Friday, April 8, 2016

Food Waste Friday



  • Several weeks ago I had zested and juiced a 4-lb bag of lemons. I didn't freeze the juice because I had no room and also because the freezer wouldn't be a logical place for me to look for lemon juice as I keep a bottle of reconstituted juice in the pantry. So I put it in a container in the fridge and did use some... but I just noticed that the rest of it had mold in it so I poured it down the drain.



  • Also several weeks ago,I cooked some butternut squash and saved the seeds so I could season them and roast them for Greg. Only they just sat in a cereal bowl after I had washed and dried them and I just noticed that a few had started showing some mold.  Also, I need my cereal bowl back!  So I just composted them. It'll declutter my countertop a little as well so there are lots of pluses to this waste. Yes, I'm rationalizing my laziness!

  • This opened pack of turkey bacon had been in my fridge forever. I didn't even try to open the ziploc bag, I just threw everything away.


  •  This strawberry had started to rot so I composted it.




  • This disgusting science experiment was a jar of homemade zesty refrigerator pickles.  It must have gotten contaminated from the fork I had used to fish the pickles out?  I just threw everything away, yes, even the jar.


  • These 4 oranges had been bought several weeks ago and fallen behind the glass shelf at the bottom of my fridge so I didn't see them until it was too late.  They were composted.









    • Several of the strawberries that were getting a little long in the tooth were used for strawberry shortcakes.


    • Greg didn't finish his morning tea one day, since he was planning on getting a large (free) soda from RaceTrac for this commute.  So I drank it at lunch time.  We also reused tea bags this week, and I finished a teapot of Green Peach tea that I had brewed 3 days earlier.



    • I noticed that the last pumpkin that I had bought before Halloween was starting to develop a soft spot so I cut it up, saved the seeds to roast them, and steamed the flesh.  I used some of it in my Curried Chicken Red Lentil Stew and the rest was used to make pumpkin purée that I will use to make pumpkin pie or pumpkin bread.



    • Greg had left a little bit of Apple Jacks at the bottom of  of a box, and I happened to have a little bit of milk left from my bowl of generic cheerios that I had for breakfast, so I dumped the Apple Jacks bits and dust in the milk.  I don't like plain milk very much so I made myself a treat while avoiding some food waste, yay!


    • We ate leftovers pretty much every day. Once upon a time I threw a lot of leftovers away but in the past couple of years, since blogging about my Food Waste, I don't think I've thrown any of it away unless it was particularly disgusting (like the turkey carcass goop soup that I tried making the first time).  However, I've also put on weight so not wasting food is causing me to not "waste" pounds either!


    I'd love to hear how YOU did this week! Feel free to post links back to your own Food Waste Friday posts in the comments.


    This post was inspired by Kristen at The Frugal Girlwho started blogging about her food waste back in 2008.

    7 comments:

    1. Or not wasting food has caused you to "waist" food. See what I did there? HA. (I should talk).

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. An excellent pun (**clapping**), my daughter, the Queen of Corny Puns, will approve. She, however, shook her head at me when I announced that it was chilly as soon as we entered Chili's earlier this week and I hadn't even meant for it to come out as a pun, it actually was cold in there, lol.

        Delete
    2. Thank you for being so honest about your food waste! Lately, I've had quite a bit of food waste, too, because of loss of appetite, changing taste buds, etc. I haven't kept a record, though, but this week there were some leftover salmon cakes, a cauliflower, 1/4 of a half gallon of 2% milk which soured and 1/2 an over-ripe banana.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I was going to say you could have made banana pancakes with the sour milk and the banana and frozen them, but with your change of taste buds, as you said, it must be tricky to decide what to try to save and what to pitch.

        Delete
    3. They would have sat in the freezer along with the rest of the stuff I've cooked and frozen. :(

      ReplyDelete

    Anything you'd like to add? Share away!