Monday, August 15, 2016

Domestic Monday ~ 8/15/16



I had a hard time falling asleep last night and the I had weird dreams but at least I didn't feel overly tired when the alarm rang.

It is darn humid here today, oh my word;  I guess I'll be using the dryer again.

It is now almost 9 a.m. and I haven't done anything yet today save the usual early morning tasks and trying to earn Swagbucks. Yes, I know the Team Challenge starts this afternoon but I need to get that out of the way ASAP so this afternoon I can play my DVDs of LOCI (I found out that's the appropriate acronym for it!) on my laptop while I do other things.  Greg isn't home so I could play them on the TV but it's easier for me if everything is on my desktop and I don't have to fumble with remotes.

To Do List :
  • Crafty/Creative:
    • Finish painting squirrel sign and assemble it
    • Make a lightbox to take better pictures
    • Melt down old candles and make into one or two new candles
    • Make "No Soliciting" sign for front door and another one for the other front door (we have two)
  • Cleaning/Decluttering:
    • Dust the entry room, breezeway, bedrooms (including son's fan)
    • Declutter linen closet
    • Clean kitchen cabinets
    • Clean out the printer stand, including school paperwork folders
    • Declutter the top of the fridge
    • Mend items in mending basket (add Greg's hat)
    • Declutter exercise room (including storage bench)
    • Do the dishes - in progress
    • Vacuum living room
    • Sweep breezeway
    • Sweep and mop kitchen - Done
    • Sweep and mop downstairs bathroom
    • Spray bleach in shower stall
    • Scrub downstairs toilet
    • Fold laundry - in progress
    • Put laundry away
    • Make a car deodorant pad for my SUV
    • Clean the fridge
    • Do this week's laundry - Done
    • Wash both cat litter boxes
  • Cooking/Baking/Preserving:
    • Dehydrate pineapples 
    • Print menu  - Done
  • Entertainment
    • Plan an outing to Leu Botanical gardens or Bok Tower Gardens
  • Errands:
    • Take items to the dump
    • Take donations to thrift store
  • Gardening/outdoors:
    • Transplant ferns into bare patch in front lawn to make shady planter
    • Research cone flowers and their care and plant them somewhere - Transplanted them in larger pot.
    • Scrub patio pavers with bleach to remove mildew (this might have to wait until the months when it's not quite so hot!)
    • Fertilize the raspberries - I'm thinking about pulling them and putting more roses in pots in their place.
    • Add mulch to the vegetable garden - I will do this once I have replaced the broken self-watering bins
    • Pull unwanted plants from center "planter" in the backyard, add soil, plant flowers, add edging around it (watch out for large roots that would be in the way). Make planter with other materials if edging doesn't work. (this will have to wait until Fall when it's not so hot and when I can plant wildflower seeds).
    • Divide and repot the aloe plant
    • Plant more okra
    • Trim grass behind the hedge
    • Trim weeds alongside the berm
    • Find fish emulsion and use on plants
    • Spray water on the hibiscus for aphids and mealybugs
    • Pull the rest of the dead tomato plants 
    • Check on the passion flower vine
    • Check on the seedlings and water as needed (not needed today)
  • Health:
    • Call gyneco to make annual appointment
    • Use recumbent bike - Done
    • Do 5 min of strength exercises  
    • Log food into My Fitness Pal - Done
    • Record exercise in Walgreens Balance Rewards - Done
  • Maintenance:
    • See if I still have mildew-resistant white paint for bathroom ceiling
    • Get Greg to replace the ceiling tile in the entry room
    • Test the batteries in all 3 smoke detectors and replace as needed
    • Vacuum fridge coils
    • Vacuum AC vent in kitchen
    • Greg to call plumber
    • Wash the bathroom ceiling with bleached water
    • Remind Greg to re-secure chicken wire to AC unit and also to block off opening under front of the house
    • Plan on taking car for oil change this week or next
  • Technology/Paperwork:
    • Caption old pictures that have already been scanned
    • Scan more old pictures
    • Create spreadsheet to track IRA contributions using ALL our old tax returns - Started but need to do more research.
    • Figure out if we should contribute to regular  or Roth IRAs for 2016 and fund them - I guess I need to wait until tax time next year, actually. I'll have until April 15, 2017 to fund 2016 IRAs so I need to work on taxes way sooner than I did this year so I'd have time to fund the IRAs and THEN file my taxes.
    • Download all May-July photos to my external drive
    • Back up my external drive to my other external drive
    • File the remaining loose recipes that I organized already in appropriate recipe binders
    • Purge filing cabinet
    • File paperwork
    • Write new letter to great grand aunt
    • Look at sample ballot and research local candidates
    • Connect the Ethernet Switch to the router - Done
    • Reconnect my External Drive  - Done
    • Fill out NetGear rebate  - Done
    • Back up my laptop  - Done
    • Remove daughter's pc from her room and decide what to do with it
    • Mail package (Wednesday)
    • Mail rebate - Done


FRUGAL SUCCESSES
  • Brewed a pot of free coffee from Wawa.

  • Packed a lunch for Greg: the rest of the pulled pork with a chunk of baguette bought on 50% clearance a week ago (it's still soft!), 2 hard-boiled eggs, a Core Power protein chocolate smoothie that I had gotten for free from RaceTrac, and a yogurt.

  • My son packed a lunch to take to school.

  • I earned my first daily goal for Swagbucks because I was able to take a 60 SB survey. I'm going to take a break from it until tonight, when I'll try to earn some team points so Mia doesn't get mad at me since we're on the same team, LOL. Note: I tried earning team points this afternoon but I doubt I'll reach the 400 SB needed to qualify for the prize since so many activities have to be accomplished via apps.

  • I did one "super" load of laundry and used vinegar as softener.  I cut a sheet of fabric softener in half as I will dry Greg's clothes in the dryer but I will hang mine to dry indoors on my Ikea rack(s).

  • I got very sidetracked and frustrated by technology this morning as I decided to connect the "plug and play" ethernet switch that I had bought from Amazon and that came in last week since my new Google OnHub router only has 2 ethernet ports and I needed 3 to connect my external wi-fi external drive so I could keep on backing up my PC and also access all my photos!  So the switch is "plug and play" alright but I had to get on all fours and find a free outlet for the power supply (didn't realize that I'd have to plug it in, great. I paid a lot of money for a router that can't freaking have more than 2 ports, I have to buy a switch to complement it (note: it didn't come with any ethernet cables so good thing I kept the old router with its cable so I could reuse that cable as I needed 3 of them!), and now we have to pay for more electricity to achieve what the previous set-up was with 1 fewer devices on Greg's desk and using less energy!  Grrr.).  I had connected the cable from the modem to the router in the wrong port on the router, apparently but thankfully the OnHub app Help section helped me figure this out.  But then my external drive wasn't detected by my laptop so I decided to reboot the laptop. Well, I had problems with it last night and Windows had to repair itself.  When I went to restart it after powering it down this morning, it took for-e-ver to come back up and frankly I thought it was bricked!  Arrgh. But finally it came back online and now my laptop is being backed up and as soon as that is done I'll be able to access my old photos and everyone in the house has wifi again and yay.  But all of that took an hour.  To install a "plug and play" device.  Arrgh.

  • I filled out the rebate form for the ethernet switch, so I should get $10 back at some point.

  • I earned a Swagbucks Search award that put me within 4 SB of my 2nd daily goal so I restarted Ngage and Jun Group videos so I could reach my 2nd goal and call it a day!

  • I hung my clothes out to dry in the entry room, along with the washing cloths, cloth napkins, and exercise clothes.

  • I had forgotten to drain my cast iron pan of the hamburger grease last night, while it was still liquid. So today I used a Publix ad to scrape the congealed grease off it and throw it away. I did have to use a paper towel to get the last bit of it but at least I didn't use 1/4 roll of paper towels as I used to do in the past!

  • I noticed that my son emptied a cat litter jug last night and set it aside for me to reuse to store water. I checked the rain barrel and it's about 9/10th full.

  • My son had finished a box of cereal this morning and set it aside for me to recycle but had thrown away the inner bag. Since the trash bag was empty aside from that, I fished it out and will wash it to reuse it, along with the bag from the box of Special K that my daughter finished yesterday.

  • My daughter went running in our neighborhood for free exercise since she doesn't want a new membership to the gym.

  • I printed a couple of coupons that Kellogg's had emailed me, without any problems, via Chrome.

  • But then I had to go to Firefox to print more coupons from the Kellogg's website as they use the Coupons.com engine with no longer works with Chrome.  

  • I uploaded a new offer to MobiSave.

  • I called the School District Transportation Department to make sure that the school bus will indeed stop near our house tomorrow morning since usually no one takes the bus there, They said they would warn the bus driver to make sure to stop. 

  • I exercised for free at home by using my recumbent bike while watching a LOCI DVD borrowed from the library.

  • I earned the daily Bing Rewards credits.

  • I renewed an e-book from the library via OverDrive.

  • I entered my exercise into Walgreens' Balance Rewards for Healthy Choices and earned 140 BR points.

  • I reused water from boiling some eggs this afternoon to water the strawberry plants.

  • For dinner I cooked tuna patties, couscous (using some Better Than Bouillon Beef soup base), and canned peas. I served slices of bread too (baguettes bought on 50% clearance last week).


SPLURGES
  • Gas to drive my son to school in the morning.

  • The new ethernet switch comes with a power adaptor so we'll be using more energy from now on. Lovely.

  • Water for some of the potted plants outside.  I wanted to use the hose since it's faster than using the jugs.


FAILURES
  • The gallon of skim milk bought on clearance that I defrosted this weekend already smells "off", I need to stop buying the gallons on clearance and just get the quarts.  I'm probably going to have to dump it because I just don't have a need for a lot of watery sour milk!

  • I had to throw away a hard-boiled egg that had spoiled in the fridge.

CHORES
  • Cooked Greg's breakfast
  • Packed his lunch
  • Took my son to school
  • Mailed a rebate
  • Earned enough SB to reach my first daily goal
  • Did the laundry
  • Pour bleach down the upstairs toilet bowl
  • Poured Drano down the kitchen sink for maintenance
  • Refilled bleach bottle with cheap bleach from Dollar Tree
  • Made the beds
  • Installed new ethernet switch
  • Reconnected external drive
  • Rebooted my laptop
  • Backed up my laptop
  • Filled out rebate form
  • Earned enough SB for my 2nd daily goal
  • Hung my clothes out to dry/put Greg's clothes in dryer
  • Did a load of dishes
  • Ran dehumidifier in main bathroom
  • Called the School Bus Transportation Department
  • Exercised
  • Boiled eggs
  • Brewed iced tea
  • Looked for the report cards that daughter needed
  • Folded last week's laundry and the laundry from the dryer 
  • Left voicemail for high school guidance counselor
  • Printed weekly menu
  • Swept and spot-mopped the kitchen
  • Watered some potted plants
  • Pulled weeds
  • Cooked dinner
  • Signed school paperwork for son and made copies of it
  • Collected the trash throughout the house and took the large bin down to the curb for collection
  • Pulled more weeds
  • Took a shower so I can skip one tomorrow morning and sleep a little longer


HEALTH
  • I'm crampy today which is going to be good for my appetite because usually menstrual cramps don't make me hungry, but will be challenging when I have to get on the recumbent bike.

  • I didn't get on the bike until noon, but I got on it, and biked a little over 7 miles.

  • I logged my food into My Fitness Pal.
My lunch


GRATITUDE
  • For the kind comments about my pictures from all of you :)
  • For a free sample received in the mail that I didn't request
  • For a cloudy afternoon so I could pull some weeds and not roast in the process
How was your Monday?  Did you get a lot accomplished?

10 comments:

  1. You got a lot done! Look at that chore list of all what you accomplished! Well done! Compared to you, I got hardly anything done! I did watch a lot of Olympics, though! :D

    Hope all goes well with Greg's visit to his parents. Hope you have a good day, tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gifting you all my Olympics watching hours so feel free to watch some more as I'm not, lol.

      I barely did anything today, though. Greg made it there OK, I'm waiting to talk to him tonight to get his take on things. I do know that his dad's next doctor's appointment is a week from today and he definitely wants to be there for that.

      I hope you had a good day today and were able to stay cool!

      Delete
  2. Bliley seven miles well done you that's great and well done for logging your food. I'll go over and have a look xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last couple of nights I still had about 300 calories to eat so I had a small piece of pie each time but I didn't bother logging it in.

      It was 7 easy miles, I didn't pedal very hard. lol. But I did today and I was able to make it to 9.24 miles!

      Delete
  3. Did I accomplish much this Domestic Monday? Heck no. I read my emails and slept my life away. I was recuperating from the weekend. I will use just any old excuse.

    On the other hand, I am so impressed with everything that you managed to get done. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you had "Recuperation Monday", which is a post-requisite of any good vacation/trip!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you had a pretty productive day. Yeah, for clouds. They can make all the difference on these hot and humid days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's really true! I wish those clouds would bring some rain but then I look at Louisiana and tell myself "careful what you wish for".

      Delete
  5. Mondays are usually extra busy at work, so I make a point of being extra lazy when I get home. LOL. Sometimes I tell myself if I just did 20 minutes worth of housecleaning every evening, I wouldn't have the Saturday morning cleaning marathon. But somehow it never works out that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of your balancing your extra busy work with extra laziness at home, lol. Although, I think it's just called "resting", you know.

      I don't know that 20 minutes a day would make a huge dent. What really irks me about housework is that as soon as I'm done with a task, I have to do it all over again. Done all the dishes? Well, here comes hubby or son with their cereal bowl or snack plate because I swear they eat all the darn time! Swept the kitchen? The cats decide to shed some more hair. Ugh. It all feels so... pointless!

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!