Monday, August 8, 2016

Day Book: Monday 8/8/16



Outside my window... the sun is rising.  I just went outside and it was 72F but muggy.  The birds weren't awake yet.

I am thinking... that I wish I did all those little chores that didn't seem like much at the time and that I thought "Oh, I'll do that on Monday since it's Domestic Monday!" Only NOW it's Monday and I feel a little overwhelmed with everything that I should do today, especially since I realized last night that I'll be attending my son's high school orientation this morning!

I am thankful for... Greg no longer having a migraine and my daughter coming home tonight!

From the learning rooms... Well, this is it!  My son officially starts high school on Wednesday. He should be finishing his high school Health & Fitness class online today or tomorrow so he will start with several high school credits under his belt already.  He has to finish his summer projects for his AP Human Geography and his Language Arts classes, but when I checked in with him on Friday, he seemed to have it all planned out.  We're going to his orientation this morning to pick up his schedule (which, undoubtedly, will be inaccurate, based on experience with his 5 older siblings!), etc.  There's a new principal this year so it'll be interesting to see what changes or not.  My daughter should be done with her online summer college classes, I know that she's planning on going to return her books on Friday (the county lends her the textbooks for free!) and picking up her new ones for the Fall semester which starts in a couple of weeks for her.  I received an email from Girls Who Code this morning, congratulating me on her graduation from the Summer Immersion Program and letting me know of all the ways they will support her as an alumni, which is awesome for her: from a job board to a blog, from an app for her to connect to other alumnae to a parent newsletter, they have lots of things going on, which I hope will be beneficial to her.

From the kitchen... I have already boiled eggs this morning for Greg's snacks and my lunches.  I guess I'll cook one of the dinners that I didn't cook this weekend, tonight. I need to make a menu for the week, do the dishes.

I am wearing... a black V-neck cotton Tshirt and tan capris

I am creating... I'm planning on making a welcome back sign for my daughter.  I doubt it'll be very fancy!

I am going... well to my son's h.s. orientation.  I probably should get another loaf of bread so we'll stop by Publix on the way home, and also go to the library to return the DVDs that are due.  Otherwise, I'll be doing chores at home. I need to call the AC repair company to come look at our thermostat.

I am reading... blogs. I haven't read my library book in over a week.

I am hoping... that I have enough energy to do all the things that I need to do.  That the AC repair people can come this week and that the repair won't be too costly or involved.

I am hearing... Greg getting ready for work (why does he insist on wearing his shoes on the 2nd floor when we have hardwood floors?!? I think it's so inconsiderate for everyone else as it makes a racket!).

Around the house... Our son is still asleep but should be up in about 5 minutes. I was going to have him get up at 6 a.m. but we'll do th

at tomorrow as a dry run to see if he can be ready in time for me to take him to school on time.

One of my favorite things... the DVD drive on my laptop. Nowadays a lot of laptops come without one and I think that's insane!  It was really nice this weekend being able to plop in a DVD and watch a show or movie while surfing the net or doing other tasks online and not having to turn on the TV, which would have been a problem with Gregs' migraine.  We own some DVDs and it was nice to have the option to watch them instead of having to make do with Netflix or Amazon Prime.

A few plans for the rest of the week... school starts on Wednesday so from then on I'll be taking my son to school in the mornings and picking him up afterwards, tomorrow is my BFF's birthday so I need to contact her and arrange to take her out to dinner soon, I'll probably have school supply errands to run as the various teachers give my son their lists.

Here is the picture I am sharing... I couldn't get a clear view of it but there was beautiful light as the sun was rising this morning. Trying to take the picture, though, I realized how much was in the way: trees, roofs, electric cables... arrgh.



10 comments:

  1. Crazy...I am wearing a black v-neck t-shirt and tan Capri's :). Off to drive my son and his friend to Canada's Wonderland for the day. It was only three years ago I was the person je wanted to go with. Now I a merely the chauffeur :(.

    Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Theresa, I feel your pain... on the one hand it's so nice not to have to entertain little kids anymore but on the other hand, it's really sad when they don't seem to want to hang out with us anymore :( How old is your son?

      Too funny that we're wearing the same outfit, lol. I wonder how many of us are wearing this exact combination today!

      I hope you have a great week too :)

      Delete
    2. My son is 14 and my daughter is 18. My sister has a 2 and 4 year old whom I adore however every time I leave her house I am so glad my kids are older. Keeping kids entertained is exhausting!!! :)

      Delete
    3. LOL, I agree! I keep on telling my kids NOT to have kids because I don't see myself being a grandmother and having to entertain little kids anymore. Either that or I'll be the "here are some stickers, now leave me alone!" grandma.

      So we have kids of the same age. My daughter turns 18 in less than a month and my youngest son is 14!

      Delete
  2. Have fun this morning at the High School orientation. This will be the last opportunity to do this. Last milestones. It is bittersweet.
    I am not wearing tan and black. My daybook entry is here. http://sues-retirementfunds.blogspot.ca/2016/08/daybook-monday-aug-816.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No black & tan outfit?! Well, you can't be part of the cool girls' club then :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely picture of the sunrise.

    By the time you receive this, your daughter would have come home. Congratulate her from me on her achievements, please.

    Off to read about your Domestic Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read this and I thought "Awwww!" and then I went to tell her and she said "Awww!". LOL. Thanks, Bless. It's nice that she's home. She has a lot of work to do this week to finish her college class projects and take final exams online so we don't have much time to catch up but we'll do that next week. She'll truly be on vacation and I told my son that he has to ride the bus home in the afternoons, which will free me to go on outings with my daughter. Woohoo!

      Delete
  4. I can't wear black T-shirts (at least not in the summer), because they make me too hot! So in order to be cool, I won't be part of the cool girls' club. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Well, I think you're very cool anyway.

      I hear you, though ... most of my T-shirts are black, though. If I know I'm going to be outside (like for a hike), then I wear a light colored T-shirt. I wore black today and went outside to take photos of my garden but started gardening and I had to stop very fast because I was roasting!

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!