Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Tuesday, June 7, 2016



I don't think I'm going to go grocery shopping today after all; I still have dishes to do, I need to make Grape Nuts because Greg ran out last week (it's a little time consuming because I have to baby it at the end), I haven't sorted my coupons, I have Part 2 of Domestic Monday to undergo, etc.  Ah crap, I just remembered that I told my daughter she could have her two friends over after exams tomorrow afternoon and she's being released at 11 a.m.  Crap, crap, crap. I'm going to have to go today after all!  Waaaaa.

We have more rain in the forecast today, 100% chance of rain. Right now our humidity level is at 90%.  My son is being released early from school so there's a chance I'd have to go pick him up...  AND we want to watch Zootopia if it's at Redbox today.

Later on tonight... Greg got a call from his sister to alert him that his dad was admitted to the hospital for observation. He has new health concerns that have arisen and they're not sure whether they're caused by the cancer or something else. Greg talked to his mom to see if she wanted him to go to Ohio right away (he's supposed to go there with our son in a couple of weeks) but she seemed to think it was OK for him to just come when he had planned to.  We should know more in the coming days, as (hopefully) the doctors figure out what is causing the problem and how to address it.

To Do List that Really Should Be Pared Down But I Keep Adding Things to It:
  • Transplant ferns into bare patch in front lawn to make shady planter
  • Iron
  • Finish letter to my great aunt
  • Sort coupons 
  • Caption old pictures that have already been scanned
  • Scan more old pictures
  • Scrub patio pavers with bleach to remove mildew
  • Get new potted flowers for the patio
  • File paperwork
  • Enter some Coke codes into MCR
  • Finish painting squirrel sign and assemble it
  • Create spreadsheet to track IRA contributions using ALL our old tax returns
  • Look into fertilizing the raspberries
  • Trim weeds alongside berm edging
  • Add more mulch to berm
  • Research bird feeders at Ace Hardware and poles too.
  • Download all May photos to my external drive
  • Write May grocery shopping recap post
  • Replace roach traps
  • Inventory battery drawer and see what I would need for hurricane season and add to shopping list Done
  • Inventory supplies for master bedroom painting project
  • Research extension cords for generator
  • Call eye doctor to make annual appointment
  • Call gyneco to make annual appointment
  • Find the cats' rabies licenses
  • Exercise! 
  • Make a solar oven
  • Compose reply email to Viviane
  • Print and laminate medical cards for daughter
  • Vacuum living room and breezeway
  • Sweep the main stairs
  • Write a thank you note and a check for my former brother- and sister-in-law who will be hosting my daughter for 8 weeks (her dad and I are splitting food and gas costs for her)
  • Sign up for Herp Hike?
  • Look at what strength training fitness videos I have at home that I would feel comfortable using
  • Try to figure out why the new propane tank isn't working?! Maybe I didn't connect it properly. Or order new connecting hose?
  • Go to AT&T and see what we need to do to lower the cost of Greg's phone plan since it's now paid off
  • Check coupon organizer for $2 produce Target store coupon Done
  • Take another Driscoll's survey (if find Target cpn) Done
  • Study dSLR camera manual
  • Spray oven cleaner on the shower stall walls once everyone is away for a few days, scrub it all clean, and redo the grouting too
  • Make a new batch of Montreal Steak Seasoning
  • Do dishes - I emptied out the dishwasher!
  • Make Grape Nuts Done
  • Fold laundry
  • Call in refill at pharmacy

FRUGAL SUCCESSES
  • Packed leftovers for Greg. He actually didn't want what I had packed for him so he took the rest of the bass that he had fished.  Good, because I don't like bony fish leftovers, LOL.

  • The kids are being released early because of the final exam schedule so they will eat lunch at home.

  • I reused water collected in the shower to flush the toilet.

  • I added 1/2 gallon of water to 1/2 gallon of whole milk to stretch it.

  • RaceTrac confirmed that the Sodapalooza cup that I won will be on its way within the week... meanwhile. I was wondering who I could give it to because everyone I know doesn't drink soda, but when I asked Greg whether he would want 2 cups so he can get double the amount of soda to last him through his workday, he was very enthusiastic about it so I guess I'll be keeping it, lol.

  • Adjusted my shopping list down, considering that my daughter will be gone so we won't need as much bread, milk...

  • I took another Driscoll's Consumer Panel survey to get extra coupons for my shopping trip this morning.

  • I earned the daily Bing Rewards credits and a few Swagbucks.

  • I ran my errands:
    • RaceTrac: got a free diet soda refill with my Sodapalooza cup and a free blueberry muffin for my daughter with a survey reward code.

    • Walgreens:  I spent a lot of money there as I had to buy face wash for my daughter but took advantage of a "Buy 2, Get 1 Free promo" (she's set forever now!), stocked up on razors for the both of us, got BOGO batteries for hurricane season, hair elastic bands, fluoride rinse for my son and a box of candy.  My favorite cashier directed me to the beauty counter to check out as the cashier there clips coupons to offer them to customers and she said I was one of her "coupon queens", LOL. However, today she didn't have any coupons that could have benefited me :(  So she gave me a bag of free samples instead :)  After checking out, I realized that I had been overcharged for the fluoride rinse; she went to check the price and saw that the promotional price sticker had been put in the wrong spot, but she honored it for me so I ended up paying only $1.06 for the bottle (down from something like $6!).  Still, my OOP was $52.25. I got $3 back in Register Rewards and earned 5,650 Balance Reward points. Added to my previous BR points, I have enough to redeem for $10 in free merchandise next time I shop there!  I charged my OOP to my Amazon Chase Visa card, which will earn me 2% back in Rewards.

    • Publix: all I wanted was the 40-ct box of Zing sweetener packets. It was on sale for $2.59 and I redeemed a $1.50/1 insert coupon so I paid $1.09 OOP (charged to Amex for 3% in Rewards) and submitted for a $0.75 rebate on Ibotta.  I also picked up my copy of Zootopia at Redbox.

    • Save A Lot: I wasn't going to go there today, but as I approached the area, I remembered that the chubs of ground beef that I had seen there last week had a sell-by date of 6/8 so I decided to stop and see if they were on 50% clearance. They weren't because I guess they sold them all :(  I did get a 4 lbs pork butt roast on clearance for $1.89/lb, bacon for $2.00 for a lb (I'll need it for the Cowboy Steaks I plan on cooking for Father's Day), and 5 links of Butterball Smoked Turkey Sausage @ $1.99 each, for which I had $0.55/1 and $1.00/2 coupons.  They don't always have them so when they do and I have coupon for them, I stock up.  My OOP was $16.95 and I charged it to Discover (2% Bonus Rewards).

    • Vet's: I stopped to pick up the extra bag of cat food that I had ordered for hurricane season back-up, but the truck hadn't gotten there yet. Later on I called to see if it had but I got their voicemail so I didn't go back. I'll get it next week.

    • RaceTrac: I gassed up my SUV at $2.27/gallon (2 cents cheaper than in my town), got a new receipt for a freebie and made sure to enter my loyalty number so I earned 9 loyalty points on my app.  I also filled up my Sodapalooza cup again since I had drank half my drink already, and got a free Monterey Chicken grill item for my son's lunch.  I made sure to grab 4 packets of yellow mustard with it because Greg likes yellow mustard on his hot dogs but I don't buy it since no one else uses it.  I asked the attendant if I was allowed to get iced tea instead of soda with my Sodapalooza cup and he said yes, so that's nice to know because sometimes I get sick of the soda.

    • SuperTarget: I only wanted strawberries, that were on sale for $2.00 for one pound.  They mostly had no-brand strawberries, but they did have enough Driscoll's for me to grab the 5 packages that I wanted. I redeemed (5) $1.00/1 coupons from the Consumer Advisory Panel and a $2.00/$10 Target store printable coupon. Sadly, there wasn't any Cartwheel offer on those.  I also grabbed a package of Land'O Lakes Black Forest Ham. We didn't need it but I had a coupon and could redeem an Ibotta rebate on it too so it was cheaper than what I would have gotten at Aldi. I froze it.  There was nothing interesting on the clearance shelf.  I got one of those very chatty cashiers that probably would irritate people less if she was just quieter... she started saying that she didn't know if my $2.00 store coupon would work because this other lady had one like that that didn't so I started to get stressed while waiting for her to finish scanning the coupons, and then of course it was fine so then she had to treat me to the story of the other lady and grrr, I just wanted to be on my way!  Anyhoo, my OOP was $5.88 for 5 lbs of strawberries and 1 lb of ham!  I charged it to my Target Mastercard, which allowed me to save 5% too.

    • CVS: I did 2 transactions there since I separate groceries (paid for with my CVS gift cards) from the rest (paid for with Amazon Chase Visa for 2% back in Rewards). 
      • I spent a lot of money there too, my favorite cashier did a double take when she saw my total and thought something was wrong but I spent $45 on one of those AmopĂ© foot files, definitely a big splurge for me. I got $10 back in ECB on it.  Then I also stocked up on maxi pads (Buy 1, Get 1 50% off and I used a $3/2 coupon), Tums Chewy Delights for Greg (used a $1.50 coupon which she said had expired but I don't think it had but she pushed it through anyway), a bottle of CVS branded "Off Deep Woods" for when we go fishing and when Greg goes camping, and 3 large bottles of Purex laundry detergent that were on sale and for which I redeemed $4 in coupon and got $5.00 back in ECBs. My OOP was $87.60 (yikes!) but I got $15.00 back in ECBs that I will apply to my groceries in the next few weeks.

      • My second transaction was groceries. I got a gallon of whole milk on sale @ $2.79, 2 pints of Haagen Dazs ice cream for the kids, on sale @ $3.00 each and I had $2.00/2 loaded to my ExtraCare card and a small pack of M&Ms that I got for free with a coupon that I had requested from somewhere but I can't remember where.  I redeemed $2.75 in ECBs earned last week. My OOP was $4.55 but it was free to me since I used one of my CVS gift cards that I had earned with our American Express Rewards.

      • Before I checked out, another customer approached me and asked if I wanted some of her coupons that were about to expire so I said "Sure!" and she had a whole organizer of tag coupons and peelies that she had ordered in grids on sheets of paper.... many many MANY duplicates... that really irked me because obviously she is the type of person to grab the coupons off products on display, that she never buys, and then she's acting all generous to share "her" coupons with others.  But I held my tongue. None of her coupons were for products that I would buy anyway and she was incredulous that I was turning her down!  I think that lady has emotional problems. I've offered coupons to people before only because I saw them buying items for which I had coupons that I wasn't going to use, but I don't go around peeling all the stickers and taking all the tags!  

    • Aldi: between the parents letting their little kids get their groceries from the dairy case, strollers, people with walkers, people with wheelchairs and just plain slow people, shopping there today was a little frustrating because it was s-l-o-w. I'm not really a patient person and yes, I do realize that at one point I might be a person in a wheelchair or using a walker. I'm sorry. I had to pee very badly and I just wanted to go home!  I had hoped to stock up some more on those delicious but seasonal chipotle chicken sausages but they were completely out, boo hoo hoo.  However, I did find strip steaks that had discount stickers on them so I grabbed the 3 smallest and saved $2.00 per steak. Still a splurge but I rarely buy steak. I didn't buy any vegetables today (unless you count 1 avocado as a veggie) but I did buy fruit (apples, bananas, grapes). I was also surprised to find most of the bread marked down (I asked the cashier later on if it was a price reduction that you all might see too but it was a store special) so I bought bread that I wasn't planning on buying and now I'm wondering what the heck I'm going to do with it since I have absolutely no room in my freezers OR my fridge for it and it's very humid and I'm on a diet so no bread pudding for me!  Arrgh. But the loaves of white bread were marked down to $0.69 and the hamburger buns were marked down to $0.49.  I also got pretzel buns as a treat but those were full price.  I stocked up on more cat litter, toilet paper and trash bags for hurricane season, and I got some dishwasher detergent. So my OOP was $61.75 and I charged it to Amex to get 3% back in Rewards. I texted Jodie to alert her to the bread sale but she didn't need any.

    • Bath & Body Works. I hadn't been in our brand new store yet so I was excited. It is pretty small but fully stocked, but it took me forever to find the Lilac-scented candle that I had wanted. Usually you get tons of people asking if you need help but today no one seemed to be around, which was irritating. I finally found the candle and then stood in line... and when it was my turn, I found out that despite it being the semi-annual sale and having 50% off 3-wick candles signs everywhere, I must have picked the only scent that actually was NOT on sale and I'm not paying $25 for a candle so I left empty-handed. I did snap pictures of 2 candles for my daughter as it reminded me of our trip to France last year :)

The Paris Lavender Macaron actually doesn't smell nice at all, and the Provence Garden one doesn't smell anything like lavender, which is actually grown in Provence.  So I wasn't impressed. I really wanted that Lilacs candle, darn it!
    • Winn Dixie liquor store: they were still out of the whiskey that I usually get for Greg so I texted him some pictures and prices for him to pick something else. So I ended up paying a little more than I had planned. I only bought 3 bottles and reminded the cashier that she had said I could get the 10% discount for buying 4 bottles if I brought back my receipt showing that I had bought a bottle 2 weeks ago already so that helped a little. My OOP was $48.96 and I charged it to Amex, hoping that it will be classified as a grocery store purchase, which would earn me 3% in Rewards.

    • My last stop was RaceTrac again!  I got a 3rd free refill for myself and got a free frozen drink refill for my son.


  • I had lunch at home: a chipotle chicken sausage on a hamburger bun, some red potato salad (still left over from our Publix dinner on Saturday night) and a very ripe banana.


  • I mixed a batch of homemade Grape Nuts batter and baked it. I let it cool off while the kids and I watched "Zootopia". It was very funny and I took advantage of watching it at home to do other grocery shopping-related tasks at the same time (inputting my receipts in all my spreadsheets, submitting rebates) and earn the Bing Rewards/Swagbucks for today. We have the movie until tomorrow night technically, so I can re-watch it and probably will tonight... while folding the laundry.  I surprised the kids with the Haagen-Dazs and they were very happy ;)

  • I submitted my receipts for rebates with MobiSave, Ibotta and Checkout 51 and they credited my accounts very fast.  I also used a SavingStar rebate for the Purex but that one will be credited automatically via my ExtraCare card.




  • I received my box of free samples from PinchMe.com.
Greg will keep the bed bug detector and trap in his truck, in case he and our son end up staying in a hotel while on their trip.  The Purina One cat food is usually donated to the shelter or to my neighbor, but this time I added it to our cat food supply as an emergency back-up.  I have several samples of ZzzQuil and I suppose that I should remember to try it out next time I can't sleep!  The Pepto-Bismol went to Greg. I'll give the Eucerin to my daughter as I have plenty of moisturizers and potions and I actually don't use any of them!
  • Dinner was burgers and corn on the cob grilled on the barbecue.  I was supposed to make a salad as well but I didn't and it's just as well because I don't think we would have eaten it. My daughter and I had strawberries for dessert. They are de-licious. So huge and so flavorful!  I really love Driscoll's berries.

  • CouponPro posted an alert about being able to purchase "The Croods" in HD on Amazon for free so I did that.  I have no particular interest in watching it (I think I started watching it a couple of summers ago but lost interest pretty fast) but... free is free, LOL.


  • My daughter went to Publix to buy a helium balloon tonight because she needs it for a Physics project on sound that she is presenting tomorrow.  As soon as she walked into the house, the balloon popped!  I wonder if it was the temperature difference between the heat and humidity outside and the air conditioned house... I told her to go back with her receipt to see if they would replace it and they did. I love Publix :)

  • My kids' dentist wants them to use Prevident (prescription toothpaste) every time they brush their teeth. It costs $15 a bottle.  This morning, as I was emptying the trashcans throughout the house, I found the "old" bottle of Prevident that my son had thrown away.  I opened the top and I swear there is about 1/5 of the bottle left in there. That's $3 worth of toothpaste, far more than I spend on 1 tube of regular toothpaste for us since I usually get ours for free after coupons! It just won't come out when you squeeze the bottle.  So tonight I showed the bottle to my son, explained how much money we were wasting by just throwing the bottle away, showed him how the top of the bottle came off altogether and asked him to use the rest of it. I mentioned that if he couldn't get it out, we would cut open the bottle so he could get to it. He was receptive to the idea. He's actually a very frugal child, but it never occurred to him to cut open the bottle. 
Oh, "Prevident". I've been calling it "Prevadent" for years!



SPLURGES
  • $1.61 to rent "Zootopia" from Redbox. I just put it on hold at Publix.  It's coming out on Netflix next week so I could have saved the money altogether, but my daughter really wanted to watch it with her brother and myself before she left for California, so what the heck, right? And no, I didn't have a free code.  But I earned points on my Redbox Play Pass towards a free rental.


  • I spent $45 on one of those AmopĂ© foot files!  I know, it's a big indulgence but I don't do salons and I wanted to pamper myself.  It was $50 but I used a $5 coupon and got $10 in ExtraCare Bucks.

  • Haagen Dazs ice cream for the kids to eat while we watched the movie.

FAILURES
  • I had to throw away a Publix cloth bag because it ripped.

  • I had a $2.00/$5.00 in Tums CVS store offer uploaded to my ExtraCare card but it didn't come off my bill and I didn't realize that until I had already left.  Grrr. I wish CVS was near my house so I could go back easily, but it's 15-20 minutes away so I'd spend more than $2.00 in gas for the round-trip!

  • I had told myself that I was going to move my recumbent bike into the living room and bike as we watched the movie but when I finally sat down to eat lunch and put the movie on, I was tired and frankly too lazy to do it. So I didn't exercise. I briefly considered folding the laundry instead but I didn't do that either. Now it's 6 p.m. and I have to go cook dinner and also process and continue cooking the Grape Nuts for Greg, arrgh. Where has the day gone?!  I just warned Greg that I hadn't done the dishes either and he's wondering what the heck I did all day. Me too, quite frankly!

  • I broke a couple of jars tonight because I was rushing and not being careful. They weren't expensive jars, just jars I had washed to reuse them at some point, but I felt very wasteful nonetheless. Plus I had glass all over the kitchen when I was in the middle of cooking dinner and making the Grape Nuts and unloading the dishwasher!  Ugh.

  • The dishwasher is really doing a poor job. I have to re-run it a couple of times sometimes.  It's 14 years-old so it might be time to replace it. Greg wants to.  It's going to be challenging because of how poorly I tiled the kitchen (I didn't know what I was doing!)... some tiles will need to be chiseled out. At the same time, it would be a great opportunity to redo all the cabinetry and countertops but that would be very expensive. We can afford it, I suppose, but neither of us are willing to invest so much money into something that we don't really feel is necessary. My kitchen looks horrible but I can still cook and do the dishes and that's really all I need, lol. Anyway, I'm going to run it empty with vinegar in it and then with baking soda to see if that might help. You know what?  I've never done this and apparently you're supposed to do it every month. Really?  Do you guys wash your dishwasher?

  • U by Kotex sent me an email to say that their website had a glitch when I last ordered a free sample. and promised me that I would get the sample and extra coupons for my trouble if only I follow their link to resubmit my request.  I did... and I got an error message!  Ugh. I guess no free samples for me!


CHORES
  • Cooked breakfast for Greg
  • Set the breakfast table
  • Packed Greg's lunch
  • Put "Zootopia" on hold at Redbox
  • Worked on my shopping list
  • Collected the trash throughout the house and took the large bin down to the curb
  • Sorted my coupons
  • Scrubbed upstairs toilet
  • Grocery shopping and errands
  • Documented my trip and put everything away
  • Watched Zootopia with the kids
  • Input all my receipts into my spreadsheets
  • Submitted rebates
  • Cooked dinner
  • Unloaded the dishwasher
  • Made Grape Nuts
  • Ran empty dishwasher with vinegar to attempt to clean it

As you can see, I didn't do many chores today and so I didn't actively try to declutter, but I did manage to find a pair of sneakers that I had kept from my older sons in hopes my youngest would wear them some day. Well, I completely forgot about them and now he's about 2 sizes larger so they went into my donation box.



HEALTH
  • Today wasn't a good day... I felt too busy to input my food intake into MFP (well, after typing this I'm feeling guilty so I may do this) and I didn't exercise. My weight seems stable... which isn't good since I'm supposed to be losing weight, damn it.  How can I not lose any weight when I'm presumably eating less than before?  It's maddening.

  • I followed Tara's advice and drank a whole cup of water when I got up. It was easier than I thought because I had left my cup on the table overnight and drinking room temperature water is easier than drinking cold water at times like this, I think.

  • Breakfast: 1 cup generic rice crispies, 0.5 cup ~2% milk, banana

  • Lunch: a chipotle chicken sausage on a hamburger bun, 1/2 cup potato salad, a banana


  • Mid-afternoon snacks: a box of Trolli sour worms (better than a pint of ice cream, I think) while I was watching the movie.

  • Dinner: a cheeseburger, one ear of corn, a cup and a half of strawberries with half a cup of light whipped dairy topping.
Hmm, the lighting in the picture isn't good and it making the burgers look very charred. They weren't!

9 comments:

  1. Seems to me that you did a lot! All those errands you ran and the shopping, etc., all take time. Plus you did some chores, as well.

    Sorry to read that Greg's father is having health issues and was taken to the hospital. Hope all will be well and he'll be able to go home soon.

    You know, I've never run vinegar through my dishwasher, either! I should look for the manual and see what I am supposed to do!

    Yum! Grilled corn! And strawberries! I am so looking forward to eating strawberries once I'm done with chemo!

    Hope you have a great day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bless. We expect him to be in the hospital for a few days at least, but we hopefully should know more today.

      I'm relieved I wasn't the only one who didn't know to clean the dishwasher (in all honesty, I probably had heard of it at some point and thought it was BS). I only did the vinegar last night, you're supposed to run with with baking powder afterwards to deodorize it. I haven't done that part as I needed to do a lot of dishes this morning so I'm already running my first load and hoping the vinegar made a difference!

      I was thinking that I might need to bake something with the strawberries so they don't spoil, but they are so tasty that we might just eat them all as snacks, ha ha ha.

      Delete
  2. I can totally relate to your story about the lady with the coupons. Once I peeled a coupon off a product -- that I was buying, but the box I had selected didn't have the peelie -- and spent the rest of the trip feeling kind of criminal. It really infuriates me when people just strip the coupons...I think it's almost an addiction/compulsion.

    Your burgers look yummy -- I've been craving hamburgers lately, but just haven't gotten around to actually making any.

    I do clean out my dishwasher regularly. I didn't find just putting baking soda in to be very effective, so I actually buy a product specifically for cleaning the dishwasher and the garbage disposal. I'm pretty sure they're just packets of baking soda with some kind of cleaning agent mixed in, but I don't have to wipe down the inside of my dishwasher like I do when I just use baking soda, so that's a win for me. I try to remember to run a rinse cycle just with vinegar every so often, too. Like your, my dishwasher is older and I would prefer not to replace any appliances until we actually re-do the kitchen. Whenever that might be...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw those products being marketed for washing machines, actually, and I thought they were for suckers. And now I feel like the sucker because I probably should have been washing the dishwasher (and now washing machine too probably, although I usually use vinegar in that one as a softener) all those years! Wiping down the inside of it after you do the baking soda? Wouldn't it washed off with the water? I'm glad I didn't use the baking soda, then!

      The bottom dishes seemed cleaner but some of the top ones left to be desired still. I'm annoyed because if I have to wash the dishes BEFORE putting them in the dishwasher then what's the point, right?

      Yes, I think you're right about that woman, she does have an addiction. All those coupons that other people could have used that she's now trying to foil onto strangers because they're about to expire. I should have shown her my coupon organizer that was sitting in my cart but that she didn't seem to notice. I mean she had a little envelope in her purse (but it was full!) while my organizer is kind of massive (http://imperfectlyfrugally.blogspot.com/2015/04/how-i-plan-my-weekly-shopping-trip-part_2.html). I don't hoard coupons (mine are mostly those that I print) but I like to have a variety with me "just in case". I don't use probably 99.5% of them though, anymore. Funny how much I have been saving money once I stopped buying things just because I could have them for pennies on the dollar after playing the coupon game :)

      Delete
    2. Well, I think the baking soda residue had more to do with my machine than the baking soda. It's definitely a finicky little machine.

      Regarding coupons -- I too find myself spending less money overall now than I did when I was always trying to chase a deal. And I also don't have the kind of waste I once did, since the food I buy is the food we want to eat, not just the stuff that was the cheapest. :) I think that some folks are seriously so skilled in their use of coupons but for me it ended up being a source of anxiety (mentally) and waste (literally). I do print some occasionally, but mostly I am a coupon free shopper.

      Delete
  3. You probably felt too busy today because you were. I don't expect to get much of anything done when I have to go into town to shop or run errands. I go to a couple of places. You have a list of 7-15 places in a day. Then you come home to categorize them, enter your receipts, apply for rebates, etc., etc. Then you tackled your to-do list and got some chores accomplished. That is a big deal.I know that we have come to expect it from you, but I still have to say...great bargain hunting, and great FREEBIES. You are the queen.

    Concerning the dishwasher, I will clean the rim around the door when I can't stand looking at it anymore. I take apart the pieces from time to time and clean out the best I can (the filter, trap, and spray arms)Do I do that every month? Hardly. Occasionally, I will buy the Finish dishwasher cleaner that you run through the machine on its own, when there is a rebate on it (making it free. But what I do all the time is, I put vinegar in my rinse aid dispenser and make sure that stays full. My dishwasher is way older than 14 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, I have never EVER looked at the rim around the dishwasher, much less cleaned it. Now I'm afraid to look. I have gone back to using Finish Rinse Aid, the alternatives I was using just didn't do much. I don't see a way to clean the filter, it looks like it's a fixed part in the very back of my dishwasher. Kudos to you for having yours still operational way past 14 years! I really don't want to have to get a new one, it seems so wasteful since it runs. I'm thinking that a big part of the problem is that I overload it since I can't seem to make myself actually do the dishes every night. Plus, I need to declutter my kitchen. I just counted my forks and I have 25 of them (not including the plastic ones that everyone keeps on bringing back because I have trained them not to throw them away!). It's getting ridiculous since there are only 4 of us here! And yet, sometimes I run out of clean forks. **hang my face in shame**

      As for being the queen, you are kind, but I think Alison is the queen. Compared to her, I'm like a baroness or something :)

      You get the Finish dishwasher cleaner for free? Well, you are at least a duchess. I'm gonna have to look into those products, I guess. Then, as you said earlier, it's gonna be yet one more thing to add to my calendar of chores that (I tend to ignore) I'll have to do. Sigh.

      Delete
  4. You did a lot today...compared to you, I'm a slug!

    Re: Look at what strength training fitness videos I have at home that I would feel comfortable using - have you ever checked out https://www.fitnessblender.com/? I always try to get in some strength training each week...they say that's what gets your metabolism going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you kidding? You have a JOB. That trumps everything :)

      Thanks for the link. I didn't know about this site at all!

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!