Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Grocery Shopping This Week



Wednesday is my main shopping day. My official 2016 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (usually for 2 adults, 2 teens but my daughter is still in California) but I really aim to spend $50 or less. 

Let's see how I did!

Budget for the week: $100.00
Total OOP: $45.51
Rebates expected: $1.25
Total spent after rebates: $44.26  WOOHOO!
Money left in budget: $55.74


Baking Supplies: $1.98 OOP

  1. I made a special trip to SAL on Monday to take advantage of this daily promotion.
  • (2) 4-lb bags sugar (Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.99 each = $1.98

Beverages: $0.00 OOP

  1. I had a freebie to redeem by today and since Sodapalooza is over, Greg is going through withdrawal, so I got him a Diet Dr. Pepper. It was supposed to be a medium drinks but since they were out of medium cups, the manager told me to get a large. Woohoo!
  • Large Diet Dr. Pepper (RaceTrac), free with monthly "Prince of Pastries" coupon in RaceTrac app.


Breads/Baked Goods: $1.70 OOP
  1. Free bread?!  I'm SO there :)  
  • (1) loaf white bread (Aldi) @ $0.85
  • (1) 8-ct hamburger buns (Aldi) @ $0.85
  • (2) packages mini naans (Publix), on BOGO sale @ $2.99 minus BOGO coupon = FREE
  • (2) packages naans  (Publix), on BOGO sale @ $2.99 minus BOGO coupon = FREE


 Cereals: -$1.00 OOP
  • (2) boxes Tiny Toast cereal (Publix), on sale @ $2.00 each, minus (2) $1.00/1 printable coupons = $2.00 but FREE with Publix gift card won in an Instant Win Game and will get $1.00 back from SavingStar so eventual MONEY MAKER.
  • (2) boxes Special K cereal (CVS), on sale @ $1.99 each = $3.98, minus $1.00/2 printable coupon, minus $2.00 ExtraCare Bucks from previous purchase = $0.98 but FREE with CVS gift card earned via American Express Rewards

Dairy: $0.94 OOP
  1. Aldi had their Fit & Active yogurt on sale this week, but free yogurt from Publix was a better deal:)
  2. The imported cheeses were on BOGO at Publix, which made them a slightly better deal than the brie from Aldi and since I'm baking crusty boule bread this week, I treated myself to some cheese.
  3. The milkshake will make a tasty addition for Greg's lunchbox this week
  • (4) 4-ct packages Activia Fruit Frusion yogurts (Publix), on BOGO sale @ $3.00 minus (2) BOGO coupons = FREE
  • (2) rounds imported cheese (Publix), on BOGO sale @ $4.99 but FREE with Publix gift card won in an Instant Win Game
  • (1) gallon whole milk (CVS), on sale @ $2.79 but FREE with CVS gift card earned via American Express Rewards and will get $0.25 back from Ibotta so eventual MONEYMAKER
  • (1) 16-oz container light sour cream (Aldi) @ $1.19
  • (1) container Core Power protein milkshake (RaceTrac) FREE after Sodapalooza coupon

Dry/Pantry/Freezer Goods: $14.54 OOP 
  1. Greg's favorite peanut butter is the crunchy kind but Aldi doesn't stock it all the time so when I find it, I stock up :)
  2. I'm almost out of stevia sweetener and I don't have any good coupons for the national brands so I decided to try the Aldi brand.
  3. I thought I was out of salsa so I grabbed a jar on impulse, but I already had one in the pantry.  Doh.
  • (4) 40-oz crunchy peanut butter (Aldi) @ $2.69 = $10.76
  • (1) 24-oz jar mild salsa (Aldi) @ $1.89
  • (1) 40-ct box stevia sweetener (Aldi) @ $1.89
Produce/Juice: $8.67

  1. I tried to buy less fruit this week but I couldn't resist good sales!
  2. I hated paying $1.39 for the celery, but I needed it for the potato salad I plan on making this week and all of mine is frozen. I'll also eat some with the Veggie Ranch dip that I'm finishing.
  3. I didn't buy any other vegetables because I need to use up what is in my fridge and I also have a lot of frozen and canned vegetables.
  • 2.14 lbs cherries (Save A Lot), on clearance @ $0.50/lb = $1.07
  • 3 ears of corn (Save A Lot), at 3 for $1.00
  • 1 cantaloupe (Save A Lot)on sale @ $0.97 and received $1.00 back for chili powder bought last week = MINUS $0.03
  • 3 lbs Golden Delicious apples (Aldi), FREE in compensation for bad cantaloupe bought last week.
  • 1 can pear slices (Aldi) @ $0.89
  • 2.86 lbs bananas (Aldi), on sale @ $0.29/lb = $0.83
  • 1 sleeve celery (Aldi) @ $1.39
  • 3 plantains (Aldi) @ $0.10 each = $0.30
  • 2 lbs red grapes (Aldi), on sale @ $0.79/lb = $1.58
  • 4 plums (Aldi), on sale @ $0.25 each = $1.00
  • 1 lb kiwis (Aldi), on sale @ $0.89 and got $0.25 back from Checkout 51 = $0.64


Proteins: $8.67 OOP

  1. The limit on the eggs was 6 dozens but I only had room for 4 in my fridge :(
  2. The tuna was to restock my pantry. Greg likes having it for snack sometimes, and on nights when I don't feel like cooking anything elaborate, 4 cans turned into tuna patties is a tasty dinner.
  • 1 medium cheese pizza (Save A Lot), on 50% clearance @ $2.75
  • 4 cans tuna in water (Aldi) @ $0.69 each = $2.76
  • 4 dozens eggs (Aldi), on sale @ $0.79 each = $3.16
  • 1 Chicken Monterey hot roller grill item (RaceTrac), FREE with Sodapalooza coupon (not pictured)

Snacks: $8.76 OOP

  1. Pies on clearance?  I don't have to bake?  Yes, please!
  2. The muffin is for my breakfast tomorrow
  • 1 cherry pie (Save A Lot), on 50% off clearance @ $1.99
  • 1 apple pie and 1 blueberry pie (Save A Lot), on 50% off clearance @ $1.65 each = $3.30
  • 1 box Swiss rolls (Aldi) @ $1.29
  • 1 package peanut butter crackers (Aldi) @ $0.89
  • 1 bag pretzel sticks (Aldi) @ $1.29
  • 1 Jumbo Blueberry muffin (RaceTrac), FREE with survey reward code
Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week?  Please link up or share your finds in the comments :)

11 comments:

  1. I'm having a hard time getting my act together to post this week (getting ready for vacation, endless little things to take care of before school starts, etc) but I also hit Aldi today. You got a great deal on the plantains! I have a few that are almost ripe, so I'm looking forward to making them tomorrow evening for dinner, with black beans and rice. I also picked up a container of the crunchy PB -- Michael favorite, I prefer creamy.

    I didn't do too badly on my weekly total, although I did splurge a bit at Publix today on treats for Michael. He hasn't been able to get the time off for vacation, so he'll be hanging out here with the cats. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Laura, I was just thinking about you a little bit ago and thinking that maybe you had already left for your vacation since you had been so quiet!

      I'm sorry to hear Michael couldn't get the time off... but that works out for the cats, right? What would you have done otherwise? I would imagine that with 6 of them, it'd be cheaper to have a friend or neighbor to come check on them every couple of days. My kids would love to do that if we lived closer, lol.

      I was surprised to see such a good price on the plantains, I'm thinking it must have been a manager's special. I bought 3 of them but I'm the only one who eats them. Black beans and rice sounds like a great accompaniement for them, thanks!

      I'm working my way down the blog list on Feedly so I'll be reading your latest entry shortly!

      Have a great rest of your week, Laura. Did you ever get your AC fixed, btw?

      Delete
    2. We did get our AC fixed, what a relief! Unfortunately during that whole sage we realized there was some wood rot on the back of the house so now we're working on getting that fixed as well. Plus we decided to treat for termites (actually we were concerned that the rot could be related to termites, but happily we are good there), so we're spending a bit on our home this summer!

      When we both vacation, we have a friend who stops by everyday to check on the cats. We have one cat who needs daily medication but who does horribly when boarded, so this has been the best solution. It's a lot cheaper, too, although we do compensate our friend!

      Delete
  2. You did great! You came under your $50/week goal! Yay! And look at all those free items you got!

    I haven't gone grocery shopping yet. Eggs are on sale for $.99/doz., but I need to finish the ones I have before buying any more. Unsalted butter is on sale for $2/lb., but I prefer salted butter and I have some unsalted butter in the freezer. Mangoes are on sale for $.50 each; might get some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be adding the butter to my weekly total tomorrow but I do have room in my budget for it so I'm happy :)

      I like salted butter on toast! I have some unsalted butter in the freezer but I think I only have 1 lb left. I might stop by Save A Lot twice (once on my way in to town and once on my way out) so I can get 2 lbs each time :) I love mangoes! 50 cents is a great price. I sometimes see them for 3 for $1.00 but those promotions tend to be for the smaller mangoes so it's not such a great deal after all. I still have the 2 mangoes I bought last week but one has started to spoil. I was going to cut it up and eat it at dinnertime but I completely forgot about it! I'll eat it tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. Awesome week!!! When I saw your post, I thought..of this must be last week. Umm, I didn't know it was Wednesday already! I am lost on time this summer!! I got celery last trip to Aldi and it was $1.49. I was upset that it was so expensive...I was about to put it back but I knew we needed it to. I used it right after getting it but totally understand. Got excited by your eggs so I went to look at the specials and we have them too!! I still have a dozen eggs but as soon as I say that then the price skyrockets and that is an amazing price. I am going to have to go get eggs, carrots, bananas, and lunch meat. UGH!! Now I have to make it to the store!!! Thanks for the kick in the pants! I also need to get some salsa because I thought I had some and don't...you must have bought mine :) LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too funny :) I remember not knowing what day of the week it was during the summer when I would shop whenever we needed something, which was almost every day. Nowadays, I'm much more conscious of the calendar, what with Domestic Monday and all that jazz :)

      Delete
    2. LOL!! Made it to the store and got all the things on the list. Turkey price was posted incorrectly but rang on sale so I was going to get two but didn't think that the price was changed. I forgot to add cheese!!! UGH!! Anyway, made it in between all the activities for my son and still made it to the bank while he was in the library program. Mission accomplished...even though nothing is done on my list yet. Gotta to get to work now :)

      Delete
    3. In 30 years here, I think I've set foot in a bank maybe twice. So I'm curious... what do you do, at the bank?!

      Delete
  4. You not only came in under budget, you came in under your "frugal...let's aim for less" budget. That is so awesome. And all those freebies. You are too good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good shopping day, indeed!

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!