Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Grocery Shopping This Week



Wednesday is my main shopping day. My official 2016 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) but I really aim to spend $50 or less.

This week was very easier because:
  • I did not need a lot of things: we still had almost 2 loaves of bread (how did that happen?!), yogurt, apples, lots of meat, etc.
  • I didn't want to be gone for a long time because of the kittens,  so I just shopped at 2 stores.
  • I remembered that I had some money left on the Publix gift card that I had won in a sweepstakes earlier this year.
This shopping trip counts as part of the September food budget since most of this will be consumed in September.

Let's see how I did!

Budget for the week: $100.00
Total OOP: $25.34
Rebates expected: $0.00
Total spent after rebates: $25.34
Money left in budget: $74.66


Baking Supplies: $3.08 OOP


  1. These 2 items are for my daughter's 18th birthday celebration. She asked me for chocolate-filled Hershey cupcakes. I already have the cake mix.

  • 1 can chocolate frosting (Save A Lot) @ $1.49
  • 1 large Hershey bar (Save A Lot) @ $1.59

Beverages: $0.00 OOP

  1. Not a great price but not a bad one either. I had hoped to find a coupon but there weren't any.  I would have bought more but those were the last 2 boxes and I forgot to stop by Customer Service and ask for a raincheck. Grrr.
  • 2 20-ct boxes Bigelow Mint Medley Herbal Tea (Publix), on BOGO sale @ $2.99 but FREE after Publix gift card won in a sweepstake.

Breads/Baked Goods: $0.00 OOP
  1. The (experienced) cashier looked and looked at the coupons and then told me she had to ask a manager because she didn't think I could use BOGO coupons with a BOGO sale. WTH? She's worked at Publix for several years! Of course Customer Service told her that yes, she was to accept the coupons. To her credit, she wasn't unpleasant and actually pushed the coupons through manually when they beeped by saying that they didn't match a sale in the register.
  • 4 packages of StoneFire naan bread (Publix), on BOGO sale @ $2.99, minus (2) BOGO coupons = FREE


 Cereals: $0.00 OOP
  • None needed

Dairy: $7.15 OOP
  1. Save A Lot accepted my milk coupon without any problems, woohoo! I'm not sure if 1 gallon, even stretched with milk, will be enough now that Greg is back and eating cereal for snack, but I have the UHT milk from Dollar Tree in my pantry too.
  2. I needed some cheese dip for a recipe that I'm making later on this week. I was going to buy one of those huge bricks of generic Velveeta cheese, but I only needed half of one and it was $4.99!  I spotted those jars nearby and that's all I needed  and was half price too!
  3. I should have left the American cheese slices at the store as we ended up having a whole unopened package in the fridge.  I should have checked before I left the house instead of just assuming that we were almost out.
  • 1 gallon whole milk (Save A Lot) @ $2.99, minus $1.00 manufacturer coupon = $1.99
  • 1 jar Salsa Con Queso (Save A Lot) @ $2.45
  • 1 package American cheese singles (Save A Lot) @ $1.79
  • 2 cups light yogurt (Save A Lot) @ $0.44 each = $0.88

Dry/Pantry/Freezer Goods: $0.00 OOP 
  • None needed
Produce/Juice: $9.88
  1. The Save A Lot weekly ad advertises the papaya for $0.69 EACH but there were disclaimers everywhere in the store stating that it was an error and it was $0.69/lb. Still a good price so I still bought 2 of them.
  2. The cashier rang up the bananas as if they had been on clearance, which they weren't. Awesome, thank you!
  3. I missed Aldi,though, as I paid $1.99 for only 2 Romaine hearts. I get 3 hearts at Aldi for the same price!
  4. The Save A Lot strawberries were on sale for $2.00 but they didn't look very good (bruised) so I spent a dollar more to buy them at Publix where they looked stupendous. However, they weren't Driscoll's so I couldn't use a coupon.
  5. I didn't buy more vegetables because I have some in the fridge and plenty in the freezer and canned ones too.
  • 2 Romaine hearts (Save A Lot) @ $1.99
  • 6 oz blueberries (Save A Lot) @ $2.50 and got $0.25 back from Checkout 51 = $2.25
  • 2.28 lbs bananas (Save A Lot), on clearance @ $0.29/lb = $0.66
  • 4.16 lbs papaya (Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.69/lb = $2.87
  • 2.15 lbs grapes (Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.98/lb = $2.11
  • 1 lb strawberries (Publix), on sale @ $3.00  but FREE after Publix gift card won in a sweepstake.


Proteins: $3.24 OOP

  1. I successfully resisted buying meat!  I did catch myself looking at the meat section at Save A Lot to see if I could spot clearance stickers, from afar, but I mentally slapped myself almost immediately.  I have absolutely NO room in the freezers!
  • 1 lb Buddig Black Forest Ham (Save A Lot) @ $3.99 minus $0.75/1 manufacturer coupon from insert = $3.24

Snacks: $1.99 OOP
  1. I bought the hazelnut spread at Save A Lot before I remembered that I had meant to redeem $2.00 off Nutella coupons at Publix!  At Publix the Nutella would have been only $1.59 after coupon... however, once there, I couldn't find my coupons so I couldn't even stock up!  I found them once I was at Walgreens, but I didn't want to go back to Publix today. They expire on 9/4 so if I have to go out again, I might stop by and get a couple of jars.
  2. The Biscoff is for my daughter's 18th birthday celebration. She asked for crepes. When we were in France last year, her favorites were the Spekuloos crepes, which is what Biscoff cookie butter is. I'm going to surprise her with it :) She's on a diet but you only turn 18 once in your life.
  • 1 13 oz jar hazelnut chocolate spread (Save A Lot) @ $1.99
  • 1 14 oz jar Biscoff cookie butter (Publix), on sale @ $3.99 but FREE after Publix gift card won in a sweepstake.

Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week?  Please link up or share your finds in the comments :)

6 comments:

  1. Yay, you resisted buying any meat! Well done! I'm so proud of you! LOL! You've got to eat down the freezer before you buy any more meat. That's what I'm telling myself, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you, Bless! Yes, let's eat down our freezers... although tonight I was so tired that I just cooked a vegetarian recipe.

      Delete
  2. Mmm the cupcakes sound very good. Is that 1 gallon of milk for a week? We buy about 6 Pints a day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have more kids at home than I do. Also I told them that drink was for breakfast and my coffee and that they're to drink water the rest of the day. That being said, we usually go through 2 gallons a week. I stretch the whole milk by mixing it 50/50 with water.

      Delete
  3. That was a great shop, especially since you also needed to buy the baking supplies for the birthday girl. What you saved on groceries this week will probably be "eaten up" by the kittens' expenses. I have already spent more than half of my month's budget in the first week, and I am not done yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always make the greatest puns:) I trust that you will do great this month again, Susan. You seem to tend to spend a lot upfront at the beginning of the month since you're restocking and buying your gift card(s) and then you don't spend that much at all.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!