I was tired last night so I actually slept well and didn't like my alarm ringing at 6:45... for once I could have slept in!
Greg and I watched the latest episode of Game of Thrones last night via HBONow, the first episode now that we're paying for it ($14.99 a month). We didn't like it but of course we'll keep on watching, hahaha.
My laptop crashed again on my last night so I had to do the Hard Reset maneuver again. It's getting old. Also our internet went down and rebooting the modem and router didn't do anything so I called Brighthouse and a tech remotely rebooted our modem and that did the trick. No idea what happened. They claimed there weren't any outages in our area although there were storms passing nearby and we lost our connection during one of those (and no, it didn't rain here!). I was relieved that we were able to re-establish the connection, though. It's pretty horrible not to have the internet nowadays if you're not the one deciding you're going to go screen-free for a while!
So far this morning (it's 9:18 a.m.), I've pretty much only been communicating with my BFF (Jodie) and then my son's BFF's mom (Leslie, the lady who is moving to France with her family for a year) to coordinate some networking for Jodie. The 2 ladies used to know each other in passing several years ago although they don't really remember each other right now. Leslie mom will keep her eyes and ears open for positions in her organization at Disney (HR), where Jodie used to work. I proofread Jodie's résumé and forwarded it on to Leslie, and then worked on trying to find job listings of interest at local large employers and city governments in our area. Jodie is kind of in a daze, still, and I know exactly how she feels so I'm just trying to help in my own way. Ideally? She'd get a job where she needs a secretary and she hires me, LOL. I don't want a job but I'd love to work with Jodie again. I used to be the secretary of the department where she worked several years ago (shoot, almost 20 years ago, I think!), that's how we . She's awesome.
But I also need to get dressed and get going because I want to go grocery shopping today. No adventures for me today, just... chores. Yuck.
I also saw a posting for a band teacher at our middle school so I texted my oldest son to see if he would be interested in applying but he hasn't replied and, in truth, I don't think he's qualified since he doesn't have a teaching certificate anyway. At least I don't think he does. But since you never know, I figured I would tell him about it. It would be weird for him to teach band at the school where his own musical career started, hahaha.
Oh and Leslie? She found an awesome apartment in a gorgeous building in Paris, within view of the Eiffel Tower (and I mean close to the Eiffel Tower, not miles and miles away). The kids and I actually walked very close to her street last year when we were visiting, it feels weird to think that my son's BFF will be LIVING there for a year. And yes it's still very hard not to be jealous. Or think "damn it, I should have tried to remain with Disney after my layoff, it could have been me, maybe?!" but it wouldn't have because I would have been a secretary anyway, not an HR professional :) But I'm still jealous, lol. I'm happy for them, they're very excited.
- I packed leftovers for Greg's lunch.
- Redeemed 2,550 KFR points for three $1.00/1 coupons for Kellogg's bars so I can stock up on Kellogg's Special K with Berries cereal bars for my daughter at CVS this morning.
- I did 1 super and 1 large load of laundry on cold/cold. I think everything should be able to be dried outdoors today. I want to get going with my shopping, though, so I think I'll hang it this afternoon.
- I reused water collected in the shower to flush the toilet.
- I almost forgot to use the code for a free 8 x 10 reprint at Walgreens! I ordered a b&w portrait of my oldest son taken by my middle son recently. I hate how Walgreens photos wants us to crop the original images. It's going to print all off-centered now and I can't even get his whole trumpet in :( But hey, free, right?
- I also found a coupon for a freebie cup of yogurt that expires today, yikes! So now I need to go to Publix too.
- I washed my sneakers with my 2nd load of laundry (undies, exercise clothes, nothing too important) because they smelled swampy. I'll dry them outside. In the meantime, I unearthed the pair of Nike Air that I had bought last year at Kohl's and hated. I thought that maybe I hadn't loosened the laces enough so I did that today but nope, they still pinch my feet very badly, it's going to be an uncomfortable shopping trip today. I think Nike mislabeled a pair of narrow fit shoes.
- My daughter wanted me to buy her a hook so she would hang her robe from the back side of her closet door. I looked in my stash and found some Command hooks that I had bought on 75% clearance at CVS some months ago. Yay!
- I threw away a portion of wooden railing that had come with my sons' bunk beds 14 years ago. I already got rid of one of the bed frames so the railing was useless. I collected the hardware, though. I also threw away a lamp that I had bought at Goodwill last year for what is now my room. It worked fine but the feet were broken and it wobbled dangerously. I couldn't fix it satisfactorily and I didn't want to trick anybody else into buying it from a thrift store either so I pitched it. I collected the CFL that was still in there and added it to my stash to donate to my kids once they have apartments, and also kept the glass shelves, maybe we can use them for a project of some sort.
- I packed an apple to bring as a snack on my shopping trip. On second thought, it was getting late so I packed a sandwich and some pretzel sticks too.
- I dropped off recyclables such as plastic bags and foam trays/egg cartons that aren't collected by my town's recycling department, for free, at Publix.
- I stopped by RaceTrac and got a CF Diet Coke refill for free with my Sodapalooza. I was going to get a free 16 oz coffee with a survey reward code but the cups were only labeled small, medium or large, so I asked a nearby attendant which I should get. Oh my, guess what he told me?! He said that I could actually get any size coffee I wanted AND that actually, I didn't have to get coffee, even though the receipt specified 16 oz coffee... he said that the survey reward codes are always good for either an any size coffee, a bakery item or a hot grill roller item! Why didn't anybody ever tell me this?!? So I got a chocolate doughnut for my son. I felt weird bringing it to the cash register but the cashier took my code without batting an eye. I texted my daughter about this but she said she would feel weird doing this...
- Then I went to Habitat for Humanity ReStore to drop off my donations. I wasn't sure if they would take the spray paint and containers of cleaning products that we didn't want anymore, but the attendant accepted them. Then I went inside to find a replacement for my tea pitcher, found one for just $0.99, as well as a pasta dryer for just $2.99, a replacement mop for $2.99 and a very cool brand new Nordic Ware castle cakelettes baking pan for $9.99. I just couldn't resist it... my sons might be a little too old for those but Greg has a grandson now! I just love baking supplies. When I got home, my daughter wanted to make castle cakes right away but we decided to wait until the weekend. I went on Amazon and hold on to your seats, it will cost you $99 if you want to buy it new. WHAT?!?! Woohoo! A used one is $49.99 so I should be able to make a nice profit if I wanted to resell it.
- I then drove to Save A Lot, where I was very lucky to find several items on 50% off clearance on top of the items I wanted to buy. The items I got on clearance were a cherry pie ($2.00), a caramel nut coffee cake ($1.50), a 2-lb bag of collard greens ($2.00), 2 quarts of 2% milk ($0.65 each), a gallon of skim milk ($1.25). They also had Jennie-O turkey patties on clearance for $1.95 but I wasn't sure if my $1.50/2 ground turkey coupons would be applicable and then I remembered that the last time I had bought those patties, we hadn't liked them at all. So I didn't buy them. I paid with Discover because I'll get 2% back in Bonus Rewards.
- At the RaceTrac station in Clermont, I refilled my gas tank for $2.09/gallon (6 cents/gallon cheaper than at the station near my house) and asked the station manager if the deal with the survey reward codes was the same at his station and he said yes. Woohoo! So I got a free blueberry muffin for my daughter. I earned 17 Reward points on my app.
- My next stop was CVS. I bought one gallon of milk (on sale for $2.79), 3 boxes of Special K Red Berries cereal bars (for my daughter). I could get 2 for on sale $3.00 each, and if I bought a 3rd one at full price ($3.79), I would receive a $2.00 ECB. So I got three and redeemed the three $1.00/1 coupons that I ordered this morning from KFR. I also bought a Snickers bar with "Grouchy" printed on it for my youngest son. It was on sale for $0.99 and I got a $0.75 ECB back on it. So my OOP was $8.53 but it was free to me since I paid with the CVS gift card earned from our American Express Rewards, and I got $2.75 back.
- The bulk of my shopping was done, as usually at Aldi. I was able to return my 2 bird feeding stations so I was refunded a little over $21. I'm very relieved! I also lucked out by finding whole chickens with $2 off stickers on them placed to $1.00 off stickers. I only bought one since I have no freezer space. I thought the chicken would then be $2.71 because it had been discounted by $1.00 first and then by another $1.00 to make it $2.00, but the cashier deducted both stickers so I paid $1.71 for the almost 5 lb chicken! I so wish I had had more room in the freezer! I also found a family pack of 3 huge bone-in chicken breasts originally priced at $1.79/lb so $8.11 for the pack, but it had a $4.00 off sticker on it. However, the cashier deducted $4.11 so I paid just $4.00 for 4.53 lbs of chicken breasts. I didn't buy a lot of fruit this week (apples, bananas, strawberries), but I did buy veggies (potatoes, zucchini, broccoli, Romaine hearts, sweet corn). Aside from food, I also bought 2 jugs of cat litter, a set of salad plates for my daughter (for when she has an apartment), and 2 sets of freezer boxes. My OOP was $76.57 and I paid with Amex (3% Rewards).
- I stopped by Winn Dixie Liquor Store to get the whiskey that they didn't have last week... but they were still out :( So I didn't get anything.
- At Publix, I got a cup of Yoplait Greek yogurt for free after coupon, some roach traps (I had a $2.00 off store coupon), and 3 bottles of Old Spice body spray for Greg (they were cheaper than at CVS or Walgreens and I used three $1.10/1 off printable coupons as well). I also bought 2 pints of Ben & Jerry's ice cream on BOGO for Greg (I had a $1.00 off 2 insert coupon for those but I didn't have the store coupons that apparently had been in the paper last month.. I think I might have already used them?!). My OOP was $20.65 and I paid with Amex (3% Rewards).
- Then at Walgreens I picked up my free 8 x 10 reprint. I was hoping to get a bag of organic Black Forest gummy bears on sale at $1.50 for which I would have redeemed a $1.00 coupon and gotten a $1.50 Register Reward, but they were completely out. I asked my favorite cashier if a raincheck would produce the RR (since CVS will issue ECBs with a raincheck even after the ECB deal has expired) but she said no. So I was going to leave but she said she didn't want me to leave empty handed and that she has larger bags of non organic Black Forest gummy bears on clearance for $0.75. I told her that I had a $1.00 coupon so I wasn't going to work but then she changed the price to $1.00 so she could accept the $1.00 coupon. So I paid $0.07 (the sales tax) for the bag. That was nice of her but... paying $0.50 and getting $1.50 back would have been a better deal! I might be able to do it on Thursday since a truck is supposed to come in then. I do have another $1.00 coupon. We'll see.
- I stopped by RaceTrac by my house again to get my 2nd free CF Diet Coke refill and a free frozen drink refill for my youngest son.
- Back at home, my daughter helped me unload the car, and I documented my trip and put everything away.
- I submitted my receipts for the following rebates:
- Publix: $0.10 off ice cream (MobiSave), $0.10 off deodorant (MobiSave)
- Aldi: $0.10 off apples (MobiSave), $0.10 off bread (MobiSave), $0.10 off bananas (MobiSave), $0.25 off potatoes (Checkout 51)
- CVS: $0.10 off milk (MobiSave)
- I will earn KFR points automatically with my ExtraCare card for my Special K cereal bar purchase at CVS.
- Greg got a small hourly raise, and a pretty sizeable bonus (cash and stock options. I hate stock options, they make my life miserable at tax time!), so woohoo!
- Dunkin' Donuts sent me an email with an offer for me to get $2.00 back on my prepaid card if I just make just 1 purchase by June 7th. So if I just get a doughnut, it's basically a freebie.
- I received a coupon for a free bag of M&M's in the mail.
- For dinner I roasted the chicken breasts that I bought today and the kids demanded pasta. I heated up the Brussel sprouts and cheese ravioli that were left over from a few nights ago for myself and also served the leftover salad from two night ago.
- I reused the water from the hardboiled eggs this morning to top off the indoor plants and a rose bush.
- I froze the chicken bones from the breasts I roasted tonight so I can make chicken stock at a later time.
- I earned the daily Bing Rewards credits and a few Swagbucks.
- I put a book on hold at the library that won't even come out until early August. I'm #12 in line for "A Time of Torment" by John Connolly.
- The kids bought lunch from school today.
- I watered the vegetable garden with the sprinkler for an hour this morning. I meant to do it only for 30 minutes but I forgot to set a timer. I still need to refill the self-watering bins too and to water the potted plants that weren't in reach of the sprinkler.
- Tonight I refilled several self-watering bins as well as watered the potted plants with the hose.
- This afternoon, the sky looked like it might storm so I decided to just throw all the laundry in the dryer instead of hanging it to dry. However... it never did rain. Arrgh.
- I thought I could get the $0.25 ice cream rebate on Ibotta for my Publix purchase of Ben & Jerry's ice cream, but it was only for containers 1.5 quarts and up.
- Packed Greg's lunch
- Cooked Greg's breakfast
- Set the breakfast table for the kids
- Boiled eggs for snacks
- Watered the garden
- Ordered Kellogg's coupons
- Corresponded with 2 friends to help one of them network
- Proofread her résumé
- Forwarded a job posting to my oldest son
- Researched and forwarded job postings to my BFF
- Did laundry
- Collected trash and took it down the curb for collection
- Made my and Greg's beds
- Clipped and sorted coupons
- Worked on shopping list
- Washed sneakers
- Dropped off donations @ thrift store
- Did the grocery shopping
- Documented and put everything away
- Submitted rebates
- Recorded receipts into spreadsheets
- Called the dentist to confirm my son's appointment
- Put laundry in the dryer
- Cooked dinner
- Made a dinner menu for the rest of the week
- Updated several apps on my phone
- Watered the potted plants and refilled some self-watering bins
- Watered indoor plants
- Deadheaded the roses
- Did the dishes
- Put the recycling out to the curb for collection early tomorrow morning
- Posted my weekly grocery shopping post
- I weighed myself this morning and I put on a little weight although only 0.6 lb. WTH!?
- For breakfast I had a cup of generic honey nut Cheerios, half a cup of ~2% milk and some sliced strawberries. I also added the last few blackberries that I had picked a week ago.
- My lunch was a turkey sandwich and some pretzel sticks.
- I had the apple as a mid-afternoon snack, along with a Wasa cracker spread with a wedge of garlic herb spreadable cheese.
- For dinner I had 1/2 a roasted chicken breast, half a cup of mini cheese ravioli and about a half cup of Brussels sprouts. Then I had a navel orange and a yogurt.