Thursday, May 26, 2016

In the Dumps ~ Thursday 5/26/16



I'm experiencing an extremely high level of stress right now and the black cloud is hovering. So my posts will probably be boring and cut in dry and stick to frugal successes and failures for a while.


SUCCESSES

  • Packed a lunch for Greg to take to work

  • The kids packed their lunches to take to school

  • I earned my daily Bing Rewards credits and a few Swagbucks.

  • I was able to order a $5 Amazon gift card from Bing Rewards.  Later on this afternoon, I was having problems redeeming it, so I did a chat with an Amazon customer service rep who credited my account with the card manually.

  • I wasn't sure what to cook for dinner.  I thought I had 2 bags of Green Thai Chili in the freezer but the Sharpie label has been erased so I don't know for sure that is in the bags. I'm defrosting one and I plan to make rice and mix whatever is in the bag in it.  I also defrosted a container of green bean casserole.  Update: upon further defrosting, it looks like it's already gotten rice in it and some kind of spicy mushed black beans?  I have no idea what it is!  I'll defrost some chicken sausages in the microwave and grill them to go with it and the black been casserole, I guess. Then, I remembered that I track what I have in the freezer in a Google Sheets spreadsheet so I checked and it looked like I got the Thai part right, but it's Thai Peanut Butter Pork.  Uh. I don't even remember making this and it didn't smell like peanut butter to me.  So now I'm torn about making the sausages too. But I think I will. If it doesn't turn out good at least we can eat the sausages.

  • I'm also defrosting some hot chorizo for tomorrow's dinner (not sure what I'll make yet) and some puréed bananas to make banana bread for the kids' snack.

  • I made a new pitcher of refrigerator tea, using 6 small bags of Celestial Seasonings Country Peach Passion herbal tea that had been sitting in a drawer for a few years.

  • I washed the bedding from my new bedroom in cold/cold with some bath towels.

  • I printed some coupons that Pillsbury emailed me.

  • After my nap I realized that I hadn't make the banana bread.  I went to make it.  I used 3 now defrosted bananas that I had pureed and saved when they were too ripe to do anything else with them and the rest of a jar of unsweetened applesauce instead of oil.

  • To my 2016 Spare Change jar, I added a penny that I found on the floor of my new room, and $0.52 that I found at the bottom of my purse.


  • I checked next week's previews for the CVS and Walgreens ads and made notes of what I'll be buying there on my shopping list.

SPLURGES

  • I need to buy curtains for my new bedroom.

  • I used the dryer for the bedding since I was going to have to use it for the bath towels anyway.


FAILURES

  • I composted some blackberries and raspberries that I had set to defrost in the fridge over a week ago to make a cobbler but never used. They weren't good anymore.

  • I had some savory bread leftovers that were getting moldy in the fridge. I cut away the moldy parts, crumbled half the bread into the bird feeder and around the back yard, and composted the rest.


  • I threw away a patty of pie crust that I had defrosted a couple of weeks ago in hopes of making a pie for Greg but that I never used up.

  • I only defrosted enough bananas to make one loaf of banana bread so I used the oven for only 1 item, which I was trying to avoid.


CHORES
  • Cooked Greg's breakfast
  • Packed his lunch
  • Set the breakfast table for the kids
  • Ran the dehumidifier
  • Composed long email
  • Cleaned out the fridge of food that needed to be thrown away
  • Crumbled dried up bread for the squirrels and birds in the backyard
  • Mopped the kitchen
  • Transplanted the strawberries that were in the tiny planters into the multi-level planter that I had bought a few weeks ago

  • Deadheaded the roses
  • Trimmed dead branches off tomatoes
  • Harvested green beans and serrano peppers

  • Sprayed homemade weed killer on weeds on patio
  • Pulled weeds from gravel path
  • Swept the front porch
  • Cut my squirrel sign
  • Sprayed the pieces with Kilz primer

  • Washed bedding from the guest room, which is now my room because I'm tired of sleeping on the couch because New Kitty often wakes me up. However, I was quite comfy on the couch and it's going to be weird to readjust sleeping in a bed. A twin size bed!
  • Switched furniture around to make guest room into my bedroom
  • Rearranged all my clothes in new spaces
  • Texted Middle Son to warn him that he won't be able to spend the night anymore
  • Printed coupons
  • Worked on backing up the pictures from January and February 2016
  • Did a chat with an Amazon rep
  • Took an unscheduled nap
  • Baked banana bread
  • Caught up on blogs and comments
  • Decluttered the top of the printer stand
  • Filed some paperwork
  • Cooked dinner
HEALTH
  • I didn't have any appetite so I didn't eat breakfast. I had a mug of coffee.

  • I was too busy with chores to take a snack. I didn't do my stretching exercises either but after sitting most of the day yesterday, my heel felt pretty good today. I still wore my garden clogs with my insoles all day.

  • I had lunch late. Nothing was appetizing so I just had 4 thin slices of Black Forest ham on 2 slices of whole wheat bread.  I can barely get this down, although my stomach is growling.

  • At 2:30 p.m. I couldn't keep my eyes open although I slept well last night and I ended up taking an uneasy hour-long nap.  I never EVER take naps.  The whole time I felt like I had body chills.

  • I had a banana when I woke up. Then I had a Wasa sour dough cracker with 1 oz of Black Forest turkey.

  • I think my exercise for today was moving the furniture and clothes around to a new location. I'm too tired to do anything else.

GARDENING/NATURE

I hope this isn't going to happen to all my tomatoes.

Lots more roses than in the past years, pruning them did work!  They're getting fried by the sun, though.

Hibiscus flower and several others about to bloom. Not bad for a free cutting from my neighbor's bush!

The tadpoles are doing well. The bin lid placed overhead seems to work to keep the water relatively cool.

I found those in between 2 bags of potting mix in my side garden shed.  They're lizard eggs. I spied the mother scurrying away.

It might be mean but I resettled them into the grass on the side of the shed. We have tons of lizards so they're not endangered and they're much too tiny eggs to make an omelet :)

My red canna flowered again. The picture isn't very good, it was taken with my phone at dusk when it was windy.

5 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear that you are feeling stressed and the black cloud is hovering. Hope you feel less stressed and better soon. Focus on the positives. (((HUGS)))

    But look at all what you managed to accomplish even when feeling stressed and down! Sometimes, it provides us with the impetus to get things done, doesn't it?

    So what did dinner turn out to be? Inquiring minds want to know!

    Hope tomorrow will be a better day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. It turned out to be Thai Peanut Butter Pork after all. It didn't smell like Peanut Butter at first, but once it was fully defrosted, it did.

      Delete
  2. (((Hugs))) for you. I don't know what you are going through right now, but I am thinking of you. In the meantime, be good to yourself.

    I admired your very long list of accomplishments and noticed right in the middle of it that you cut out and primed your squirrel sign. I caught that. Now I am hoping it rains here all weekend so that I will be forced to work indoors and maybe do MY end of the bargain. (which is to purge 6 boxes of JUNK from my house)Today though, we are taking the trailer load of yard waste to the dump and bringing back a yard of garden soil. It can stay in the trailer until I am ready to use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. Yes, I forgot to emphasize the squirrel sign for your benefit. Thanks for noticing :)
      Are you getting the garden soil from the dump or are you buying it somewhere while you're going to the dump? We can get mulch (albeit not good quality mulch) from the dump but nothing else.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, that sounded like I was bringing back garden soil from the dump; but no,we bought a yard of garden mix from one of the vendors on the way back. I will add it to my veggie garden after I till. A yard won't go far, but will put back something into the ground.

    ReplyDelete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!