Monday, June 6, 2016

Domestic Monday: Maybe, Maybe Not ~ Monday June 6, 2016



Happy Monday morning to you all (well, Monday night or Tuesday morning as you actually read this!).  As I mentioned in this morning's Day Book post,  I barely slept last night. My fault, I wanted to post all my pictures from my busy Sunday and then I got engrossed in other people's blogs.  Then the old "The Avengers" series was playing on TV and seeing a young Diana Riggs jolted me... she was so pretty and young not so long ago because I used to watch the series when I was little, and now she's an old crone on Game of Thrones!  So that makes me an almost old crone myself.

Speaking of GoT (as we insiders call it!), we didn't watch the latest episode last night because I wanted to concentrate on posting my pictures before the end of the night.  And then I realized that today is the anniversary of D-Day, which is a pretty big deal for a French person (thank you everybody from the Allies for your help during WWII!) so I told Greg I wanted to watch "The Longest Day" tonight. He's kind of sick of that movie because we have watched it several times but I really love it.  There are so many known actors in it, from the USA, UK, France, Germany, and other countries, it's fun to see them all on screen in the same movie and it's really a poignant story as well.  I think I might have bought it digitally on Amazon Instant Video last year, I need to check.

Anyhoo, I'm all groggy from the lack of sleep this morning and the rainy weather isn't going to help. Yawn.  So I don't know how much domesticity I'm liable to muster today.  I told Greg I would celebrate his 10-year anniversary with his employer by taking a nap.

The kids are taking final exams today through Wednesday or Thursday.  My daughter had her horticulture certification exam first thing this morning and she texted me that she passed and is now "a Horticulture Certified Professional® or something like that".  Since she doesn't plan on going into an agricultural career, that doesn't really mean anything to her, but hey, it's something else for her to add to her résumé and college applications.

My daughter and I discussed taking some road trips together this coming year. She was the one pushing it, insisting that we could go "somewhere" to hike and observe nature over Thanksgiving Break, or long weekends.  She will have 3-day weekends every weekend as her college classes will only be Tuesday through Friday and she's not to be on her high school campus unless there's some Senior class meeting that she has to attend.  We talked about the Appalachian Trail because she didn't know about it... she's all gun-ho about nature right now and spending time with me, which makes me feel very good because in about a year she will be going away and officially starting her life as an adult. Sob.

So in the meantime, she helped me sign up for Instagram and allowed me to follow her so I can see what she's up to this summer (provided that she posts pictures). I promptly posted a picture of our male cat's butt hole because as I was trying to figure out the app, he jumped on my lap and presented me with his backside right in my face. Why do cats DO this?  lol.  She threatened to block me if I kept on posting cat buttholes so I'll have to think of more interesting photos to take with my phone...



Yesterday Greg and I were discussed his and our son's upcoming camping trip.  His dad's health has taken a turn for the worse (he's been battling lung cancer and there are now complications on top of that) so they'll probably try to drive straight up to Ohio after stopping to visit his daughter and grandson in NC on the way and then drive straight back down so he can spend as much time with his dad as possible.  Cancer sucks. My FIL had started immunotherapy but his doctor told him that they were going to run some tests tomorrow and decide whether to continue or not depending on the results. His dad is pretty depressed.  Greg seems to be handling it well but I think it's going to hit him very hard because he is close to his dad, even more so since he was diagnosed about a year and a half ago.

Not going anywhere today. Here is the to-do list left over from Saturday and I'm adding things to it too:

  • Transplant ferns into bare patch in front lawn to make shady planter
  • Iron
  • Finish letter to my great aunt
  • Print, clip and sort coupons Halfway done!
  • Caption old pictures that have already been scanned
  • Scan more old pictures
  • Scrub patio pavers with bleach to remove mildew
  • Get new potted flowers for the patio
  • File paperwork
  • Enter some Coke codes into MCR
  • Finish painting squirrel sign and assemble it
  • Create spreadsheet to track IRA contributions using ALL our old tax returns
  • Look into fertilizing the raspberries
  • Trim weeds alongside berm edging
  • Add more mulch to berm
  • Research bird feeders at Ace Hardware and poles too.
  • Download all May photos to my external drive
  • Write May grocery shopping recap post
  • Replace roach traps
  • Inventory battery drawer and see what I would need for hurricane season and add to shopping list
  • Inventory supplies for master bedroom painting project
  • Research extension cords for generator
  • Call eye doctor to make annual appointment
  • Call gyneco to make annual appointment
  • Find the cats' rabies licenses
  • Exercise! 
  • Make a solar oven
  • Compose reply email to Viviane
  • Print and laminate medical cards for daughter
  • Do laundry Done
  • Make a menu for the week Done
  • Vacuum living room and breezeway
  • Sweep the main stairs
  • Clean the downstairs bathroom Done
  • Declutter 10 items Done
  • Write a thank you note and a check for my former brother- and sister-in-law who will be hosting my daughter for 8 weeks (her dad and I are splitting food and gas costs for her)
  • Sign up for Herp Hike?
  • Look at what strength training fitness videos I have at home that I would feel comfortable using
  • Try to figure out why the new propane tank isn't working?! Maybe I didn't connect it properly. Or order new connecting hose?
  • Go to AT&T and see what we need to do to lower the cost of Greg's phone plan since it's now paid off
  • Refill all empty cat litter jugs with rain water from the rain barrel Done
  • Check coupon organizer for $2 produce Target store coupon
  • Take another Driscoll's survey (if find Target cpn)
  • Study dSLR camera manual
  • Spray oven cleaner on the shower stall walls once everyone is away for a few days, scrub it all clean, and redo the grouting too
  • Make a new batch of Montreal Steak Seasoning


FRUGAL SUCCESSES
  • I packed leftovers for Greg to take to work. However, he might go out to lunch for his 10th anniversary (today or tomorrow).

  • Our rain barrel was filled by the rain last night!  I need to refill all empty jugs so I can collect more FREE rain water.
55-gallon rain barrel

  • My daughter packed leftovers to take to school today. She usually buys lunch on Mondays but her lunch account has a balance of less than $1, I think, and since she'll be attending 100% of her classes at the State College next year, I didn't want to replenish it (because it would take possibly until Fall 2017 in order to be able to transfer the funds to my son's account).

  • I uploaded new MobiSave offers to my account.  There are 9 offers I'm possibly interested in but they're, once again, only 10 cents each.


  • My daughter finished a box of Special K cereal this morning. I saved the inner bag to reuse as a freezer bag.

  • I earned the daily Bing Rewards credits and a few Swagbucks.

  • I printed some coupons and uploaded digital coupons to my Publix and Walgreens digital wallets.


  • I did 1 super and 1 extra large loads of laundry on cold/cold. Ordinarily I would have hung most of the laundry on the racks in our entry room (since it's looking like rain today) but I feel so tired that I told myself that I would give myself a break and use the dryer exclusively today.

  • The Driscoll's survey site is back online and SuperTarget has the strawberries on sale for $2.00 a lb this week, which means that I'll be able to get them for $1.00 a pound after the $1.00/1 printable coupons that I just earned.  Woohoo!  Plus I think I have a $2.00 of $10 in fruit Target store coupon so if I get 5 of those, then I should be able to get 5 lbs for just $3.  I'll need to check my coupon organizer and take another survey!

  • Oh my: RaceTrac Insider (I guess they didn't get rid of the program after all!) emailed me and Greg printable coupons for free soft serve ice cream cones this month! That's going to make Greg very happy although the closest station to us that offers soft serve ice cream is about 20 minutes away. I guess he needs to come run some errands with me on the weekends, now!

  • I collected some(14!) items to purge out of my house:
    • My and my son's leather necklaces from when we were part of "The Indian Guides" several years ago (I think I'll scavenge the leather straps to keep and the beads to donate but the personalized pendants will be thrown away)
    • 3 scientific DVDs that I had gotten for free back when we homeschooled and I was thinking there might be a tiny chance that we would homeschool through high school.  I will donate them.
    • A cheap pair of sunglasses will be donated
    • A water bottle "coozy" from the National Training Center that was a freebie that I never used: will be donated
    • A brand new 2 pack of litmus paper from our old homeschooling supplies: donation
    • A sample package of CQ-10 gummy vitamins: I ate them (and yuck!  gross but free snack)
    • A personal aromatherapy diffuser with pads: donation
    • 3 "Save the Undies" stickers that came with free samples: thrown away
    • An almost brand new box of "Hello, my name is" sticker convention badges: donation
    • My old Blockbuster membership card: will be shredded
    • A brand new pack of 2 inflating needles: donation
    • An old bottle of Prednisone pills that had been prescribed to male cat for his urinary problems several years ago: added to the box of expired medications that I will drop off at the Police Station's collection box (they properly dispose of expired medications for free so people don't flush them down the toilet)
    • Half a box of Sculpey that hardened: thrown away
    • Unopened envelope containing writing ink powder: donation

  • However, one item that was originally in the pile went back into my house.  See, I found this old camera case that I had forgotten about but that would be good for my point-and-shoot because it's larger and I just ordered those 2 extra batteries, you see.  So I was opening the pockets to see if it would be roomy enough and found...
Woohoo! I added it to my 2016 Spare Change Jar
  • I saved most of the loaf of pumpkin bread (see "Failures").

  • I remembered to put the hamburger buns that I bought last week in the fridge, now that I have room, lest they become moldy as well!

  • I whipped out a menu for the rest of the week off the top of my head:
    • Monday: roasted chicken, leftover broccoli, baked potatoes
    • Tuesday: cheeseburgers, corn on the cob, salad
    • Wednesday: Taco salad
    • Thursday: Ham and collard greens frittata, salad
    • Friday: Pork chops and rice, steamed green beans (fridge and freezer)
    • Saturday: fish tacos?
    • Sunday: Tuna patties and salad

  • When my daughter got home from school, I showed her what else I found while I was decluttering: a folder box full off... brand-new, unused scrapbooking supplies!  Apparently I must have bought those back in 2007-2009 and completely forgot about them.  I've always thought scrapbooking might be something I would like to do, but it ended up being that I only enjoy buying the supplies, lol.  There's even a book called "My Senior Year" and my daughter is going to be a senior this year.  We both recognized that I will never get enough pictures of her to make the book (she doesn't like me taking pictures of her and I take horrible people pictures!) and that she wouldn't make one herself either. She couldn't think of a single friend who would want to scrapbook.  So I think I'll... keep those until maybe I have a granddaughter who wants to scrapbook?  LOL. Somehow it's hard for me to donate those because it's all brand new but still looks like something I might want to do once my daughter is gone and I miss her so I'm keeping it all.  I had put pictures in there to scrapbook so we had a really good time looking through the pictures of our male cat when he was little, my daughter and sons when they were 10 years younger, one of our trips to Sanibel, etc.  I really should try to take advantage of all those promotional offers to print 4 x 6 photos because digital photos just don't cut it... you just don't really "come across them", do you?



  • It rained pretty much all afternoon. It's not raining really really hard but enough :)

  • I refilled all empty cat litter and milk jugs with rain water collected in the rain barrel. Instead of using the spigot, I just opened up the top and refilled them 2 jugs at a time. It took less than 5 minutes, tops, and the filled cat litter jugs can now be used as dumb bells too, lol.  I refilled 6 of the Aldi jugs, 2 of the larger litter jugs, and 2 milk jugs.  The rain barrel level fell back down to the half mark but then it started raining stronger so it'll get refilled in no time!

  • It was raining pretty hard when my son got out of school so I went to pick him up. He has studying to do for his final exams tomorrow and didn't want to volunteer at the library tonight so I drove him to the library so he could talk to the librarians about it. I checked the donation pile (nothing for me) and picked up the John Sandford book that was waiting for me. I also picked up a $2.00 off U-pick blueberries coupon for a local blueberry farm, and a flyer advertising the Friends of the Library Book Sale and Bake Sale. It's perfect timing for me to declutter some more (although I donated most of the books I didn't want last summer) and I will plan on baking something for their bake sale as well.


  • My son will be volunteering at the the library Reading Program events this summer, notably helping out with the Summer Movies series.  I was looking at the list of movies that they'll be showing and next week will be Zootopia... so if I don't rent it tomorrow, he'll get to watch it for free anyway. Woo!


  • I had a lot of great stuff in the mailbox today:
    • A large box from Duke Energy containing a bunch of energy-saving devices!  I had completed a free online Home Energy Check about our home energy usage on May 17, thinking that I'd get some more LED bulbs from it, but it looked like that you had to sign up for an in-house home evaluation to get them.  I don't like people coming over so I passed on that on the in-home visit. So today's arrival of a whole kit was a complete surprise!


(2) LED bulbs, a low-flow shower head, low-flow aerators for faucets, a freezer thermometer (I think), a hot water gauge, 2 pack of weatherstrip, some plumber's tape, 1 outlet sealer kit.
    • A full-size Dove Men+Care dry antiperspirant spray from Walmart samples

    • The $100 CVS gift card from our American Express Rewards

  • Greg got 2 free soda refills at RaceTrac today (one in the morning, one at night) as he does every weekday.

  • I was clipping coupons from the free Coupon Books that I had picked up at the local liquor store this weekend when i realized that beyond the Bruster's BOGO coupon, there was also a $5 off $20 coupon for the local St Vincent of Paul thrift store and a couple of local restaurants. But almost even more exciting is the fact that you can sign up for home delivery of the Coupon Book by sending an email to the Marketing Company. Yay!  Since I don't shop as much as I used to, it'll be very helpful to get it at my house directly.

  • Speaking of coupons, if you are a canner, there is a $2.00 any Ball or Kerr-brand product to print on Coupons.com  If you do Swagbucks, go through Swagbucks Coupons to earn the 10 cents per redeemed coupon!  The easiest way to find the coupon is filter is by category "Packaging".

  • I checked Amazon Instant Video and "The Longest Day" is available for free with Prime Instant Video. yay!  I'm not sure Greg will be in the mood to watch the 3-hour movie again so we might watch GoT and then I might put it on while he plays videogames. I never did take a nap today so I'll probably fall asleep, though.

  • We do have some meat left over from the chicken, which I picked and put away in the fridge, and the carcass will be frozen to make broth once it's fully cooled off.

  • To go with the chicken, I picked the 4 largest Yellow potatoes from the 2 bags that I had bought last week and steamed them in the microwave. Greg's stomach was bothering him so he only had a potato with some butter. The kids and I also had the left over broccoli that he had taken to work on Friday:)

  • Guess who won another Sodapalooza cup in a giveaway on Twitter?  Yep! I'd post a photo but Blogger is being difficult and not working for me right now...


SPLURGES
  • My son bought lunch from school today.

  • I dried 100% of the laundry in the dryer today.

  • Gas to pick up my son from school and drive to the library.

  • We're now paying for the HBONow subscription so our viewing of the latest episode of GoT wasn't free tonight. It was definitely a splurge.  We're still not loving it, though. Too many characters to keep track of!

FAILURES
  • So yesterday I was so busy with our adventures, cooking and recapping our adventures, that I ran out of time to earn all my Bing Rewards credits (I did try to earn some on my phone while we were at the pond) and didn't earn any Swagbucks. Not only did I not do the poll or the NOSO, but I once again missed out on a Search award because I did the search and then got distracted and didn't realize until several hours later that I would have earned 5 or 6 SB with the CAPCHA code, which had long since expired. Aaaargh.

  • Also last night my daughter dropped and broke one of the ceramic salad/soup bowls that Greg had brought back from his parents' RV last year.  I need to find a new one at the thriftstore because now we're short one.

  • Dang it!  I was wondering why the loaf of chocolate chip pumpkin bread had been sitting untouched on the counter for a few days when I have a pumpkin bread locust of a teenager who spent the whole weekend at home... It had mold on several of the surfaces!  Arrgh.  I cut off the moldy parts but there is no way he's going to eat it now... unless he forgets about it so I stuffed the trimmed parts back into the freezer for a few weeks. I'll have to cut it into chunks and serve it with whipped cream on top or something. Why doesn't anyone ever mention those things to me?! It could have been a total loss!


  • I found the $10 off $30 at Kohl's offer in my Discover Deals again (but not in Greg's), but when I went to scan the coupon's bar code into my Kohl's app, it came back as "invalid".  Grrr. I'll try again tomorrow, in case Kohl's hasn't updated their databases yet.  The code hadn't been there when I checked back on 6/1.

  • The $1.97, almost 5 lbs chicken from Aldi didn't have much meat in it after all. A lot of it was very fatty skin. I think they sold me an obese chicken.


CHORES
  • Got up :)
  • Cooked Greg's breakfast
  • Set breakfast table for the kids
  • Packed Greg's lunch
  • Inspected the rain barrel (yes, that counts!)
  • Tried, once again, to get a hold of Middle Son who is not replying to texts or answering his phone. I'm sure he's fine and either too busy or just doesn't want to talk. I'd still like to hear his voice to make sure that he's fine, you know? I haven't talked to him in a couple of weeks. I might have to text his GF.  30 minutes later... I texted his GF. She said he was fine but had left his phone at his apartment yesterday and offered to try to get him to call me. I love her so much!  I told her not to bother, he's getting too comfortable having to be nagged to call me. I just wanted to make sure he wasn't hurt or dead. I really hope she becomes my daughter-in-law some day, legally or not.  She is a neat person.
  • Printed some coupons
  • Made my and Greg's beds
  • Did the laundry
  • Brought down the recyclables from upstairs
  • Took customer satisfaction surveys to earn coupon and freebies
  • Picked up clumps of cat hair here and there (maybe I won't need to vacuum? lol)
  • Decluttered some items
  • Helped my daughter clip the cats' nails
  • Did a load of dishes and put away clean dishes
  • Refilled all empty cat litter and milk jugs at the rain barrel
  • Moved recyclables from downstairs bathroom into the large recycling bin
  • Signed up for Instagram
  • Picked up my son from school and drove to the library and back
  • Cooked dinner
  • Clipped coupons
  • Cleaned downstairs bathroom: scrubbed toilet and put Clorox toilet bowl cleaner in it, wiped sink and mirror.  I'll plan on spraying oven cleaner on the shower stall walls once everyone is away for a few days, so I can scrub it all clean, and redo the grouting too.
  • Plucked the meat off the carcass of the chicken and put it away in the fridge. 

HEALTH
  • I'm wearing my exercise clothes and I think that should count for something.   I didn't like the scale this morning, I'm back up 2 lbs again.  I didn't track my food or exercise or drink enough this weekend so that's probably why.  You think?!  I really was good with my food though.

  • Breakfast was a cup and a quarter of generic rice crispies, half a cup of whole milk (we just started a new gallon) and the rest of the strawberries that I bought last week. Yum. It hit the spot!  2 cups of coffee, of course, although I might have to brew more of it to get me through the day as I am very sleepy and the gray weather isn't helping perk me up at all.

  • I am hungry. Seeing the picture of the cheeses Susan bought at my dream festival didn't help.  Heck, it's 11:23 a.m. so almost lunch time!  I have got to eat some protein, I'm so sleepy. I don't know if I'll have the energy to get on the recumbent bike, quite honestly.  I ended up eating a sample of gummy vitamins that I had received several months ago. Might as well.

  • I really didn't want fish for lunch so luckily I remembered that I had grilled a pack of chipotle chicken sausages this weekend with the idea of making another batch of "Zuppa Toscana" but I never made it.  So I had a sausage on the last hot dog bun (woohoo, no bun waste!), half a cup of red potato salad (from the Publix fried chicken dinner we bought on Saturday) and a yogurt. And I brewed a new pot of coffee because the pile of dishes keeps on growing and I keep on getting more and more sleepy.

  • I had a banana mid-afternoon.

  • Dinner was about 1/3 of a chicken breast, a large yellow potato with some butter, light sour cream and dried chives, and about 1/2 a cup of steamed broccoli.

  • I did not exercise today, nor did I drink enough.  It was raining, which isn't conducive to my being thirsty!

NATURE
The tadpoles survived the rain last night.  There doesn't seem to be as many as there used to be, though. They're still tiny and tadpole-like.




A green pepper is growing!

Love my roses. I wish they lasted longer, though.


12 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a pretty good day. :) Good job with the decluttering! Plus you found all those new scrapbooking supplies AND money!

    Congratulations to your daughter on her horticultural certification! Even if she's not planning to do anything with it.

    Had to laugh at your cat picture! :D

    You did laundry, so that qualifies it as a domestic Monday! Hope you get more sleep tonight.

    Have a great day, tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bless. I did sleep well last night and I hope you did as well!

      Delete
  2. Good news on the home energy freebie.

    I'm so sorry to here that Greg's dad is struggling, I hope he has good news from his doctors. I agree cancer is the most awful thing.

    Wow your pepper is coming along well.

    Good luck to your daughter and son on their exams tomorrow and Thursday
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe if you and your daughter do take those trips this year that you've been talking about, you can make it a point to take pictures each time and use those for the scrapbook? Michael and I are terrible about being in our photos, and I've been making more of an effort to at least take a selfie of the two of us, even if it's not the best. I'm trying to get over needing to look wonderful in every photo, as the reality is I just look like me and that's probably not ever going to change! :) Anyway, just a thought.

    Also, I'm sorry to hear about Greg's dad. That is so rough. We've lost a number of relatives to cancer, unfortunately. Hugs to you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. I'm sorry about relatives as well, it's really tough on the family, isn't it.

      Yes, I will need to make sure we take more selfies. I always try to take pictures of my kids when we got out to do something but as much as my daughter likes taking selfies and post them on her Tumbler or Snapchat, she hates it when I take her picture! I take terrible selfies and I always fumble with my phone so she usually takes over and takes our selfies. She's quite better at it than I am too, but I never like the way I look, that's for sure!

      I used to make "scrapbooks" using Powerpoint. I like the journaling part of it and illustrating it with photos, but I have no patience for adding the little stickers and embellishments that serious scrapbookers enjoy using. I also have no artistic vision or skill.

      I think I would like to create a book for my kids with pictures of them when they were little and narrations explaining why the picture was taken, where they were, what we were doing, etc. I really should get started with that. I have tons of pictures that need to be scanned. I'd do that electronically and then pay some service (or go to Kinko's) to print those in color and present the books to them. One thing that I have done, but mostly with my oldest, was write to my kids since they were born. I have a notebook for each of them and I wrote about their development, their best friends, what they were into, etc. At first I would write every month, but as I had more and more children, I started writing much less often. When my oldest son turned 18, I gave him his book. It was the first time that any of the kids had any idea that I had been doing this. He was really overwhelmed by it and told all his friends who thought I was the coolest mom for having done that, LOL. My middle son is much less sentimental so I never gave him his because I'm waiting for him to be mature enough. If I gave it to him now (he's 20), it'd end up on the floor and then probably in the trash when he moves out of his apartment. My daughter turns 18 this year so I ought to give her hers, although I have written in hers very little compared to how much I had written in her older brothers'. Life got in the way, I got divorced when she was very little (2 years old), then remarried and had another child, then 2 stepdaughters who came to live with us too... now I regret not having made sure that I wrote every month. So all of this to say, I think it would be cool to narrate their childhood through pictures.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I bet those notebooks are a treasure. And even if you don't have much written in your daughter's yet, I bet just looking through old photos will remind you of so many things.

      Delete
  4. It was pouring rain almost all day long here...and then the sun came out and it felt like a sauna! I love that last photo of your rose - beautiful!

    And don't you love it when you find money in unexpected places?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it poured here this morning while I was shopping in Clermont because everything seemed even wetter when I finally got home. I meant to check my rain barrel but I forgot. I went outside tonight to barbecue and it was warm and muggy but really not that bad. However, the AC has been running pretty much non-stop!

      That $20 was an excellent surprise! I hadn't used that camera case since at least 2008 or 2009.

      Delete
  5. I am enjoying the pictures of things you are purging from your house each and every day. Where are you taking them from? Are you attacking a drawer? a closet? I'd like to know your system. Also, I almost fell off my chair when I saw all of those wonderful scrapbooking supplies. Now it is my turn to drool. Definitely don't be getting rid of those. You will indeed make those albums someday. Look how much fun you had reminiscing over a few found photographs. Ask your daughter for some of the selfies that she would like to have in her book. She probably has some wonderful photos of her friends as well. Take photocopies/pictures of some of her work, awards, projects, etc. to put in the senior year album. The pictures and photos are there to supplement your written reports. She will love it. I presented my kids memory albums of their childhood when they got married. I am presently working on my middle son's (the one who still lives here) My kids absolutely loved their albums, as did their spouses. If you don't want to work on them now, I think you will want to some day. You don't have to be crafty. It is their story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, did you do that for your kids? That's awesome. It must have taken you a long time. Susan, I've forgotten how many kids you have. 2 sons and a daughter? I think my sons' wives/girlfriends will appreciate those things more than they will, possibly. I know that I treasure every single memento of Greg's childhood that my MIL passed along, whereas he looks at the little that I have of mine and says "hmmm, interesting..." and then moves on to other things.

      My daughter probably does have pictures of her friends but she wouldn't give them to me. She's as private as I am, I can't even hold her phone without her freaking out and I don't know her passwords to anything, lol. Not that she's doing anything bad (well, I guess I wouldn't know if she was!) but that's just the way she is and since I'm the same, I don't push it.

      Nowadays, they have so much access to social media where they record their own lives, I don't know that me paraphrasing what she did in the previous year would be particularly interesting to her. However, I think she would really like stories of when she was little. We did have a great time looking at the pictures and she particularly loved the ones we found of our male cat when he was a kitten. So much so that she asked if she could have the pictures. I noticed that she didn't ask for a picture of me, LOL.

      Anyhoo, you are an awesome mom and grandma. Maybe I should send you all my stuff, I know YOU would put it to good use!

      Delete
  6. Yes, two sons and a daughter. Good memory. I love that you kept notebooks of them as they grew up. That is a wonderful keepsake. She may not want a "rehash" of the past year right now, but you both will be happy someday that it was recorded.

    ReplyDelete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!