Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Local Elections and Several Frustrations ~ Tuesday 8/30/16

You know how sometimes something that happens first thing in the morning sets the tone for the whole day?  Well, today I refuse to let that happen because right now, at 8:00 a.m., I feel frustrated and annoyed and this is NOT how I want to feel the rest of the day!

I didn't sleep well. I was exhausted, truly, and I went to bed at 10:45 p.m. Not bad, eh?  I woke up at least 4 times for various reasons. This morning, I'm exhausted.  I got up, put the half decaf/half caf to brew because I was too tired to even try to reach the can of fully caffeinated coffee up in the pantry, packed Greg's lunch, set out the items necessary to cook his breakfast, and then went back to sit in the dark in the living room, waiting for him to get up so I could cook his breakfast... a treat for him to have a hot breakfast since, when I was driving my son to school at the very beginning of the school year, I'd cook before leaving so his breakfast could be cold by the time he came down.

It occurred to me, while I was waiting, that yesterday I had unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher while my coffee was brewing, and that it had worked so well for me (not having that chore hanging over my head all morning), that I had decided to keep on doing the same thing every day. Only, I was too tired to get up again!  However, once Greg got in the shower, I went to cook his breakfast and then I did unload the dishwasher and did the dishes as he ate, a small victory over fatigue.  Yay me!

I reminded him that today was Local Election Day. He left for work, I went to sit down to start earning Swagbucks... then I heard him come back inside.  He went to vote but couldn't find his driver's license!  The last time he took it out of his wallet was at the TSA check at Columbus airport on Sunday morning so either they didn't give it back to him or he lost it at the airport. Great. He couldn't spare the time to go to the DL office to get a replacement today so I'm really hoping he doesn't get stopped by the police for whatever reason today!

I went online to check on the documents necessary for the replacement, made myself a list. I'll pull them for him later on today.  I also printed the application and filled most of it out for him, and emailed him the information about the office so he can call to make an appointment for tomorrow since he wanted to do it himself.  Renewing the DL online would take up to 10 business days. 

Meanwhile, I had earned an 11 SB search award on my laptop, which promptly froze, so the CAPCHA code expired and I wasn't able to cash in the SB.  I could feel my blood pressure rise with all those annoyances and, being a pessimist by nature, I started telling myself that this was going to be a crappy day.

But NO.  I'm not going to let it.  Greg will get his replacement driver's license tomorrow and once my computer unfroze, I took screenshots and contacted Swagbucks Customer Service to ask them to credit me anyway.

Today is going to be a splendid and productive day and I will have a great night tonight. So there!

Today is Local Election Day here in Lake County, Florida.  If you are having local elections today as well (I'm not sure if this is a national day of voting or not), make sure you DO vote in your local elections!  Sheriffs, school board members, judges, local amendments, all of those positions and issues have a direct impact on how you live YOUR life. Take a few minutes and do yourself a favor and express your opinions and concerns by voting.

So that storm? It's strengthening and coming pretty much straight at us, for now.  I'll be securing outdoor furniture and odds and ends come Thursday. Or maybe even tomorrow. Heck, I should get started today!

On to my To Do List!

To Do List
  • Crafty/Creative:
    • Finish painting squirrel sign and assemble it
    • Make a lightbox to take better pictures
    • Melt down old candles and make into one or two new candles - No, I've decided to just pitch them. I know it's not the frugal thing to do but I have a ton of candles to use up, still, and I really need to declutter the house. Update: I had second thoughts last night so for now they're sitting on top of my washing machine until I decide what to do with them!
    • Make "No Soliciting" sign for front door and another one for the other front door (we have two)
  • Cleaning/Decluttering:
    • Dust the bedrooms (including son's fan) - in progress
    • Declutter linen closet
    • Clean kitchen cabinets
    • Declutter the top of the fridge
    • Mend items in mending basket (add Greg's hat) - MONDAY
    • Declutter shelves over printer stand 
    • Declutter storage bench 
    • Declutter coffee table - in progress
    • Dust fan in exercise room
    • Clean the fridge
    • Declutter gardening supplies chest
    • Defrost the freezer
    • Sweep kitchen  - Done
    • Sweep entry room  - Done
    • Sweep breezeway
    • Vacuum living room
    • Vacuum exercise room
    • Sweep/vacuum downstairs bathroom
    • Vacuum master bedroom
    • Vacuum upstairs hallway
    • Vacuum main stairs
    • Do the dishes (Tuesday) - Done
    • Fold the laundry  - Done
    • Put the laundry away  - Done
    • Take the trash to the curb  - Done
  • Cooking/Baking/Preserving:
    • Make new menu for the week - Done
  • Entertainment
    • Plan an outing to Leu Botanical gardens or Bok Tower Gardens
    • Sign up for ranger hikes in local parks
  • Errands:
    • Take items to the dump
  • Gardening/outdoors:
    • Transplant ferns into bare patch in front lawn to make shady planter
    • Research cone flowers and their care and plant them somewhere - Transplanted them in larger pot.
    • Scrub patio pavers with bleach to remove mildew (this might have to wait until the months when it's not quite so hot!)
    • Fertilize the raspberries - I'm thinking about pulling them and putting more roses in pots in their place.
    • Add mulch to the vegetable garden - I will do this once I have replaced the broken self-watering bins
    • Pull unwanted plants from center "planter" in the backyard, add soil, plant flowers, add edging around it (watch out for large roots that would be in the way). Make planter with other materials if edging doesn't work. (this will have to wait until Fall when it's not so hot and when I can plant wildflower seeds).
    • Divide and repot the aloe plant
    • Plant more okra
    • Trim grass behind the hedge
    • Trim weeds alongside the berm
    • Find fish emulsion and use on plants
    • Pull the rest of the dead tomato plants 
    • Plant passion flower vine seeds
    • Add water to pepper bins
    • Refill green bird feeder
    • Pour weed killer on weeds on patio
    • Harvest the peanuts
    • Refill the hummingbird feeders
    • Replace batteries in solar lights in front of the house (need special batteries) - ordered the batteries, waiting for them to come in
    • Secure all outside loose objects and patio furniture in preparation for the storm (Thursday)
  • Health:
    • Call gyneco to make annual appointment - I'll do that once I'm more comfortable with my weight because I know they'll be nagging me about it anyway.
    • Use recumbent bike  - Done
    • Do 5 min of strength exercises  
    • Log food into My Fitness Pal  -Done
    • Record exercise in Walgreens Balance Rewards (in September)
    • Weigh myself (Wednesdays)
  • Maintenance:
    • See if I still have mildew-resistant white paint for bathroom ceiling
    • Get Greg to replace the ceiling tile in the entry room
    • Test the batteries in all 3 smoke detectors and replace as needed
    • Vacuum fridge coils
    • Greg to call plumber
    • Wash the bathroom ceiling with bleached water
    • Remind Greg to re-secure chicken wire to AC unit and also to block off opening under front of the house
    • Scrub mildew off front of the house (porch, behind bushes, front stairs)
    • Install white beadboard in laundry room (will need to measure and purchase)
    • Install new stick-on tiles in laundry room (will need to remove ancient ones first)
    • Paint laundry room cabinets
    • Get Greg to fix/remove rotten wood on front porch
    • Make a list of which outlets need to be replaced and call Duke Energy Homewire Protection to schedule appointment
    • Ask electrician for estimate on installing outlet on front porch
    • Ask Greg to make me new tiled table for electric roaster on front porch
    • Get on flat roof, sweep it, and clean out the front gutter
    • Ask Greg to install gutter screens on the front gutter
    • Have Greg block the opening in the back fence
  • Technology/Paperwork:
    • Caption old pictures that have already been scanned
    • Scan more old pictures
    • Create spreadsheet to track IRA contributions using ALL our old tax returns - Started but need to do more research.
    • Figure out if we should contribute to regular  or Roth IRAs for 2016 and fund them - I guess I need to wait until tax time next year, actually. I'll have until April 15, 2017 to fund 2016 IRAs so I need to work on taxes way sooner than I did this year so I'd have time to fund the IRAs and THEN file my taxes.
    • Download all May-July photos to my external drive - in progress
    • Back up my external drive to my other external drive
    • File the remaining loose recipes that I organized already in appropriate recipe binders
    • Purge filing cabinet upstairs
    • File paperwork
    • Write new letter to great grand aunt
    • Remove daughter's pc from her room and decide what to do with it
    • Complete August Food Expenses post -  in progress
    • Go through the genealogical material crate
    • Shred what needs to be shredded
    • Scan what needs to be scanned (if anything)
    • Work on shopping list - in progress
    • Work on photo album for daughter's birthday
    • Collect necessary documents for Greg's DL replacement  - Done

  • The coffee pot I brewed this morning was half free since I mixed a bag of free decaf coffee from Wawa (won in a sweepstake) with a bag of regular coffee.

  • My son packed a lunch for school.

  • As usual, he rode the school bus today.

  • I packed leftovers for Greg to take to work.

  • I unlocked the Healthy Offer of the Week in SavingStar (20% off loose tomatoes).

  • For breakfast, I sliced a brown banana into my bowl of Rice Crispers from Aldi. I also used some whole milk that I had stretched with water.

  • I walked to the voting precinct instead of driving.  Free exercise! It was about a mile all in all.

  • I noticed that my McDonald's app has 2 new coupons, one expiring today: a free large drink with any purchase and a free medium fries with any purchase. I won't use them. I wish they were valid tomorrow, I'd pick up a $1 cheeseburger for my son and get him some fries too when I got run my errands!

  • My daughter had trouble printing to our Wifi printer to I helped her by telling her to delete the printer from her devices and reinstall it. It worked. We don't know why her laptop keeps on having that problem every time she wants to print something, although I suspect that this time it was because I changed the router. I didn't have to reinstall the printer on my own laptop though, so I don't know why has to. But, it worked, that's the most important thing!

  • I used my son's PC to print 2 more BOGO coupons for the naan bread. It's still on BOGO through tomorrow at Publix so I hope to get 4 more packages for free tomorrow. I also printed another $1.50/1 coupon from Gold'n Plump. What? It's just in case I happen to have room in the freezer later on this month :)

  • Then I printed a couple of coupons from my own computer, via Firefox (and Swagbucks).

  • My lunch was the last of the Two-Bean Turkey Chili (made with 50% clearance turkey) from last week, with a mini naan (free from Publix), and half the papaya that I had bought last week ($0.99/lb at Save A Lot).

  • Swagbucks Customer Service credited me with the 80SB for the survey (see "Failures"), which propelled me beyond my 1st daily goal. Woo!

  • I put together a menu for the rest of the week using recipes that I had clipped recently, that will allow me to use up what I have in my fridge and pantry for the most part.

  • I found a jar of grape jelly in the recycling bin that someone had left them without washing it.  I was able to rescue a whole tablespoon of jelly from it!

  • Swagbucks Customer Service credited me with the 11SB Search Award that I had been unable to redeem.   I had just reached my 2nd Daily Goal but this helped anyway.  I also noticed that I had earned the 21-day Winning Streak, woohoo!

  • While I was working on my menu and catching up on some stuff online, I watched several episodes from the last DVD of Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Season 6 that I had borrowed from the library. The 7th season is waiting for me at the library so I will return Season 6 tomorrow when I run my errands and pick up the new one.

    • The American Cancer Society volunteer coordinator sent me the 45-minute orientation video this morning, so I will be watching that on my Kindle Fire while I use the recumbent bike. I have to confess that I really don't feel like exercising today, I'm tired.  I might not pedal very fast :)

    • I exercised anyway. However, the video link they had sent me wasn't for the 45 minute video, just for testimonials on YouTube. I watched a few of those. I was all set to sign up as a volunteer tonight when... this happened.

    • We had a storm and it poured. My garden will definitely be happier!
    Sky at about 4:30 p.m. By the time it was 4:50 (when we found the kittens), the whole sky was black.

    • I ate leftovers for dinner.

    • Gas for my daughter to drive to her college classes today.

    • Gas to drive to Petco (in the storm!) $40 in kitten care supplies: milk replacement formula, some nutritional gel that the guy at Petco who fostered kittens before "highly recommended" (in case they don't eat) and a couple of kitten feeding bottles.  I should have bought 3 though, so my daughter will go back tomorrow and get a 3rd one.

    • With the new kittens needing attention, I didn't get to cook dinner before Greg got home. So he stopped by Publix and got a fried chicken family combo meal for himself and our son, and a sub for my daughter. (I ate leftovers)
    • Greg lost his Driver's License so now he needs to go get a replacement.  The cost will be $31.25 plus the time spent doing that. Hopefully he can make an appointment and not have to stand in line too long. Update: he just ordered a replacement online.  It was $27 but now we have to wait about 10 business days to get it. I really hope he doesn't get stopped by the cops before then!

    • I don't think he's going to be able to vote since he was delayed this morning with the discovery of the missing driver's license and he had to leave for work immediately. I think the polls might be closed by the time he drives home tonight.  Update: he didn't get to vote :)

    • My computer froze at a very inopportune time, causing me to lose 11 SB that had been "won" in a Search on Swagbucks. I emailed Customer Service, asking for help.

    • Later on, and for the 3rd time in as many days, a Swagbucks survey that I completed wasn't credited to my account. GRRR. So I emailed Customer Service again.

    • I was unable to print coupons via Swagbucks from my son's printer. Coupons.com uses JAVA, which Chrome and Edge are blocking and I didn't want to dowload Firefox to his computer just for that. It's annoying because I was hoping to print more Activia BOGO coupons. I filled out feedback on their "help" page that doesn't help at all to ask them to work with the Chrome team and stop using JAVA since Chrome won't allow it anymore.

    • Well, we got 3 kittens. If they survive, this would bring us up to 6 cats... just like Laura.  Our pet budget will have to double.  This is scary, very scary. But when you look at those wittle kittens, you melt. However, I told my neighbor that next time he finds kittens, he needs to NOT knock on my door :)
    • Cooked Greg's breakfast
    • Packed his lunch
    • Researched necessary documents and fees for DL replacement
    • Emailed Greg with DL office info
    • Printed application for replacement and filled it out
    • Contacted SB Customer Service
    • Made my bed
    • Chased after New Kitty!
    • Took the large trash bin and the 3 yard waste bins down to the curb
    • Went to vote
    • Contacted SB Customer Service again
    • Helped my daughter with the printer issue
    • Collected the rest of the laundry that has finished drying
    • Printed some coupons
    • Folded the laundry
    • Put away the laundry
    • Made Greg's bed
    • Collected necessary documents for Greg's DL replacement
    • Exercised
    • Adopted new cats
    • Went to Petco to get kitten supplies
    • Tried to get the kittens to eat, pee and poop
    • Repeat

    • I walked to my voting precinct instead of driving.

    • I biked for 45 minutes (8.01 miles).

    • I input my food into MyFitnessPal and I am under my calorie goal at 9 p.m.

    • For the logs that distracted New Kitty.
    • For efficient Customer Service at Swagbucks, even though their survey process really stinks.
    • For the pictures that my brother sent me of his GF and my mom on the ferry to Corsica!
    • Not sure if I should be grateful for kittens or not. Probably not. They're cute, though :)

    So this is how it happened... I replied to a comment stating that I had done a lot yesterday and in my reply I bemoaned that I was still in my PJs at about 10 a.m.  So I decided to go get dressed. While I was upstairs, I looked out the landing window into the backyard and spotted a huge hawk perched on the back fence.

    So I went downstairs and grabbed my DSLR camera since my phone won't zoom that far. Also most of the windows are screened so you can't really take pictures out of them.

    I opened the sliding door just a little to fit the lens and take photos. The lens kept on getting fogged up and wouldn't zoom as far as my point and shoot so I went to get the point and shoot.New Kitty had been circling near the sliding door so I reopened it only a little bit and fit my lower leg in the opening so she wouldn't escape. I didn't want to go out on the patio so as not to scare the hawk away. I was taking pictures when I felt New Kitty jump over my lower leg and squeeze herself in the opening and then... it was off to the races!

    Unlike our other 2 cats who have been indoor cats all their life (well, Mean Kitty lived outside for the first couple of months of her life but now she's just lazy and afraid of everything), New Kitty was a feral cat for the first 6 months or so of her life. She wants to be outside. She's used to being outside. She RAN for the back of the yard. So I took off behind her, in my bare feet, running as fast as my sorry out-of-shape bottom would let me and yet trying not to scare her away because she was definitely running away from me.  I'm glad I had changed into my clothes because if I had worn my very loose PJs, I would have ended bare-bottomed in the back yard!

    The whole time I was chasing her (a few seconds), I was freaking out about what my son would say should I not be able to catch her or should the hawk get her!

    She could have gone left and into the yard where the huge dogs are or she could have turned right towards the hawk and the opening cut into the back fence for the roots of an ancient oak tree that has since them been taken down and which roots have rotten away. Note to self: we need to plug that hole, even though the fence isn't ours.  Our yard isn't fenced on the 3 other sides so she could have pretty much run forever.

    But she didn't. She was distracted by the logs on the ground behind the shed, just a couple of feet away from the back fence, and I was able to grab her then. You should have heard me... all sugar and sweets until I grabbed her, and then, I was MAD.  LOL. 10 minutes later, as I was texting Greg, my teeth were still clenched.  She is SO grounded.

    She is grounded. Can't you tell?!

    The whole time the hawk just sat there. I was able to grab my camera and sit on the patio and shoot away. Too bad he was so far that I had to use the digital zoom and it was humid so the lens is somewhat fogged up.  He flew off as I was typing a text to Greg so I missed him after that. Not 2 seconds after I noticed he was gone, a squirrel scampered into the yard. Dumb hawk. You missed a plump cat, a more than plump and out of breath housewife and a squirrel!

    We watched several videos on how to take care of newborn kittens and how to feed them.  It's harder than it looks and I feel like a brand new mom who doesn't know what she is doing. It is scary because I don't want them to die!  If I don't get a hang of it overnight, I might drive them to the closest shelter tomorrow to ask a volunteer to show me in person how to do it properly.

    There is a dark grey kitten, a light grey kitten, and a striped grey and black kitten.  The first two are 4.7 and 4.8 ounces. The last one is 5.5 oz!  I made them a nest in a box with towels to keep them warm and comfy and they've been sleeping nonstop since we collected them, 4.5 hours ago, apart from the two times when we tried feeding them without much success.  I know for a fact that one of them peed when I prodded them too because I saw it, but I'm not sure that the other two did.

    At about 7 p.m. the kids alerted me that the mother cat was at the tree and they had seen her climb into the tree.  So I took the box with the kittens and left it at the base of the tree because I figured that they probably would be better off with her.  However, my neighbor came out with his dogs at the same time (on his back patio, he didn't know the mother cat was there) and she ran off.  I was explaining to him that we felt that she should be given a chance to get her kittens back, but he pointed out that then there would be 3 more cats out there that weren't neutered or spayed.  Well OK then, but I'm not seeing you taking them in, lol!

    After seeing the hawk so close earlier today, and then the dogs and we do have loose dogs in the neighborhood from time to time as well, I was feeling really bad about leaving the newborn kittens all alone out there. So I brought them back inside.

    I have an alarm set to ring every 3 hours and I'll plan on sleeping on the couch so I don't wake up everyone by going up and down the stairs all night long.

    They ate a tiny bit at 8 p.m., although none of them actually seem to know to suck on the nipple so I'm not sure how much they ate. I need to keep a closer eye on the dosage. They should eat about 1 tsp per feeding, apparently.  They are feisty!  Even though their eyes are still closed, they protested loudly when we tried to feed them. Like little lions!

    Tomorrow I will not go shopping in the morning. I will stay home with the kittens and then go shopping once my daughter comes home at about noon.  Then she'll be on kitten duty while I go shopping.  Both kids offered to get up at night to feed the kittens, which I appreciated, but they have classes to attend and homework to do while... I don't.

    What would you have done if you had found newborn kittens outside your door and a huge storm was about to hit?


    1. You have a heart that is as big as the world, Nathalie; bless you. Hope your other cats will adjust well to the new kitties.

      By the way, New Kitty definitely looks like she's grounded in that picture! LOL.

      Sorry Greg lost his driver's license, but glad he found out before he really needed it.

      Good luck with taking care of the new kittens. Get as much rest as you can!

      1. We were disappointed in New Kitty that her motherly instinct didn't kick in... she came to inspect when she heard them cry as my daughter and I were attempting to feed them at 11 p.m. but she was spitting at them up a storm so we had to chase them away. She had had kittens of her own before we got her so I was surprised. That doesn't bode very well for when they're going to be ambulatory... if they make it that far. Which we hope they do!

    2. I will miss your updates while you care for the kittens. A friend of mine recently tried to save a baby squirrel that was in the same situation that your kittens were in meaning the mom rejected the baby. And un fortunately the baby didn't survive. I hope you do better and look forward to finding out more

      1. Ah you are sweet. I'm tired today but I'm able to keep up with the blog throughout the day because they spend a lot of time sleeping. However, once they start crawling (in a couple of weeks), I think they are going to keep me VERY busy, especially if I have to watch the other 3 cats with them. And there are so many nooks and crannies in this old house where they could hide themselves. The doors have a big gap at the bottom for air flow and we've never had quite such small kittens at home, so it'll be interesting and I might have to stop blogging so much then!

        How sad that the baby squirrel didn't survive. I would have been more pessimistic if we had found only 1 kitten, but with 3, they keep each other company and they can share body heat so I think that helps. One of them is actually already pretty active and agile, even with his eyes still closed. He almost escaped from the box today! At one week! That cat is probably going to be a trouble maker!

        I will post more pictures tonight and maybe even a short video of a feeding session.

    3. When I first adopted a really small kitten (few weeks old), I was told to keep it in an enclosed space like a bathroom, with the door closed, for a week or two, so that the kitten couldn't roam all over the house and only gradually introduce it to the rest of the house. If you can, keep the new kittens in a bathroom. Maybe put a folded towel against the bottom of the door, to prevent them from crawling out from the space under the door. And introduce them gradually to the other cats. Yes, they will hiss at the new kittens and even swipe at them - that's their way of showing the new comers who the bosses are and establishing the order of how things will be.

      1. Thank you! I read tonight that I should introduce the kittens to the other cats between 3 and 6 weeks of age. My son said that he read they should be in a carrier at first to keep them safe. I was planning on going to look for a portable playpen at the thrift store and stretch a sheet above the top so they can't escape? The only bathroom that would work is upstairs (we use the one downstairs all the time) but it's very very tiny. I couldn't fit a litter box in there. I think I might just put them in my bedroom, with a snake at the bottom of the door as you said.

    4. I thought you were still in your PJs when you first spotted the hawk and then ended up chasing New Kitty across the back yard. You will never hear of that happening to me because I am dressed before I leave my bedroom. I never want to be caught by surprise. And why would the hawk leave during all that commotion? It must have been a really good show.

      Yes, wasn't that a good thing that Greg discovered his missing license this morning. I once went for months without my license in my wallet and didn't realize it. I had taken it out and put it in with my passport on a trip. When I got home, I removed the passport and put it away in a safe place. I didn't realize I didn't have my license with me until the next time I needed my passport. And there it was. I just never missed it.

      Good luck with the kittens. They are so very young. Brucie was about 3 weeks old when we found him. His blue eyes were open and he was walking pretty well. Our biggest concern was keeping him warm and he had a host of health issues. Our vet wanted to put him down, but we wanted to try and save him. We almost lost him but he survived. I hope those little kittens have been with their mother long enough to have benefited from her antibodies. Your kids sound like they are really invested in their survival, and that is half the battle.

      1. It's a good thing you didn't miss your DL all this time! I rarely travel where I need my passport so it would have taken me years to find it!

        Two of the kittens still haven't pooped and really don't want to. You should hear them scream as I prod them. They sound like toddlers having a really bad tantrum in a supermarket on a Saturday afternoon. Oy! Part of me is wondering if I'm hurting them!

        Brucie was lucky that you fought to keep him alive! He's a big cat now!

    5. You have a big heart, taking in and taking care of kittens! We had a stray cat at my former job that gave birth to four kittens. We kept feeding the cat (she was extremely skittish), even named her, and kept looking for her kittens. By the time we found them, there were only three left. Then the mother cat disappeared, along with another young one. We suspected a coyote or raccoon. By then, the two kittens that were left were about three or four weeks old and two employees there adopted them.

      1. How cool that the co-workers adopted the remaining kittens! They have a way to make you rethink everything you had decided about having any or more cats, it's very insidious... I told Greg this morning that we need to find a way to trap the mother because next time she gets pregnant, she'll probably have her kittens in the same spot again and I am not taking any more kittens!

    6. Although I am deathly allergic to cats, I love furbabies!! I am also allergic to dogs (not as badly as I am cats), but I have two very spoiled rescued babies! You are my hero!!!! <3

      1. Aw, thanks Joy. I'm happy to report that they survived (and so did I!) and are thriving and driving me nuts right now with their antics but we love them so and couldn't imagine not having them. I'll admit (and you might have read comments here and there on my blog) that I'm not a dog person. I mean there are cute dogs and I used to have a couple of dogs (only one at a time though), but I'm definitely a cat person now :)

        I'm sorry that you're so allergic, that must be terrible! Have you developed an immunity to your own dogs? Kudos on the rescues, Joy! I'm sure your furbabies are very happy to be part of your family!

      2. My hubby was a cat guy when we met. He has sense became a dog person...he actually just loves animals, in general. I took 3 allergy shots a week for several years in order to help build immunity. I still have allergy issues, but our babies aren't going anywhere! We bathe them frequently, especially since they both sleep with us. Yes, 2 "healthy" adults and 70-80lb Labs in a Queen-size bed. lol I can't sleep without them, though! Glad to hear the furbabies that you saved are doing great!

      3. Oh my, Greg and I can't even share a queen size bed anymore without even animals with us so we just each have our own bedroom and he gets 1 kitten to sleep with him in the queen size bed while I gave 2 kittens with me in the twin, lol. I can't imagine how you sleep with 2 huge dogs unless you use them as pillow, hahaha.

        My sister also had allergies so bad she had to have the shots when she was a tween, but I was already out of the house and living in the USA (she's 11 years younger than me) so I don't think I ever got all the details and I don't know what it was that she was allergic to, come to think of it. Apparently now she's fine.

        I'm glad you've overcome yours too.


    Anything you'd like to add? Share away!