Monday, March 7, 2016

This Week's Dinner Plans: 3/7 through 3/13, 2016


Each week I peek in my fridge, freezer, and garden, to see what needs to be used up and I take a couple of minutes to think of ways to use up those ingredients in the next few days...

Once again I was lazy over the weekend and we ate out/ordered in... which means that I have 3 dinners already planned for this week.  That's the silver lining!

MONDAY: Fish Tacos and Salad
This is allowing me to use up the lettuce that I bought last week, along with some of the tomatoes in my fridge and the avocado that's been ripening on my countertop.
  • From the freezer: 3 tilapia fillets
  • From the pantry: Old Bay Seasoning, bread crumbs, vegetable oil, tortillas, croutons, avocado (on countertop, actually)
  • From the fridge: green salsa, shredded cheese, Boston lettuce, Roma tomatoes
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: homemade salad dressing
  • Need to buy: nothing
TUESDAY: Pizza and Salad
I'm going shopping that day and I know I probably won't feel like cooking at dinner time so we'll do pizza from Aldi, topped with smoked ham and pepperoni for those of us who want protein too.  This will also allow me to use up the salad leftovers that we will undoubtedly have from last night's dinner.
  • From the freezer: nothing
  • From the pantry: ham and pepperoni
  • From the fridge: leftover salad from last night
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: nothing
  • Need to buy:  XL three cheese pizza from Aldi

WEDNESDAY: Southwest Beef Roast in Crockpot, Steamed Herbed Potatoes and Carrots with Carrot Ginger Bread
* bread recipe from Easy Bread Machine Baking, p 61
This is allowing me to use up one of the fossilized marinade mixes I found in my pantry, some of the potatoes I bought a few weeks ago, and to try out a new bread recipe.
  • From the freezer: Beef bottom beef roast
  • From the pantry:  Southwest marinade mix, vinegar, vegetable oil, salt, garlic powder, basil, Klondike Gold potatoes, dried onion flakes, bread flour
  • From the fridge: carrots, ginger paste, yeast
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance:  peel and cut carrots to steam, grate carrots for bread, make bread in breadmaker
  • Need to buy: nothing

THURSDAY: Blue Plate Chicken Meatloaf with Steamed Herbed Potatoes and Carrots
We like that Blue Plate Meatloaf recipe and since I have some ground chicken in the freezer, I'm going to substitute it for the ground beef for a change.
This will allow me to use up more of the red potatoes that are in my pantry and of the carrots in my fridge.
  • From the freezer: ground chicken, sliced sweet peppers
  • From the pantry:  corn bread stuffing, ketchup, potatoes, herbs
  • From the fridge: milk, carrots
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance:  nothing
  • Need to buy:  spinach

FRIDAY: Pork Chops with Sautéed Mushrooms, White Rice
This will allow me to use up the mushrooms that I bought last week and it's an easy dinner to cook on a Friday night.
  • From the freezer: Pork sirloin chops
  • From the pantry:  white rice
  • From the fridge: butter, mushrooms
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance:  nothing
  • Need to buy:  nothing

SATURDAY: Grilled Smoked Turkey Sausage and Alfredo Pasta
Easy dinner to cook on a Saturday to avoid feeling tempted to order in AGAIN.
  • From the freezer: Smoked Turkey Sausage
  • From the pantry: pasta, Alfredo sauce
  • From the fridge: nothing
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: nothing
  • Need to buy: nothing

SUNDAY: Slow Cooker 3 Cheese Broccoli Soup in Bread Bowls (Hamburger Patties for Greg)
Note: Greg wants protein so I'll grill him some hamburger patties instead.
This recipe allows me to use up the broccoli crowns I bought last week and some of the large bread rolls bought on clearance that are taking up space in my freezer.
  • From the freezer: Ground beef, broccoli, diced onion, 3 large bread rolls
  • From the pantry: flour, evaporated milk, salt & pepper, Parmesan cheese
  • From the fridge: Monterey Jack and Mild Cheddar blocks
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance:  make chicken broth with last weekend's carcass
  • Need to buy: nothing

What's cooking in your kitchen this week?

2 comments:

  1. This menu plan makes great use of supplies on hand and using things up. I like it. Also, you are thinking ahead to those days when you KNOW you are not going to feel like cooking, and planning something easier to get on the table. Way to go Nathalie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. It is indeed my plan to using what's on hand every week but it's been a struggle to keep myself motivated to do anything this past month and a half or so. I need to find my "frugal way" back, though, because I'm defeating myself these days!

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!