Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Wednesday 6/22/16

It's Wednesday morning, 8:30 a.m. and I'm sitting on the patio with my morning coffee and two homemade muffins, waiting for the birds to appear.

It's hotter than yesterday and there's not much of a breeze, so the humidity is way more noticeable than the past couple of days.  It's also supposed to be hotter, about 10 degrees hotter than a couple of days ago, with official highs of 97 for today through the end of the week, if I believe one app. With the humidity thrown in, it'll feel  much hotter.  I'm not opening the windows today.

Once again my "let's keep the AC off all night!" plan was derailed by a hot flash last night. I turned it back on to 77F and it was running in the kitchen at 4:30 a.m. when I went to get some water.  So much for cool nights and I'm glad I turned it on.  I fell asleep on the couch watching the series finale of "Extras" on HBONow when I was woken up by loud cat crying noises. I thought it was the TV and I turned down the sound, but I kept on hearing the noises and it was very loud and not coming from inside the house.  So I opened the front door and that gray stray cat (a female, by the way) was right on the other side, screaming.  She ran off as soon as I opened the door and I was annoyed so I shoo'ed her and she ran under my SUV. Then I didn't hear her again. My cats were suspiciously quiet and uninterested.  That stray cat must have been in heat.

I went to bed and it was a little stuffy upstairs but the pedestal fan helped. I slept well but I was thirsty and out of water so I got up at 4:30 a.m. to go get more water and, by the time I had walked downstairs, through the house, gotten water, and walked all the way back upstairs, I was wide awake.  So I read the news on my phone and then remembered that I had a TV in the room so I turned it on and found an episode of "Ellen" that was coming in clearly. However, after a while, the station started pixelating  so I turned it off and fell back asleep. I slept until the very loud, squeaky brakes of the Recycling truck woke me up at 8 a.m.  I was so glad that I took the recycling down to the curb last night!

So I'm thinking that I may stay home again today. We'll see. It's hard to feel motivated to go anywhere when I first wake up and I'm groggy.  Usually Wednesdays are shopping days for me, but I don't really need anything and now that I'm not meeting Jodie at the movie theater, I would have to make a special trip into Clermont.

So I don't know what my plans for today are.  I do want to go to RaceTrac to pick up free soda refills and a roller grill item for my dinner tonight but that can wait.  I have plenty of cleaning to do inside the house and I should play with the cats too.  I sat in my son's computer chair last night, on purpose, because that's the only way Male Cat will jump on me of his free will, to get pet.  I figured that after two days without the love and attention from my son, the cats must have been craving human contact.  Male Cat jumped on me alright and cuddled and cuddled and cuddled so much that I got bored (OK, that took probably 5 minutes but it felt longer!) so I turned on my son's PC so I could read blogs while petting the cat. Only he didn't like sharing the attention, probably, and out of the blue tried to bite my hand!  So that was that. I'm sure it was a playful bite but that's not the way I play.  The female 2 cats didn't seem to want my attention.  They had gotten head pats and a caress here and there earlier in the day and didn't seem to care one way or the other. Fine.  But by then I was covered in male cat's hair.  I think I need to brush them.

I received an answer from my older son's GF who said going out to dinner and then attending my son's concert together was a great idea. Woohoo! So we're on and I need to buy the tickets and then research a restaurant in the area.  She also sent me the URL to her Etsy store.  She and her sister sell hair bows and other trinkets on Etsy and apparently she is doing pretty well, for a college student doing this on the side while also working.  So glad for her.  Her crafts aren't anything that I would buy for myself, which is good because I won't be spending any money, lol.

Greg and our son left his daughter's house at about 8:30 a.m. and are on their way to Columbus, OH, where his parents now live.  It's another day of driving for him. He was telling me yesterday that he got super tired after hiking to see two waterfalls, which isn't like him so I was concerned, but he reminded me that he was at 3,000 feet, which is quite a difference from Florida (we're at 102 ft here!) and left him breathless.  This reminded me of how I couldn't breathe after climbing just a few steps at the Aiguille du Midi last year (about 12,000 ft, although I wasn't at the very top). In fact, this is where I was last year, on June 21 (awww, Greg and I were both out of breath on June 21, a year apart!). Those steps on the right were the ones that did me in!  Look at the view of Chamonix down in the valley, though... it was so high. We had such a great time.  The trip up the téléférique (cable car) was terrifying for my son and me because we are afraid of heights, but my daughter loved it.

By Leo-setä - Flickr: Aiguille du Midi, CC BY 2.0,
 It gets harder when you're older, too, and Greg and I keep forgetting that we're approaching 50!

10:30 a.m.  The lovely breeze is back and I've been enjoying watching the few birds that have returned to the backyard today!   This is shaping up to be a fine day!  I'm still in my nightgown and am pondering which chores I should try to knock off my list today. I need to wash the older cats' litterbox because now it's stinky.  I'd like to have the energy to sweep and then mop the kitchen properly because it really needs it.  I need to straighten out the cat room. I just took a few pictures of the cats and realized that the covers on the ancient couch and chair are in complete disarray and make that room look very bad. It doesn't really matter as I'm the only one here... until I take photos and realize just how bad it looks, lol!  I should get going with the decluttering too.

OK, leftover To Do List from yesterday plus a few more things:

Current To-Do List:
  • Transplant ferns into bare patch in front lawn to make shady planter
  • Finish letter to my great aunt - still waiting on a picture that she requested that Middle Son took but that he hasn't sent me.
  • Caption old pictures that have already been scanned
  • Scan more old pictures
  • Scrub patio pavers with bleach to remove mildew
  • Get new potted flowers for the patio - Bought Peace Lily
  • File paperwork
  • Enter some Coke codes into MCR
  • Finish painting squirrel sign and assemble it
  • Create spreadsheet to track IRA contributions using ALL our old tax returns
  • Fertilize the raspberries
  • Add more mulch to berm
  • Download all May photos to my external drive
  • Replace roach traps
  • Inventory supplies for master bedroom painting project
  • Research extension cords for generator
  • Call eye doctor to make annual appointment. Done
  • Call gyneco to make annual appointment
  • Find the cats' rabies licenses
  • Exercise! 
  • Vacuum living room and breezeway - Done
  • Sweep the main stairs
  • Sweep and mop kitchen - will mop tomorrow
  • Dust
  • Look into getting new connecting hose for the propane tank 
  • Study dSLR camera manual
  • Spray oven cleaner on the shower stall walls, scrub it all clean, and redo the grouting too
  • Clean oven too! Sprayed it with oven cleaned. Will wipe it off in the morning.
  • Read reply from insurer about son's prescription
  • Prep master bedroom with painter's tape
  • See if I still have mildew-resistant white paint for bathroom ceiling
  • Declutter breezeway cabinets
  • Declutter linen closet
  • Take donations to thrift store
  • Gather book donations for Friends of the Library and schedule a drop-off
  • Clean kitchen cabinets
  • Investigate new paint shade for cabinets
  • Harvest and dry old basil plants
  • Harvest lettuce?
  • Collect lettuce seeds
  • Empty out recycling bins by the shed
  • Take items to the dump
  • Inventory seeds for Fall plantings
  • Input all receipts in checkbook and other spreadsheets Done
  • Find out from the Computer Repair store how much they would charge me for replacing my laptop's power jack. Done
  • Wash Older Cats' litter box. Done
  • Straighten out couch and chair cover in Cat Room -Done
  • Fix the shoe shelf that has collapsed
  • Buy concert tickets for Oldest Son's concert

  • For breakfast, I had a cup of free coffee (won at Wawa) in my free Wawa mug won in the same contest (no, I don't get tired of pointing it out, lol) and a couple of my homemade chocolate chip banana muffins.  It's going to be such a hardship eating all those muffins on my own, lol.  Diet?  yay, yay, yay. I'm on vacation and the diet is too. I think it went to Mexico or something, It told me not to worry about him for a few weeks.

  • BzzAgent sent me a campaign invite for Venus & Olay Razors and shaving cream.  I opted in but I won't know for a while whether I was selected or not.  If I am, I hope I get the products for free, not just a coupon that had me spending more money like they did with the lasagna pasta!

  • I checked the new weekly sales ads for Aldi, Save A Lot, and Winn Dixie.  Oh, there are interesting sales!  I might have to go buy some fruit. I have no room for the chicken legs, too bad because it's a very good deal.

Winn Dixie
  • I reused water collected in the shower yesterday to flush the toilet.  Since I had to shower after trimming the yard last night (a dirtier task than I expected!), I skipped taking a shower this morning.

  • I scheduled a bill payment online via my bank. Free online banking and bill paying is awesome. Also, it was my water bill that was back down to $67.21, what we usually pay per month.  I guess I didn't water the garden at all, which counter balanced the couple of baths that I took?

  • So I want to drive to RaceTrac to get the free soda refills and my dinner for tonight but I also like to consolidate errands... trying to decide whether to run other errands at the same time, but I'd have to drive into Clermont and I don't feel like it. It seems like a waste of gas to drive only to RaceTrac (it's a mile away so not a huge waste) and I should really bike but it's hot, darn it.  OK I might drive a few miles to Save A Lot to get some grapes since they're on sale AND Checkout 51 has a $0.25 rebate that expires today. But then I might as well stop by Publix and try to score the freebies that IHeartPublix keeps posting about.  I should avoid couponing blogs when I'm on a self-imposed "pantry challenge". lol.

  • So I did end up consolidating several errands into one (also resulting in a small "field trip" as illustrated at the end of this post)
    • RaceTrac:
      • Got my 2 free caffeine free Diet Coke refills with my 2 Sodapalooza cups
      • Redeemed a survey reward code for a free roller grill item. This time I chose a bacon cheddar dog.
      • I got 2 free packets of sweet relish and 2 free packets of yellow mustard with my roller grill item, which I'm keeping for later. (come to find out, I didn't need to get the relish, you'll find out why in the next section).

    • Publix:
      • I had store and manufacturer coupons lined up to get 2 free jars of Vlasic Bold Toppers after BOGO sale, but my Publix apparently doesn't carry those :( Thankfully, the coupons were also good for Vlasic relish, which happened to be on sale for $1.39 a jar.  So I paid... well, wait a minute, I thought I was getting those for free too but I miscalculated so I paid $0.14 per jar.  Well darn it.  That's $0.28 too much because we really don't use relish AND I can get the packet for free at RaceTrac with my free roller grill items!  That'll teach me to be greedy.
      • a box of Minute Maid Multi Grain Medley Instant Rice. It was on sale for $2.00 and I had a $1.00 coupon from an insert and there is a $1.00 rebate on Checkout 51, so FREE.
      • two boxes of Hamburger Helper. They were on sale for $1.00 each and there is a $1.00/2 rebate (they call it "coupon", I call it "rebate) on SavingStar, so FREE.  And actually, I made $1.00 off it because when I entered my home phone number (I always do, just in case) a digital coupon that I had clipped was deducted as well!  Looking at my receipt, it looks like the cashier, who was new, manually entered all the coupons as "vendor coupons" instead of scanning them, hence allowing the digital coupon to be applied as well.  Well, woohoo for me, right Susan?!
      • 2 stand-up bags of SweeTarts candy: on sale @ $3.00 each, and I redeemed a $1.00/2 Target store coupon (my Publix accepts Target coupons as competitor coupons).  I paid $5.42 OOP but I also submitted my receipt to Nestlé for a $5.00 rebate that will come in as a prepaid debit card so I paid $0.42 in tax, which really is paid for by the overage on the Hamburger Helper.  Also, I noticed on the rebate instructions that I could submit 2 rebates, so I will go back on Friday to get 2 more bags.
      • I wanted to get 2 free bags of Black Forest organic gummy worms since they're on sale for $1.00 a bag and I have $1.00/1 printable coupons but they were out of them.  Since it's a long-term price reduction, they wouldn't give me a raincheck, but the store's assistant manager put in an order right in front of me and said it should come in on Friday.  Woohoo!
      • So I paid $6.70 OOP, and I charged it to Amex so I'll get 3% back in Rewards. However, I will also receive $7.00 back in rebates so I made $0.30 off the whole thing :)  OK so the relish ended up being free after all. Yay!

    • Save A Lot:
      • 2.77 lbs of cherries @ $2.99/lb = $8.28.  The cashier wanted to make sure I knew it was going to be this much. Yep, but I appreciated the heads-up. It's a really good price for one of my favorite fruit so I'm splurging!
      • 1.99 lbs of grapes @ $0.99/lb = $1.97 and I redeemed a $0.25 rebate from Checkout 51 so $1.72
      • They hadn't gotten their order of Tipton Grove Apple Juice ($0.99 a bottle) but it should come in on Friday. It sounds like I'm going back to  Save A Lot AND Publix on Friday!
      • At the register, they had baked goods on 50% clearance, including 2 of my son's favorite caramel nut coffee cakes ($1.50 each) and a box of cinnamon rolls ($1.75) so I grabbed those too.  Until I figure out how to make them fit in the freezer, I'm keeping them in the fridge.
      • So I paid $15.00 OOP but will get $0.25 back from CK51 and I charged it to Discover to get 2% back in Rewards.

      • On my receipt, there is a coupon for a free dozen of eggs with a $10 purchase next week. Woohoo!

    • Computer Repair place:  I decided to drive a few more blocks to ask them about the power jack repair.  The place was busy so I had to wait a little bit but I saw that they sell reconditioned laptops and several of them were HP ProBook models, which is the kind that I have although theirs seemed older.  The attendant, despite it being busy, was extremely nice. He did tell me, however, that they would need to take the laptop completely apart first to get the part number, and then order it and then wait for it to come in. So it would take probably a whole business week (and they would have my laptop in the meantime, aaaaargh) and cost about $129 for parts and labor.  Still cheaper than getting a new laptop.  So I'll need to talk to Greg about it.  They would also clean the inside of all the crumbs, free of charge.  I think there are a lot of crumbs under my keyboard. What can I say? I'm messy. I really don't know what I'll do without my laptop for a whole week though.

    • Eye doctor: Oh yes, I was on a roll. My eye doctor's office is downtown Clermont so I stopped by and made my appointment for my annual check-up.

    • I parked (for free) in a nice shady spot in a public parking lot and decided to walk down Montrose, Clermont's quiet main downtown street. I don't know how the businesses there survive because I never see anyone strolling down Clermont.  I'm barely exaggerating! There were maybe 3 more people walking today and that's 3 more people than I usually see when I go downtown. Anyhoo. I took some pictures that I'm posting under "Field Trip."
My shady parking spot
    • I spotted the Free Little Library!  I'll need to remember to keep a book that I don't want in the car so next time I'm there, I can exchange it for another one!

    • I visited the new-to-me used bookstore/café/comic book store. There were a few people in there, actually, either reading or milling about.  The prices are 50% off the cover price.  I was also tempted into buying something just because I love bookstores and books but I mentally slapped myself just in time: I get my books from the library for FREE.  Sorry, local business owner! I wish you all the success in the world.  Also, that would be one of my dream jobs, although not the comic book store unless it was the kind of comic books that I read when I was young (Astérix, Lucky Luke, Marsupilami, Yoko Tsuno, etc...).

    • South Lake Animal League Thrift Store: since it's downtown, I went inside to browse.  
      • I ended up buying a pooper scooper for the 2nd cat litter box. We already have one that I had bought at Dollar Tree but it's very flimsy and doesn't do the job so my son will be happy to have a sturdy one so he doesn't have to go get the better one from the other side of the house every night (our litter boxes aren't next to one another).  I paid $1.50 for it.  
      • As I left, I noticed a table with some plants that were for sale, so I bought a peace lily for $5.00.  When I picked it up, I realized that it was in a nice ceramic pot, instead of the flimsy plastic landscape pot that I expected!  So my $5 were very well spent, I think!

      • I resisted buying this pet stroller... for $50.  I had been joking with my son via texts earlier today that the cats were bored so I was going to take them on a field trip to Gatorland.  This... would actually allow me to take them "out", lol.  I could take them for walks...  Can you imagine?  LOL.  Still, I was really tempted.  It has cup holders!

  • Back home, I took the 2 cat litter jugs that I had used up this week and filled them with rainwater from the rain barrel.  

  • I also watered several of the potted plants with water from the rain barrel.

  • I dunked my rubber garden shoes in the rain barrel to wash them off the cut-up grass that had accumulated on them when I trimmed the weeds yesterday.

  • I submitted my rebates to Checkout 51 and SavingStar and also submitted the Nestlé manufacturer rebate for the candy.  Chekout 51 credited my account right away. Saving Star will take a few days and the MIR rebate will take a few weeks.

  • I finally had lunch at 3 p.m.!  I decided to eat the bacon cheddar dog from RaceTrac (I'll make an omelet tonight), the rest of the potato salad from last Saturday's Publix Chicken Family Dinner, and some cherries.  I drank one of my CF Diet Cokes and put the other one in the fridge for tonight.

  • I tried earning double Swagbucks via nGage but couldn't (see "Failures") so I used Juno Group videos to earn "regular" SB, which is more than what I usually do these days.  nGage started working tonight.

  • I received a UPS package... it was my daughter's AP Art portfolio. The teacher had to mail it to the evaluator for the exam but they mailed it back to us. Yay!  

  • I received free full-size sample of V-8 and V-8 Energy Drink from

  • The marketing company in charge of mailing me that $100 Publix gift card that I had won replied to my email inquiry and confirmed that my card was being processed and that I should get it within a couple of weeks. Yay!

  • For dinner I made myself an omelet with some of the cubed ham that I had defrosted last week and some of the tomatoes from the garden. I cooked it at 9 p.m. so I didn't bother getting basil from the garden. I also had more cherries.

  • I took a RaceTrac survey and earned a new freebie.

  • I took a Subway survey and received a survey reward code for a free cookie.

  • Thinking about buying a new frying pan from Aldi...

  • Cherries!
  • A peace lily
  • Greg and our son had lunch at KFC... in Kentucky!  Meta.
  • Gas for Greg to drive from NC to OH. Also, they got stuck in a traffic jam for 2 hours so I imagine there was gas waste because of that.

  • I had to resubmit my receipt for the Nestlé candy because their bot said it couldn't read the purchase date. B.S, I can read it just fine! I'd better get that $5 rebate, grrr.  Update #2: they rejected my 2nd submission too. Same reason. Resubmitted a 3rd time.  It's an automated process so there's no one to talk too.  Update #3: they rejected my submission a third time!  But this time, they emailed me an address for me to mail my receipt. So now I have to spend whatever a stamp costs plus an envelope to get the money back. I might not get the other bags on Friday after all!

  • The Swagbucks promo for double SB up to 50 SB when you watch nGage videos isn't working for me AGAIN. This time, I get an error 404 when I try to watch the videos so I can't even earn the basil SB.  Aaargh.  Update: it worked tonight but I don't think I'll have the time to earn the 25 SB needed to get the full 25 SB bonus.

  • Greg texted me at 4:30 p.m. that they had been at a complete standstill for an hour due to a very big accident about a mile away.  They were 2 hours away from his parents' house and on the interstate so there was no way to turn around and find a new route.  On the flip side, he and I texted for a while and then my son and I texted for a while.  I guess we all like texted more than calling on the phone...

  • Fed the cats
  • Cleaned the litter boxes
  • Checked the weekly grocery store sales
  • Paid bill online
  • Replied to blog comments
  • Texted Middle Son to ask him, once again, for Oldest Son's graduation picture for my great aunt. I really don't like having to follow up on requests that my kids have already agreed to!  Next time he needs something, he's going to get a dose of his own medicine.  OK, he rarely ever asks me for anything, but still...  lol. Should I be evil and enroll his GF to nag him about this?  The poor girl will get an early taste of what it means to be a wife. Am I right?  Sigh.
  • Ran errands
  • Talked to daughter via texts
  • Talked to son and then Greg via texts
  • Submitted rebates
  • Washed 2nd litter box and refilled it
  • Watered potted plants
  • Refilled cat litter jugs at rain barrel
  • Rinsed off gardening shoes
  • Input receipts into spreadsheets
  • Brought recycling bin back up the driveway
  • Talked to Youngest Son via texts while he was stuck in traffic
  • Changed AC filters
  • Played with the cats
  • Vacuumed entry room/cat room
  • Straightened out couch cover in cat room
  • Vacuumed breezeway, exercise room, hallway, living room
  • Swept kitchen
  • Talked to my daughter on the phone
  • Fed the cats
  • Cooked my dinner
  • Took customer satisfaction surveys

  • A comfortable bed to sleep in. 
  • Cats who are not demanding and under my feet at all times. Like my kids, I like my cats to be independent.
  • The birds are back!
  • My hibiscus cutting doing so well!  It was free to me and is bringing me much joy and wonder :)
  • That Greg and our son weren't involved in the accident that resulted in a major traffic jam in which they were stuck for 2 hours.  My son took a picture as they finally passed it and it looked like a large SUV had hit a large truck and also been rear-ended... and there was a forward-facing car seat behind the passenger seat that had been pushed all the way back into the car seat... I just hope they got the kid out and he/she was OK and then they had whoever was sitting on the front passenger seat recline while the paramedics worked on him/her....
  • And that Greg and our son got to Greg's parents' house (finally!) safe and sound.
  • For my daughter calling me and chatting for 30 minutes even though she has a lot of work to do and was tired.


8:35 a.m.: Oh, a male cardinal just flew in for breakfast. Yay! I do love watching the birds, even if they're the same ones day in, day out.  A hummingbird came too but Greg called me at the same time so I couldn't take a picture.  However, it (or another one) came back a little while later and I was able to snap one just before it flew away.

The squirrels are out as well.  There must have been an out-of -town Nathalie's Backyard Inhabitants Convention yesterday, or maybe they all went to the beach together (road trip!) but at least some of them are back today. I was even happy to see the squirrels!

Then there was a little flurry of activity at 10 a.m... the birds are back!  OK, I got cardinals and just one mourning dove, but I was so excited to see them!  A squirrel tried to wait its turn but the dove wasn't in a rush...

Meanwhile, my new blue feeder sits there, unused.  I don't think the birds are realizing that it's a feeder. And also the house curled up at the base might look like a snake to them.  I should move it, it just occurred to me. Done!

And then a Carolina wren came to visit. I was hoping it'd go to the blue feeder because I first spotted it near it, but it decided to go perch itself on top of the hummingbird feeder and then the cardinal feeder to serenade me. Then it disappeared in the bird bath!  I wish I could have gotten a picture of it enjoying a bath but it's kind of titled away from me so I couldn't see anything :(

I saw a Great Crested Flycatcher fly around in the neighbor's backyard, maybe it'll come over for brunch later...  Argh. it did come to my backyard but my camera battery decided to die at the exact same moment and I hadn't brought out a fresh one with me. I tried taking a picture with my phone but it was too far away.  Then, when I came back outside after getting a new battery, it was perched on my patio umbrella, but I spooked it by opening the sliding door :(

Meanwhile, the cats...

weren't doing much.
My hibiscus cutting is doing so well... it is covered in new buds.  A couple of days ago, it had several flowers blooming at the same time, which was thrilling for me.

A few swifts were chasing each other over the backyard, and then 3 white ibises came gliding on the breeze. They're so lovely to watch. After all these years in Central Florida, I still feel like I'm on an endless tropical vacation!

10:49 a.m.  A HUGE hawk just came flying through the backyard, just a couple of feet off the ground, and by the time I saw it, it was too late to take a picture!   Oh I am so disappointed, although... I did get to see it! So awesome!

I wasn't really a field trip but I felt like I owed Susan a little outing even though I had decided not to go anywhere today :) So I took advantage of the fact that my eye doctor's office is downtown Clermont to take a short stroll down Montrose Street, which is the main commercial street downtown Clermont. Clermont is the largest town in South Lake County but the downtown area is very tiny. And quiet. I only took a few photos with my phone so my little tour is as exciting as the downtown is!

This is a side view of the new City Hall, downtown Clermont.

Montrose Street. At Christmas they put white lights in the oak trees lining the street and it's very pretty. 

There is a yarn store. One day, if I take up knitting (I do want to learn!), I might visit :)

There are a couple of bikes decorated with knit accessories displayed in the small alley next to the building.

And in front of it, I found the Little Free Library, finally!

There is also a sewing and quilting store. I'd also like to learn to sew, although I have no desire to
quilt at this point. 

The new-to-me (they've been downtown for a year, although in this location for a month, only) bookstore/coffee shop.
I didn't want to take pictures inside because I couldn't be discreet doing it, and I didn't want people
thinking I was taking their picture.

I love the idea of having a bookstore in town, although I borrow all my books from the library or I buy them used on Amazon.
50% off the cover price... isn't that good of a deal for me. But if I need a book one day and don't want to wait for Amazon to ship it, I guess I can come here to look for it.

This isn't a good picture but it's my favorite thrift store: the South Lake Animal League thrift store.
There are 3 or 4 people alllll the way in the background. Those are the only people other than me who were on Montrose this afternoon!
That's it!  After I visited the thrift store I was carrying a heavy pot containing my Peace Lily so I just walked back to my car and then left.


  1. I see Carolina wrens in the winter, but I haven't seen any this summer. Maybe they went to see you.

    1. According to my Florida Birds field guide they are non-migrator and live year-round in Florida.

  2. Well I would say you got a great bargain on your Peace Lily. It is so healthy looking and the ceramic pot alone is worth the money. Look at all those Freebies again. Everything from Publix was free and you got mail samples. If you have to mail in those receipts for rebates, you might as well wait now until Friday when you can mail in ALL of the receipts, after you pick up two more bags.

    Look at you attacking that long To-Do list. You are really rockin' it this week. I am really appreciating the Day Trips. Clermont looks like a great little place. I think most downtown areas these days are quiet because people prefer to shop in the outlying malls. I don't know why. I like quiet downtown areas. The shops seem more specialized and very friendly.

    Great to hear that the boys arrived safely at their destination. Too bad they were stuck on the highway for so long, but I am sure they were entertained as they whiled away their time.

    1. I thought the same thing about mailing the rebates together, but then I wrote a long note complaining about the problems their site had given me and how I had to waste an envelope and a stamp because of their ineptitude so I didn't want to risk NOT getting another $5 back when they decide to retribute!

      The lack of visitors in downtown Clermont is puzzling. Winter Garden and Mount Dora are two more local "small" downtowns that are always crowded with visitors. I'm thinking the local Chamber of Commerce is probably not doing enough to attract visitors. The lake and South Lake Trail are just a block over, there should be plenty of people, no matter what the weather.

      I had to bring the Peace Lily back inside today, apparently it does not like the heat. I have to read up on those.

  3. Ooh, I want one of those pet strollers! I could take Dancer for a stroll around the block in the evenings! LOL. He's probably cower and meow frantically the whole time! But wouldn't the neighborhood dogs have a grand time barking at him! On second thoughts, Dancer might claw his way out of that stroller before I reach the end of my block and that wouldn't do at all!

    Thank you for the tour of the town. It looks so quiet and peaceful. Some nice little shops, too.

    You did well with your grocery shopping and your to do list, both!

    Sorry to hear that Greg and your son were stuck in traffic for 2 hours. Daughter and I were stuck in traffic for 1 hour on our drive up for her graduation and there really isn't much one can do under the circumstances. But they made it safely to their destination and that's what's important, isn't it?

    Hope you have a great day, today. Looking forward to reading about all your accomplishments.

    1. Oh no, why did you have to say that?! Now I have to actually accomplish something, hahaha!

      Yes, you're absolutely right, the important thing is that Greg and our son got there safely. I'm glad I wasn't stuck in traffic with them because I get very anxious and obnoxious when I'm stuck in traffic and I don't know what's going on. I'd rather drive for 2 extra hours than just sit there! Also, I'd probably would have had to pee really badly. Women have the disadvantage in this situation.

  4. You have to eat KFC if you go to Kentucky :-) There's a cat that hangs out at my parents house acting like it's in heat, but it's a boy, so don't know what that's about. Love the animal pics.

    1. I think I read somewhere that cats (both males and female) are in heat every 6 weeks or something ridiculous like that!

      I guess you're right, they couldn't NOT have KFC in KY, especially when my son's absolute favorite meal is fried chicken, lol.

  5. I love nice, quaint downtowns with mom-and-pop type stores and restaurants! That book store/coffee shop would be perfect for me to visit!

    1. I do too! I used to love Park Avenue in Winter Park. 25 years ago it was full of little mom and pop antique stores, fun curio stores, stores where you could buy pantry items from other countries. Now it's all chain stores :(


Anything you'd like to add? Share away!