Saturday, July 23, 2016

Lazy Weekend ~ Saturday 7/23/16



I stayed up a while last night, reading a new library book on my Kindle while smooth jazz was playing softly in the background... and I fell asleep on the couch. I woke myself up a little bit later so I dragged myself to bed and, as is often the case, I was wide awake by the time I made it up the stairs, Grrr. So I read a little bit more in bed.  I think I fell asleep between 1:30 and 2:00 a.m. I had a restless night, tossing and turning and not able to get comfortable. I wasn't hot because the AC has been on 75F and I had the fan blowing too, I just couldn't get comfortable.  Funny how sometimes I sleep like a log and sometimes I just can't reach that deep sleep state.  What's not so funny is that poor sleep quality really make me cranky.  I finally must have dozed off in the early hours of the morning.

Greg had planned on going fishing but he slept through the time when he should have gone up.  I had asked him not to use the upstairs toilet until I can run the auger through it but the infuriating man declared that there was no way he was walking down the stairs in the middle of the night to use the bathroom (seriously, I wanted to strangle him when he said that!) so of course he used the upstairs bathroom this morning, which woke me up since the bathroom shares a wall with my bedroom AND the annoyance at him using a toilet that was about to overflow really woke me up  and then New Kitty started meowing and demanding breakfast downstairs and I could hear it through all my annoyance, and so I was very cranky when I finally got up.  By that time our son had gotten up and fed the cats, and Greg was coming back up the stairs to get something in his bedroom. We met on the landing and he asked me if I had slept well. Oh, buster.  I barked "NO!" so he laughed and took me in his arms and asked what the matter was, to which I replied the universal womanly reply of "Nothing".  So he laughed some more and asked if he had woken me up by using the bathroom earlier and I said "Yes" and really wanted to knee him when he laughed some more. But he apologizes and kept on holding me and rubbing my back so I started feeling less cranky. I now realize he was using the "purrito" method that we had read about in the article about taming feral cats recently, I had suggested to him he should do that when I was cranky.  Oh, he did it! and it worked!

He announced that, since he had missed fishing, he was going to mow the backyard before it got too hot.  It's not supposed to get as hot as in the midwest officially, but with the humidity our temperatures are indeed much hotter than the official reading.  We don't have any rain in the forecast either, grrr.

So he mowed the lawn.  I brewed my coffee and caught up on the news and blogs.

It's going to be a quiet day at home today, I think.  I anticipate doing a lot of reading.  We'll watch the latest episode of The Great British Baking Show tonight after dinner so I might fold the laundry while doing that.  I would like to get my tomato and pepper seeds planted and generally look at what other crops I might want to grow this "winter". Lettuce but I'll plant that outdoors and it'll have to wait until probably November or December.  I want to grow Kentucky Blue pole beans.  I always say "and that's IT!" but then I get overexcited about planting and sow more seeds even though I haven't been successful with anything else, really.  Greg might go fishing in the early evening. Our son has school work to do and will go to the park to use the swings a couple of times and log in some steps for his health & fitness class.

To Do List:
  • Transplant ferns into bare patch in front lawn to make shady planter
  • Caption old pictures that have already been scanned
  • Scan more old pictures
  • Scrub patio pavers with bleach to remove mildew - this might have to wait until the months when it's not quite so hot!
  • Research cone flowers and their care and plant them somewhere 
  • Finish painting squirrel sign and assemble it
  • Create spreadsheet to track IRA contributions using ALL our old tax returns - Started but need to do more research.
  • Figure out if we should contribute to regular  or Roth IRAs for 2016 and fund them - I guess I need to wait until tax time next year, actually. I'll have until April 15, 2017 to fund 2016 IRAs so I need to work on taxes way sooner than I did this year so I'd have time to fund the IRAs and THEN file my taxes.
  • Fertilize the raspberries
  • Download all May and June photos to my external drive
  • Call gyneco to make annual appointment
  • Find the cats' rabies licenses
  • Schedule older cats' vet appointment
  • Order cat food
  • Dust the entry room, breezeway, bedrooms
  • Read reply from insurer about son's prescription
  • See if I still have mildew-resistant white paint for bathroom ceiling
  • Declutter linen closet
  • Clean kitchen cabinets
  • Take items to the dump
  • Inventory seeds for Fall plantings - Done
  • Look at what's in the large bin on front porch and declutter
  • Clean out the printer stand, including school paperwork folders
  • Declutter the top of the fridge
  • File the remaining loose recipes that I organized already in appropriate recipe binders
  • Purge filing cabinet
  • Make a lightbox to take better pictures
  • Send email to my French BFF
  • Get Greg to replace the ceiling tile in the entry room
  • Declutter coat closet/son's closet (shared closet)
  • Write a menu for next week.
  • Add mulch to the vegetable garden
  • Pull unwanted plants from center "planter" in the backyard, add soil, plant flowers, add edging around it (watch out for large roots that would be in the way). Make planter with other materials if edging doesn't work.
  • Make rice crispy treats
  • Divide and repot the aloe plant
  • Add Osmocote plant food to roses and hibiscus - Done
  • Start new tomato and green pepper seeds - brought all the supplies indoor.  Will start those in tomorrow, along with broccoli, and plant more okra.
  • Write new letter to great grand aunt
  • Iron
  • Mend items in mending basket (add Greg's hat)
  • Declutter exercise room (including storage bench)
  • Melt down old candles and make into one or two new candles
  • Scrub toilets
  • Wipe down bathroom sinks
  • Make "No Soliciting" sign for front door
  • Bake strawberry cake - Done
  • Process cherries (make clafoutis?)
  • Fold laundry and put it away
  • Clip coupons and sort them
  • Move TV back from my bedroom to entry room
  • Pour some Drano in kitchen sink

The latest news on Greg's dad is that there is a spot open for the rehab clinic on Monday so he'll be transferred there and will stay 2 weeks.  The doctors haven't made a decision about having him undergo radiation yet.  They are still waiting to get the results back of his catscan (chest and liver).

FRUGAL SUCCESSES
  • I brewed a pot of of free coffee from Wawa (I had won it).

  • Greg drank the 2nd Sodapalooza refill that I had gotten him yesterday afternoon. I had put it in the fridge for him so it was still somewhat bubbly and nice and cold.

  • McDonald's sent me notification of a new app coupon for a free vanilla cone, today only, no purchase required!  I showed it to Greg but he's going back on his diet so he said he didn't want it.  I'd have to take our son with me if I go anywhere so he can have the cone. I don't plan on going anywhere for now.


  • We are out of baked goods and the strawberries that I had bought from Aldi this week didn't look great so I baked a Strawberry Summer Cake with most of one of the containers. I used margarine instead of butter, reused the wrapper for greasing the cake pan.  We'll see if Mr. "I'm on a Diet!" resists it :)   That's my revenge for him using the toilet that I had asked him not to use. Yes, I can be sneaky too.
It doesn't look like much but it's very easy to make and delicious.
  • I earned a few Swagbucks. I noticed that my SB total seemed higher than I expected it to be so I checked my ledger and found out that a couple of Shop & Earn trips had been credited, along with some coupon redemptions. If I could earn 600 SB or so in the next few week , I could order another $25 GC for the month of August.

  • Greg mowed our backyard.

  • Greg drove to RaceTrac and got us all free Sodapalooza refills.

  • I earned the daily Bing Rewards credits. 

  • For lunch Greg ate one of the bratwursts left over from last night (the package contained 5 bratwursts) and I had the other with the rest of the mashed potatoes and grilled zucchini.  I doused the brat in hot sauce too :)  Our son will make himself a sandwich after he's done playing online with his friends.

  • After lunch, I went to take an hour-long bath with my library book. I wash my hair and rinse it with the bath water and ditto when I shave. Since I'm pleasantly plump, I don't need to fill the bathtub as much as a thinner person would (possibly the only advantage of being fat, on top of the lack of wrinkles on my face!).  

  • I once again used some conditioner from the sample bottle that my daughter had thrown away.  This is the 2nd use I get out of it by turning it upside down and leaving it like this. I think I might be able to get a 3rd use out of it before I actually have to recycle the bottle.

  • After my bath, I decided to go ahead and refill the rain barrel with the water but to be careful not to overwork my shoulders. I did 4 trips but instead of refilling the barrel (see "Failures"), I just watered the potted plants directly with the water.  I'll have to make sure to only take baths on days when it hasn't rained in a while from now on, apparently.  But this was a triple whammy:
    • I reused water
    • Saved money by not having to pay to water my plants
    • I got free exercise in the process!


  • Greg went fishing.  I see that he stopped by Ace Hardware and spent $20. Probably on a new hat (grr!) and plastic worms.  He did charge it to Discover so we'll get 5% back in Rewards and we also earned some Ace Rewards points. I still plan on mending his old one.

  • Our son took a walk.  While he was gone, I noticed that he was doing the laundry and had loaded the dryer. I checked to make sure that he had followed my new directions on using the "Auto Moisture Sensing" setting and he had :)  Later on I asked him whether he had been using that setting all along and he said that it was the ONLY setting he ever used. Good boy!

  • For snack, we each had a piece of strawberry cake with whipped cream on top. Yum!

  • I returned the library e-book that I finished earlier today so as to clear my Kindle and let someone else borrow it if they wanted it.


  • I uploaded an American Express offer for $10 off $50 at Olive Garden to our individuals cards. We probably won't redeem it, but just in case... very few of the American Express offers are ever applicable to us.

  • I offered to take my son to McDonald's to take advantage of the free vanilla cone offer (McDonald's is less than a mile away from the house) so we did. There was no line at the drive-thru so it went very fast.  We drove the Focus for better mileage.

  • Then we drove to RaceTrac to get 3 free Sodapalooza refills (one for Greg, one for me and one for our son).  We must have just missed Greg because he was home when we got home and he had just left RaceTrac himself (he had brought his cup along on his fishing trip and stopped to get a free refill before and after fishing).

  • Greg caught a bass. It wasn't very big and he had meant to throw it back, but the hook was stuck next to its eye so well that he would have had to break the fish's jaw to get it out so he kept the fish (might as well). He filleted it and will grill it for lunch tomorrow since we're having burgers tonight.

  • I inventoried my seeds, sorted them, composting old ones and made a loose plan for winter planting.


  • Then I decided to go do some gardening. It was in the high 90s but there was a cloud cover (at about 5 p.m.) so it wasn't too bad.  
    • I refilled the self-watering bins and watered the pineapples and other in-ground plants
    • Pulled weeds
    • Pulled the dead lettuce stalks but spread the seed pods in the bins so I hope they'll regrow
    • Fed Osmocote plant food to my roses and hibiscus
    • Mixed more all-natural weed killer
    • Poured some on the weeds in between the patio pavers and on the vine growing near the air conditioner
    • Harvested the last few tomatoes and 2 eggplants

  • Since I was outside, I went ahead and grilled the burgers and corn on the cob for dinner. 


  • I also made a side salad with a heart of Romaine, some cucumber and avocado and a few homegrown tomatoes. 


  • I also mixed a batch of Maille salad dressing (with grain mustard from Aldi!).

  • Greg and I ate dinner while watching a (free, see "Failures") episode of the Great British Baking Show.  I am now craving cheesecake very badly!

  • The UF vegetable planting chart says to start tomatoes and peppers in August, but my Florida Gardening Month-by-Month book says to start them in mid-July. So I think I'll start them tomorrow, along with broccoli.  Then I'll plant okra in-ground and try to keep it watered so we actually get some okra this time.


  • I was checking my Twitter feed, which I only do once or twice a month, and saw that Girls Who Code had posted the link to the radio interview that featured my daughter.  She's on there only for a short time, but it was nice to hear her voice :)


SPLURGES
  • Electricity to bake a cake (I should have baked two to take advantage of the hot oven. I keep on forgetting to do this!)
  • Gas to drive to McDonald's & RaceTrac (a mile away) and to go fishing
  • Water for a bath (most of it was reused to water plants)
  • A new hat for Greg ($12.99) and a couple of packs of new plastic worms ($2.99 each)
  • Water to refill the self-watering bins

FAILURES
  • Greg's hat is all ripped. I had already mended it by sewing a patch onto it made of an old pair of shorts that Middle Son was throwing away.  He wants to go buy himself a new hat but I'm going to try mending this one again.  I had already bought himself two new hats, but they're both missing. One was a straw hat that he had decided to store in a toy bin of our son's for some odd reason. When son and I went through the bin last year, we probably marked the hat for donation since we didn't know it was his.  Then the other hat was left at his parents' house in Ohio this summer.

  • I asked Greg to redeem his RaceTrac app coupon for a free can of Left Hook energy drink since I thought it expired today as mine had, but when he checked his app, the coupon had disappeared already. Oh well.

  • When I went to take a picture of my cake with my iPhone,  I received a message that I couldn't because there wasn't enough space available on my phone. I checked the storage space available and it was NONE.  WTF?!  Luckily, it had happened to me before so I knew to go to "storage" and "manage storage" where I saw that Apple had downloaded, against my wishes and against my settings, the 1.2 G install file for the newest iOS.  This iOS is not compatible with my phone and I wouldn't update anyway.  All those iOSes keep on taking more and more space and I only have a 16G phone.  If I installed the newer iOS, most of my available space would be eaten up by it!  I don't have a lot of pictures or music saved to my phone, but what I do have, I would like to keep.  Anyhoo, catastrophe averted as I was able to delete the install file and free up storage space, but if you experience the same problem with your iPhone, see if you have the iOS 9.3.3 or whatever file under "Manage Storage".


  • I finally finished the chocolate stash that I had bought myself before Greg and our son left on their camping trip.  Yes, it was a lot of chocolate.  So last night, I tore into the mini marshmallows that I had been so proud of NOT eating all those weeks.  Gah.

  • When I opened the rain barrel to pour bath water into it, it was only about 1/4 full and between the low level and the heat, the water had become this festering pool of pond scum that stunk to high heaven!  Lesson learned: use grey water to water plants right away but don't store it in the rain barrel.  Arrgh. I emptied it and then disassembled it and rinsed it off with the hose. I hope that does the trick!  I probably should have swirled some bleach in it come to think of it. Oh well.  I'm done putting grey water in it!

  • We navigated to the PBS app on our Roku to watch the latest episode of The Great British Baking Show and got excited for just a second when the line-up showed 26 episodes available... and then we realized that seasons 1 and 2 were only available with the "WUCF Passport" (WUCF being our PBS station) which costs $60 a year!  Doesn't the P in PBS stand for PUBLIC broadcasting?!  And shouldn't "public" mean that everyone can access the content without having to pay for it?  Aren't we already paying for PBS with federal tax dollars?!  This is really pissing me off.  On the other hand, episodes 4, 5 and 6 of season 3 were already published and those remain free.


CHORES
  • Baked a cake
  • Returned library e-book
  • Drove to McDonald's and RaceTrac
  • Watered all the plants
  • Added plant food to roses and hibiscus
  • Harvested the garden
  • Pulled weeds
  • Put weed killers on patio weeds
  • Inventoried my seeds and planned crops for the winter, sort of
  • Cooked dinner

GRATITUDE
  • For a husband who loves to mow, so I don't have to worry about it :)

NATURE
There is no rain in the forecast and it's going to be hot. I ventured on the patio while it was still somewhat in the shade this morning and took a few pictures of my hibiscus because I'm missing taking pictures of wildlife and wildflowers in various locations. I want to go explore my county again!  But now is not a great time what with the heat and the darn Pokemon Go players everywhere.   I would also like riding my bike again!



While I was taking pictures of the hibiscus, I heard a mourning dove cooing and I looked up at my roof and there it was, sitting on the chimney, where I usually see the swifts or woodpecker! 


The mourning doves, a few swifts and an occasional hummingbird are the only birds I have seen recently.
Sorry for the blurry photo. This little guy is growing at the base of my rain barrel, not too far from the hibiscus and the leaves look like hibiscus leaves. So I'm going to leave it alone (I was about to douse it with natural weed killer!) and see what happens.
How was your Saturday? Did you venture outside today?

14 comments:

  1. Love the picture of your hibiscus flower. So pretty!

    Sounds like you had a pretty good day, even if you woke up cranky!

    Hope you have a good day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the "Purr-ito" method worked quite well on me! I hope you have a good day today too :)

      Delete
  2. Glad you and Greg love each other so much, even when you're cranky. Love The Great British Baking Show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He annoys the crap out of me, most of the time, but I do love the doofus. And I suppose that he must love me too to be able to live with crabby, cranky, nagging me :)

      The GBBS is the best "reality" show ever!

      Delete
  3. Ha, the purrito method made me laugh. That would probably work well on me, too. :) We had one of those weeks where everything seemed to fall apart at the same time. I was kind of glad to work yesterday, actually! Glad you had a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you had a bad week too, Laura! Did you get your AC fixed?

      Delete
  4. Yum that cake looks delicious.

    Ah how sweet of your son to have done the laundry.

    Ha ha I can't believe the feral cat techniques work on you my dear friend.

    Have a good day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you think I was untamable, Tara?! LOL.

      The kids always do their own laundry. They don't have any other chores, really, except for keeping their room clean. My son also takes care of the cats and my daughter usually does the dinner dishes, but they get paid for those tasks.

      Delete
  5. How nice of Greg to know just what you needed when you were cranky. Sometimes, when we are the most angry, that's the time we need the most love and understanding.

    I love your hibiscus flowers, and your strawberry cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I guess sometimes he does speak my "love language", lol.

      Delete
  6. That is a beautiful picture of the hibiscus. I've never had that strawberry cake, but I wish I had some now. I need a little something before I go to bed and that would just hit the spot. Hope you got better sleep last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Have you ever tried mug cakes? You make them in the microwave in a mug, in just minutes. I have a recipe on my blog (the picture isn't really pretty, sorry!) for a chocolate mug cake here: http://imperfectlyfrugally.blogspot.com/2015/08/recipe-insta-cakes.html

      Ohh, and I realized in looking up my own "recipes" tab, that there is a recipe for no bake microwave cheesecake, and just tonight we were craving cheesecake (and drove to the store to get some!). I've never actually tried it, though: http://www.instructables.com/id/No-Bake-Microwave-Cheesecake-Made-in-a-Mug/?ALLSTEPS

      Delete
  7. The strawberry cake still looks very delicious and I am reminded that I have not yet baked it. I don't often buy strawberries and when I did buy them this week, I turned them all into jam. Maybe they will still be on sale this week.

    I can't imagine the "purrito" method working on me. I would feel entrapped and would probably "fight to the death" to get away. Ha. I don't like feeling that way. And when I am cranky, give me lots and lots of space.

    Good think Greg likes to mow because you have a lot of back yard to cut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I wouldn't advise him to do it when I'm very pissed because it would be a disaster. But if I'm just cranky or sad, body contact with Greg is like an instant relaxer. And now that we sleep in separate bedrooms, I need more cuddling since I don't get that for 2 seconds every night before I declare "get away from me, you're like a FURNACE!", lol.

      Our whole lot is only 1/3 of an acre so it's not that big, but it does take a couple of hours to mow with our mower. I bet it'd be much faster if we had a ride-on mower but he refuses to get one. He's the only one on our whole block who has a push mower but he likes the exercise. Good, have at it. I hated mowing when he was gone for 6 weeks a couple of summers ago, though.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!