Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Domestic Tuesday, Sort Of ~ 7/12/16


I had a weird encounter with a roach in the middle of the night: I felt something bite my underwear underarm so I woke up in a panic and grabbed something and flung it off me and when I turned on the light, there was a roach on it back, panicking. Ewwwwwww!!!!!  So I grabbed my bottle of stain remover that was by the hamper and smashed it. And then went back to sleep. That's how tired I was!

This morning I thought it had been a dream but no... the smashed roach was still there, because I'm not picking up dead roaches in the middle of the night.  Gross, gross gross!

My bladder woke me up about 5 minutes before Greg did, by texting me. It was 5 a.m. in Vancouver but he'd gone to bed at 9 p.m. and he had a conference call at 6 a.m.  So we bantered for a little bit via texts (he's on wifi so it's iMessage, which is free to us) and then I got up.

I felt somewhat guilty of not having done anything yesterday so I figured that I ought to do some chores today and I did a little bit.  First thing first: I put roach traps in the 2 bedrooms upstairs.  Yuck.

My son went to the park to swing in the morning after getting up and feeding the cats, and went to volunteer at the library in the afternoon.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, here is my Neglected To-Do List:

  • Transplant ferns into bare patch in front lawn to make shady planter
  • Caption old pictures that have already been scanned
  • Scan more old pictures
  • Scrub patio pavers with bleach to remove mildew - this might have to wait until the months when it's not quite so hot!
  • Research cone flowers and their care and plant them somewhere 
  • Enter some Coke codes into MCR (next week)
  • Finish painting squirrel sign and assemble it
  • Create spreadsheet to track IRA contributions using ALL our old tax returns - Started but need to do more research.
  • Figure out if we should contribute to regular  or Roth IRAs for 2016 and fund them
  • Fertilize the raspberries
  • Download all May and June photos to my external drive
  • Replace roach traps - well I added roach traps so I think that counts.
  • Research extension cords for generator
  • Call gyneco to make annual appointment
  • Find the cats' rabies licenses
  • Exercise! 
  • Sweep the main stairs
  • Dust
  • Read reply from insurer about son's prescription
  • See if I still have mildew-resistant white paint for bathroom ceiling
  • Declutter linen closet
  • Clean kitchen cabinets
  • Take items to the dump
  • Inventory seeds for Fall plantings
  • Look at what's in the large bin on front porch and declutter
  • Clean out the printer stand, including school paperwork folders
  • Declutter the top of the fridge
  • File the remaining loose recipes that I organized already in appropriate recipe binders
  • Purge filing cabinet
  • Make a lightbox to take better pictures
  • Send email to my French BFF
  • Add new genealogical information to Rootsmagic
  • Get Greg to replace the ceiling tile in the entry room
  • Declutter coat closet/son's closet (shared closet)
  • Schedule credit card payments
  • Write a menu for the week.  
  • Declutter countertop in the breezeway
  • Declutter coffee table
  • Add mulch to the vegetable garden
  • Pull unwanted plants from center "planter" in the backyard, add soil, plant flowers, add edging around it (watch out for large roots that would be in the way). Make planter with other materials if edging doesn't work.
  • Make rice crispy treats
  • Bake triple berry scones
  • Process green beans
  • Research when and how to harvest a pineapple
  • Put some bleach in the heat pump water drain (to prevent build-ups)
  • Divide and repot the aloe plant
  • Do the dishes
  • Fold the laundry
  • Sweep my bedroom
  • Vacuum breezeway
  • Take recycling down for collection tonight - Done
  • Grill pork tenderloin - I'm marinating it, I think I'll grill it tomorrow.
  • Publish blog comments and reply - Done!
  • Schedule credit card payments
  • Add Osmocote plant food to roses and hibiscus
  • Make sun-dried tomatoes with homegrown tomatoes (tomorrow)
  • Make Grape Nuts - Started

FRUGAL SUCCESSES
  • Reused bathwater from Sunday to flush the toilet repeatedly.

  • I left the AC on 76F last night. I got hot in the middle of the night so I turned on my pedestal fan to medium.  It will remain on 76F during the day too.

  • Texted with Greg via iMessage (free). He's in Vancouver, Canada.

  • Brewed free dark roast coffee from Wawa, with cinnamon, for breakfast.

  • Yesterday I defrosted a quart of milk that I had bought on clearance. Good timing since I finished the gallon of whole milk this morning and my son needed milk for his breakfast cereal.

  • Took a quick look at some of the offerings for Prime Day on Amazon and decided that I wasn't in a shopping mood anyway so I didn't buy anything.

  • Making Southwest Chicken Stew in the crockpot for dinner with 2 chicken breasts that I defrosted last week and some canned beans, corn and salsa.  There will be plenty of leftovers since it's just the two of us so I'll probably try to freeze some.

  • Also baking Sun-dried Tomato and Garlic Focaccia (bread machine recipe for the dough but I'll have to bake it in the oven).
I burned it a little...

  • Read one of my library books for a while (I borrowed 3 more e-books last night).

  • Drove the Focus (better gas mileage) to RaceTrac and got 3 free Sodapalooza refills.

  • I received the replacement USB charger cable for my Kindle Fire from Amazon.  In the meantime I had remembered that I had a charger cable for my Kindle Touch so I had been using that.


  • My son rode my bike to the library for his volunteer shift.

  • Washed Greg's bedding in cold/cold, along with a few more items, and set everything to dry outdoors, using one of my new laundry racks from IKEA and the patio furniture.

  • I used the rest of the bottle of mesquite marinade that I had opened last week to marinade the pork tenderloin bought on clearance at SuperTarget a few weeks ago that I had defrosted last week. I'll grill it on the barbecue tonight or tomorrow.

  • I used rosemary and sage from my garden to sprinkle on the focaccia.

  • I unlocked "new" offers in MobiSave. They're not new, they're the exact same as last week's and I won't be using them.  Sigh.


  • I had finished a box of cereal this morning so I rinsed the inner bag and air dried it. I will reuse it as a freezer bag.

  • I harvested a lot of tomatoes, some jalapeƱos and a few strawberries from the garden.  Those of you with huge garden who get bucket after bucket of tomatoes and huge amounts of huge strawberries are probably laughing at me :)  I just glad I don't have MORE tomatoes.  As it is, I had to compost a couple of them this morning and I've decided to dehydrate the rest tomorrow.


  • Target sent us a notice that they're increasing our credit line on our REDcard.  Hmm, on the same day that I decided that I'm pretty much done doing any grocery shopping there because of the way they treat coupon users!  Whatever, Target.

  • Kohl's sent me a 15% discount this time around. 15%?!  Surely, you jest.  Thankfully the good people on Slickdeals have already posted the 30% off code for the next promotion period so I will order the socks for my son online and take advantage for the 30% off. Hopefully there'll be a free shipping code too. ( I have $20 in Kohl's cash to use from Discover Deals).


  • Kellogg's mailed me the coupon for $1.25 that I hadn't been able to print after they emailed it to me to apologized when I complained that they needed to let us know in advance of their scheduled maintenance so we could order our coupons with our rewards in advance.


  • Well I lied about not ordering anything on Prime Day: I saw a deal advertised on Slickdeals for Hanes men socks and I checked it out.  I was able to get a 6-pair pack of men socks for free since after I placed them into my cart, I received a 30% discount for being a Prime member, there was still a little of $2 available from the courtesy credit extended to me for the "purchase" of my new Kindle charger cable and Amazon used my Amazon Chase Reward points for the balance.  So, woohoo and now I have got to think of something else to buy with my Kohl's cash, lol.



  • Also, I lied about not going anywhere (see "Splurges") but we went tonight because I found out it was $6 night at our local movie theater (usually $10.25) AND I got a free popcorn with my reward card.


SPLURGES
  • Water to water the garden and refill the self-watering bins

  • Gas to drive to RaceTrac and back.

  • Electricity to bake the focaccia in the oven.

  • The Complete Series of Seinfeld on DVD. I'd have it on my Amazon wishlist for a while but there was a lightning deal during Prime Day for the version that has all the episodes, documentaries and a few doo-dads too for just $5 more. And after all discounts, points, and credits applied to my order, I paid $45 for it down from $95, so I'm pretty happy.  I told Greg that he could give it to me for my birthday if he wanted, but that's several months away so maybe it'll just be a splurge. After all, I don't think Greg is planning on cancelling that Spotify Premium membership that he promised me he would cancel after his camping trip so I don't feel guilty one bit. I love Seinfeld (well the series because Jerry Seinfeld outside of "Seinfeld"?  Not funny.)


  •  Driving the Expedition to the movie theater because I was worried that I wouldn't recognize the Focus at night, coming out of the theater, lol.

  • $12 for 2 movie tickets (we went to see "The Secret Life of Pets", my son and I, because we'd been waiting for this movie to come out for a year! It wasn't as funny as I thought it would be but it was rated G and the few kids in the audience loved it and we had fun nonetheless) and $9.00 for 2 bottles of water. Which is highway robbery but since we got a free large popcorn, we needed drinks too!


FAILURES
  • My lantana that was coming back to life just last week got fried over the last couple of days :(


  • One of the Sodapalooza cups capsized as I hit the brakes and spilled diet soda all over the passenger seat and footwell again.  Arrgh.  I rinsed the mat with the hose and set it outside to dry.

  • It hasn't rained in several days :(  There was a huge storm over Clermont tonight when we drove to the movies, with very scary lightning too, just behind the movie theater and moving towards our house.  It poured over the movie theater during the movie... but it never rained at our place. Grrr!


  • I  never did read the 2nd Susan Cain book about introverts that I had asked the library to purchase (oops!) and it cannot be renewed at this time so I asked me son to return it for me this afternoon.  I'll have to check it out again when I'm in the mood to read non-fiction.



  • I finally tried to install the low-flow faucet aerators that Duke Energy had sent me in the bathrooms... but I couldn't because our faucets don't take that kind of aerator!  Grrr.
Our faucets take the aerator that are threaded on the INside. Duke Energy sent
me the kind that are threaded on the OUTside. Maybe one day we'll replace the
faucets, though, so I'm keeping them.

  • I couldn't use the low-flow shower head since Greg already installed a new shower head downstairs that he likes and the shower upstairs is the kind that you hold in your hand so that shower head won't work with it.

  • Once again Swagbucks is pissing me off: I completed 2 surveys that weren't credited and for which I didn't get team points either. I emailed them. I'll probably get the SB but not the team points. I don't even know why I bother anymore... Grrrr. "Watch" freezes and won't let me watch all the videos that I need for the credits, and now the "Discover" offers aren't crediting anything either. That's it. I'm done with this.  Mia, enjoy your 40 SB, lol.  Update: they credited me the SB.  I did get team point for ordering stuff from Amazon, I think, so I'm up to 235 team points.

GRATITUDE
  • That we haven't had "brown-outs" even though the electric demand is very high, apparently.  It's super hot.
  • That we weren't drenched by the storms going on near the movie theater before the movie. I would have so disliked to sit in the theater in very wet clothing!


CHORES
  • Collected the trash throughout the house and took the large bin down the driveway for collection.
  • Cooked dinner in the crockpot
  • Baked focaccia
  • Drove to RaceTrac
  • Watered the garden and refilled the self-watering bins
  • Pulled weeds
  • Deadheaded a rose
  • Washed Greg's bedding
  • Ran the dehumidifier in the downstairs bathroom
  • Marinated the tenderloin
  • Made Grape Nuts dough and cooked it (will finish the process tomorrow)
  • Harvested the garden
  • Hammered nails and hanged the new laundry rack in the little shed

As long as the nails hold, we should be OK!

  • Brought the laundry back inside
  • Brought the trashcan back up the hill
  • Put away energy efficient supplies
  • Went to the movies with Youngest Son!
  • Took the recycling down the driveway for tomorrow's early morning collection

NATURE
It's too hot for the wildlife and humans alike, I think!  I did spot and scare off a squirrel that was enjoyed the seeds from the cardinal feeder this morning when I first got up, and I spotted a mourning dove in my front yard as I left to go to RaceTrac. Otherwise, it's all lizards, all the time.

I refilled the bird bath so at least there is a source of water (although we live a block away from 2 lakes so it's not like the birds don't have a place to drink!). I also added some water to the small bin where my largest tadpoles are growing. The large bin where the tiny tadpoles are has plenty of water and hopefully they're eating any mosquito larva as we had our first case of Zika in our county reported last week (they think the person contracted it in Puerto Rico, though).

Sorry, no pictures, though.

What was the last movie you saw in theaters?  Do you enjoy going to the movies or would you rather watch movies at home?


12 comments:

  1. That's an alarming roach story. It's hard to be startled by anything at night let alone a roach. Was this a tree roach/palmetto bug? Those things can live forever. We had them all the time when we lived in New Orleans. Once one was crawling across the floor and I took a shoe and smashed it. Several days later I picked up the shoe and the roach crawled off. I know when I smashed it I heard a crunch and saw some insides oozing out. Like, I said, they are one tough bug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of the larger Asian cockroaches, I think. Not a full-size Palmetto bug but pretty large nonetheless. Ugh. I had read in some news story about kids being removed from a home and being "covered in roach bites" and I thought it had to be a typo. Who knew roaches bite? But they do and it was painful enough to wake me up!

      Yep, those things are usually almost indestructible. I usually try to at least sever the head from the body before I pick them up. The cats will play with Palmetto bugs, and they flip themselves on their backs so they look dead but then they come back to life when you think they're dead and go to pick them up. So I usually squish them with a shoe first. Yuck. But I don't want to spray chemicals in the house so we have to live with it. You can't escape them in the hot, humid South, as you well know.

      Delete
    2. Ah shoot, I just realized that I typed "underwear" in my post instead of "underarm". LOL. I did find a roach in my underwear once but it was before I put it on.

      Delete
  2. I want to see The Secret Life of Pets. I'm anticipating being disappointed though. Movies o get excited about never seems to be as good when I watch them. The last thing I saw in theaters was Jurassic World with &$%*. I like movies at home better. Much more comfortable. And cheaper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. All the funny stuff from the trailer is shown before the opening credits even start. Then it's... OK. The little kids in the audience loved it. My son and I loved the way they characterized the various cats because it was so true. The voice talent was horrible. The story didn't really make much sense, IMO and the script wasn't good at all. So it was fun but yeah, $12 for tickets and another $8 for water (that one reaaaally hurt!), I guess we should have waited for the DVD release. At least the theater was mostly empty (we went to the 8 p.m. show) and no one was obnoxious with their phone or anything. Plus it was one of 3 things that my son and I had said we would like to do together this summer when I didn't expect him to want to do ANYTHING so at least we got to do one. The other two are going tubing down Ichetuknee Springs North of Gainesville. You have to be there right at they open in the summer because it's very popular and they only let so many people tube down the springs every day. It's a 2.5 hour drive from our house so knowing my son and me... we'll probably skip that one, actually. The 3rd one is going back to Medieval Times in Kissimmee. We went several years ago and he loved it. It's a dinner show. I have a coupon for it so I ought to make a reservation because there's only 1 month left of summer vacation for us.

      Delete
  3. Homemade focaccia with your own rosemary and sage from the garden. Hmmmm. How perfect. And you have picked so much from your garden, I almost missed that they were in front of your produce stand.

    Seriously, I cannot remember the last time I went to the movies. It was years before I retired. I am such a stick-in-the-mud. I can't understand why anyone (especially me) would want to pay money to see a movie when there is all kinds of entertainment on the TV or DVD player. The last movie that remotely interested me was "The King's Speech", but I thought I would wait until it came out on DVD. I still have not seen it.

    Those clouds looked very menacing. Right now it is overcast and very muggy out. I don't know if it is planning to rain or if it is just that hazy. I will be leaving in a couple of minutes to take my girlfriend to an appointment and some shopping again. My hair is still not dried from this morning's shower. But I got some pasta boiled this morning to make a ham and cheese pasta salad for tonight. I won't feel like cooking later on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's 10 a.m. and you've already done all of that?! Sigh. I have made coffee. That's it. We have tons of leftovers from the crockpot dinner from last night so I don't have to cook, yay!

      I couldn't sleep last night, didn't fall asleep until after 4:30 a.m. and then Greg texted me at 8:45 a.m. So I'm going to drag all day... no grocery shopping for me. I think I'll just read books and watch TV.

      Oh, wait... I just remembered that I made my bed because I read your comment on Laura's blog about making your bed so I figured I should make mine before I left the bedroom or it might not get made today!

      Have fun on your errands. It's bright and sunny here and I'm sure hot and muggy. I should go water the garden but I think I'll let the plants suffer today.

      PS: I haven't seen the King's Speech either. It's one of those movies that I think "Oh, one day when I'm in the mood" but then I'm never in the mood. I have something like 200 movies/shows in my Netflix queue that at some point I thought I'd want to watch... most of the time I tell Greg "There's nothing to watch on Netflix!". I could have definitely waited for The Secret Life of Pets to come out on DVD (that's what I'll do with Finding Dory since I never found anyone to go see it with me last month!) but for once my son was excited to go see a movie and we had a common interest in it. My enjoyment of the movie was mostly being able to share the funny moments with him as we elbowed each other every time the fat cat character was on the screen because she reminded us soooooo much of Mean Kitty (our older female cat), it was uncanny. So we laughed over that and that was fun and in the spirit of making memories with my kids, well worth the $20. Although I'm still sore over the $8 in water. EIGHT dollars! And I'm never comfortable in movie theaters. It was also fun hearing very little kids giggle at all the silly poop jokes (it was a G rated movie) and at the animals on the screen. Usually kids annoy the crap out of me (yes, I know, I'm grumpy!) but yesterday they were cute and not annoying at all. Maybe it's because I was in my mom personna too :)

      Delete
    2. Wait... it was NINE dollars for the water, not eight. Good grief!

      Delete
  4. Your post made me laugh twice this morning. Once when the roach bit your underwear (ha, ha), and when your bladder woke you up by texting you. Or that is how it sounded to me. *snort*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, I did word this wrong, didn't I? LOL. All I need is my bladder tweeting me!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you were quite productive! You baked, cooked, did laundry, harvested, etc. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was, actually! This whole week I was productive one day, did nothing the next. I was super tired today because I stayed up most of the night, but I ended up being pretty productive too. I hope you had a great day, Bless.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!