Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Grocery Shopping This Week



Wednesday is my main shopping day. My official 2016 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) but I really aim to spend $50 or less. However, since I have stopped participating in Swagbucks so intensively, I find myself with fewer gift cards to apply to my groceries so think I might need to up that number to $75.

Let's see how I did!

Budget for the week: $100.00
Total OOP: $75.68
Rebates expected: $0.00
Total spent after rebates: $75.68
Money left in budget: $24.32


Baking Supplies: $1.98 OOP



  1. I didn't plan on buying cake mix this week but I bought a new baking pan to make castle-shaped cakes so I figured I needed cake mix!
  • 2 boxes cake mix (Aldi) @ $0.99 each = $1.98

Beverages: $0.00 OOP

  • None needed

Breads/Baked Goods: $2.29 OOP
  1. I shouldn't have bought the buns, I didn't realize that I had 4 buns left at home :(
  • 2 loaves white bread (Aldi) @ $0.85 each = $1.70
  • 1 package 8-ct hamburger buns (Aldi) @ $0.69


 Cereals: $0.00 OOP
  • None needed

Dairy: $15.90 OOP
  1. The powdered milk is part of our stocking up for hurricane season (I use it when I bake bread, too)
  2. I froze the 2 quarts of 2% milk as back-up
  • 2 quarts 2% milk (Save A Lot), on 50% clearance @ $0.65 each = $1.30
  • 1 gallon skim milk (Save A Lot), on 50% clearance @ $1.25
  • 1 box powdered milk (Save A Lot) @ $7.99
  • 1 Yoplait Plenti Greek yogurt (Publix), on sale @ $1.00 minus $1.00 manufacturer coupon = FREE
  • 1 gallon whole milk (CVS), on sale @ $2.79 but FREE thanks to CVS gift card earned via American Express Rewards and received $0.10 back from MobiSave so MONEY MAKER.
  • 14 cups yogurt (Aldi) @ $0.39 each = $5.46

Dry/Pantry/Freezer Goods: $4.86 OOP 
  1. I thought we were out of syrup but, wouldn't you know it, I found another unopened bottle in my pantry as soon as I got home from the stores!
  2. The instant mashed potatoes are for hurricane supply stock.  I will use them to make potato rolls after hurricane season.
  • 1 lb brown rice (Save A Lot) @ $0.99
  • 1 box instant mashed potatoes (Save A Lot) @ $1.39
  • 1 bottle ketchup (Aldi) @ $0.89
  • 1 bottle light syrup (Aldi) @ $1.59
Produce/Juice: $19.07
  1. I couldn't resist an orange sticker on produce, but I'm really wondering how I'm going to use up 2 lbs of collard greens before they go bad!  I'll make Zuppa Toscana tomorrow and lasagna and stir fries the rest of the week, I suppose.
  • 2 lbs green collards (Save A Lot), on 50% clearance @ $2.00
  • 1 bottle organic apple juice (Aldi), @ $2.69
  • 1 lb broccoli crowns (Aldi) @ $1.69
  • 4 ears sweet corn (Aldi), on sale @ $1.29
  • 1 package 3-ct Romaine hearts (Aldi) @ $1.99
  • 24 oz zucchini (Aldi) @ $1.49
  • 2.49 lbs bananas (Aldi) @ $0.44/lb = $1.10 and received $0.10 back from MobiSave so $1.00
  • 3 lbs Red Delicious apples (Aldi) @ $2.99 and received $0.10 back from MobiSave so $2.89
  • 1 lb strawberries (Aldi), on sale @ $1.49
  • 5 lbs yellow potatoes (Aldi), @ $2.79 and received $0.25 back from Checkout 51 so $2.54


Proteins: $17.08 OOP
  1. I wasn't planning on getting any chicken this week but those deals were too good!
  2. I had forgotten that I had a package of Black Forest ham in the freezer already. Arrgh.
  • 1 lb Black Forest turkey (Aldi) @ $3.49
  • 1 lb Black Forest ham (Aldi) @ $3.49
  • 4.96-lb chicken (Aldi) @ $4.71, minus $3.00 in store coupons = $1.71
  • 4.53 lbs chicken breasts (Aldi) @ $8.11, minus $4.11 in store coupons = $4.00
  • 64 oz bag Italian meatballs (Aldi) @ $4.39

Snacks: $14.50 OOP and received $2.75 back in ECBs
  1. Again, I couldn't resist those dumb orange clearance stickers on baked goods, even though I won't be eating them!
  2. The ice cream was pricey compared to just buying a half gallon of ice cream at Aldi, but it would have melted before I got home. It was a special treat for Greg.
  • 1 cherry pie (Save A Lot), on 50% clearance = $2.00
  • 1 caramel nut coffee cake (Save A Lot), on 50% clearance = $1.50
  • 1 bag gummy bears (not pictured) (Walgreens), on special @ $1.00 minus $1.00 insert coupon = $0.07 (tax)
  • 2 pints Ben & Jerry's ice cream (Publix), on BOGO @ $4.79, minus $1.00/2 insert coupon = $3.79 and received $0.10 back from MobiSave so $3.69
  • 2 boxes Special K Red Berries cereal bars (CVS), on sale at 2 for $6.00, minus (2) $1.00/1 manufacturer coupons = $4.00 but FREE thanks to CVS gift card earned with American Express Rewards.
  • 1 box Special K Red Berries cereal bars (CVS), on sale @ $3.69, minus $1.00/1 manufacturer coupon = $2.69 but FREE thanks to CVS gift card earned with American Express Rewards and received $2.00 back in ECBs.
  • 1 Snickers bar (CVS) on sale @ $0.99 but FREE thanks to CVS gift card earned with American Express Rewards, and received $0.75 in ECBs.
  • 2 packages peanut butter crackers (Aldi) @ $0.89 each = $1.78
  • 1 bag pretzel sticks (Aldi) @ $1.29
  • 1 box protein bars (Aldi) @ $1.99
  • 1 box Swiss rolls (Aldi) @ $1.29
  • 1 package 4-ct chocolate pudding cups (Aldi) @ $0.89

Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week?  Please link up or share your finds in the comments :)

4 comments:

  1. You did great! I can't believe you managed to get an almost 5 lb. whole chicken for under $2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I know! I wish I could have gotten all the marked down chickens now and I'm wondering if indeed the cashier was supposed to deduct the $1.00 and $2.00 off stickers or just the highest value one, as I expected her to do. Oh well, it's very rare that I find discounted items at Aldi so I won't count on it the next time (and I'll probably have forgotten all about it!).

      Delete
  2. Mmm peanut buttercup ice cream. Thank goodness its early else I might have needed to pop to the shop. (No Tara, that's bad you are on a diet), oh year right, yummy porridge waiting for me then, can't wait :( lol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind buying ice cream, especially peanut butter flavored ice cream, because that's a sweet you just won't find me eating. I don't know why. I like ice cream OK but I'd be fine if I never had it. And I usually don't. Greg, on the other hand, will eat a whole pint in one sitting. He did last night. But the man exercises hard for an hour every day at lunch time so he has the calories to spare.

      Porridge... is that your breakfast? Do you put anything in it like raisins or dried fruit?

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!