Friday, April 1, 2016

Food Waste Friday: April 1, 2016



Nope, it's not a joke, I'm going to try to stick to posting those every Friday again. I stopped posting specifically about my Food Waste mid-February and guess what?  My food waste ramped up!  So since it's evident I cannot be responsible without this accountability, I'm going to bore everyone by starting this weekly post again :)


  • 3 potatoes that had started to rot in my pantry.  I suppose I need to stop buying veggies just because they're cheap, especially those in large quantities like this because I just end up having to throw some away. Interestingly enough, it always seems to be the Idaho/Russet potatoes that end up rotting.  The Klondike Gold and Red Potatoes have been in my pantry longer than they have and they show no sign of rotting.  No picture today, it was disgusting enough to have to smell them. Yuck!

  • The kids never finished the last three bags that I bought and they spoiled. I didn't realize because I was avoiding having to look too closely so I had to compost them. Grrr. Had I not been lazy, I could have frozen them!



  • I should have checked the fruit bowl more carefully because 3 apples spoiled without my noticing. I had to compost them.

  • I also composted the end of a cucumber that had fallen in the back of the fridge and rotten.










    • I used up some strawberries that were starting to go mushy to make Triple Berry Oatmeal Scones.  Yum!

    • I grilled the asparagus that I had bought last Thursday from Aldi.  They didn't smell very fresh when I opened the package but after I rinsed them they were OK.  I grilled them over 2 days. Unfortunately, the first day I forgot to save the ends to make asparagus soup and I just composted them. But the 2nd day I just composted the worst of the woody ends and froze the rest so I can try to make asparagus soup with them when I have enough.

    I didn't have a picture of the ends that I saved to here are the ones that I ended up grilling! which leads me to another save...
    • See the impurities in the avocado oil there in the picture?  it's because I had already basted some asparagus previously grilled with the cheeseburgers so the basting brush picked up some of the grilled meat and dropped it back into the oil. It's expensive oil and I didn't use it all up so I strained it with a fine strainer and used a funnel to put it back into the bottle. 


    • A very soft avocado ended up as an ingredient in a yummy lunch salad with a Roma tomato and some fresh basil.


    I'd love to hear how YOU did this week! Feel free to post links back to your own Food Waste Friday posts in the comments.


    This post was inspired by Kristen at The Frugal Girlwho started blogging about her food waste back in 2008.

    16 comments:

    1. I like these posts- I'm glad you are doing them again. It helps to remind me to check my own stuff to see what needs to be used up. So, from that perspective, you are doing a great service by posting this because you are actually saving food waste in multiple households. ;)
      I did have to throw away about one third of a container of strawberries the beginning of the week. I stupidly was saving them at first to make a summer cake but then just forgot about them, which was a bummer cause it was the only fresh fruit we had in the house at the time. I find that if I leave the fruit in the bowl it gets eaten up better than if I keep it in the fridge. Things like berries I need to remember to keep on the shelf in the fridge instead of the fruit drawer, since that is how I usually end up forgetting it's there.
      There were a few other things (some leftovers) that could have gone in the trash but our dog gladly spared us from wasting those items. It seems like our food trash is usually the dogs food treasure! :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Woohoo, thanks for letting me it's helpful :) I was bummed when The Frugal Girl discontinued that on her own blog since she was the one who had started it and inspired me to do it too and it has saved me so much money in 2 years.

        You can't call it food waste if it saves you on dog food, I think, lol. Sometimes I wish we had a pig whenever I throw food away that I can't compost. Or chickens.

        I have strawberries at the bottom of the fridge too and some plain yogurt I want to use up so I'm going to look for a recipe that uses both.

        Delete
      2. Oh yeah, you just reminded me that I have half a container of plain yogurt too that has to be used asap! See what I mean about how much these posts are appreciated- they are awesome! If you find a recipe to use up the yogurt I hope you will post it on your blog. :)

        Delete
      3. Well you spurred me into action so I found a yogurt coffee make recipe on Prevention.com that I adapted into a strawberry summer cake by just making the cake part of it and topping it with the strawberries. And then since I was using the oven anyway I made Cocoa Cupcakes because they sounded good and as a bonus the recipe said I could use plain yogurt instead of buttermilk. Winner! I'll post the recipes if they turn out OK...

        Delete
      4. Awesome! Thanks.
        I also made a bunch of chocolate cupcakes today for my grandmother's birthday. She is 95 years old!! We are bringing them to the nursing home later so she can share them with her friends. :)

        Delete
      5. Happy birthday to her, Happy birthday to her!

        Delete
      6. I told her that you said Happy Birthday (twice!) and she said thank you and that you are a real sweetheart! I can guarantee if you were here she would have done her Italian thing and took her hands and squeeze your cheeks til they are numb on your face. LOL. :)

        Delete
      7. LOL :) I hope she has a great birthday!

        Delete
    2. Hi Nathalie, after reading this I thought I had better check my fruit bowl, 1 banana and four lemons wasted. My mum was here at the time and she was very disappointed wit me. Oops. I need to go back to cleaning out my fridge and checking everything weekly. The avocado salad sounds yum but I never know where to start with avocados so I don't attempt it. Xx

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I love avocados but I tend to let it ripen a little too long. My favorite use for them has been to make Jalapeño soup, which is only chicken broth, chicken meat, jalapeños and slices of avocados in the broth. The creaminess of the avocado contrasts very well with the spiciness of the broth. Yum!

        It's to easy to forget to check the fruit bowl, even if it's sitting right there in front of us! There are weeks when we run out of fruit and weeks when no one seems to be eating it!

        Delete
    3. It is always hard to do things over and over and thing that no one is reading but we are always reading your posts :) I hope that it helps you too!!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Alison. I really does help me to post about it because it guilts me into paying more attention to what's happening in my fridge. So I will keep on posting about it!

        Delete
    4. I enjoy your blog even though I don't comment often. Have you ever dehydrated your grapes? They make great raisins for baking oatmeal cookies!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi Shelley, thanks for your comment :) You're right, I could have dehydrated them! I completely forgot about that option, darn it, and I bought raisins just a couple of weeks too :( I'll have to keep that in mind for the next time, although I'm thinking I won't be buying grapes for a while now.

        Delete
    5. I, too, have enjoyed your food waste post. It's not a waste if you are composting some of it - think of it as paying for fertilizer for the garden! :)

      I've had more food waste recently than ever before, because I'm not eating half the food I've bought or cooked, due to loss of appetite, etc. Just today, I found that the last bagel had mold and I tossed it. I think it can't be helped while I go through treatment, so I am cutting myself some slack.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Bless, you have the trump card of excuses. I would think that you probably don't want to be stressing over a little food waste with the other issues you have to deal with. You are an amazing woman, I'm so inspired by your attitude and your spunk! Thanks for sharing your days with us.

        Delete

    Anything you'd like to add? Share away!