Friday, August 19, 2016

Disney Springs' Art in August ~ Friday 8/19/16



Another night that I spent tossing and turning despite being exhausted. Argh. I got up with my son but came back downstairs, told him I hadn't slept and that I was going to lie down on the couch. I tossed and turned until he left for school and then slept until Greg woke me up by calling me at 8:20 a.m.  And then I couldn't go back to sleep again.

So I'm exhausted and I'm not sure that I'll be productive at all today.  I was supposed to go to Save A Lot this morning to buy eggs at $0.89 a dozen and see if they had anymore bakery items on clearance, but now I'm thinking that saving 10 cents a dozen on eggs isn't a huge deal, especially since I have eggs in the fridge, so I might skip that.

My daughter didn't want to do anything today and she is leaving to go spend the weekend at her dad's later on tonight. So I might just spend my day chilling on the couch, trying to get to that 1st goal in Swagbucks, which shot up to 107 SB for me today. Update: well I saw an article about some art and craft show going on at Disney Springs today (formerly Downtown Disney) so I might ask my daughter if she wants to go when she wakes up. I haven't been to the "new" Disney Springs yet, and it's free (although it's probably going to be packed and parking might be hard to come by) and I love going to art shows with my artistic daughter!  It's 11:10 a.m. and I haven't seen her yet so I might have to wake her up at noon and see what she says.

Well she got up at noon and I asked her and she wanted to go!  So she's taking a shower, then I will, we'll eat lunch at home, and then we'll head out to Walt Disney World, well Disney Springs. She's going to drive the Focus because I'm too tired to drive.

Just for kicks, I'll post my To-Do List which will probably get ignored (but if I don't post it, it will definitely get ignored!):

To Do List (which probably won't have anything crossed off by the time this posts tonight!):
  • Crafty/Creative:
    • Finish painting squirrel sign and assemble it
    • Make a lightbox to take better pictures
    • Melt down old candles and make into one or two new candles
    • Make "No Soliciting" sign for front door and another one for the other front door (we have two)
  • Cleaning/Decluttering:
    • Dust the entry room, breezeway, bedrooms (including son's fan)
    • Declutter linen closet
    • Clean kitchen cabinets
    • Clean out the printer stand, including school paperwork folders
    • Declutter the top of the fridge
    • Mend items in mending basket (add Greg's hat)
    • Declutter exercise room (including storage bench)
    • Vacuum living room
    • Sweep breezeway
    • Sweep and mop downstairs bathroom
    • Spray bleach in shower stall
    • Scrub downstairs toilet
    • Put Greg's laundry away
    • Make a car deodorant pad for my SUV
    • Clean the fridge
  • Cooking/Baking/Preserving:
    • Dehydrate pineapples 
  • Entertainment
    • Plan an outing to Leu Botanical gardens or Bok Tower Gardens
  • Errands:
    • Take items to the dump
  • Gardening/outdoors:
    • Transplant ferns into bare patch in front lawn to make shady planter
    • Research cone flowers and their care and plant them somewhere - Transplanted them in larger pot.
    • Scrub patio pavers with bleach to remove mildew (this might have to wait until the months when it's not quite so hot!)
    • Fertilize the raspberries - I'm thinking about pulling them and putting more roses in pots in their place.
    • Add mulch to the vegetable garden - I will do this once I have replaced the broken self-watering bins
    • Pull unwanted plants from center "planter" in the backyard, add soil, plant flowers, add edging around it (watch out for large roots that would be in the way). Make planter with other materials if edging doesn't work. (this will have to wait until Fall when it's not so hot and when I can plant wildflower seeds).
    • Divide and repot the aloe plant
    • Plant more okra
    • Trim grass behind the hedge
    • Trim weeds alongside the berm
    • Find fish emulsion and use on plants
    • Spray water on the hibiscus for aphids and mealybugs
    • Pull the rest of the dead tomato plants 
    • Plant passion flower vine seeds
    • Check on the seedlings and water as needed 
    • Add water to pepper bins
    • Refill hummingbird feeders
    • Refill green bird feeder
    • Put more Vaseline on bird feeder poles
  • Health:
    • Call gyneco to make annual appointment
    • Use recumbent bike - Walked for 2 hours instead
    • Do 5 min of strength exercises 
    • Log food into My Fitness Pal - done
    • Record exercise in Walgreens Balance Rewards - done but didn't earn anything
    • Weigh myself (Thursdays)
  • Maintenance:
    • See if I still have mildew-resistant white paint for bathroom ceiling
    • Get Greg to replace the ceiling tile in the entry room
    • Test the batteries in all 3 smoke detectors and replace as needed
    • Vacuum fridge coils
    • Vacuum AC vent in kitchen
    • Greg to call plumber
    • Wash the bathroom ceiling with bleached water
    • Remind Greg to re-secure chicken wire to AC unit and also to block off opening under front of the house
    • Plan on taking car for oil change this week or next
  • Technology/Paperwork:
    • Caption old pictures that have already been scanned
    • Scan more old pictures
    • Create spreadsheet to track IRA contributions using ALL our old tax returns - Started but need to do more research.
    • Figure out if we should contribute to regular  or Roth IRAs for 2016 and fund them - I guess I need to wait until tax time next year, actually. I'll have until April 15, 2017 to fund 2016 IRAs so I need to work on taxes way sooner than I did this year so I'd have time to fund the IRAs and THEN file my taxes.
    • Download all May-July photos to my external drive
    • Back up my external drive to my other external drive
    • File the remaining loose recipes that I organized already in appropriate recipe binders
    • Purge filing cabinet
    • File paperwork
    • Write new letter to great grand aunt
    • Look at sample ballot and research local candidates
    • Remove daughter's pc from her room and decide what to do with it
    • Input receipts in spreadsheets
    • Record Greg's paycheck into tax spreadsheet - Done
    • Transfer raise + FICA to savings - Done
    • Pay bills - Done
    • Balance checkbook - Done
    • Finalize Grocery Shopping Post - Done

FRUGAL SUCCESSES
  • I brewed a pot of free coffee from Wawa.

  • My son packed a lunch to take to school.

  • He took the bus to school again. I'm very glad this is working out for everyone!

  • I uploaded digital coupons to my Publix wallet.

  • OverDrive notified me that several e-books that I had put on hold week ago when I was in the thrall of a reading frenzy were now available... but I haven't even finished or picked up the books that are already checked out to me. Oh the pressure!  Plus I always avoid reading when I'm on a diet as I can't seem to enjoy a book without eating something delicious at the same time.

  • After many tries, I finally was able to qualify for and complete a 100 SB survey that put me over my 2nd Daily Goal. Phew.  And my team is still leading the Team Challenge. Good job, Mia!

  • My daughter and I had lunch at home, filled up our water bottles, and drove the Focus to Disney Springs to attend the free "Art in August" event.  I also packed a couple of packets of peanut butter crackers.

  • On the way to Walt Disney World, my daughter was driving so I called Greg (I had hung up on him this morning when he woke me up!). He said that he was switching from his Spotify Premium membership ($12.99 a month) to the Groove membership from Microsoft ($9.99 a month) and was getting the first month for free.  Yay for savings!
  • Parking was free.

  • We walked for 2 hours in the heat so free exercise for us!

  • We both joined "L'Occitane" VIP program for free, which will give us discounts on future purchase and will allow us to enter in the quarterly drawing for a trip to Provence!

  • We stopped by Starbucks on the way home and I bought my daughter a lemonade. I used the credit on my Starbucks gift cards that I had gotten for free from Ting last year so it was FREE to me plus I earned some Starbucks Rewards stars.

  • I checked the results of the Swagbucks Team Challenge and my team won. Woo!  I should get a 50 SB Swag-up sometime today but it's already 6:15 p.m. and it hasn't been credited to My Swag-Ups account yet.




  • I earned a $5 Amazon gift card from Bing Rewards!



  • So I ordered a used copy of one of the books that I had placed on my wish list recently and got it for free after applying my gift card. Woohoo!



  • CVS Customer Relations replied to my email inquiry about the "new" coupon policy. I had asked for details about it since the coupon policy posted on their website didn't mention anything about coupons that beep.  Their reply was "It has always been CVS Pharmacy's policy to honor all coupons that are within their expiration date. Nothing has changed in terms of what coupons are accepted within our coupon policy itself, and our coupon policy prohibits the use of expired coupons."  I printed their email and will bring it with me to the store next week.

  • I paid some bills online and balanced my checkbook.


SPLURGES
  • I bought my daughter some cherry flower hand cream at L'Occitane.  She had bought the same one in Provence last year and was almost out of it.  It ended up being on sale so we saved $2.

  • I also bought myself a bottle of roll-on peony perfume. It smells sooo good!

  • I treated my daughter to an air plant at one of the Art in August booths, it also ended up being $3 cheaper than the sticker price.

  • I bought myself a new flag for my front yard. 

FAILURES
  • MyFonts sent me an offer to download 3 fonts for free. I tried doing that but it failed. It's the first time that I've had a problem with them.  I could have tried contacting them, but I already have a lot of fonts and I'm tired so I just shrugged it off. Oh well. No font freebie for me today.

  • I had a hard time printing the Best Meals at Home Publix store coupons that were emailed to me, and when the program finally said that my coupons had been sent to my printer, no coupons ever printed. I did make sure the correct printer was selected and I have ink and paper and the printed is connected to my laptop so grrr. Every month I have trouble with those darn coupons and I don't even know why I bother since I rarely ever go to Publix anymore!

CHORES
  • Researched Sumter County parks
  • Replied to blog comments
  • Commented on blogs
  • Went to Disney Springs with my daughter
  • Called Greg to check in
  • Cooked dinner
  • Recorded Greg's paycheck into our tax spreadsheet
  • Transferred amount from raise and FICA to savings for new car fund
  • Paid bills online
  • Balanced checkbook

HEALTH
  • My daughter and I walked for 2 hours at Disney Springs.
  • Despite all the temptations there, we resisted and didn't buy any food!
  • I stayed within my calorie allotment (actually, I have calories left to it so I may have a small piece of cherry pie, woohoo!)

Dinner

GRATITUDE
  • For a great afternoon with my darling daughter
  • For the great attitude of the Art in August vendors.  They should be Disney Cast Members!  In comparison, the 2 actual Cast Members that I interacted with at the Once Upon A Toy shop were barely pleasant.
  • For my daughter's safe trip to her dad's house tonight, as the thunder and lightning were starting just as she left.

FIELD TRIP: DISNEY SPRINGS AND ART IN AUGUST


New Kitty was begging me to take her with us... Sorry, you have to stay at home and guard it against lizards!


We parked at one end of Disney Springs and walked through the whole thing, including the former Pleasure Island.
I hadn't been there in years and almost everything was new to me!

My ex and I used to take our kids to DisneyQuest quite often. Ironically, my youngest son is the most rabid videogamer of them all and has never been. I checked the ticket prices: $45 + tax per person. Ouch.  

Once upon a time I attended a Gospel Brunch at the House of Blues, which was delicious.  That was before my oldest son was born, I believe.  Then when we finished working on "Brother Bear", the cast party was thrown here.  The Blind Boys of Alabama played that night and it was awesome. Ah, memories!

Wolfgang Puck Café used to be one of my favorite restaurants!

I couldn't resist taking a picture of this store front even though the witch has always terrorized me. I can barely make myself look at her right now!

If there hadn't been a ton of construction around, it might have been fun to go up in this balloon, although
I have no idea of what it would have cost.

One of the many temptations that we avoided today! 

Ohh, I want to bring my youngest son here as he loves anything Irish!  They were playing Irish music outside the pub that I think he would enjoy, even if we didn't go in.  Looking at the menu, they charge $15 for a burger.  So we'd stay outside and listen to the free music :)


So it's called "Disney Springs" because they recreated the springs that you find throughout Florida.  It's very well done.  The floating lights must look pretty at night.  What are those things in the water, though?

A closer look.... pebbles, maybe?

Nope!  Look at all the free money I found on the ground today!  LOL. I know it all goes to charity but I think that people who throw money into any body of water that they see are... well, idiots.

On the other side of the bridge into Disney Springs.

Yeah, we avoided going in there too!

Ohhh, but we didn't avoid this store at all!  We chatted with this saleslady standing at the entrance.
She told us that she had won a trip to Provence three years ago as a performance bonus and she loved it. I jokingly asked if
we could be entered in the same drawing and it turns out that we could, by joining the VIP program (free newsletter). So we did. She was a very good salesperson but we were able to reign ourselves in and the other things that I bought were some hand cream for my daughter and some perfume for myself.  Total splurges.

Love this painting of Provence, it reminds me of our trip to visit my brother last summer.

The LEGO Imagination Center!  The kids and I came here quite often.  My youngest son's favorite destination
for many years!


Another trap that we avoided!

So in the end the "Art in August" event, that I had pictured of the ampleur of The Festival of the Masters was... pretty disappointing!  I think there were fewer than 10 booths!

Our favorites were located near the splash park. Back in the days, I'd bring a change of clothes for the kids and we'd finish our visit with a long playtime in the water. Nowadays they have a DJ playing dance music there. Kind of obnoxious, actually.

One of the booths that we enjoyed. My daughter wanted an air plant, and I would have loved one of
the little pots containing a very pretty succulent plant from the aloe family, but I resisted the extra
spending because I already have so much stuff that I need to clear out of the house.


Another treat that we resisted. However, I couldn't resist snapping a picture of it as it made me laugh!
Yes, Darth, I find it disturbing too!

Walking back to the car, we spotted this sight!  Now that's not something you get to see every day!

The Amphicar Launch was located a little ways away.  You had to go into a store to buy a ticket so I have no idea of the cost. It was way too hot anyway. and we were ready to go home.

I really liked the outside of this store, a mosaic of purple and silver. It looks better in real life, though.

Starbucks was busy.  I got my daughter a cold drink (for free) but I stuck to drinking the water I had brought from home.
Despite our let down at the Arts "event", we had a good time chatting with various artists and taking in the new sights.  We do want to go back in the evening at some point.

With this, I didn't do ANY real chores today!  How productive was your Friday?

14 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo! We did win!!! Good job to you too. I just redeemed and got the 50SB. I was waiting until the challenge was over to redeem. Next week is swago. I don't like that too much. Do you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I only ever got 5 SB from a Swago board once and it must have been the very first one. They always throw tasks in there like referring someone or participating in a sweepstake or buying something... all those things I typically don't do! I pre-registered for this one since you mentioned it, but I don't expect I'll earn anything. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Oh Disney Springs is looking so good now. It looks like you had a really nice afternoon. I'm so impressed that you avoided so many treats, I wouldn't be able to and would have probably put on four stone in one afternoon. I certainly wouldn't have been able to resist Darth!

    I hope your daughter got to his dads safely xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice but I liked how Downtown Disney felt more open before. I'd hate to be at Disney Springs when it's really busy because there are so many stores now. It actually feels more like a "downtown" than it did before, which is ironic since they've rebranded to the "Springs" brand, which doesn't really have to do with anything else than the fake springs that they built (which look good, it's true).

      Delete
  3. Your trip looks and sounds like it was fun! I love L'Occitane, too, although it's been quite some time since I've been there. I haven't been to Disney Springs, but it looks like a neat area. I think I would be very tempted by those candy stores, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so hot, I was kind of craving a sundae from Ghirardelli's for old times' sake since I used to treat the kids there when they were little. But I don't care for ice cream all that much and remembering how everything is so expensive at Disney helped me resist!

      I love the scent of my "intense eau de toilette" but I'm disappointed that the scent seems to evaporate once rolled onto the skin :( Maybe I'll just keep it in my purse so I can get it out and sniff it once in a while, ha.

      Delete
  4. Sorry you had another night of finding it hard to fall asleep, on Thursday. Hope you slept better, last night.

    It sounds like you had a fun time at Disney Springs with your daughter. You did well with resisting temptation to buy food while out!

    Aw, loved the picture of New Kitty! Of course she wanted to go with you! She had heard that there might be a big mouse or two, anywhere named Disney! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I didn't even think that she might want to go chase after Mickey Mouse :)

      Delete
  5. I love Disney Springs! My husband and I went there earlier this year. I have a lot of the same photos that you posted. :-)

    We had lunch at the House of Blues, and we did not avoid the Ghirardelli store...we got their free samples. Twice. And aren't those amphibian cars fun to look at? We had been to Disney Springs before, when one of my older sons came from Buffalo with his wife and my oldest two granddaughters. It was still called Downtown Disney then. And I always think that we all had lunch at Splitsville back then...and now he's getting divorced. Ah, the ironies of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah shoot, I'm sorry to hear he's getting a divorce. I didn't know there used to be a restaurant called Splitsville, not sure if it's still there.

      Thanks for telling me about the free Ghirardelli samples, NOT! hahaha.

      I think Disney Springs might be great when it's cooler. It was very hot, but also not very crowded since it was a weekday, which was nice. I couldn't imagine being there when there are a lot of people, though.

      Delete
  6. Even though you called me an IDIOT (I can't walk by a pool without throwing in a coin), I still very much enjoyed the field trip today. Really nice pictures, great souvenir buys, and an overall cheap and wonderful day out with your daughter before she buckles down to her classes. It is disappointing that there were so few artists there, but I am sure you enjoyed the inaction with the artists themselves. I love the air plant hanging in glass that you bought your daughter. I would definitely have bought one of those. It must have been very nostalgic going back to Disney Springs. What a lovely afternoon.

    Wasn't that interesting hearing about "no change in policy" from CVS headquarters. Imagine that. I would love to be a fly on the wall next time you speak with the manager. And I would be taking back the coupon with the receipt to see how he planned on fixing things.

    Congrats on winning the team challenge for Swag Bucks AGAIN. You are good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow Blogger didn't email me your comment so I didn't realize that it was waiting there for me to approve until just now, sorry!

      So you are one of those people who like wasting your money by throwing it in a puddle?! tsk, tsk, Susan! LOL. I'm sorry for calling it you an idiot. Everyone else is, but not you. Canadian money isn't worth much anymore anyway so you go ahead and throw it away, my dear :) Oh hey, I have some Canadian coins that I have been trying to figure out how I could get rid of them so maybe I'll put them in a future mailing to you and then you can throw it all away to your heart's content!

      I'm a little anxious about talking to them about the coupon policy tomorrow because I don't want to get into a fight with those people, they're really some of my favorite cashiers and managers to deal with. But what's right is right. I want to get a better look at the policy that was printed and stuck on the counter that the cashier was pointing out last week because it looked like an official CVS document and if indeed it talks about the beeping coupon situation, then Corporate Customer Service might have been wrong (if they're like other companies, they outsource their customer service to 3rd party vendors so who knows what they know/do not know. I've had my share of customer service reps who blatantly lied about their companies' policies because they were too lazy/incompetent to research the issues). Despite what you might think, I DO NOT like confrontation. But I'm pretty good at it when I'm pushed.

      Thanks on your congratulations for the Team Challenge, I helped a tiny bit: I got about 3,500 team points whereas the highest earner on our team got 53,000 team points so I feel very unworthy of any praise. Also, our prize is 50 SB, which is... worth 50 cents. It's a wonder that any of us actually participate in those week-long challenges, lol.

      Again, sorry for the insult. I meant it in a loving way!

      Delete
  7. I know you don't like confrontation. I certainly don't. I love to rant about what I consider injustices, but when it comes down to approaching the people who make the policies, well....sometimes I do, and sometimes it isn't worth the hassle.

    I laughed when I reread my comment to you about talking to the artists this weekend. Instead of interaction, I talked about the inaction of artists. Ha. Freudian slip? I hope not.

    So nice to know I am still an idiot, but in a nice way. *laugh* Sort of like the adorable goofball. Well, the joke's on you 'cause you were probably never told that when you throw money in the water and make a wish, your wish comes TRUE. So there, smartypants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are the cutest Canadian goofball that I know. Tomorrow morning I'll throw a penny in the rain barrel in your honor and wish for something good so I can put your theory to the test.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!