Thursday, September 8, 2016

Begging Kittens to Poop! ~ Thursday 9/8/16



If it weren't for the fact that yesterday was my official Shopping Day and that I can use that as a reference point, I wouldn't know what day today is... all the days are blending into another now.  I love the kittens yet taking care of them has completely destroyed me!  I wake up in a daze, thinking "I need to feed the kittens! I hope they'll poop!" every single day.  It kind of reminds me of when I got burned out on Swagbucks earlier this year because it really became a non-enjoyable chore after a while.

But in fact I do enjoy the kittens tremendously and there is light at the end of the tunnel since they're about 2 weeks old and in just another 2 weeks they should start getting their teeth, eating wet and then dry cat food, finally be able to pee and poop on their own... freedom!  Well, not so much since I'll have to be running after them, kitten-proofing the house, making sure the older cats don't hurt them... yeah, I'll bet you that at that point I'll be longing for the "Groundhog Days", lol!

Speaking of poop, though, I'm obsessed with it.  Striped kitten hasn't pooped since 10 a.m. Tuesday morning. That's not good at all!  Here we are, a week after I took them to the vet's in a panic because they hadn't pooped yet and we changed their diet, which worked for the most part, and now we're back at square one!  I've decreased the interval during the feedings so they get more liquid (I even woke up at 1:30 and 4:00 a.m. to feed them last night), and I've given him mineral oil this morning too, we'll see if that produces results.  Arrgh.  If there's still no poop by tomorrow morning, I'm calling the vet again.

Today I need to run some errands again.  I noticed that we're low on kitten formula so I'll just go to Tractor Supply Co. and get the smaller can of KMR. It's a different brand from the one I bought but the main brand of kitty formula so it should be OK.  I also need more Pedialyte so I'll go to Publix. I need to look at the IHeartPublix posts regarding this week's deals to see if there's anything worth buying while I'm there.  And since I'll be out and about, I'll stop by RaceTrac to get more free soda refills for myself and my son.

Greg didn't sleep well last night. He said he woke up at 3:30 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep. I'm sure it's due to anxiety about his dad, poor guy. He's not very talkative in the morning and I was tired too so we didn't chat. Plus I was busy cooking his breakfast and feeding the kittens and fretting about the poop situation.  He drove to work anyway. I wish he had worked from home, it always worries me when he drives without having slept well.

My daughter's hair looked lighter last night. She said that when she showed it to me yesterday it was still wet so it looked darker.  She still has green hues in it but it's much better than I had realized.  I'm not sure what she's doing next.  She made the Hershey cupcakes that I had totally forgotten to make for her birthday on Monday (aaargh!  Sorry, baby!) so there have been delicious-looking chocolate cupcakes on the kitchen table since last night and I have to resist them.  I covered them with various things so it's a little "harder" for me to get at them. Yes, I'm that lazy that lifting a heavy glass cake cover to get a cupcake makes me think twice about it, lol.

Well, if I have to suffer, you have to suffer with me!
I'm also fretting about the latest discovery in Paris of a car belonging to Islamists loaded with gas canisters and diesel fuel, parked for over 2 hours near Notre Dame cathedral in a no-parking zone in Paris.  I'm sure fingers will be quick to be pointed at the police but the truth is that they are spread very thinly.  According to my policeman brother, the government had cut down the police budget so much that staffing levels are unacceptable to even keep track with the regular job of policing, much less the one of preventing terror attacks.   Let's not even talk about their equipment and supplies, which are also inadequate, according to him.  My other brother and SIL live in Paris so of course I worry about them, as well as my youngest son's BFF and family who moved there for the year, and my mom who is supposed to go through Paris on her way home from her Corsica vacation next week.  You can't worry about everything, all the time, but in the face of a real threat such as this, it's hard not to.

Look at me, I'm babbling.  On to the dreaded To-Do List:

To Do List
  • Crafty/Creative:
    • Finish painting squirrel sign and assemble it
    • Make a lightbox to take better pictures
    • Melt down old candles and make into one or two new candles - No, I've decided to just pitch them. I know it's not the frugal thing to do but I have a ton of candles to use up, still, and I really need to declutter the house. Update: I had second thoughts last night so for now they're sitting on top of my washing machine until I decide what to do with them!
    • Make "No Soliciting" sign for front door and another one for the other front door (we have two)
  • Cleaning/Decluttering:
    • Dust the bedrooms (including son's fan) - in progress
    • Declutter linen closet
    • Clean kitchen cabinets
    • Declutter the top of the fridge
    • Mend items in mending basket (add Greg's hat)
    • Declutter shelves over printer stand 
    • Declutter storage bench 
    • Dust fan in exercise room
    • Clean the fridge
    • Declutter gardening supplies chest
    • Defrost the freezer - scrapped off the top of the ice layer. Will need to defrost the whole thing.
    • Sweep breezeway
    • Vacuum living room
    • Vacuum exercise room
    • Sweep/vacuum downstairs bathroom
    • Vacuum master bedroom
    • Vacuum upstairs hallway
    • Vacuum main stairs
    • Do the dishes (Thursday) - my daughter took care of that
    • Fold the laundry
    • Put the laundry away
    • Wash cat litter boxes - Done
  • Cooking/Baking/Preserving:
    • Need to preserve the eggplants
    • Cook chicken in electric roaster this afternoon with veggies - Baked in the oven.
    • Bake pumpkin bread
  • Entertainment
    • Plan an outing to Leu Botanical gardens or Bok Tower Gardens
    • Sign up for ranger hikes in local parks
  • Errands:
    • Take items to the dump
    • Go buy kitten formula and Pedialyte - Done
    • Go to pharmacy pick up Rx refill - Done
  • Gardening/outdoors:
    • Transplant ferns into bare patch in front lawn to make shady planter
    • Scrub patio pavers with bleach to remove mildew (this might have to wait until the months when it's not quite so hot!)
    • Fertilize the raspberries - I'm thinking about pulling them and putting more roses in pots in their place.
    • Add mulch to the vegetable garden - I will do this once I have replaced the broken self-watering bins
    • Pull unwanted plants from center "planter" in the backyard, add soil, plant flowers, add edging around it (watch out for large roots that would be in the way). Make planter with other materials if edging doesn't work. (this will have to wait until Fall when it's not so hot and when I can plant wildflower seeds).
    • Divide and repot the aloe plant
    • Plant more okra
    • Trim grass behind the hedge
    • Trim weeds alongside the berm
    • Find fish emulsion and use on plants
    • Pull the rest of the dead tomato plants 
    • Plant passion flower vine seeds
    • Refill green bird feeder
    • Pour weed killer on weeds on patio
    • Harvest the peanuts
    • Refill the hummingbird feeders
    • Pull weeds from pots
  • Health:
    • Call gyneco to make annual appointment - I'll do that once I'm more comfortable with my weight because I know they'll be nagging me about it anyway.
    • Use recumbent bike 
    • Do 5 min of strength exercises  
    • Log food into My Fitness Pal  Done
    • Record exercise in Walgreens Balance Rewards 
    • Weigh myself (Wednesdays) 
  • Kittens
    • Feed them every 2-3 hours- Done
    • Weigh them (5 p.m.) - Done
    • Don't forget to wash hands before and after handling them to prevent transmitting diseases to the other cats  - Done
    • Call vet? - Done
  • Maintenance:
    • See if I still have mildew-resistant white paint for bathroom ceiling
    • Get Greg to replace the ceiling tile in the entry room
    • Test the batteries in all 3 smoke detectors and replace as needed
    • Greg to call plumber
    • Wash the bathroom ceiling with bleached water
    • Remind Greg to re-secure chicken wire to AC unit and also to block off opening under front of the house
    • Scrub mildew off front of the house (porch, behind bushes, front stairs)
    • Install white beadboard in laundry room (will need to measure and purchase)
    • Install new stick-on tiles in laundry room (will need to remove ancient ones first)
    • Paint laundry room cabinets
    • Get Greg to fix/remove rotten wood on front porch
    • Make a list of which outlets need to be replaced and call Duke Energy Homewire Protection to schedule appointment
    • Ask electrician for estimate on installing outlet on front porch
    • Ask Greg to make me new tiled table for electric roaster on front porch
    • Get on flat roof, sweep it, and clean out the front gutter
    • Ask Greg to install gutter screens on the front gutter
    • Have Greg block the opening in the back fence
    • Fix the fan in my room with electric tape
    • Pour bleach into furnace drain pipe
  • Technology/Paperwork:
    • Caption old pictures that have already been scanned
    • Scan more old pictures
    • Create spreadsheet to track IRA contributions using ALL our old tax returns - Started but need to do more research.
    • Figure out if we should contribute to regular  or Roth IRAs for 2016 and fund them - I guess I need to wait until tax time next year, actually. I'll have until April 15, 2017 to fund 2016 IRAs so I need to work on taxes way sooner than I did this year so I'd have time to fund the IRAs and THEN file my taxes.
    • Download all blog photos from June through August to my external drive
    • Back up my external drive to my other external drive
    • File the remaining loose recipes that I organized already in appropriate recipe binders
    • Purge filing cabinet upstairs
    • File paperwork
    • Write new letter to great grand aunt
    • Remove daughter's pc from her room and decide what to do with it
    • Go through the genealogical material crate
    • Shred what needs to be shredded
    • Scan what needs to be scanned (if anything)
    • Work on photo album for daughter's graduation
    • Return solar batteries to Amazon (printed label)
    • Sort new coupons - Done
    • Reply to my French BFF's email
    • Return call from Pharmacy re: son's prescription - Done
    • Call bank and have them remove me from daughter's account


FRUGAL SUCCESSES
  • As usual, I brewed a pot of half decaf coffee, using the free decaf coffee won from Wawa.

  • My son packed his lunch and took the bus to school.

  • I packed leftovers for Greg's lunch.

  • He stopped by RaceTrac on his way to work to get a free Sodapalooza soda refill and will get another one on his way home tonight :)

  • I mixed half a gallon of water with 1/2 gallon of whole milk to stretch it.

  • I took 2 RaceTrac surveys and earned reward codes for 2 more freebies :)


  • When I opened my Racetrac app, I realized that they had released another freebie coupon for a free small coffee. Hooray!  I emailed Greg and my daughter to ask them to redeem it for me, get me a small hazelnut coffee with 2 creamers and 2 packets of Equal on the side. I'll put them in the fridge to drink the next morning!

  • I did a load of kitty laundry before I left for my errands. I also washed the comforter that I keep on the futon. I washed everything in hot water because of the kitten pee smell, but then dried everything outdoors.

  • My daughter helped me with the late morning feeding by cuddling and burping the kittens and then I left to run my errands:
    • Save A Lot: I stopped just to see if I could snag any discounted foodstuff but there was nothing.

    • Petco: since I had to drive into Clermont, I decided to go to Petco to get the kitten formula.  I wanted to get the same brand as the last time but they were out of it so I bought a large can of KMR instead, that was $7 more expensive!  Yikes.  I had a $5.00 off $25 coupon that had printed last week, but of course the formula was $24.99. So I bought a toy for the older cats, priced at $5.99 so it was almost free.  I paid for the OOP with my USAA Visa for 10% back in Rewards. Looking at toys for the kittens, I saw one of those expandable cat tunnels with a hanging toy in it for $19.99 so I might get that in the future. Their scratching posts were all too expensive. I saw a tiny one at Tractor Supply Co for $16 that I think I'll pick up tomorrow morning.

    • Pharmacy: I picked up the prescription refill for my son. The co-pay was $35 and I paid with my Health FSA Visa card so nothing out of pocket since the money was already put aside into the FSA account, tax free.

    • Publix: I bought Pedialyte. It was on sale at 2 bottles for $10 until tomorrow so I decided to buy 2 bottles since the 1 bottle lasted me about a week and I have to feed the kittens formula for at least another 2 weeks.

    • I stopped by the South Lake Animal League thrift store and picked up a bunch of stuff!
      • a tray-type litter box. This will be the kittens' first litterbox. I will cut off one side so they can easily go in and out.  It was $2.00
      • a covered litterbox. This will be the kitten's next litterbox.  The top doesn't stay attached to the bottom very well but I don't plan on moving it from its spot. When I wash it, I'll just take the bottom outside.  It doesn't have a door but New Kitty's does either and it's OK. It was $4.50
      • a ceramic food dish. I want to use New Kitty's flat-bottom metal bowl when the kittens are ready to be weaned because the side isn't very tall.  So she will use that one instead. It was $1.50.
      • an Otterbox case for my son's iPhone 4.  The case that I gave him with the phone when I passed it down to him is broken. He probably won't like the Otterbox as it is bulkier, but since he decided that he'd rather have a GoPro than a newer phone for Christmas, we need to protect this one a little better.  It was 50 cents so if he decides not to use it, it's OK. Update: my daughter saw it before my son got home and asked if she could have it because her case is broken too and she also has an Iphone 4 so I gave it to her with the stipulation that she gives it back if/when she gets a new phone. Her dad swears that she knows he's getting two iPhone 5S from his parents next month that he plans on giving to her and Middle Son, but she's never mentioned it to me and acts as if she didn't know that she might get a new phone so I'm confused, lol.
      • a coin purse!  Mine broke (see "failures").  I use it to store the loyalty cards that I don't use all the time. I tried to fit them all in there before I bought it and they wouldn't, but I need to go through them as I think some of them don't apply anymore.  It was $1.50.
      • I had hoped that they would have some toys appropriate for kittens but they didn't have anything. I put those on my thrift store wishlist, just in case.
      • I paid for my purchase with my USAA Visa card for 10% back in Rewards :)

    • Lastly, I stopped by RaceTrac and got 2 free soda refills for my son and myself with our Sodapalooza cups and a free apple fritter for his after-school snack.

  • My lunch was leftover Chile Verde Pork Stew and a navel orange from Aldi. I don't know if the oranges were from California but they're good!

  • My daughter brought me back the small hazelnut coffee from RaceTrac with the creamers and sweetener that she got for free with her RaceTrac app.  Yay! She also got herself a free Sodapalooza refill with her cup.


  • I purged my loyalty cards of those that didn't apply to me anymore and the rest fit in my new-to-me thrifted coin purse. Yay!  

  • In doing so, I found 2 loyalty punch cards for Delia's, a young girls' clothing store. One of them is completely punched out so it entitles the bearer to $20 off a $20 purchase. I emailed my BFF to see if she wanted it. The catch is that Delia's is in South Orlando so I'm not sure if she would go shopping there... and also the cards are old so I don't know if they would still honor them.
  • I opened by Starbucks app for some reason and got a notification that I had earned enough Gold Stars to re-qualify for the Gold Level for a whole year.  Which is odd, considering that I very rarely go to Starbucks.  But I'll take it!


  • My son borrowed my bike to go to the library for his Dungeons and Dragons club meeting.

  • For dinner, I baked one of the Gold'n Plump seasoned chickens that I had bought on sale with a store and manufacturer coupon ($2.49 for the whole chicken) at SuperTarget a couple of weeks ago.  I had wanted to cook it outside in the electric roaster, but there were dark gray clouds moving in so I ended up baking it in the oven indoors. I'll cook some Minute Medley rice and steam some broccoli to go with it since we didn't eat the broccoli last night.

  • Today was Double Points Day on Bing/Microsoft Rewards so I earned all of the credits that I was allowed and able to earn.

  • I earned a few Swagbucks but barely any since I was disqualified for every single survey that I attempted to take.

  • We have enough leftovers from dinner to pack a lunch for Greg and a small lunch for myself.

  • I was able to order (10) 4 x 6 reprints for free from CVS with code 10FREECVS.  The trick is that you have to order the reprints from your CVS app so the photos have to be on your phone or your tablet.  I saw it mentioned that the code expires on 9/17 but I'm not sure if it's true.  I ordered pictures of the kittens to send to my great aunt and also a picture of the spotted bee balm flower that I photographed this weekend because I will frame it and add it to my collection of flower pictures in my bedroom :)  I hope the pictures turn out OK.  I ordered some of the photos my son took and on the preview it looked like they squashed some of the portrait ones to make them fit in landscape mode and it didn't seem like there was an option to turn the pictures sideways in the app... Oh well, if they're not good, they won't have cost me anything.


SPLURGES
  • Gas to run errands.

  • Kitten supplies at the thriftstore.

  • A cat toy for the older cats at Petco.

  • I called the vet's while I was running errands to ask for their advice about the constipated kitten. They said to bring in all three kittens this afternoon so that'll be at least another $50 for a vet visit... and hopefully I'll come home with a pooped-out kitten, hahaha. Ha, no it was only $34 and since their wi-fi wasn't working to authorize the charge, I'll just pay them at another time.

  • Baby cereal for the kittens, as per doctor's orders.


FAILURES
  • The small leather coin purse that has been holding all my many loyalty cards for several years gave up on me this morning... well, the zipper did.  I tried fixing it but I can't get it to work again.  Arrgh.  I added "small change purse" to my thrift store wish list that I keep on my phone and also created a new note to list what I could buy with the $10 Kohl's cash obtained via Discover Deals this month. I've been meaning to do that for months but I always forget... no more wondering what to buy when I go to spend that free money, lol!

  • The cat toy that I bought was suppose to chirp but it's not chirping.  Grrr.  If the cats don't play with it, I'll go exchange it next time I'm in Clermont.


CHORES
  • Kitten duty (3 times last night)
  • Cooked Greg's breakfast
  • Packed his lunch
  • Kitten duty (2 x)
  • Researched kitten constipation remedies
  • Caught up on blogs and commented
  • Took a shower
  • Made Greg's bed
  • Did a load of kitty laundry
  • Emptied kitty trash can
  • Washed the 2 cat litter boxes and replaced the litter
  • Returned call to the pharmacy
  • Kitten duty
  • Ran errands
  • Called vet's
  • Kitten duty
  • Purged my loyalty card wallet
  • Emailed my BFF
  • Took kittens to the vet's
  • Stopped by Publix to get baby cereal
  • Cooked the chicken for dinner
  • Kitten duty
  • Cooked the rest of dinner
  • Place photo order

HEALTH
  • I didn't exercise again... I'll need to try and take long walks this weekend. The thing is, the weather has really been gorgeous.
GRATITUDE
Credit: © Nick Chill, CA, San Diego, February 2010

  • For my daughter redeeming her coupon for a free small coffee for me!

KITTENS

I guess most of my update was written as an introduction to today's post.  Hopefully I will update this section later on with news that the constipated kitten did poop... crossing my fingers and my toes!

Good morning, kittens!

Their little claws have started to hurt when they dig them into us, which is more often than you'd think. I should have named them all "Velcro" because they grab on to you and it's hard to free whatever fabric from their claws, sometimes!  Also they dig them into my hands when they're unhappy with me because I'm trying to make them poop or pee, lol. But they also sucks on my fingers, like babies, which makes me laugh.  

They love to cuddle up against my neck and purr after they've been fed.  Oh, I love them so much :)  As my son said yesterday, when I handed him all three kittens after they had been fed and they were purring and curling up against his chest "This is the best thing ever!".



8:30 a.m.: I think I jinxed myself when I was talking about how easy it is, despite the stress-inducing constipation and the endless feeding sessions, to take care of the kittens.  The two males (well, the ones I think are males) woke up on their own at 8:15 a.m. (I had just fed them an hour before that!) and the striped one was walking around, crying. I thought that maybe it was a sign he finally needed to poop so I tried to coax him but... nothing.  So I fed him another 2 tsps of his formula/goat milk/Pedialyte mix and by then the dark gray kitten was crying out too so I also made him pee and fed him.  And then they woke the female up so "rebelotte" (here we go again!) with her.  But still no poop.

I vaguely smell of kitten pee. I call it "Eau de Kitten", lol.  I should go shower now. I'll wait until they fall back asleep.



I have Smooth Jazz playing on the Roku to soothe them, lol.  Soon I'll light up a scented candle too. I wonder if Bath & Body Works makes a "Constipation Relief"-scented candle, hahaha.


I just found a very comprehensive site about cat poop and constipation and they say never to administer mineral oil by mouth. Well, poop. (ha!).  I need to try to stick home up his little wittle butt but he's still so tiny that even a Q-tip won't work, I don't think?  Plus I'm leery about sticking anything up a wriggly kitten's butt.  Arrgh.

Sometimes the internet is NOT helpful. For every post that recommends giving mineral oil by mouth, you find another one that tells you that your cat will die if you do this.  I did find repeated references to giving the cat plain pumpkin purée as it is full of fiber.  It just so happens that I defrosted some yesterday to make pumpkin bread so I will try that at the next feeding. It's pretty watery so I think the kitten should be OK slurping it if I administer it with the dropper...

9:15 a.m. more crying kittens, what the heck?!  They're wandering around the playpen crying, I'm not sure what the deal is but this time, I'm Ferberizing them.  30 minutes later, after I've taken a shower and done some chores... they're asleep on top of one another :)



I fed the stripped kitten about 3/4 of a teaspoon of homemade pumpkin puree at 11:00 a.m., followed by his formula. He ate it well but I don't know if I gave him enough because it didn't produce the desired results :(



As I explained above, the vet's office said to bring them all in this afternoon so they could examine the constipated kitten and advise.  My daughter is going to come with me.  Update: the vet was able to get a little bit of poop out and also gave him a small enema but nothing else came out.  He told me to get Gerber Multigrain baby cereal and mix it with the formula potion to give it consistency but not too solid and feed it to all 3 kittens twice a day for more fiber in their diet. However, as my daughter noticed after we bought it, it has less than 1 gr. of fiber so I think the pumpkin puree is probably better?  We'll see what happens. I have to call him back by noon tomorrow to let him know what happens. Oh and he also told me to feed them only once every 4 to 6 hours, increasing the interval to 6 hours. And here I was feeling guilty that I was feeding them only every 2.5 to 3 hours!  Now, if I hadn't brought the kitten in for constipation, I would have never known to do this even though they've known since 5 minutes after I found the kittens that I was raising newborn kittens. So I'm a little peeved about it... they should have a newborn kitten instruction sheet or something!  I mean, we're long-time clients and those kittens are going to be their patients, you'd think it's not the first time a customer has been in this situation.  I'm going to make the suggestion to the staff when I go back.

Waiting at the vet's.
How was your day today?

11 comments:

  1. Begging kittens to poop is a post heading I couldn't resist! Hope they all "go"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good hook, eh? But I was literally doing that for the past 3 days. However, good news, as of 7:15 a.m. this morning my 2 males kittens who were backed up (almost 4 days for one and almost 2 days for the other) did poop finally. Hooray! I feel like having a cupcake to celebrate, lol.

      Delete
  2. Come on, little kittens, do what you need to do! You are causing your foster mommy a lot of worry and work!

    Yummy looking cupcakes! Cakes and chocolate don't taste so good to me, anymore, so I'll just admire how they look.

    My day was good. I managed to get a few things done.

    Hope you have a lovely day tomorrow and the kittens oblige and poop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish cakes and chocolate didn't taste so good for me too, it would certainly help with the cravings. But I'm proud of myself because we're down to just 2 cupcakes and I haven't had even one, although as I just told Anne, I felt like celebrating when the kittens did poop this morning and considered having a cupcake for breakfast! Must. Resist.

      I'm happy that you had a good day. I hope you're feeling better. Are you able to get a flu shot now that your treatment is over?

      Delete
    2. I asked the oncologist about getting a flu shot and I was told I needed to go through the primary care physician, but I was advised to wait another month or so before I got the flu shot.

      Glad to hear the kittens pooped!

      Delete
  3. Maybe the 4-6 hour interval feeding is now that they're getting a bit older--like with babies how you gradually increase the time between feedings. You need some more time between feedings for yourself so I hope the transition to longer intervals happens quickly. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Yes, that's what the vet said, but I was concerned that the decreased amount of liquid resulting from feeding them less frequently wouldn't help the constipation. Also they still don't have the reflex to pee or poop on their own so I was worried about them holding their pee so long, although I guess I could have made them pee without feeding them. And then, I didn't hear my 1:30 a.m. alarm this morning and they went 8 hours without being fed without a peep! The cereal must have worked because the really backed-up kitten had a huge poop session this morning, and so did his brother who had started to worry me as well. Phew!

      Delete
  4. Oh those cupcakes look delicious! Pumpkin puree to get kittens to poop...who would have known. All this work and worry - I hope it all turns out OK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird, eh? That was the claim on several websites. I only tried giving it to him once and it didn't work. But then again the baby cereal only worked once. Now all 3 are constipated and I'm eyeing the can of pumpkin purée in my pantry. They are cutie patooties but I'm tired of obsessing about their poop. I'm hoping they'll be more regular on their own once they start eating the regular cat food, running around and using the litter box. I think that's at least another 2 weeks away, though.

      Delete
  5. You got some great deals at the Thrift store today. How is it that you can almost always find what you are looking for? You are so lucky, it's uncanny. You mentioned your son borrowed your bike again. Did you get the basket reattached?

    Your daughter had to make her own birthday cupcakes? Oh no. It's a good thing you made her the crepes with cookie butter for her birthday breakfast. Just kidding. I'm sure she is as taken with those kittens as you are. The family gets to enjoy their antics and you get to do all the work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a couple of very good thrift stores I guess. There are several more that I haven't even visited, I should go. But unless I have a specific item in mind, I stay away otherwise I'd be bringing home stuff all the time and we really don't need anything! I did get lucky that day. All I really wanted was the credit card wallet but I knew I'd need the kitten stuff soon and then the Otterbox was a fluke because I saw it as I was looking for a coin purse.

      I still haven't reattached the basket. I was going to buy stronger zip ties first and I never did. In the meantime, I asked my son whether he preferred if I reattached the basket or not since he's the one using the bike the most right now and he said he preferred it off. Once the kittens are older and the weather is cooler, I plan on going back on bike rides so I will reattach it so I can carry my stuff in it.

      My daughter is a much better cupcake maker than I am! I had a period when I was baking a ton of them, all kinds of different flavors. It was the year after I had worked at my son's elementary school (so about 5 years ago). I had hated going back to the workforce so badly that I was June Cleaver the whole year after that, lol. I felt bad when she pointed out to me that I had never baked the cupcakes. They had completely slipped my mind! But she immediately followed that remark with an "so can I bake them myself?" and I was more than happy to let her, lol. Oh Susan, they smelled so good as they were baking, it was pure torture.

      Yep, I do most of the work although my daughter and Greg are always eager to help burp them and play with them when they're around. My son is closer to the adult cats but loves the kittens too. Before long they'll be all over him, as the others are. There's going to be some territory fights, that's for sure, as every cat has claimed my son's lap by sitting on a part of another's cat's anatomy at some point or another!

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!