My official 2016 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) but I really aim to spend $50 or less.
This week is technically my last week as far as my April grocery budget is concerned. I was able to use gift cards at CVS and Walmart to reduce my OOP, but I spent a lot in snacks to treat my family who always seems to be aimlessly standing at the pantry door telling me that there is nothing to eat!
Let's see how I did!
Budget for the week: $100.00
Total OOP: $56.63
Rebates expected: $0.00
Total spent after rebates: $56.63
Money left in budget: $43.37
Baking Supplies: $0.00 OOP
- The price has gone up a lot since last Fall when I paid $2.52!
- 5-b bag Gold bread flour (Walmart) @ $3.48 but FREE after paying with gift card from Swagbucks.
Beverages: $0.00 OOP
- None needed
Breads/Baked Goods: $1.70 OOP
- I thought I still had a $0.25 Ibotta rebate on bread at Walmart, but by the time I had bought it, it had disappeared from my line-up.
- I was cheap and picked the Cuban bread @ $0.30 from the clearance rack instead of picking the French bread for $0.50. Should have picked the French bread. It's far from being French, but it's better than the Cuban.
- 1 8-ct bag hamburger buns (Aldi) @ $0.85
- 1 loaf wheat bread (Walmart) @ $0.98 but FREE after paying with gift card from Swagbucks
- 1 loaf white bread (Aldi) @ $0.85
- 1 loaf Cuban bread (Walmart), on clearance @ $0.30 but FREE after paying with gift card from Swagbucks.
- I had hoped to buy the Grape Nuts at SuperTarget since they had a 15% Cartwheel. However, they were out of stock. I wasn't too upset because I realized that their price had gone up to $3.22 a box!
- No one had the Special K on sale this week, so I didn't think my coupons were as maximized as they could have been, but we were completely out of it so I had to buy it at Walmart anyway. The price at SuperTarget has gone up too ($3.07 a box)
- 2 boxes Special K (Walmart) @ $2.97 each, minus (2) $1.00/1 printable coupons from Kellogg's Family Rewards, but FREE after paying with gift card from Swagbucks.
- 2 boxes Grape Nuts (Walmart) @ $2.92 each, but FREE after paying with gift card from Swagbucks.
Dairy: $12.22 OOP
- My kids have been putting whipped cream on everything recently, so I bought them another can.
- I'm making Frito pies this week so I bought that cheese melt bar. It was either that or a jar of cheese sauce which was way cheaper, but I didn't think the jar would contain enough cheese for the 4 of us. Now I'm afraid I'm going to be stuck with most of that brick for a while. I might need to make homemade mac'n cheese every night for a while!
- This week the shredded cheese was cheaper per ounce than the brick cheese (which has gone down to $1.69 a brick!), according to the shelf label. I should have made my own calculation but I didn't feel great.
- 1 brick cheese melt (Aldi) @ $3.99
- 1 24-oz bag Mexican style shredded cheese (Aldi) @ $2.49
- 1 package American cheese slices (Aldi) @ $1.89
- 1 can whipped cream (Aldi) @ $2.29
- 4 cups yogurt (Aldi) @ $0.39 each = $1.56
- 2 gallons whole milk (CVS), on sale @ $2.79 each, minus $0.55/1 coupon from insert = $5.03 but FREE after paying with gift card from American Express Rewards program.
- Most of that salt will probably be used to make homemade weed killer or to cure squirrel pelts, but I didn't think about it and accounted for it with my groceries.
- 2 canisters iodized table salt (Aldi) @ $0.39 each = $0.78
- I should have tasted the grapes prior to buying them because they are horribly tart. I might need to turn them into raisins.
- I thought I was going to get both bananas for free by combining a rebate from MobiSave with a rebate from Ibotta, but my Ibotta rebate evidently expired last night:(
- I counted the apples and oranges to make sure I picked the bags with the most fruit in them. I go by the piece, not the weight.
- 0.84 lbs bananas (Walmart) @ $0.56/lb = $0.47 but FREE after paying with gift card from Swagbucks and received $0.25 back from MobiSave so $0.25 MONEY MAKER.
- 1 Boston lettuce (Aldi) @ $1.99
- 4 lbs Navel oranges (Aldi) on sale @ $1.79
- 3 lbs Red Delicious apples (Aldi), @ $2.89 and received $0.25 back from Checkout 51 so $2.64
- 2 avocados (Aldi) @ $0.79 each = $1.58
- 2 20-oz packages zucchini (Aldi), on sale @ $0.99 each = $1.98
- 2.62 lbs grapes (Save A Lot) on sale @ $0.99/lb = $2.59
- I technically didn't need any proteins this week, but I wanted to keep a package of sausage in my freezer and I feel better when I have 3 dozens eggs in my fridge at all times. Weird, I know!
- 1 dozen large eggs (Aldi) @ $1.15
- 1 package mild italian chicken sausage (Aldi), on sale @ $2.49
Snacks: $25.97 OOP and received $3.00 in Register Rewards
- I went way overboard on the snacks this week, but I like to treat my family. The Snickers (bar and bag) will go in my personal chocolate stash, but the rest is meant for the kids and Greg
- I don't know how I got confused but I thought the energy bars (bought because they were out of protein bars) would be $2.49 but I realized, once home, that they had charged me$4.69 for them!
- 2 packages mints (Aldi) @ $0.99 each = $1.98
- 1 package peanut butter crackers (Aldi) @ $0.89
- 1 box organic energy bars (Aldi) @ $4.69
- 1 box Swiss rolls (Aldi) @ $1.29
- 1 bag churros (Aldi), on sale @ $0.89
- 1 bag stick pretzels (Aldi) @ $1.29
- 1 bag cheese curls (Aldi) @ $0.99
- 1 jar hazelnut spread (Save A Lot) @ $1.99
- 1 bag Snickers Crisper (Walgreens) @ 3.00 + tax = $3.21 and received $3.00 back in Register Rewards
- 4 pints Ben & Jerry's ice cream (Publix) on BOGO at $4.79 + tax, minus $1.50/1 store coupon = $8.75
- 1 Snickers bar (CVS) @ $1.19, minus $1.19 manufacturer coupon from IWG
- 1 blueberry muffin (RaceTrac), FREE with survey reward code (not pictured)
- 1 lemon glazed coffee cake (RaceTrac), FREE with survey reward code (not pictured)
- 1 asiago cheese bagel (Panera), FREE with daily reward in April
Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week? Please link up or share your finds in the comments :)