Tuesday, August 30, 2016

On "Diaper" and Feeding Duty... Be Back Soon!

So,,,  I might not be very active here for a few days until I can wrap my head around what I'm doing... short version: our neighbor discovered 2 new kittens in between our driveway. A storm was about to start, the mother was nowhere to be seen, the neighbor wanted to know if I knew of a no-kill shelter. The kids and I took a look at them, went "awwww!" and took them in.  My son and I drove to Petco while mm daughter stayed with them and researched what we needed; the neighbor called me: he had found a 3rd one.  It was in the tree above where he had found the other two.  The other two must have fallen or the mother was about to go put them in the tree or something... so I told him to bring it to my daughter.

So we have 3 more cats.  They're about a week old at the most. Their eyes are closed. I'm trying to feed them but for now it's not working too well. We're watching YouTube videos from experts to see what we might be doing wrong.

I'm going to have to feed them every 1-2 hours for 4 weeks, including at night, of course. If I thought I was tired before... plus you have to burp them and stimulate them to pee and poop like the mom would.  Lots to learn!  I hope they survive.  The vet's office said not to bring them in until they're at least 2 weeks old so I'll call them again next week.

What a day!

So I don't know when I'll be back in this space. Might be tonight, might be in 4 weeks.

Talk to you all soon!



6 comments:

  1. Good luck! You have a big job ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's actually a much bigger job than I had realized. I just hope they survive. I warned the kids not to get too attached but they're so cute and helpless...

      Delete
  2. Aw...but a lot of work, Nathalie. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, they are going to need it! They seem comfy, they sleep a lot, but they don't eat very well, at least not according to what I've been reading on various articles. I increased the feeding time to every 3-4 hours and the striped one ate very well at 3 a.m. but wouldn't eat at all at 6:30 a.m. I'll weigh them tonight (24 hours) to make sure they're not losing weight.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yeah, me too. I told the kids not to get too attached but I'm going to be a basket case if something happens to them.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!