Sunday, July 10, 2016

Not Much Going On ~ Sunday 7/10/16



My body always thinks it's later than it is when I wake up. I was sure that I had slept in quite late this morning but when I checked my phone, it was only 7:50 a.m.  I read the news on my Kindle since I had brought it up with me, so at least I stayed in bed a little longer.

When I came down just a short while later, I knew that I needed to tackle the dirty dishes since we were going to be gone a good chunk of the day. So I unloaded the dishwasher and ran a load as my coffee was brewing. Greg got up early too and set about mowing the lawn as soon as he drank his tea.  We had hoped to go fishing this morning but since we both had chores to do, we skipped it.

Our son got up at 9:30 a.m.  It's a good thing too since I've forbidden Greg from feeding them as soon as he gets up. New Kitty needs to learn to wait instead of whining for her food. Our son is in charge of feeding them.

I need to go to bed not too late tonight as we have to get up at 4:15 a.m. tomorrow!

I really didn't do anything yesterday and I'm afraid that not much is going to get knocked off my To Do List today either, but I'm posting it as a reminder to myself, you never know!

  • Transplant ferns into bare patch in front lawn to make shady planter
  • Caption old pictures that have already been scanned
  • Scan more old pictures
  • Scrub patio pavers with bleach to remove mildew - this might have to wait until the months when it's not quite so hot!
  • Research cone flowers and their care and plant them somewhere 
  • Enter some Coke codes into MCR (next week)
  • Finish painting squirrel sign and assemble it
  • Create spreadsheet to track IRA contributions using ALL our old tax returns - Started but need to do more research.
  • Figure out if we should contribute to regular  or Roth IRAs for 2016 and fund them
  • Fertilize the raspberries
  • Download all May and June photos to my external drive
  • Replace roach traps
  • Research extension cords for generator
  • Call gyneco to make annual appointment
  • Find the cats' rabies licenses
  • Exercise! 
  • Sweep the main stairs
  • Dust
  • Read reply from insurer about son's prescription
  • See if I still have mildew-resistant white paint for bathroom ceiling
  • Declutter linen closet
  • Clean kitchen cabinets
  • Take items to the dump
  • Inventory seeds for Fall plantings
  • Look at what's in the large bin on front porch and declutter
  • Clean out the printer stand, including school paperwork folders
  • Declutter the top of the fridge
  • File the remaining loose recipes that I organized already in appropriate recipe binders
  • Purge filing cabinet
  • Make a lightbox to take better pictures
  • Send email to my French BFF
  • Add new genealogical information to Rootsmagic
  • Get Greg to replace the ceiling tile in the entry room
  • Declutter coat closet/son's closet (shared closet)
  • Schedule credit card payments
  • Write a menu for next week.  
  • Declutter countertop in the breezeway
  • Declutter coffee table
  • Add mulch to the vegetable garden
  • Pull unwanted plants from center "planter" in the backyard, add soil, plant flowers, add edging around it (watch out for large roots that would be in the way). Make planter with other materials if edging doesn't work.
  • Make rice crispy treats
  • Bake triple berry scones
  • Process green beans
  • Research when and how to harvest a pineapple
  • Research when and how to collect seeds from cone flowers - Done
  • Put some bleach in the heat pump water drain (to prevent build-ups)
  • Research when and how to harvest peanuts - Done
  • Divide and repot the aloe plant
  • Water potted plants - Done
  • Iron Greg's clothes - Done

My daughter's train was delayed by 3 hours but luckily she got enough advance notice so she didn't have to wait at the train station.  She just texted me at 9 p.m. our time to say she was on the train. It's a 5 hour ride to San José so it'll be too late for her to text me when she gets there. I hope everything goes well.

FRUGAL SUCCESSES
  • Brewed a pot of free dark roast coffee won from Wawa for my breakfast and had 2 of the donuts that I had bought on clearance at Save A Lot on Friday.

  • Looked through the Sunday paper (1 cent annual subscription) and clipped a few coupons from the only insert that was in there.


  • Printed a few coupons through Swagbucks, SmartSource, and CVS.

  • Uploaded digital to my CVS app, Publix Digital Wallet and Walgreens Digital Wallet.

  • Greg mowed our lawn (low-cost landscaping!)

  • I earned the daily Bing Rewards credits and a few Swagbucks.

  • I reused rainwater to water my outdoor potted plants.

  • Greg and I refilled our Sodapalooza cups at RaceTrac before heading out to IKEA (our son didn't want to come along).

  • This had to be the fastest IKEA visit ever as we power walked through the whole store, impatient behind all the people just milling about, since the laundry racks were almost allll the way at the end. I dislike having to walk through the whole store just to get what I know I need.  So I was cranky, the people were annoying me, IKEA was annoying me (I actually have never been a fan). Thankfully they did have the laundry racks in stock so we grabbed two and Greg carried them the rest of the way for me. I had been thinking about checking out their food section too but by the time we checked out (what? 10, 15 minutes later tops), both he and I were ready to get out so we just left.

  • From there we went to Bass Pro Shops. We didn't need anything but since we'd just spent all that gas and tolls to get to IKEA, we figured we'd check out their fishing section. I couldn't believe how extensive it was (rows and rows of lures and hooks, good grief how many kinds of hooks can there be?!) and I bought a small bag of lures as a stocking present for Greg at Christmas. 


  • Then we were on our way to Trader Joe's. We were hungry so we looked for a place to eat on Sand Lake Road. Greg wanted a salad and I kind of was craving a brie and ham sandwich from TooJay's so we tried going there but the line was very long. There was a "Which Wich" place right across from there that advertised salads and sandwiches so we tried going there, but it was a very disconcerting place with blank walls, a long metallic counter where you placed your order, but you had to check out your order choices on paper sandwich bags and there didn't seem to be any salads or pictures of food so we didn't know if the "saladwhich" was a salad and we were turned off by the decor so we left.  We drove around and we saw unusual (for our semi-rural area) food places (Turkish, Peruvian, Indian, Israeli and more) but nothing sounded interesting for lunch so we ended up at... Panera.  Very unimaginative! The food was alright but not great.


  • Then we tried going to Trader Joe's. Their parking lot, as all the Trader Joe's parking lots that I have been to except for Gainesville's, is very tiny and was very full so Greg just dropped me off and I ran in. I grabbed the UHT whipping cream that I wanted (4 bricks), a wedge of Stilton cheese, 1/2 a baguette, some chocolate covered ginger, chocolate cat-shaped cookies for my son, and a PBJ chocolate bar for Greg.  The cashier was very chatty with the tight-dressed woman ahead of me so I was getting very impatient as it was taking forever to check out... but I kept my calm. However, I bagged my own groceries as he was checking me out and I think he got the message (or maybe my chubbiness wasn't attractive!) and didn't make any small talk with me at all, lol.

  • Then we drove home and got another round of refills at RaceTrac before getting there.  We ate most of the chocolate covered ginger on the way home!

  • We spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing and reading our library books while listening to Smooth Jazz.

  • I took a long bath with my library book.  I reused some of the water to flush the toilet and didn't want to carry the water down the stairs again, but I didn't want to waste the water either. So I didn't drain the bathtub and decided that I would use the water throughout the week to flush the toilet. 

  • For dinner I just made egg and cheese sandwiches for Greg and myself (our son finished the fried chicken from last night) and served it with potato salad from the chicken dinner from Publix.

  • We ate dinner while watching episode 2 of the 3rd season of The Great British Baking Show on PBS via our Roku.


SPLURGES

  • Gas and tolls to drive to South Orlando for our shopping trip.
  • A little over $30 for the laundry racks
  • $3 and change for a Christmas stocking present for Greg
  • My daughter spent about $20 at Lush in California and charged it to my Discover card.


FAILURES
  • Somehow I hurt my shoulders a couple of days ago. The front of my shoulders are hurting when I make certain movements, like spasms.  I think I might have done that when I carried the buckets of water down the stairs a couple of days ago?  It's pretty painful for me to pull the car door closed, or when I bend forward, for some odd reason. I might need to take some ibuprofen.


  • There was a whole table of salt water taffy at Bass Pro Shops but none of it was the Jalapeño flavor that I wanted. The thing is, Greg probably won't have time to get it in Houston because he'll only have about 50 minutes to change planes and grab dinner.



CHORES
  • Did a load of dishes
  • Clipped coupons
  • Deadheaded roses
  • Watered outdoor potted plants
  • Moved hanging pots into semi-shade
  • Drove to Ikea to get laundry racks and ran other errands as well
  • Read my library book
  • Cooked dinner
  • Ironed Greg's clothes
  • Corresponded with my daughter via texts

GRATITUDE
  • For a husband who actually likes to mow the lawn!
  • For Viviane who thought to snap a picture of a blooming lavender field for me as she rode her bike in the French countryside this morning!

  • For a very undemanding son :)


NATURE & GARDENING
The hummingbird feeders are almost empty again but I think it's because of evaporation. I haven't seen any hummers in a couple of days, but maybe my timing stank when I actually looked outside.

I have more basil seedlings coming out, woohoo!  I also have a couple more blooms on my eggplant.




My tomatoes are blooming again!



I moved  the potted vinca plants in the shade (they'll get sun in the mornings) because they looked pitiful. In comparison, the volunteer vincas in planters on my patio and near the almost dead broccoli are looking glorious, despite getting less water!





The peanuts are a jungle under their tent.  I'll have to remember that for next year. I guess the tent is protecting them from the sun (although they're a hot summer crop so maybe they don't even need it) and I haven't been watering them at all.  I think the peanuts are green and I'm guessing I need to harvest them green and then dry them?  I need to look it up. Update: I found this article. I guess I need to wait until Fall.



Also need to look up when/how to harvest seeds from cone flowers.  (update: here is an article about it) The good news is that I have more flowers coming up on the plant that looks mostly dead!



I also got a new bloom on the Peace Lily indoors, woohoo!


And my zombie indoor garden is going quite well. I need to transplant those mint cuttings, they're so tall and leggy now.



Did you have a good Sunday?  Do you enjoy shopping at IKEA?

15 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you hurt your shoulder. Hope it gets better, soon.

    You certainly got a lot of errands run and shopping done! I love reading about your impressions of each store, chatty cashiers, etc. :)

    All your plants seem to be doing very well. You are a good gardener.

    Hope you have a lovely week ahead of you, Nathalie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless, it feels better today but it still hurts once in a while. It's just very odd. I hope it's not arthritis!

      I was a little cranky on Sunday, I guess. I usually enjoy Trader Joe's but this was in a very uppity part of town and the people who live there irritate me just on principal, lol. I just wanted to get out of TJ's since Greg was circling the parking lot. I didn't care to listen to that guy drown on and one about whatever inane thing he was talking about to impress that woman who could have been his mom but chose to dress like a teenager. See? I'm still cranky about it, lol.

      Delete
  2. As you are reading this, Greg has left already for Vancouver, yes? This week should pass very quickly. Enjoyed seeing your garden update this morning. Everything looks refreshed and ready to grow some more. Excited about the harvest of peanuts this Fall.

    Ten or fifteen minutes in Ikea is some kind of record. I have only been to Ikea a couple of times....once to just take it all in and peruse each department, and once to buy something specific. Love wandering, but hate going in for one thing. I can easily understand one's frustration trying to get through the store quickly for one thing. Good for you not being coerced into buying more than what you went in for. The rest of your day sounded perfectly relaxing....just like a hot, lazy summer afternoon is all about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Greg is definitely in Vancouver, where the weather is in the low 60s and everyone is wearing light jackets because it's raining. I'm envious :) He said the hotel gifted him with about $50 worth of specialty foods, we had forgotten they do that for their repeat visitors, so he's enjoying it although he didn't tell me what was in the basket.

      IKEA in Orlando is like another theme park. Tons of people just standing around or walking very slowly, without any goals in mind apart from just spending an afternoon there, I guess, because they can't really afford the real theme parks. I don't understand the whole "let's meander through the whole store, all day" thing/concept at IKEA. It's very annoying to me. I wish there were at least ways to just get into all the sections without having to walk through the whole store no matter what we're buying (or not)! At it was, we were pretty much running and cutting through the exhibits instead of staying on the "road" (so it was like IKEA Off-Roading!) because of all the people just meandering with their carts and their strollers and their whole family. UGH. lol. Ikea is pretty much our idea of hell for both Greg and me, which is odd because I don't mind spending a long time at Target, looking at everything. I guess it's the concept of being forced to go a certain way, in a certain direction. I kept telling Greg to keep his eyes open because if we missed the racks, we'd have to go through the whole damn store again! BUT they had the racks that Pixel had recommended for a very good price and they weren't available on their website so I didn't really have a choice. Greg was grumbling about having to drive so far "just for 2 laundry racks" so I was thinking that maybe I'd find something else to buy, but the truth is I didn't need anything else! I'm guessing 10-15 minutes because of the size of the store and the fact that we did stand in line at the register, but we didn't actually time ourselves. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just 5 minutes to go through the store, lol. I was flying! At the register, I reminded Greg of how lucky he was to have a wife who did NOT enjoy IKEA and he agreed. I told him he'd better brag about it to all his colleagues and make them jealous, lol.

      Delete
  3. I have never been to IKEA. I don't think I have ever even seen an IKEA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting the first time you go because it's different from other shopping experiences. They have everything as far as furniture or furnishings for your house and they're pretty inexpensive but not Walmart cheap. It's preppier than Walmart. But you get trapped buying a bunch of stuff that you might not necessarily need because it's so cheap and by the time you've been through the WHOLE store (you don't have a choice, you have to walk through all the section to get to the register, it's all laid out alongside a meandering path, not regular aisles like at Target for instance), you feel that you HAVE to buy something or you'll just have spent all this time just looking. They have a playground for the kids, a cafeteria that's pretty cheap. We've never eaten there but everyone raves about their Swedish meatballs. I just don't have the patience for that store, especially if I go with Greg who has zero interest in looking at furniture, plastic bowls or shower curtains, you know? lol. It was more fun when I went with my daughter a couple of summers ago because we were trying out all the sofas since I was interested in buying a new one. But none of their sofas are comfortable.

      Delete
  4. Love chocolate cat cookies... the ginger ones are even better but I am the only one that eat them so I never get them. I love their crumbled blue cheese and I need to go pick some up because we are out! I like IKEA sometimes but there is a limit because there are too many people and way better for the during the week instead of busy weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, ginger cookies, I love those and I'm also the only one who will eat them. I need to remember to buy some next time, lol. You're right, I should have thought that IKEA would be crowded on the weekend and just gone during the week. I just didn't want to drive all the way there by myself :) And if I had been by myself, I probably would have taken my time and spent more money to justify driving all the way there for just 2 laundry racks, hahaha.

      Delete
  5. I'm admiring your garden and all the stuff growing in it!

    We had a very relaxing Sunday here. After managing to walk two miles in the heat, we came home and just puttered around and relaxed for the rest of the day. Any Sunday that includes a nap is a good Sunday!

    I love shopping at IKEA - we love browsing there. And we frequently have lunch there, too. Sometimes we even buy something...most of the time it's from their food section. I love their jars of pickled herring and crackers and jams and...and...and... But I totally understand that it can be very frustrating if you're not a fan. The store is so huge and you do have to walk through the entire area to get what you need.

    Love TJ's, too. I wish we had one closer. I always stock up on their spices, and pretzel bagels, and chocolate. Especially chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You walked TWO miles in the heat?!? You're definitely my hero! I think I power walked 2 miles at IKEA, for sure that store makes you walk that much. So that was a plus. It sounds like you and your husband are the people that we were running around on Sunday, lol! I really wanted to look at the food but I had forgotten that it was past the registers and, to be honest, by the time we checked out, Greg offered that we take the time to look but I just wanted to get out of there. All the people there made my claustrophobic! It might have been smarter to just go during the week, but then I wouldn't have had Greg to carry the racks for me (I didn't want a cart because I knew I just wanted to fly by all the browsers!). Also, I knew we were going to Trader Joe's so I figured I'd look at the food there. But once we got there, I was kind of stressed about the crowd there too and Greg circling in the parking lot so I just grabbed what I always buy when I got to TJ and left. OOh, pretzel bagels sound delicious! Is that in the bakery section? I didn't have time to look at that very closely. The bakery section at the Sand Lake Rd TJ is way smaller than the one in Gainesville, I think.

      Delete
    2. Do you ever look at the food section at World Market? I love going there about once a year, mostly for the food section because it reminds me of shopping in a European supermarket.

      Delete
    3. I can see how the crowds in the Orlando IKEA might make you claustrophobic, especially if you are on a quick mission! The store in Tampa is usually a lot less crowded, which makes it somewhat easier.

      TJ pretzel bagels are in the bread aisle...and so yummy! And I know what you mean about World Market. We don't have one here, but about 1 1/2 years ago I ended up at the one in Winter Garden (it was just before Christmas)...you should have seen me load up.

      Delete
    4. That's the one I go to and right before Christmas as well! Maybe we'll bump into each other this Christmas shopping season, near the German Christmas cookies and the chocolate ornaments!

      I'm going to have to add pretzel bagels to my TJ wishlist now :)

      Delete
  6. I cannot handle shopping at Ikea. The layout is absolutely stupid, God forbid there was ever a fire, good luck getting out. I go once every 10 years or so but the nearest stores are in Toronto which is an hour and a half from me so too far to bother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously. I agree :) The few times that I have been there (I think this was my 4th?) it was because I thought that maybe I'd find interesting items that weren't the same stuff you find at all the Walmarts and Targets everywhere. But it really is like a Target, just in a different layout, IMO. And I do hate that layout! I did like going there with my daughter a couple of years ago to look at furniture and dream about how she would furnish her eventual apartment, but if I'm honest, I don't like their furniture at all. Their couches were all very uncomfortable.

      I'm still amazed that it was as crowded as it was. I think most people treat it more like an attraction park than a store. I didn't see a lot of people buying despite the store being PACKED. It's an hour from my house, and I pretty much have to take toll roads at least part of the way, unless I want to add another 30 minutes of commute, and now that my kids are grown, I really don't have a reason to drive down there anymore. Before that, we'd go to the mall that's nearby, or take Middle Son to the Van's Skate Park or go to Fun Spot, all places that are close by. But now I really have to make a special trip just to go there and it's just not that appealing.

      However, I'm really thankful to Pixel for having recommended her rack from there. I'm hoping mine will last several years too so I don't have to go back anytime soon, lol.

      Where are you in relation to Toronto? I love Canada, I want to go back!

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!