Monday, April 4, 2016

This Week's Dinner Plans: 4/4 through 4/10, 2016


Each week I peek in my fridge, freezer, and garden, to see what needs to be used up and I take a couple of minutes to think of ways to use up those ingredients in the next few days...



MONDAY: Oven-Ready Lasagna with Chicken & Mustard Greens and Side Salad
The recipe calls for spinach but as I explained last week, the canned spinach was too high in sodium for me so I picked mustard greens instead.
  • From the freezer: ground chicken, shredded Parmesan
  • From the pantry: oven-ready lasagna noodles, flour, EVOO, mustard greens
  • From the fridge: milk, butter, minced garlic, lettuce. olives, grape tomatoes, homemade dressing
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: salad dressing
  • Need to buy: nothing

TUESDAY: Curried Red Lentil Chicken Stew
This recipe allows me to use up the chicken thighs that I defrosted several days ago and never used up.  I don't have any butternut squash so I'm going to add some frozen rutabaga instead (why not?!). I can even add plain yogurt if I want to! We'll see if I still have some after I bake another Strawberry Yogurt Cake tomorrow.
  • From the freezer: chicken stock, rutabaga
  • From the pantry: boneless chicken thighs, dried apricots, red lentils, soy sauce, cumin, thyme, ginger, coriander, lemon juice
  • From the fridge: minced garlic, Roma tomatoes, 1/2 onion
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: chop dried apricots ** Cook dinner early since I will be out with my daughter in the evening **
  • Need to buy: nothing

WEDNESDAY: Bacon-Cheeseburger Chowder with Crescent Rolls
  • From the freezer: ground beef, sweet peppers, turkey bacon
  • From the pantry: onion, potatoes, beef bouillon granulés, crescent roll dough
  • From the fridge: minced garlic, milk
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: **defrost chicken breasts for tomorrow**
  • Need to buy: cheddar cheese

THURSDAY: Chicken Enchilada Pasta Skillet with Side Salad
  • From the freezer: red pepper
  • From the pantry: penne pasta, onion, chili powder, cumin, sugar, oregano, tomato sauce
  • From the fridge: lettuce, cucumber, grape tomatoes, homemade dressing, minced garlic, defrosted chicken breasts, cilantro paste, cheddar cheese
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: cook chicken breasts and shred
  • Need to buy: nothing

FRIDAY: Salisbury Steak Supreme, Zesty Stir Fried Brussels Sprouts and Rice
  • From the freezer: ground beef
  • From the pantry: onion, salt-free seasoning blend, pepper, nutmeg, corn starch, beef bouillon granulés, canned mushrooms, EVOO, lemon pepper seasoning, ground mustard
  • From the fridge: homemade bread crumbs, butter, Brussels Sprouts
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: nothing
  • Need to buy: nothing

SATURDAY: Leftovers Night
The kids will be at Universal Studios so Greg and I will just eat leftovers.


SUNDAY: Cheeseburgers and Tortilla Chips
Unimaginative as it'll be the 3rd Sunday in a row that I cook the same dinner, but we like it and so that's what we're having, lol.
  • From the freezer: ground beef
  • From the pantry: tortilla chips
  • From the fridge: condiments, sliced cheese
  • Need to harvest: nothing
  • Need to make in advance: nothing
  • Need to buy: hamburger buns

What's cooking in your kitchen this week?

8 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely! Meal planning was the one thing I could never do properly. I tend to cook a couple of main dishes and have them throughout the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it's just me (i.e. when Greg and the kids are gone on their own trips), I don't bother planning meals at all. I usually make a big batch of soup and eat it throughout the week. I think it's harder to cook just for one.

      Delete
  2. Mmmm yum. There is nothing wrong with eating the same thing several times if you enjoy it. I seem to be jealous of everyone at the minute, but I am jealous of you sweet kids for spending Saturday at universal! I'm sure there is something wrong with me if I'm jealous of children ha ha xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm jealous of kids all the time (of their energy most of all) so you won't be scolded by me! I wasn't going to go to Universal but now I'm thinking that maybe I'll take my son in the morning to have a "Mommy Date" and have my daughter meet us there after her ACT test and at that time I'll leave them there and I'll go to my oldest son's Senior Recital since it's at 5 p.m.

      Delete
    2. You should go. A 'Mommy date' sounds lovely. You'll have a great morning and then when your daughter arrives you should have a nice relaxed drink together before you head off to your son's Recital. Sounds like a really nice day. Xx

      Delete
    3. We'll see. To tell you the truth, I don't like Universal Studios very much and I hate crowds. But it might be the last time he and I get to do this on our own or at all so I'm thinking that I might. I'll have to ask him if he wants to.

      Delete
  3. We had totchos (nachos using tater tots instead of chips) for dinner tonight, so it will hopefully only go up from here. ;) I think a spinach and feta quiche will be one night, and maybe I will finally roast the turkey I've been meaning to forever. Maybe pork chops and mashed potatoes. You see why I write things down after I make them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I made totchos last year and we all loved it. I should put that on the menu again... although I don't have room for tater tots in the freezer right at the moment. I love spinach quiche, I also made it for myself in the past couple of years but no one else liked it. No matter, I ate it all for lunch throughout the week!

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!