Wednesday is my main shopping day. My official 2016 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) but I really aim to spend $50 or less.
This week was the first shopping trip that counts for October since most of my week will take place in that month and thus will be consumed then. Greg is still away at his parents and we don't know when he's coming back, and I decided to buy few things this week. However this plan was derailed when I saw the excellent Cartwheel offer for fresh chicken at SuperTarget, a great combination of sales, store and manufacturer coupons and ECBs on cereal at CVS, butternut squashes at Aldi, and when Save A Lot finally got pumpkins! Still, with the help of my CVS gift card and some restraint, I think I did OK :)
Let's see how I did!
Budget for the week: $100.00
Total OOP: $29.10
Money left in budget: $70.90
Baking Supplies: $0.00 OOP
- None needed
Beverages: $0.00 OOP
- None needed
Breads/Baked Goods: $0.75 OOP
- 1 loaf white bread (Aldi) @ $0.85 and received $0.10 back from MobiSave so $0.75
- 1 box Crispy Rice (Aldi) @ $1.39
- 2 boxes Lucky Charms, 2 boxes Reese's Puffs and 2 boxes Cookie Crisp (CVS), on sale @ $1.99 each, minus $1.00/3 digital store coupon, $3.00 in manufacturer coupons and $1.50 redemption of ECB from previous trip = $6.44 but FREE thanks to my CVS gift card, earned via our Amex Rewards program. I also received $0.25 back from Ibotta, $1.50 back from Checkout 51 and I will receive $1.50 back from SavingStar so $3.25 MONEYMAKER!
Dairy: $1.34 OOP
- 1 gallon whole milk (CVS), on sale @ $2.79 but FREE thanks to my CVS gift card, earned via our Amex Rewards program, and received $0.10 back from MobiSave and $0.25 back from Ibotta so $0.35 MONEYMAKER.
- 1 package American cheese slices (Aldi) @ $1.69
- None needed
- The pumpkins are being used as indoor seasonal decorations right now and eventually will be cooked, puréed, frozen, and turned into pumpkin bread and pumpkin soup.
- The butternut squashes will last forever on my kitchen counter but eventually will be turned into delicious butternut squash soup.
- I decided not to buy any berries this week as the Target strawberries that were on sale weren't Driscoll's and the raspberries were too expensive.
- I still had corn on the cob in my fridge and I have frozen and canned vegetables so I restrained on buying too much.
- 2.09 lbs bananas (Target), on sale @ $0.57/lb, minus 25% Cartwheel offer and the 10 cent credit for using 2 bags. Then I received $0.10 back from MobiSave and $0.25 back from Ibotta = $0.44
- 7.42 lbs butternut squash (Aldi) @ $1.69 each squash (I bought 2) = $3.38
- 6 lbs gala apples (Aldi) on sale at $1.69 each 3-lb bag = $3.38 and received $0.10 back from MobiSave = $3.28
- 1 cucumber (Aldi) @ $0.59 and received $0.25 back from Checkout 51 = $0.34
- 4 lbs grapes (Aldi), on sale @ $0.79/lb = $3.16
- 1 bag spinach (Aldi) @ $1.79
- 2 pumpkins (Save A Lot), on sale @ $2.99 each = $5.98
- The ground chicken wasn't on my list but it was a good price after all discounts and coupons. I froze 3 packages and the 4th was turned into chicken burgers that we had last night for dinner.
- My son is welcoming bologna for his lunches. He loves that stuff (ugh, gross!).
- 1 package bologna (Aldi) @ $0.95
- 4 packages Gold'n Plump ground chicken (Target) @ $3.99 each, minus 40% Cartwheel offer, minus (4) $1.50/1 coupons from Gold'n Plump e-club = $0.89 each so $3.56
- 1 lb Black Forest turkey (Aldi) @ $3.49
Snacks: $2.50 OOP
- The milk chocolate bar is what my daughter bought herself when I told her she could charge a snack when she stopped by Aldi for me to get the turkey that I had forgotten to buy :)
- I resisted asking the cashier for a 50% discount on baked goods at Save A Lot when their sell-by date warranted it. Instead I left them for other customers since I have pumpkin bread in the freezer and I also need to bake banana muffins with the brown bananas that I have at home.
- 1 bar Chocoeur milk chocolate (Aldi) @ $1.81 after tax
- 1 bag oyster crackers (Aldi) @ $0.69
Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week? Please link up or share your finds in the comments :)