Monday, July 25, 2016

Day Book: Monday 7/25/16



I typed this at 7:30 am on my phone but I didn't get to post it until now.

Outside my window... I'm on the patio.  The sun is coming up and the birds are waking up. A hummingbird just visited the feeder. The moon is still visible. It's 72F but it feels muggy and warmer than 72F. The backyard is still all shady.



I am thinking... that I need to check with Greg on the status of his dad's transfer to the Rehab Clinic.

I am thankful for... a cool enough morning for me to sit on the patio!

From the learning rooms... Son is volunteering at library in the afternoon.  He is still working on his school summer projects. My daughter still has 2 more weeks of camp. Starting today, they're going to be spent working on a group project.  She now has green hair, according to Instagram. I haven't talked to her in a while, just a quick comment via email or text here and there.  Wouldn't want to be accused of "inserting myself" into someone else's life, you know. Sigh.

From the kitchen... very few dirty dishes since I did them all last night. Yay! Easy dinner tonight (mac'n cheese + wieners, salad). Grape Nuts needs to be processed and baked again. I'm going to make Mexican Chocolate Bread Pudding in the crockpot.

I am wearing... navy short sleeve PJ top and black PJ pants with little white flowers

I am creating... baking goods today. I want to make a "Trespassers will be composted" sign but who knows when this will get done.

I am going... nowhere today unless I decide to get Sodapalooza refills from RaceTrac.

I am reading... "Wicked Prey" by John Sandford on my Kindle.

I am hoping... that I can start sleeping well again! I'm even contemplating using sleeping pills.

I am hearing... birds calling from tree to tree

Around the house... Greg left for work, son is still asleep. Cats too! None of them bothered to get up and clamor for food at  6:45 am so I think they're getting to the summer schedule too!

One of my favorite things... bird feeders!

A few plans for the rest of the week... need to plant the seeds I didn't plant this weekend, do the laundry, fold the one from last week, iron some clothes for Greg. Need to order cat food and schedule 2 of the cats' yearly check-ups.

Here is the picture I am sharing... I saw this on another blog this weekend and had to borrow it, thinking of all of the bloggers I read who are now decluttering :)


I hope you all have a great week.

17 comments:

  1. Ha ha I love that quote!

    I would love to sit on your patio and see a hummingbird, what a delightful start to the morning xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I thought other people who laugh too :) It was a nice way to relax this morning, seeing all the hummingbirds. I sat there until 11:30 a.m., I hadn't done that in 3 weeks or more!

      I hope you have nice weather for your vacation. Do you have a backyard where you could relax in the morning too?

      Delete
  2. Your shared quotation brought a smile to me. I should pin it. It is after one o'clock, and true to my word, I have not done anything yet. Here is my day book entry here http://sues-retirementfunds.blogspot.ca/2016/07/monday-daybook-july-2516.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And as of 3:37 p.m., I hope you STILL haven't done anything. I spent most of the morning watching the birds and reading my library book so I need to be more productive this afternoon... the laundry is screaming at me to fold it!

      I'll be visiting your blog shortly :)

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad it was cool enough for you to sit out in the backyard and watch the birds. Such a lovely, peaceful way to start the day.

    I would say that as long as your daughter is a minor and is living with you, you have every right to "insert" yourself into her life! (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree and she certainly hasn't said anything to me about anything but I'm "gun shy" now, in light of what Oldest Son dumped on my completely out of the blue (and totally unfairly, IMO). She actually turns 18 in a little bit over a month but won't graduate from high school until May 2017 so I'm going to extend the period when I feel that technically I can "insert" myself into her life until she actually stops being supported by us :) I do miss her, but it's going to be weird having her back as I was used to her not living here anymore, lol.

      The morning in the backyard was indeed lovely and I was relieved to find that the birds hadn't flown the coop after all! However, despite being in the shade 100% of the time, my legs and arms are very itchy, which proves that I should always wear sunscreen even when I think that I don't need it.

      Delete
  4. It was nice and cool this morning, wasn't it?! I didn't get to enjoy much of the weather, but I did appreciate that our AC didn't have to kick on until later in the day.

    I can completely relate to that quote. I deliberately didn't give myself parameters like that (some people use the William Morris quote, too) because I'd never get anything done! Haha.

    I finally posted my daybook this afternoon. The morning was a bit hectic. Hope the rest of your day was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is the William Morris quote? You got me all curious now :)

      The rest of my day was more mundane, unfortunately. I'll check your Day Book in a few moments!

      Delete
    2. “Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.” --William Morris

      It's actually a good guiding principle, I think. I just get way too caught up in evaluating qualities of "use" or "beauty" when often the more relevant question for me is -- have I used this item, ever?

      Delete
    3. Thank you. My problem, in that case, is that I think everything could come in handy at some point! I do have things that I have never used, but it doesn't mean that I will never use them... If we were to downsize our home though, I certainly would need to consider getting rid of those before I get rid of other things that I use on a regular basis or even occasionally.

      Delete
  5. Before you try sleeping pills... (and since you didn't ask for advice, feel free to ignore - you know yourself better than anyone else does!). Just sharing what worked for me: I found that if I do some strength training, I sleep like a log. We're talking deep, uninterrupted sleep ALL NIGHT LONG. The nice thing about strength training is you don't need to do it for a long time, like aerobic exercise. And you really don't need a gym or any equipment, just your body. For me, it makes a HUGE difference. It might be different for you, so don't take my word for gospel, but maybe it will spare you from trying sleeping pills.

    And like I said, it's just a thought. Feel free to ignore. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, you're right. Before I try pills I should definitely try exercise again. Even if it IS cardio. I remember sleeping better when i was riding my recumbent bike.

      Now, when you say strength training using only your body, do you mean push-ups, sit-ups, things like that? Also known as the bane of my existence? LOL. Seriously, though, are those the exercises that you meant?

      Delete
    2. I hate sit-ups...never do them. But you could, if you wanted to. Strength training is really anything that uses your muscles against resistance, whether it's a weight or gravity or your own body. Stuff like squats, lunges, planks, push-ups, and (sadly) sit-ups. If you do enough repetitions until you think you HAVE to stop now (and then do just one more), it will build muscle (which burns more calories) and it will make you sleep blissfully.

      I've got the "sleep" part down...now I just need to eat less calories than I burn. It sounds so easy, why can't I do it???

      YouTube has a few good strength training workouts (google Matthew Hagy, he's got some good videos) and Fitness Blender (https://www.fitnessblender.com/) has some strength workouts, too.

      And lest you get the idea that I'm some fitness nut or gym rat...I have to make myself do it every. single. damn. time. And I only do about 30 minutes of strength training a week. Those people who say they just love exercise and going to the gym...they are lying through their teeth. Seriously.

      Delete
    3. I should try to do 5 minutes of strength training a day. I don't think I could muster even 1 sit-up or push-up right now. Maybe if I put a square of chocolate where the movement needs to end?

      Delete
    4. Now that's a great idea (the chocolate thing)!

      Delete
  6. Forgot to say - love the moon pic! I saw it this morning, too, but was rushing off to work and had no time to take a picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I find it infuriating that I was able to take such a good picture of the moon that is millions of miles away, but of the 200+ photos that I took of hummingbirds and other birds today, very few ended up being focused enough to post. And even those that I'm posting aren't crisp at all. At this point I'm thinking it's both operator lack of skill and camera performance :(

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!