Thursday, June 30, 2016

Grocery Shopping This Week: First July Shopping Trip


And I'm back blogging about my grocery trips after taking June off.

My official 2016 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) but I really aim to spend $50 or less.  This month I'll only be feeding 3 people total (2 adults and 1 teen) since my daughter is in California.

Greg and our son have been away for 2 weeks but are coming home tonight so I needed to make sure there was fresh fruit, milk and bread in the house.  Also, this means I'll have to start cooking again.  Ugh, I really didn't miss that at all. I haven't prepped a menu but it's on my list of to-do's.  We are fully stocked with meats and the pantry is pretty stocked too.  The garden is producing tomatoes and peppers, and I still have lettuce in the fridge. I also have quite a bit of frozen vegetables.

Let's see how I did!

Budget for the week: $100.00
Total OOP: $37.43
Rebates expected: $0.18
Total spent after rebates: $37.25
Money left in budget: $62.75


Baking Supplies: $3.58 OOP


  • 2 bags mini chocolate chips (Aldi) @ $1.79 each = $3.58

Beverages: $0.00 OOP

  • None needed

Breads/Baked Goods: $3.92 OOP
  1. The French bread was a complete splurge!  I could have baked my own for much cheaper, but I didn't feel like firing up the oven today and I really wanted some yummy bread. It doesn't have a real crust, but I prefer my crusts pretty soft usually so that works for me.
  2. It's July 4th weekend so I bought hamburger AND hot dog buns because that's a traditional thing to cook this weekend: hot dogs and hamburgers!
  • 1 loaf French bread (Aldi) @ $1.69
  • 1 bag 8 hot dog buns (Aldi) @ $0.69
  • 1 bag 8 hamburger buns (Aldi) @ $0.69
  • 1 loaf white bread (Aldi) @ $0.85

 Cereals: $0.00 OOP
  1. The price wasn't great and I wasn't able to order $1.00/1 coupons from Kellogg's Family Rewards this morning since their site was down, but I had a $10 ECB that I needed to redeem so I decided to stock up on Special K.  Two boxes will be for my daughter (the Red Berries kind) and the Vanilla Almond will be for me.  Each box had a chance to win a Fitbit, but I never seem to win anything with Kellogg's in-box prizes.  I wouldn't use a Fitbit anyway :)
  • 4 boxes Special K (CVS), on sale @ $2.50 each, minus (2) $1.00/2 printable coupons from Kellogg's weekly email and $1.00/3 digital store coupon uploaded to my CVS app = $7.00 but FREE after redemption of ECBs and CVS gift card earned from American Express Rewards, and I will earn 320 KFR points too.

Dairy: $11.47 OOP
  1. I used up the UHT milk that we had while Greg was gone so I wanted to get some more, both for hurricane supplies and also for regular back-up situations. It doesn't expire until May 2017.
  2. The Brie and Specialty cheese were complete splurges for me. I love cheese!  I have to avert my eyes when I walk by the Publix imported cheese case and it's a darn good thing we don't have a Trader Joe's in my neck of the woods because my grocery expenses would be much higher!
  • 1 gallon whole milk (CVS), on sale @ $2.79 but FREE with CVS gift card earned from American Express Rewards.
  • 4 one-liter bricks of 2% UHT milk (Dollar Tree) @ $1.00 each = $4.00
  • 1 package American cheese slices (Aldi), on sale @ $1.49
  • 1 round Brie (Aldi) @ $2.99
  • 1 half round Roasted Garlic with Tomato and Basil cheese (Aldi) @ $2.99

Dry/Pantry/Freezer Goods: $-1.75 OOP 
  1. The rice wasn't on sale any more but at $0.29 a box after coupon and rebate, I felt it was a good use of my Publix gift card.
  2. I didn't need the mustard but hey, it was free.  It won't go bad so I bought it.
  • 1 box Minute Multi-Grain Medley instant rice (Publix) @ $2.29, minus $1.00 blinkie coupon = $1.29 but FREE with Publix gift card won with the NCAA 2017 IWG, and redeemed a $1.00 rebate on Checkout 51 so MONEY MAKER.
  • 1 jar Colman's mustard (Publix), on sale @ $1.50, minus $0.75/1 printable manufacturer coupon = $0.75 but FREE with Publix gift card won with the NCAA 2017 IWG and redeemed a $0.75 rebate on Ibotta so MONEY MAKER.
Produce/Juice: $10.71


  1. I really went crazy with fruit this week. This is my favorite time of the year when all this fruit is available: berries, cherries, melons, pears, peaches, plums (I didn't buy any plums but I really wanted some). Somehow I forgot that I also have eight pineapples that should be ready to be harvested pretty darn soon!  And I also had a 3-lb bag of apples in the fridge!
  2. The minced garlic isn't always in stock at Dollar Tree so when I see it, I buy a couple of jars. It might be cheaper to buy it in a large jar at Walmart, but I don't have room in my fridge for a large jar!

  • 3 ears sweet corn (Publix), on sale @ $0.20 each = $0.60 but FREE with Publix gift card won with the NCAA 2017 IWG, and redeemed a $0.25 rebate from Ibotta so MONEY MAKER.
  • 2.41 lbs red grapes (Publix), on sale @ $1.49/lb = $3.59 but FREE with Publix gift card won with the NCAA 2017 IWG
  • 2.33 lbs cherries (Publix), on sale @ $1.99/lb = $4.64 but FREE with Publix gift card won with the NCAA 2017 IWG
  • 1.49 lbs bananas (Publix) @ $0.59/lb = $0.88 but FREE with Publix gift card won with the NCAA 2017 IWG, and submitted for the 20% Healthy Offer discount on SavingStar, which will net me $0.18 so MONEY MAKER.
  • 1 cantaloupe (Aldi), on sale @ $1.29
  • 2 lbs Anjou pears (Aldi), @ $2.49
  • 2 lbs peaches (Aldi) @ $1.99
  • 2 lbs strawberries (Aldi), on sale @ $1.19/lb = $2.38
  • 8 oz blueberries (Aldi), on sale @ $0.99
  • 2 jars minced garlic (Dollar Tree), @ $1.00 each = $2.00

Proteins: $2.77 OOP
  1. My son is coming home and I thought that he would like corn dogs for his lunches. He can microwave them on his own and it'll be a nice change from sandwiches.
  2. I couldn't pass up $0.02 a package hot dogs!
  3. All the eggs were free and I was down to my last half dozen.
  4. I like to stock up on Butterball smoked turkey sausage when Save A Lot has it in stock and I have coupons for it because I can never get it cheaper than there. Also, those are pretty easy to cram in the freezer even when I think I'm completely out of space!
  • 2 boxes State Fair corn dogs (Publix), on BOGO sale @ $3.49 but FREE with Publix gift card won with the NCAA 2017 IWG
  • 2 packages Bar S franks (Publix), on BOGO sale @ $1.59, minus $0.55/2 printable manufacturer coupon, minus $1.00/2 store coupon = $0.04 but FREE with Publix gift card won with the NCAA 2017 IWG
  • 2 dozens large eggs (CVS), on sale @ $1.49 each but FREE after redemption of ECBs and CVS gift card earned from American Express Rewards
  • 1 dozen large eggs (Save A Lot), @ $1.29 but redeemed a store coupon for a free dozen eggs and store manager refunded me $0.11 too much so MONEY MAKER
  • 2 packages Butterball Smoked Turkey Sausage (Save A Lot), @ $1.99 each, minus (2) $0.55/1 printable manufacturer coupons = $2.88

Snacks: $6.55 OOP

  1. My son is back so I got the regular snacks that I stock for him.
  2. But I also got chocolate for me :)
  3. I thought that the B&J mini ice cream tub might be free after digital coupon again, but I should have double-checked the wording on the coupon since there was a size requirement. Oh well, it'll be a nice surprise for my son this weekend.
  4. Aldi didn't have any of the regular $1.99 Millville protein bars and there wasn't a spot for them on the shelf either. I really hope they didn't discontinue them as Greg really likes them for a daily snack.  If I see them again, I think I'll stock up in advance because it's not the only time that we've had to do without. They sell other kinds of protein bars, but they're more expensive.
  • 1 Ben & Jerry's mini ice cream tub (Publix), on sale @ $1.00 each
  • 2 packages peanut butter crackers (Aldi), @ $0.89 each = $1.78
  • 1 bag wavy potato chips (Aldi) @ $1.49
  • 1 box Swiss rolls (Aldi) @ $1.29
  • 1 white coconut chocolate bar (Aldi) @ $1.99
Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week?  Please link up or share your finds in the comments :)

10 comments:

  1. You did very well with your grocery shopping, as always. I can't believe you got all that for just over $37! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That $100 Publix gift card was a big help this week. I need to pace myself with it and make it count.

      Delete
  2. Walmart and Aldi's are in the shopping center and they are having a price war on milk. I got a gallon of milk at Aldi's for $1.49. It's around $4/gallon in the regular grocery store. That was a pretty good deal for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $1.49 for a gallon of fresh milk is amazing! Did you buy more than a gallon to freeze it? I forget where you live. Are you near Boston?

      Walmart Super Center and Aldi are in shopping centers a block away here and they don't seem to care. I think milk was $2.99 a gallon at Aldi yesterday (but I didn't check since I was getting mine for free from CVS anyway) and Walmart's is always over $4.00. Every store sells the milk for less than Walmart, even Publix, so I don't get it.

      Delete
  3. I need to get more cherries - we just ate the rest of what we had this evening! Oh...I didn't know that Aldi has the white Moser Roth chocolate. Must look!

    I don't know what I would do without Aldi - when we first moved to Florida nine years ago, there were none. But a store employee at "my" Aldi in South Carolina had told me they would be coming to Florida. So I waited with bated breath. LOL.

    Funny about Trader Joe's - I drive all the way to Tampa or Orlando to go to a Trader Joe's (occasionally). You know that they are owned by the same people who own Aldi. It's like "Whole Foods" without the "whole paycheck" pricing. Oh yeah...their cheese. ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Publix cherries are delicious. I finished mine tonight! Did you buy yours at Publix too? Aldi has them on sale but my Aldi only had a few more packages and they didn't look nearly as fresh. Also, they were only 20 cents more a lb at Publix.

      I can't imagine NOT having an Aldi now! Funny how you drive to Orlando to go to Trader Joe's (or Tampa, I've been to the one in Tampa!) but I'll drive to Gainesville. Well, actually, every time I am in Gainesville (which is only about once a year on average), I make it a point to go to Trader Joe's. The only things I usually allow myself to buy there are: whipping cream in the little UHT cartons (I'm almost out, I might need to plan a trip to the Orlando store now!), Stilton cheese, chocolate-covered ginger and salsa verde. My daughter loves their peanut butter chocolate cupcakes.

      Gainesville doesn't have an Aldi, which I think is very strange, considering that it's a large college town. And thanks for reminding me that Trader Joe's is owned by the same company. Maybe that's why there's no Aldi? They don't want to compete? Although in my mind, the clientele is different.

      Yeah, I need to find an excuse to drive to Orlando. I think there's a Trader Joe's that opened in the Dr. Phillips area, no?

      Delete
    2. The Trader Joe's on Sand Lake Road is the one that we had gone to (that was quite a while ago). The one in Tampa is a lot closer to us.

      We stopped at our Aldi in Lakeland this evening, coming back from Orlando (my husband wanted to show me where he works now). They had some cherries left, but I didn't get any. I need to tell myself to not go to Aldi at the end of the day - stuff is just too picked over. I will get some at Publix tomorrow.

      Delete
    3. Yes, the one on Sand Lake Road is the one I had in mind. I have no other reason to go there though, but maybe I can stop by one of Orlando's City Parks in the area to try to take more pictures, it'll be more worth the drive and tolls.

      So does your husband work near Sand Lake Road now? That must be a brutal commute to drive into Orlando. How long does it take him to get to work?

      I almost went to Publix to get more cherries this morning and then talked myself out of it and regretted it the rest of the day. I might need to make a special run tomorrow after all.

      Delete
    4. Ha - you do think a lot like me...if I can do more than one thing in a place that's out of the way, it will be worth the drive/time/gas. LOL.

      Luckily, my husband doesn't work directly in Orlando (oh my, that would indeed be a brutal commute!). He gets off I-4 right after Championsgate, just before the traffic gets to be too much of a mess. He goes up 429 towards Clermont (*waves hello*) a few miles, but that road is not usually congested. It's still a long commute, but it takes about the same amount of time it took him to get to his old job in Tampa.

      Delete
    5. That is indeed a much better commute, the 429 is nice! We're waving back right at him! Greg takes it too but he takes it North of the turnpike to go towards Maitland. He commutes one hour each way but that's the price we pay for living in a semi-rural area. He tries to work from home one day a week and could actually do it more often, but he really likes his gym that is right across from his office so most days he drives to the office mostly so he can go to the gym at lunch time! Ha... that is one reason that I would never ever use to drive for 10 minutes, much less 1 hour each way :)

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!