Wednesday, July 13, 2016

I'm Not Lazy, Just Productivity Challenged ~ Wednesday 7/13/16

That would be me today, if I were a man :)

After we got home from the movies last night, I rented "Specter", the latest Bond movie, on Amazon. It was on sale for $0.99 for the HD version and I had a $1.00 credit so it was free to me. I wasn't very tired so I decided to start watching it right away.  I should have read the reviews first because it was pretty horrible.  I usually like Daniel Craig for eye candy but the guy is getting old and it shows, so that wasn't particularly enjoyable either. The French actress who played the love interest was terrible. I fell asleep after a while and didn't even care to rewind the movie to see what I had missed when I woke up.

I texted with my daughter during part of it (the actor who plays Moriarty in Sherlock, Andrew Scott, was in the movie too and she loves Moriarty on Sherlock, plus I had to trick her into reading my story about my roach encounter the night prior, eh eh eh).  She shared a video of a snake robot that some Adobe big wig had built and demo'ed for them at camp. I'm not sure if it's for public consumption so I won't post it but... oooh, creepy. She said there were spider robots too. She hates spiders so I thought she would have freaked out but she said they were 2 ft across so for some reason she wasn't as afraid of them as she is a tiny real-life spider.

Anyhoo, I went to bed but I was tossing and turning and couldn't get to sleep until after 4:30 a.m.  I even turned down the AC to 75F, thinking that maybe I was hot, but that wasn't it; I don't know what it was.  Greg woke me up at 8:45 a.m. by texting me. He had a short business dinner last night and then took a 5-mile walk. He said it was 60F.  Tonight he's having dinner with The Big Boss. I told him that The Big Boss was probably going to wonder why he didn't bring his wife with him, lol.

So, plans for today?  Well, I plan on doing nothing. Err, not much. I'm not going grocery shopping.  We'll see if I even go to RaceTrac.  I need to dehydrate all my tomatoes but I haven't cut them up yet. It's 10:45 a.m. and I'm still in my PJs.  My son is planning on attending the Teen programming at our local library later on this afternoon but for now he's still asleep.

I saw a blurb on the high school's website that freshman orientation is scheduled for August 8.  School starts August 10.  It somehow escaped my consciousness, all those times that I was saying that school starts in a month, that it means that I'll need to start waking up earlier too, shower and get dressed, and will have to fight the freaking crazy drivers (teens but especially parents because parents are the bigger morons) to drive him to school every morning since my daughter will only be attending state college this year.  Ugh. There is only one road leading in and out of the high school and traffic is an absolute mess.  The people who bought houses in the subdivisions bordering the road without trying to drive at school drop-off and pick-up times are probably kicking themselves.  Greg says we should let him take the bus since we're paying for it with our tax dollars. Well, he has a point, and the bus picks up right at the corner of our street, but he's my baby!  At the same time, I'm looking at a year and a half of daily drop off and pick up drives in that madness and that's assuming that he gets his driver's license right as he turns 16 and that we have a car for him to drive at that point.  He's had a pretty easy life so far so I might well tell him to ride the bus in the mornings and only pick him up when he has after school activities.  Hmmm...

My daughter was interviewed by KCBS San Francisco today, along with another camp mate and a camp facilitator!  The interview should air tomorrow and might even get posted on their website. I asked my daughter what she was asked and she said she didn't remember (I guess she was frazzled!) but that she spoke every eloquently, lol.  I've contacted the reporter via Twitter to find out when exactly it will air.  Exciting stuff!

I think one of the main writers of Lifehacker reads my blog to get ideas for his own posts... what do you think, Susan? "Calling Yourself Lazy Is Not a Good Excuse for a Productivity Problem". The bastard. It's plagiarism, that's what it is. Who's the lazy one now?  lol.  I think that instead of calling myself lazy, I'll start calling myself "productivity-challenged".  I wonder if that can count as a disability? Oooh, that would be another good name for a blog.

And, as a segue, here is the To Do List That Shall Not Be Fulfilled Today:

  • Transplant ferns into bare patch in front lawn to make shady planter
  • Caption old pictures that have already been scanned
  • Scan more old pictures
  • Scrub patio pavers with bleach to remove mildew - this might have to wait until the months when it's not quite so hot!
  • Research cone flowers and their care and plant them somewhere 
  • Enter some Coke codes into MCR (next week)
  • Finish painting squirrel sign and assemble it
  • Create spreadsheet to track IRA contributions using ALL our old tax returns - Started but need to do more research.
  • Figure out if we should contribute to regular  or Roth IRAs for 2016 and fund them
  • Fertilize the raspberries
  • Download all May and June photos to my external drive
  • Research extension cords for generator
  • Call gyneco to make annual appointment
  • Find the cats' rabies licenses
  • Exercise! 
  • Sweep the main stairs
  • Dust
  • Read reply from insurer about son's prescription
  • See if I still have mildew-resistant white paint for bathroom ceiling
  • Declutter linen closet
  • Clean kitchen cabinets
  • Take items to the dump
  • Inventory seeds for Fall plantings
  • Look at what's in the large bin on front porch and declutter
  • Clean out the printer stand, including school paperwork folders
  • Declutter the top of the fridge
  • File the remaining loose recipes that I organized already in appropriate recipe binders
  • Purge filing cabinet
  • Make a lightbox to take better pictures
  • Send email to my French BFF
  • Add new genealogical information to Rootsmagic - Done
  • Get Greg to replace the ceiling tile in the entry room
  • Declutter coat closet/son's closet (shared closet)
  • Schedule credit card payments
  • Write a menu for the week.  
  • Declutter countertop in the breezeway
  • Declutter coffee table
  • Add mulch to the vegetable garden
  • Pull unwanted plants from center "planter" in the backyard, add soil, plant flowers, add edging around it (watch out for large roots that would be in the way). Make planter with other materials if edging doesn't work.
  • Make rice crispy treats
  • Bake triple berry scones
  • Process green beans
  • Research when and how to harvest a pineapple
  • Put some bleach in the heat pump water drain (to prevent build-ups)
  • Divide and repot the aloe plant
  • Do the dishes
  • Fold the laundry
  • Sweep my bedroom
  • Vacuum breezeway
  • Grill pork tenderloin - I'm marinating it, I think I'll grill it tomorrow.
  • Schedule credit card payments
  • Add Osmocote plant food to roses and hibiscus
  • Make sun-dried tomatoes with homegrown tomatoes (tomorrow)
  • Finish making Grape Nuts - Started
  • Start new tomato and green pepper seeds
Ahem: today was Florida Slug Day (I made that up) and I did NOTHING.  I'll make up for it tomorrow.

FRUGAL SUCCESSES
  • Texted with Greg for free (iMessage).

  • I turned the AC back up to 76F when I got up.

  • Brewed free dark roast coffee from Wawa for breakfast. I can't wait until that batch is all gone because it's really too acidic for me.  I toasted an English Muffin that I had bought on 50% clearance at Save A Lot last week.  I also had a piece of focaccia because I love bread :)


  • Late last night I was able to rent "Specter" for free. Kind of a waste of a $0.99 credit, the reviews on IMDB were horrible and well deserved. At least I didn't pay for it OOP.


  • I earned the daily Bing Rewards credits and a few Swagbucks. I was able to reach and surpass the 300 team points needed for the 20 SB Swag-up rebate (my team is still losing) although I'd have to buy a gift card by 7/31.  I really don't think I'll reach the 2500 SB needed for a $25 gift card before then so I'll have to decide if I want to purchase a cheaper gift card or wait and forfeit the Swag up.


  • Trying to resist the offer of BOGO kittens today.  Also: purritos?!  snort.  I'm really trying to resist because of my to-do items is take items to the dump and the dump is on the way to the mall where that adoption event is taking place.  So I could knock something off my list AND my son and I could go look at adorable kittens that are on BOGO sale and need to be woved?  I need to become allergic to the word "kittens".

  • I checked the new Aldi and Save A Lot ads online this morning before even getting out of bed (I thought that maybe they'd spur me into action if there were great deals) but I'm not really interested in any of them. Well, I'm lying, I'm always interested in $0.99/lb chicken breasts, but I have no room for them so that's a moot point.
Aldi

Save A Lot

  • Nice try, McDonald's!  I'm still not going anywhere today. Nope, not going to do it. Unless I decide to go get a couple of kittens.


  • Sometimes I wonder why I input people's genealogical information into my database when they are only very remotely related to Greg. But then, one day, I find out that they married someone much more closely related to him and it's awesome because I already have their whole family history, etc.  Today was one of such days :)  I spent the whole afternoon inputting genealogical information that I found for free online. Say what you want about the Mormons, but as a genealogy enthusiast, I love that they have been so thorough with documenting their past.  It's not unusual to find first person accounts of pioneers' childhood and experiences.  Even though I'm personally not related by blood, I still find it fascinating.  I've written up part of my own childhood for my kids so if they're interested one day they can read about it, and I should go back and add to it.  An hour or so later... I checked on what I had written so far and I had already forgotten so much about it!  And this is stuff I wrote about in 2014.  I really need to go back and polish it and add some more.  I do have several things from the kids' childhoods: I wrote to them in books (sporadically) and for a few years after their dad and I separated, we would email each other every day with the details of the kids' day since we shared custody 50/50 so the kids were changing households several times a week, sometimes.  But all of that needs to be synthesized into just one coherent narrative.  Yet another project to work on!

  • Drove the Focus to RaceTrac and Publix (better gas mileage) with my son.  

  • We refilled our three Sodapalooza cups for free.

  • I decided to buy bread and 1/2 a gallon of whole milk at Publix so I don't have to drive to Clermont and go grocery shopping tomorrow. The bread was more than $1 over what I would pay at Aldi and 1/2 a gallon of milk cost more than a whole gallon of the same stuff at Aldi.  BUT: I really didn't need anything else so that's saving me a trip, gas, and from buying a bunch of stuff that we can do without. I have got to use what we already have.


  • Greg is reporting that he has been very careful of only texting when he's on wi-fi so hopefully we won't get hit by texting charges. He also turned off his data roaming.


  • My calendar reminded me that it's time to start the fall seedlings of tomatoes and green peppers.  Whaaaaat?  Arrgh.

  • I started watching a new French series on Netflix entitled "A Very Secret Service". It didn't look like much at the very beginning because I hadn't understood that it was a comedy. But it's very funny because it makes a lot of fun of French bureaucracy.  I love it! There are 12 short episodes so I think I know what I'm doing for the next 6 hours...



SPLURGES
  • I turned the AC down to 75F last night because I thought that I couldn't sleep because I was hot.

  • I think that a couple of texts that Greg and I exchanged last night when I told him we were going to the movies weren't iMessage texts so we'll be charged 50 cents for each.

  • I took an hour-long bath.  The water was tepid because it felt warm upstairs. I kept the bath water to flush the toilet over the next couple of days.  I meant to read a book while I was taking a bath but my book is boring me so I got suckered into playing "Tasty Tale" a free game app that I had downloaded on my Kindle with food items that look really yummy. It was mindless fun, exactly what I needed on a day when my brain isn't functioning quite right.

FAILURES
  • My kitchen is a mess, I don't feel like cleaning up and I had leftovers for lunch already. So we went to Publix, got a sub for my son and sushi for me (way too expensive but so yummy!).  I decided to keep my gift card for another trip and I just paid with Amex (3% back in Rewards).



CHORES
  • Texted with Greg
  • Made my bed
  • Wiped cat bile off the kitchen tiles (what is going on at night?!)
  • Ran the dehumidifier in the downstairs bathroom
  • Worked on genealogy most of the day
  • Went to get dinner with my son 


GRATITUDE
  • For being able not to do anything if I don't feel like it.
  • For Bath & Body Works 3-wick candles because my Beach Grass candle is smelling really good.

13 comments:

  1. "Productivity Challenged". I like it. But you know very well that it does not apply to you. Most of the time you are generally a "whirlwind of productivity". Right now you are in the eye of the storm where everything is calm. But we know it is short lived and soon the activity will start up again and those chores accomplished will be as long as my right arm. That is just how you roll.

    Besides it's too hot to want to do anything, and Greg didn't want to take you to Vancouver with him. Under those circumstances, who would want to do anything? *laugh* So Greg (if you are reading this), it is all your fault. And Nathalie, you know I am just teasing you?

    I hope you get to listen to the interview that your daughter did. I am sure she was VERY eloquent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're teasing, but you're absolutely right, I think. I've been very self-indulgent this week and I always like to blame Greg for that, lol. He doesn't read the blog (or so he says).

      It was a bit of a hassle to find out the time of the broadcast from the reporter and in the end, he doesn't really know because he just provides the content but he's not the on-air talent. So I'm going to have to try to tune in after 3 p.m. since he said it would be broadcast "in the afternoon).

      Delete
  2. Laughing because I am on the hot dog team and I was confused by the expiring by 7/31 because I already spent the money for the month on the discounted gift card so I wasn't planning on buying another one by the end of the month unless there is something on sale again...like the amazon one that I was thinking about buying and didn't because I didn't have enough to get more then the $10 so I didn't know if it was a waste. Oh well, our hot dog team is going to fail so I don't think those 20 points are anything to write home about!! :(

    My goodness your school starts early!!!! We don't go back until after labor day this year and they just passed that we are going to start before labor day next year but certainly not the beginning of August. That seems extra early!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogger ate my comment, it's ticking me off these days! Yes, we had a shorter summer this year because we're going back to the "old" school calendar which allowed us to finish the 1st semester before Christmas and allowed for an extra week of teaching before the state exams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frequently get my comments eaten too!! YUCK!! That is probably why we are changing next year too because of testing and all those things but I guess we will see.

      Delete
  4. I like the term "productivity challenged"! But you are not productivity challenged at all, because you are quite productive even when you say you aren't!

    How exciting to have your daughter interviewed on TV! Hope you got to watch it and maybe even record it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually was for their talk radio. I tried and tried to catch the interview today but they wouldn't give me a specific time and I was never able to hear it. My ex had the same problem. Ugh. Oh well!

      Delete
  5. I believe my comment last night on your previous post got eaten, too... Grrr.

    That is so cool, your daughter getting interviewed for a TV station. You must be so proud!

    Mangoes for 49 cents - wow! Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something's definitely not right with Blogger! She actually was interviewed for their talk radio channel. She was pretty excited about it even though she couldn't remember what they had asked her to talk about, lol. I tried catching the broadcast via Tune-In today but the reporter didn't know exactly when it would air ("Thursday afternoon") and I wasn't going to listen to talk radio nonsense all afternoon (that might make me a bad mom...) so I missed it. Maybe the Girls Who Code people will get a copy of it. I'll have to ask them. The reporter himself was kind of a dick (pardon my French) when I contacted him via Twitter. People who are in the business of disseminating information should be REQUIRED to be great communicators, IMO.

      Delete
  6. I'm with Greg. Your son can ride the school bus unless there's a problem. My kids road the bus in high school and they said everyone just slept the whole way. They liked the extra time for a nap. But you knows what works best for you and your family.

    I hope sleep comes more easily tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our older kids rode the bus for several years. The other kids didn't sleep but talked about how much drugs they had done the night before and other crap like that. One day they'd finally had it and I'd had it with hearing about it so I started driving them in the mornings. I pretty much had to pick them up in the afternoons because they were all involved into various after-school sports and clubs.

      Traffic around the high school and horrible drivers aside, I liked driving them because during the high school years the kids got very busy and I didn't see them as much. The drive to and from school allowed me to check in with them much more easily as they were a captive audience so to speak, lol.

      The school is only 5 minutes from here so it's not like it's a huge expense. It's more of an inconvenience in light of how long I get stuck trying to get out of the drop-off area as the parents decide to drop off their kids pretty much anywhere they feel like and the juniors try to access the Junior Parking lot, which is located just a few yard away from the drop off exit. It's quite dangerous, actually. I've already warned my son that he'll be among the first dropped off and the last picked up so I minimize how much time I have to stand in various lines and how much danger I put myself in :)

      Delete
  7. Nathalie...just thinking of you and praying for your homeland. The world grieves with France.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theresa, thanks for your thoughts. I just read the news myself about an hour ago. Nice is just 2 hours away from Marseille. where the oldest of my two brothers lives. I was thinking this morning about all the festivities for Bastille Day and really hoping that nothing would happen. What a f**d up world we live in.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!