Saturday, July 9, 2016

Sleepy Saturday ~ 7/9/16



Greg made me drink a large glass of water last night because he said I was dehydrated and that's what caused my day-long headache. I didn't have a headache when I got up for good this morning at almost 8 a.m., but I got up many times during the night, arrgh.  If I could have a superpower it would be to have the strongest bladder in the world!



So the weekend is here but I still have work to do. Greg needs his clothes washed and ironed for his trip, of course I'm in charge of the cooking, I should declutter my son's room with him, compose that email to my French BFF since it's been months since i wrote to her...

In an hour I'm supposed to be attending a program on Native Plants of Florida at the main library in Clermont so I need to get in the shower!  They are giving away plants as door prizes so I hope I get one.  I should think of errands to run at the same time, but I can't think of any so I'll probably just stop by RaceTrac for more refills and come home afterwards.  I'd love to buy more flowers at Home Depot or Lowe's but it's so hot outside, I'm not going to be working on my planter yet and if I leave them in pots, they might die.

To Do List:
  • Transplant ferns into bare patch in front lawn to make shady planter
  • Caption old pictures that have already been scanned
  • Scan more old pictures
  • Scrub patio pavers with bleach to remove mildew - this might have to wait until the months when it's not quite so hot!
  • Research cone flowers and their care and plant them somewhere 
  • Enter some Coke codes into MCR (next week)
  • Finish painting squirrel sign and assemble it
  • Create spreadsheet to track IRA contributions using ALL our old tax returns - Started but need to do more research.
  • Figure out if we should contribute to regular  or Roth IRAs for 2016 and fund them
  • Fertilize the raspberries
  • Download all May and June photos to my external drive
  • Replace roach traps
  • Research extension cords for generator
  • Call gyneco to make annual appointment
  • Find the cats' rabies licenses
  • Exercise! 
  • Sweep the main stairs
  • Dust
  • Read reply from insurer about son's prescription
  • See if I still have mildew-resistant white paint for bathroom ceiling
  • Declutter linen closet
  • Clean kitchen cabinets
  • Take items to the dump
  • Inventory seeds for Fall plantings
  • Look at what's in the large bin on front porch and declutter
  • Clean out the printer stand, including school paperwork folders
  • Declutter the top of the fridge
  • File the remaining loose recipes that I organized already in appropriate recipe binders
  • Purge filing cabinet
  • Make a lightbox to take better pictures
  • Send email to my French BFF
  • Add new genealogical information to Rootsmagic
  • Get Greg to replace the ceiling tile in the entry room
  • Declutter coat closet/son's closet (shared closet)
  • Schedule credit card payments
  • Write a menu for next week.  
  • Declutter countertop in the breezeway
  • Declutter coffee table
  • Add mulch to the vegetable garden
  • Pull unwanted plants from center "planter" in the backyard, add soil, plant flowers, add edging around it (watch out for large roots that would be in the way). Make planter with other materials if edging doesn't work.
  • Make rice crispy treats
  • Bake triple berry scones
  • Process green beans
  • Research when and how to harvest a pineapple
  • Put some bleach in the heat pump water drain (to prevent build-ups)
  • Divide and repot the aloe plant
  • Wash Greg's clothes - Done
  • Iron them

My daughter is taking the train tomorrow to get back to San José. She was working on homework as I was texting her so she wasn't having much fun :(

FRUGAL SUCCESSES
  • I brewed some of the free dark roast coffee from Wawa mixed with cinnamon.  "Dark roast" always sound so good but I think it might be a tad too bitter for me.  I had two donuts bought on 50% clearance at Save A Lot yesterday, too.

  • I renewed a library book online that was about to expire.

  • I collected water in the shower to reuse it later to flush the toilet.

  • I earned the daily Bing Rewards credits and also a few Swagbucks.

  • I took a RaceTrac survey and earned a reward code for a freebie.

  • I drove the Focus to the main library in Clermont and attended the Native Plants presentation. I'd like to say that I enjoyed it but it was meh.  The people are nice, but they're old people who drown on and on and on, don't make sure their presentation materials are helpful (it would have been good to note the names of the plants displayed on the computer presentation for example), and seem overly concerned with HOAs.  I don't live in a subdivision so I don't care, personally.  The audience was overwhelmingly elderly and if you think teens are rude compared to older people who supposedly have been raised with manners... think twice.  They talked non-stop, interjected with their own pointless stories, etc.  Am I cranky?  Yes.  The meeting was supposed to end at 11 a.m. and I didn't get out of there until noon. Why? Because the drawing was at the very end.  They actually didn't discuss passion flowers at all, I didn't win the door prize, and when I bid on a plant, they were supposed to draw names at random from all the people who had bid on a particular plants but the one woman doing the drawing looked at all the names and obviously picked someone that she knew.  A couple of good things did come out of the meeting:
    • I was able to get a free copy of the "Guide for Real Florida Gardeners" which is a chockful of information about wild native flowers and local resources.  I flipped through it before the meeting started and I already know that there is a lot of information I can use in it. Woohoo!

    • Including the name and details of the native plants nursery that's just a couple of miles from my house, as luck would have it! I had spotted it last week while driving by but couldn't remember its name so I was going to have to drive by again.  It's only one of two in a radius of 20 miles that only carries native plants so I'm going to have to go.  Unfortunately, they're only open by appointment, which means making a phone call so I'd really have to be motivated to go!

    • One of the more animated presenters was walking around with a copy of a book about using native plants in landscaping, showing us some pages. I found it on Amazon but I'm going to check if our library system has it.

  • I had thought about driving on to the Ferndale Preserve afterwards since I was already halfway there, but when I came out of the meeting, I was cranky and very hungry. I didn't want to go back to RaceTrac because it wasn't on the way.  I almost ordered food from Panera but I would have had to pay $2 for a soda and I'm not paying for soda when I have 3 Sodapalooza cups in the car!  So I decided to just go home.

  • I called my son to make sure he was OK and ask if he wanted anything while I was in Clermont (he didn't) and told him I'd go to Aldi too.

  • I went to RaceTrac, gassed up the Focus for $2.09/gallon and earned a few loyalty points on my RaceTrac app and a new receipt for a new freebie, along with 2% back in Rewards with my Amex.

  • Since I was starved, I redeemed a survey reward code for a free bacon cheese dog and also refilled our 3 Sodapalooza cups for free. I ate the dog in the car. 

  • I also picked up 2 copies of the latest local Coupon Book.  There are BOGO coupons for Bruster's Real Ice Cream in there again!


  • Back home, I was still hungry so I had the last chunk of smoked turkey sausage and Caribbean Jerk Mac'n Cheese from last night's dinner.

  • I spent the afternoon reading my library book and took two naps!  I was still groggy in late afternoon from all the napping so I announced that I didn't feel like cooking and Greg said "I will provide". When pressed for details, he didn't know but said that he would figure something out.  Yay.

  • Lovely Pixel from Thoughts From My Corner of the Couch down in Lakeland, FL, tipped me to her laundry rack from IKEA. She's had it for several years and is really happy with it, so I checked the stock at the Orlando IKEA and it seems that they should have it in stock so Greg and I have a date tomorrow: we'll go to IKEA so I can get a couple of those, and then to Bass Pro Shops since it's close by, and then to Trader Joe's since we could be passing it on our way home. Woohoo! Thanks, Pixel!


  • Since we'll be gone tomorrow, I did the laundry tonight, as I will need to iron Greg's clothes tomorrow night so he can pack for his trip. I did it in cold/cold but I think I'll throw everything in the dryer because I'm feeling a little lazy.

  • I checked the calendar of events for our library system and found a presentation on Backyard Beekeeping that will take place at the end of the month in Mount Dora.  I added it to my calendar as it is a free event.  We will be able to sample local honeys too.  I don't think I want to become a beekeeper, but I certainly want to learn more about attracting bees!

  • I checked the library catalog for that book about native plants in landscaping and indeed, they have it and my own library branch has it so I should be able to pick it up on Monday!  If I do like it, I'll order a used copy from Amazon.

  • For dinner we went out to Publix and got our usual Fried Chicken Family Dinner, which also allowed us to get a 2 L bottle of Diet Coke for free with a store coupon, and some sushi.  I used my Publix gift card to pay for it so it was free to us.  


  • Greg and I finished watching the 3rd season of Gavin & Stacey.  After that, I was flipping through the channels on OTA TV and we found an episode of Miranda on PBS.  Greg absolutely loves that show so we watched that (even though we'd seen that episode at least 5 times already!)

SPLURGES
  • Gas for Greg to drive to Tampa and back
  • $1.00 for the plant drawing.
  • $25 (too much!) for a chocolate and cookie stash because it's getting close to that time of the month, I was hungry and cranky and during those times, chocolate is my best friend.  I'm making this come out of our vacation budget though.  So there.


FAILURES
  • Too much chocolate?
  • Used the dryer instead of the laundry racks.
  • Not cooking dinner :)


CHORES
  • Attended library seminar
  • Ran an errand
  • Did the laundry
  • Went to Publix with Greg to pick up dinner

GRATITUDE
  • That my headache is gone!
  • That Greg didn't pester me or not being in the mood to cook dinner :)
  • For Pixel to clue me on to her laundry rack!
I hope you had a relaxing Saturday as well!  Do you encourage native plants in your yard?

10 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy your trip to IKEA! We actually almost drove down there today, too. But ultimately I have enough things here to do and my pressing need for a dining room rug is in fact just a pressing want. :) But thank you for mentioning the drying rack -- I would like to pick up another one to replace the crappy one I bought at Target years ago and actually having three drying racks would be awesome. I put a lot of things in the dryer, but I also dry quite a few things on the racks, too.

    I can totally commiserate on the chocolate and cookie stash! Chocolate is my friend during that time, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was there I was wondering if I should buy more than two since we were THERE, but I still have the other 2 from Aldi that aren't completely broken but the one that I had bought from Target.com (I think?!) and that I really like. Unless Greg starts letting me dry his T-shirts outdoors, I don't need more racks than that. Plus I need to find a convenient place to store them. The IKEA racks are noticeably heavier than the Aldi racks (9 lbs each) so I'd like to keep them in my small shed that right off the patio, but I'm afraid my son will get them tangled into my bike. I have to think about it.

      I have to admit that I do NOT enjoy IKEA. It's too big and I don't like that I have to walk through the whole store (hurry uuuuuup, people and keep your kids with you!) to get the one thing that I need. I've been there probably 4 times since it opened and never left with more than 1 or 2 things that I wasn't even planning on buying. Too much impulse shopping, especially since it's 1 hour away from home and getting there costs me a lot in gas and tolls so then I feel like I HAVE to buy something to make it worth my trip. I would have thought that by now the novelty would have worn off and it wouldn't be busy but the parking lot was PACKED. We had to park in the furthest row, it was nuts. Greg hates it.

      Delete
  2. I am very glad you got something out of the library program on Native plants, specifically the name of your local nursery and the two books you discussed. Too bad they were mostly seniors who drone on and on and are easily distracted away from the discussion at hand. Ask me how I know. *laugh* I know that I will be old one day and I don't look forward to it. My husband assured me that he would shoot me before I get to that point. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How kind and considerate of your Sweetie, lol. I know it'll probably be me too (heck, it's probably already me, at least the getting distracted part), but I was annoyed that this had been advertised as a presentation about native plants, and it ended up being more like an association meeting where they were trying to recruit new members. So the information was geared to "insiders" already, I felt, and certainly the door prizes were. I was very disappointed that they didn't talk about passion flowers at all, but I suggested that as a topic for another meeting... not that I plan on going back, they pretty much did me in! I'm not a group joiner. They do "plant rescue", which I didn't realize people did! They go to places that developers are about to raze and collect native plants and transplant them in public places that are of similar eco-system. So a lot of the plants get transplanted to Lake Louisa State Park, which is in Clermont. I admire people like that but I don't have the drive to do things like this.

      Delete
  3. Hey, thanks for the shout-out! I really hope you like the rack as much as I do!

    You just reminded me that I need to iron my husband's clothes. The new job is a little dressier than the one he had before. He used to wear those polo/golf shirts there, now he's wearing dress shirts (no ties, thankfully!). They need ironing. Sigh.

    Too much chocolate??? What is that? For me, any time of the month is time for chocolate. As a matter of fact, we were at Aldi yesterday and I picked up some of the same stuff. Soooo much better than Prozac, I tell ya (and cheaper!). Not that I would know about Prozac.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sighing with you. I'm lucky that Greg's work environment is very relaxed and he hangs his clothes back every night so he wears them several days in a row. Consequently, I don't have as much ironing to do as I did several years back when he worked for Fidelity and had to dress up everyday and the kids had to wear school uniforms. He could wear shorts and tshirts and no one would care. However, since he's always cold, he wears khakis and long-sleeved flannel shirts year-round. In Florida. He's weird!

      Kudos to you for not using a dry-cleaner though! I hate ironing but I hate spending money on dry cleaning even more :)

      I used one of my new racks for the first time this morning and so far, so good! Thanks again for the tip :)

      I wish Aldi still had the Moser coconut white chocolate that I bought previously. It was SO good. This past week I bought the Chocoeur and it wasn't nearly as good. It didn't stop me from eating it, though, lol. I ate so much chocolate that I was nauseous. And I think Greg bought me more chocolate from a specialty store in Vancouver too since he wasn't sure he'd be able to get me that jalapeño saltwater taffy that I really want. Woohoo!

      Delete
  4. Glad your headache went away. Maybe next time, drink the water earlier in the day so you don't have to get up so many times at night! :)

    Sorry the Native Plant presentation didn't quite live up to your expectations, but at least you got a free book and the title of another helpful book. Good of you to check if the library had it so you could preview it before buying it. Very frugal move!

    That's a great chocolate stash! One can never have too much chocolate! I am still off chocolate, unfortunately. :(

    I have the same laundry rack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really should do what Tara had suggested, which is to drink one or two large glasses of water as soon as I get up (even before drinking the coffee which I ends up sipping on all morning).

      I'm very glad I got the free Guide for Real Florida Gardeners. It's not a book really, it's a local resource guide but with lots of useful information for people like me. I need to go through it with my highlighter and some sticky tabs to mark the pages that are of particular interest so I can refer back to it!

      Are you still off chocolate because of your taste buds still not working right? Or is there another reason why you're off it? I know some readers of your blog have been exhorting you to eat healthy. Notice that I haven't been one of them, I'd be such a hypocrite to do that, lol. I hope you can eat some chocolate soon :)

      Delete
    2. I'm off the chocolate because my taste buds are still not working right and chocolate doesn't taste good, anymore. A very sad situation, I think.

      Delete
    3. It's a tragedy, that's what it is!

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!