Friday, April 29, 2016

Food Waste Friday (4/29/16)



  • I had soaked a whole 1 lb bag of small red beans to make chili. However, my plans changed so the beans ended up soaking over 24 hours and let me tell you... they stank really badly.  So I threw them away. Didn't even think to compost them! (no picture)

  • I had to compost several strawberries that couldn't be saved, even by baking them :(  Oh well, the quart did mostly last 2 weeks in the fridge, far longer than I had expected it to.


  • I forgot to save the little bit of salad that was left after dinner on Tuesday night and when I realized it, it really didn't look good so I just composted it.









    • We ate leftovers all week.
    I'd love to hear how YOU did this week! Feel free to post links back to your own Food Waste Friday posts in the comments.


    This post was inspired by Kristen at The Frugal Girlwho started blogging about her food waste back in 2008.

    3 comments:

    1. I would have grabbed the empty bottles just for recycling purposes. Ranee (MN)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks for the suggestion, Ranee. I believe you are referring to those empty Coke bottles that I spotted in the trashcan outside of RaceTrac and wrote about in my "A Walk Through Leu Gardens" post. I agree that it annoys me that businesses like these don't put out recycling bins but after seeing our "recycling" collection crew dump everything into a truck that looks just like the regular trash pick-up truck, I'm not convinced that our county is actually recycling anything from our home collection bins.

        Delete
    2. You didn't have a lot of food waste this week, so it's a win! And, of course, you know what I did with my burnt eggs! :)

      ReplyDelete

    Anything you'd like to add? Share away!