Monday, April 18, 2016

This Week's Dinner Plans: 4/18 through 4/24, 2016


Each week I peek in my fridge, freezer, and garden, to see what needs to be used up and I take a couple of minutes to think of ways to use up those ingredients in the next few days...

I'm not feeling great right now and I'm all stuffed up so this is a very uninspired menu but it'll have to do!

MONDAY:  Smoked Turkey Sausage, Mac'n Cheese, Side Salad
  • From the freezer: Smoked turkey sausage
  • From the pantry: box of mac'n cheese dinner
  • From the fridge: butter, leftover salad from last night
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: nothing
  • Need to buy: nothing

TUESDAY:  Tuna Patties and Rice, Side Salad
  • From the freezer: nothing
  • From the pantry: cans of tuna, rice
  • From the fridge: eggs, homemade bread crumbs, cheese, lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: defrost pork roast for tomorrow, make baked beans in crockpot for tomorrow.
  • Need to buy: nothing

WEDNESDAY: BBQ Pork Sandwiches, Baked Beans
  • From the freezer: nothing
  • From the pantry: barbecue sauce, baked beans, buns
  • From the fridge: defrosted pork roast, baked beans
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance:  **crockpot meal**
  • Need to buy: hamburger buns

THURSDAY:  Chicken Quesadillas, Yellow Broth
* Soup recipe comes from "The Soup Bible, p 130" but I'm adapting it by using a can of turnip greens instead of spinach
  • From the freezer: chicken breast, diced celery
  • From the pantry: onion,flour, steel-cut oats, can of turnip greens
  • From the fridge: flour tortillas, shredded cheese, butter, baby carrots, Better Than Bouillon,sour cream
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: soak red beans overnight for chili to be cooked tomorrow
  • Need to buy: nothing

FRIDAY:  Brisket with Sweet Onions, Mashed Potatoes
Recipe from "Crockpot's 5 Ingredients of Less Dump Meals"
  • From the freezer: blue cheese crumbles, ground turkey for chili
  • From the pantry: sweet onions from neighbor, Klondike Gold potatoes
  • From the fridge: Brisket, Better Than Bouillon Beef base, milk, butter
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance:  **crockpot meal**, cook chili in pressure cooker
  • Need to buy: nothing

SATURDAY: Frito Pies
  • From the freezer: nothing
  • From the pantry: corn chips
  • From the fridge: sour cream, chili
  • Need to harvest: green onions
  • Need to make in advance:  nothing
  • Need to buy: velveeta-kind of cheese or cheese sauce

SUNDAY:  Cheeseburgers and Salad
  • From the freezer: ground beef
  • From the pantry: hamburger buns
  • From the fridge: cucumber, tomatoes, cheese slices, light mayo, ketchup
  • Need to harvest: lettuce
  • Need to make in advance: nothing
  • Need to buy: hamburger buns

What's cooking in your kitchen this week?

5 comments:

  1. Sorry you aren't feeling great. I know that making a menu plan when you aren't in the mood is not the most fun. Here is hoping that you feel better and can pull off the menu plan that you made. I want Fritos Pie :) YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better! Your menu looks yummy -- like Alison, I lingered over that Fritos Pie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, and here I thought people who think me a horrible mother for wanting to feed that to my family :) I didn't know about Fritos pies until I volunteered at the snack stand during one of my daughter's volleyball games. Oh my, those things were so popular! I'm going to try to make the chili in my pressure cooker. I've never used the pressure cooker so I'm super nervous that I'm going to blow up the house. I will feel much more accomplished as a homemaker once I have "conquered" that skill, though. My parents each use their old-fashioned pressure cooker almost every day, so I feel very deficient in this area!

      Delete
  3. Hope you feel better soon. Your menu plan looks good though! And how great that you can put together a whole week's worth of meals without having to buy anything other than some hamburger buns and cheese! Well done!

    By the way, I've never mastered using a pressure cooker, myself. My mother used to have one, when I was growing up, but I've never used one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one, then! I am pretty worried about burning myself with the steam but it's probably not as complicated as I imagine it to be. I've read 2 books about cooking with pressure cookers last year but I've forgotten all about it already! I think one of them is on my Kindle. I should go read it again.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!