Sunday, June 26, 2016

I Think I Broke Something... UPDATE: well, no, I think I FIXED Something!


I was trying to troubleshoot that problem with the email subscriptions not working for this blog, and I think I've made things worse... and unfortunately there is no "undo" button.  I've posted my frustrations, err questions on the Feedburner User Group, which, like anything at freaking Google, is run by volunteer users, not necessarily Google staff. So who knows when I'll get an answer and a useful one at that.

If you're an email subscriber, I'm so sorry!  Please wait until about 11 a.m. EST because I think the emails usually get sent between 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. and then tell me if you received any email updates since Monday.

If you follow me any other way (Feedly, Bloglovin' or some other way that I'm not even aware of), please let me know what is the last post that you see for this blog.  Right now I see the latest one "Hot and Humid..." in Feedly, but Bloglovin' doesn't show that one, go figure why!

If you just access this blog by Googling it or typing the URL in your address bar or using a bookmark, you don't need to do anything. (but thanks for reading nonetheless).

Thanks for your patience as I try to work through these issues!

UPDATED at 10:23 a.m. on Sunday 6/26/16:

A big thank you to Ranee from MN for letting me know that she started getting the posts via email again. Woohoo!  After I published this post, something occurred to me so I did a last-ditch attempt and it seemed to have fixed the problem on my end, but I couldn't explain what I did until I got confirmation that the emails were indeed being sent.  She confirmed that she had started getting emails again so I wrote a looooooong blog post to explain what I did, in case you are a blogger yourself who is having the same problem.  You can read all about it here.


6 comments:

  1. FYI - Yeah, you're back via e-mail. Just thought you should know. I will see if some of the other MIA's show up also. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH YAY! Thanks for telling me Ranee! After I posted this last post, something occurred to me and I made a slight change and then it seemed to have fixed the problem but I wasn't sure until someone would tell me if they started getting the emails again.

      I'm going to update this post to reflect what I did to fix it, in case it helps someone else!

      Delete
  2. I'm not very savvy when it comes to the internet and those fancy ways of subscribing to blogs. I just bookmarked your blog and come here "manually." I'm old fashioned. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever works for you! I used bookmarks for years and resisted Greg when he tried to tell me to use Google Reader (that no longer exists) because I didn't understand what an RSS Feed aggregator was. Then I tried it and it changed my life... oh my, it saved me so much time! Nowadays I follow all the blogs that I like in Feedly. That's another (free) RSS Feed Aggregator. It allows you to see ALL the feeds that you subscribe to on one page instead of going to visit each blog individually. So you can see, at at glance, who has posted new content, if you want to read it or just "mark it read", you can email a post to someone else, or share it via a number of options (Facebook, etc.). Depending on how the blogger has set up their feed, you can read the whole post without leaving Feedly (I have allowed full feed so you can read mine completely on Feedly and never have to actually come on the blog itself), but a lot of bloggers also only allow a partial feed so you can read the first few sentences on Feedly but then if you want to read the rest, you have to click the "read more" link provided and it takes you to the person's blog, so it's kind of like a bookmark in that sense.

      I have created categories in My Feedly so all the blogs that I read that focus on Frugal Living are in one category, blogs about Education are in another, blogs about gardening in yet another. Your blog is in the "Other" category, lol. I also follow Reuters, NPR and other news sources on Feedly so I can read the main headlines and see what's going on without necessarily have to read the articles, lol.

      Other people use Feedly to discover new blogs too but I pretty much only use it to keep up with the bloggers that I already like. Anyhoo, I can't say enough good things about Feedly. I wrote a (very long and detailed) blog post explaining how to use it the way I use it last year, if you're interested in learning more about it. It will be worth your time if you follow a lot of blogs and visit a lot of websites every day. It doesn't have to be a blog, actually.

      http://imperfectlyfrugally.blogspot.com/2015/06/how-to-use-rss-feed-aggregator-feedly.html

      Delete
    2. Hmmmm...other news, too, not just blogs you say. Now you've piqued my interest. I may have to investigate this (and learn something new!). Thanks! (And I may have questions for you later...ha!)

      Delete
    3. Anytime... you can email me directly if you'd like, my contact email address is listed on the "Contact Me" tab at the top of my blog :)

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!