My official 2016 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) but I really aim to spend $50 or less.
However this week I went shopping (yesterday) without being fully prepared and without much sleep, due to a chaotic night and morning. Consequently, I shopped mainly at Aldi. I stocked up on a few items due to promotions, used very few coupons and only used my CVS gift card to get 3 items for free.
Let's see how I did!
Budget for the week: $100.00
Total OOP: $68.32
Rebates expected: $0.75
Total spent after rebates: $67.57
Money left in budget: $32.43
Baking Supplies: $3.17 OOP
- I needed to restock my pantry with evaporated milk. I had originally planned on getting it from Walmart (free with my SB gift card) but I skipped Walmart this week and the price was low enough that I decided to buy 2 cans.
- I thought I was out of chocolate chips so I bought a bag, but I found another one in my pantry when I got back. It won't go to waste in our house, though!
- (2) cans evaporated milk (Aldi) @ $0.69 each = $1.38
- (1) bag mini chocolate chips (Aldi) @ $1.79
Beverages: $0.00 OOP
- My daughter, Greg and I each downloaded the new RaceTrac app that came with (7) coupons for free 32-oz fountain drinks each and we put those to good use (they expire 14 days after issue!).
- (15) 32-oz fountain drinks (RaceTrac), all FREE with my, Greg's and my daughter's RaceTrac Rewards app (since last week's trip)
Breads/Baked Goods: $1.70 OOP
- (1) 8-ct hamburger buns (Aldi) @ $0.85
- (1) loaf white bread (Aldi) @ $0.85
- (1) box Cocoa Puffs (CVS), on sale @ $1.99, minus $1.00/1 printable manufacturer coupon from Betty Crocker e-newsletter and minus $0.75 ExtraCare Bucks redemption = $0.24 but FREE after paying with CVS gift card earned with Amex Rewards program, and also submitted for a $0.75 SavingStar rebate.
- (1) box Honey Nut Cheerios (CVS), on sale @ $1.99, minus $0.75/1 printable manufacturer coupon from Betty Crocker e-newsletter = $1.24 but FREE after paying with CVS gift card earned with Amex Rewards program
Dairy: $8.94 OOP
- The whipped cream was unnecessary but we love it and the kids use it to top several baked goods or French toast so I decided to indulge them another week. Plus I might make another pumpkin pie.
- I thought we had fewer cups of yogurt left than we actually had, but Greg will eat them so I'll just buy fewer next week.
- (1) gallon whole milk (CVS), on sale @ $2.79 but FREE after paying with CVS gift card earned with Amex Rewards program and received $0.25 back from MobiSave so $0.25 MONEY MAKER
- (1) aerosol can whipped cream (Aldi) @ $2.29
- (1) 8 oz block mild cheddar (Aldi) @ $1.89
- (1) package American cheese slices (Aldi) @ $1.89
- (8) cups yogurt (Aldi) @ $0.39 each = $3.12
- I had been looking for the Fit & Active light mayonnaise for several weeks, to no avail so when I saw it today, I grabbed 4 jars. They should last us easily through the end of the year.
- The salt is mostly for Greg to use when he tans the squirrel skins, but I'm keeping it in the pantry so I'm counting it as groceries.
- I wanted the smaller boxes of mac'n cheese but apparently they had been on sale for 33 cents a box and my store was completely out of them so since I had put mac'n cheese on the menu this week, I bought this larger box of shells & cheese.
- (4) jars Fit & Active low fat mayo (Aldi) @ $1.89 each = $7.56
- (2) canisters salt (Aldi) @ $0.39 each = $0.78
- ()1 box Shells & Cheese (Aldi) @ $1.19
- I had planned on buying only 1 bottle of organic apple juice but I happened to look at the price tag and saw that the price had been reduced by 70 cents a bottle! I wasn't sure if it was a temporary price reduction or what so I stocked up.
- Aldi had a lot more produce on sale than I expected so I bought items that I hadn't planned on buying there such as a cantaloupe and 3 packages of strawberries.
- I could probably had left the tomatoes and the cucumber as I had those in my fridge already so I'll just make sure to make more salads so we actually use them up.
- The navel oranges went straight to the fridge as I was still finishing the last bag that I had bought a few weeks ago. The navel oranges have been terrific this year, I don't remember ever eating so many oranges (I'm the only one who eats them!).
- (6) 64-oz bottles organic apple juice (Aldi) @ $1.99 each = $11.94
- (3) lbs strawberries (Aldi) @ $1.29 each = $3.87
- (3) lbs Red Delicious apples (Aldi) @ $2.89
- (1) Boston lettuce (Aldi) @ $1.399
- (1) lb on the vine tomatoes (Aldi) @ $1.29
- (1) seedless cucumber (Aldi) @ $0.69 and received $0.25 back from Checkout 51 so $0.44
- (2.53) lbs bananas (Aldi) @ $0.44/lb = $1.11 and received $0.25 back from MobiSave so $0.86
- (8) lbs navel oranges (Aldi) @ $1.99 each = $3.98
- (2) avocados (Aldi) @ $0.79 each = $1.58
- (1) cantaloupe (Aldi) @ $0.99 each = $0.99
- I had noticed the $4 off stickers on the packages of corned beef last week but since the packages in stock had been very large, I hadn't bought any. I didn't have room in the freezer for them. I'm glad I checked again today since I found just 1 package in a size that suited me. The cashier forgot to deduct the $4.00 but despite my fatigue, I remembered to check my receipt before I left the store and spotted the mistake so she refunded me.
- I also asked her to refund me for the $2.89 I had just spent on pre-cooked bacon. I had read the wrong label and thought I was splurging on $1.99 bacon but seeing the actual price on the receipt gave me buyer's remorse so I returned it.
- I could have just bought 1 package of ham OR turkey, but Greg goes through spurts of eating more protein and I didn't want to run the risk for the kids not to have meat for sandwiches.
- (1) lb Black Forest ham (Aldi) @ $3.49
- (1) lb Black Forest turkey (Aldi) @ $3.49
- (1.62) lbs corned beef flats (Aldi) @ $4.39/lb = $7.11,minus $4.00 store coupon = $3.11
Snacks: $5.66 OOP
- The chips will actually be used a side item when/if I cook cheeseburgers, but I'm listing them as a snack.
- I have tried to maximize my use of my Daily Free Bagel in April Panera Reward by letting my daughter use it when she drives to Clermont. They've all been very tasty :)
- Similarly, I have redeemed quite a few RaceTrac survey reward codes since we gas up 3 cars at RaceTrac (and don't wait until the tanks are empty) and the Clermont station attendants keep on giving me receipts when we redeem freebies!
- (1) box protein bars (Aldi) @ $1.99
- (1) package peanut butter crackers (Aldi) @ $0.89
- (1) box Swiss rolls (Aldi) @ $1.29
- (1) bag potato chips (Aldi) @ $1.49
- (6) assorted bagels (Panera, since last week's trip) FREE with April Daily Reward
- (9) assorted bakery items (RaceTrac, since last week's trip) FREE with survey reward codes redemptions
Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week? Please link up or share your finds in the comments :)