Monday, September 12, 2016

Domestic Monday is Here Again! ~ Monday 9/12/16


I'm not starting Domestic Monday until 9 a.m., officially, but my goal today is to do as many chores as possible before noon. And then there's the Swagbucks Team Challenge that starts at 11:01 a.m. my time (EST), and I also need to exercise.  An ambitious day, for sure!

The kittens slept through the night again so I did as well. Hooray!  I was still disoriented when they woke me up at 5:58 a.m. and my feet hurt from the walk yesterday. Ah, to get older... I hate it, actually.  It always feel like my body is betraying me.  I'm too young to have all those aches and pain!  I'm still only 48!  But I'm thankful that I didn't hurt my knee while running, which is what was worrying Greg.

OK, after a 2-day break, I'm posting my To Do List again, sorry for those who don't like it. It helps me a lot :)  I'm adding stuff and crossing off what I did manage to do over the weekend.


To Do List
  • Crafty/Creative:
    • Finish painting squirrel sign and assemble it
    • Make a lightbox to take better pictures
    • Melt down old candles and make into one or two new candles - No, I've decided to just pitch them. I know it's not the frugal thing to do but I have a ton of candles to use up, still, and I really need to declutter the house. Update: I had second thoughts last night so for now they're sitting on top of my washing machine until I decide what to do with them!
    • Make "No Soliciting" sign for front door and another one for the other front door (we have two)
  • Cleaning/Decluttering:
    • Dust the bedrooms (including son's fan) - in progress
    • Declutter linen closet
    • Clean kitchen cabinets - Partly done
    • Declutter the top of the fridge
    • Mend items in mending basket (add Greg's hat)
    • Declutter shelves over printer stand 
    • Declutter storage bench 
    • Dust fan in exercise room - Done
    • Clean the fridge
    • Declutter gardening supplies chest
    • Defrost the freezer - scrapped off the top of the ice layer. Will need to defrost the whole thing.
    • Sweep breezeway
    • Vacuum living room
    • Vacuum exercise room
    • Sweep/vacuum downstairs bathroom
    • Vacuum master bedroom
    • Vacuum upstairs hallway
    • Vacuum main stairs
    • Do the dishes (Friday) - Done on Saturday and I did the Saturday dishes on Sunday
    • Do the dishes (from Sunday) Done
    • Do the dishes (from Monday) - loaded in the dishwasher!
    • Fold the laundry
    • Put the laundry away
    • Do the "new" laundry - Done
  • Cooking/Baking/Preserving:
    • Need to preserve the eggplants
    • Bake pumpkin bread - Done (on Sunday)
    • Make Grape Nuts (Monday) - crap, I forgot!
  • Entertainment
    • Plan an outing to Leu Botanical gardens or Bok Tower Gardens
    • Sign up for ranger hikes in local parks
  • Errands:
    • Take items to the dump
    • Need to buy new battery for kitchen scale - Done (on Saturday)
    • Exchange cat toy at Petco
    • Take son to get haircut (Tuesday)
    • Buy new knobs for bathroom sink
  • Gardening/outdoors:
    • Transplant ferns into bare patch in front lawn to make shady planter
    • Scrub patio pavers with bleach to remove mildew (this might have to wait until the months when it's not quite so hot!)
    • Fertilize the raspberries - I'm thinking about pulling them and putting more roses in pots in their place.
    • Add mulch to the vegetable garden - I will do this once I have replaced the broken self-watering bins
    • Pull unwanted plants from center "planter" in the backyard, add soil, plant flowers, add edging around it (watch out for large roots that would be in the way). Make planter with other materials if edging doesn't work. (this will have to wait until Fall when it's not so hot and when I can plant wildflower seeds).
    • Divide and repot the aloe plant
    • Plant more okra I'm taking this off the list, I'm not going to plant a garden this season
    • Trim grass behind the hedge
    • Trim weeds alongside the berm
    • Find fish emulsion and use on plants I'm taking this off the list, I'm not going to plant a garden this season
    • Pull the rest of the dead tomato plants 
    • Plant passion flower vine seeds
    • Refill green bird feeder
    • Pour weed killer on weeds on patio
    • Harvest the peanuts
    • Refill the hummingbird feeders
    • Pull weeds from pots
    • Turn the composting bin
  • Health:
    • Call gyneco to make annual appointment - I'll do that once I'm more comfortable with my weight because I know they'll be nagging me about it anyway.
    • Use recumbent bike  Walked all weekend
    • Do 5 min of strength exercises  
    • Log food into My Fitness Pal  Done over the weekend and done today too
    • Record exercise in Walgreens Balance Rewards 
    • Weigh myself (Wednesdays) 
  • Kittens
    • Feed them every 4-6 hours- Done
    • Weigh them (5 p.m.) - Done
  • Maintenance:
    • See if I still have mildew-resistant white paint for bathroom ceiling
    • Get Greg to replace the ceiling tile in the entry room
    • Test the batteries in all 3 smoke detectors and replace as needed
    • Greg to call plumber
    • Wash the bathroom ceiling with bleached water
    • Remind Greg to re-secure chicken wire to AC unit and also to block off opening under front of the house
    • Scrub mildew off front of the house (porch, behind bushes, front stairs)
    • Install white beadboard in laundry room (will need to measure and purchase)
    • Install new stick-on tiles in laundry room (will need to remove ancient ones first)
    • Paint laundry room cabinets
    • Get Greg to fix/remove rotten wood on front porch
    • Make a list of which outlets need to be replaced and call Duke Energy Homewire Protection to schedule appointment
    • Ask electrician for estimate on installing outlet on front porch
    • Ask Greg to make me new tiled table for electric roaster on front porch
    • Get on flat roof, sweep it, and clean out the front gutter
    • Ask Greg to install gutter screens on the front gutter
    • Have Greg block the opening in the back fence
    • Fix the fan in my room with electric tape -Done
    • Pour bleach into furnace drain pipe
    • Check the AC furnace filters
    • Mend my fanny pack! (Monday)
  • Technology/Paperwork:
    • Caption old pictures that have already been scanned
    • Scan more old pictures
    • Create spreadsheet to track IRA contributions using ALL our old tax returns - Started but need to do more research.
    • Figure out if we should contribute to regular  or Roth IRAs for 2016 and fund them - I guess I need to wait until tax time next year, actually. I'll have until April 15, 2017 to fund 2016 IRAs so I need to work on taxes way sooner than I did this year so I'd have time to fund the IRAs and THEN file my taxes.
    • Download all blog photos from June through August to my external drive
    • Back up my external drive to my other external drive
    • File the remaining loose recipes that I organized already in appropriate recipe binders
    • Purge filing cabinet upstairs
    • File paperwork
    • Write new letter to great grand aunt
    • Remove daughter's pc from her room and decide what to do with it  -Done
    • Go through the genealogical material crate
    • Shred what needs to be shredded ongoing
    • Scan what needs to be scanned (if anything)
    • Work on photo album for daughter's graduation
    • Return solar batteries to Amazon (printed label)
    • Reply to my French BFF's email
    • Call bank and have them remove me from daughter's account -Done
    • Input receipts in spreadsheets
    • Clip coupons from inserts and the ones that I printed (Monday)
    • Sort coupons and file them (Monday)
    • Take Driscoll's surveys (Monday)
    • Print Smartsource coupons from son's PC
    • Work on shopping list

FRUGAL SUCCESSES
  • I drank the free pumpkin-flavored coffee that Greg got me from RaceTrac yesterday. Yuck. Not getting that again. Come to think of it, I think I tried it once last year and I hated it then too!

  • My son packed a lunch to take to school and took the bus to and from school. Yay!

  • I packed leftovers for Greg to take to work.

  • I was going to try to run Swagbucks videos this morning but then I remembered that the Team Challenge starts at 11:01 a.m. so I'll wait until then.  Later on, I earned enough team member points to qualify for the Swag-Up although my team is in last place.

  • I also completed several surveys so I surpassed my 2nd Daily Goal.

  • I did one super load of laundry in cold/cold and the kitten laundry with shower curtain and lining on hot/cold.  I hung most of everything outdoors, save for Greg's clothing and the bath towels that I threw in the dryer on the Auto Moisture Sensing setting.

  • Since my fabric shower curtain is irretrievably stained with mildew, I decided that a good use for the $10 in Kohl's cash this month would be to purchase a new shower curtain (since I got a change purse at the thrift store after all).  So I made a note to that effect on my phone.

  • I fixed my favorite pedestal fan with electric tape. It works fine, it just falls apart once in a while but a bit of tape helps hold everything together. I just need to replace it once in a while :)

  • My daughter asked me if I had an original Apple charging cable for her iPhone 4 because I told her last night that it might not be charging if she used knock-off cables. Somehow they stop working after a while. She poo-poo'ed the idea at first last night (because her old mother couldn't possibly be right about something technology-related, could she?!) but she came to me this morning. I unearthed my old cable that I keep in my car for my son to charge his phone when he's riding with me... and it worked. Her phone did charge. So there. So all she needed was a new cable, not a new phone.  But I suspect the real reason why she bought a new-to-her Android was for her to be able to use the Pokemon Go app.  A dumb reason to spend hundreds of dollars but it was her birthday money.

  • Saved the bag of a cereal box to reuse as a freezer bag and clipped the Boxtop for Education label. I need to mail them to our former elementary school or drop them off. I always forget to do this!

  • Last night I froze the 2nd pumpkin bread loaf that I had baked into 2 separate packages so it doesn't get moldy while waiting to be eaten.  I reused 2 cereal bags to freeze them, of course!

  • My daughter gave me 3 Coke product bottle caps :)

  • I have 2 items waiting for me at the library and a DVD set to return so I'll ask my son to take care of all that later on this afternoon since he's going there to volunteer :)

  • One of my Swagbucks surveys didn't credit and I didn't get the team points so I emailed Customer Service and they credited me the SB and the team points, woohoo!  I'm so close to being able to order a GC but I'll wait until whatever Swag-Up my team earns is available on Friday.


  • A Slickdeal user posted a KFR code worth 100 points. Not sure when it expires: SUMMERTIMESPTS4U


  • There is also a 50 pt personalized code in the email that Kellogg's sent today. Check your inbox!




  • I uploaded new offers to my MobiSave app and in doing so, realized that I could probably submit my SAL receipt from Saturday for the pizza that I bought. Only 10 cents but every penny counts!


  • This week I have tons of great generic offers on MobiSave: apples, bread, eggs, pasta, pasta sauce, pretzels, bacon... and then $1.00 off 2 Kellogg's cereals!  I might even be able to use them all :)

  • There's a BOGO coupon in my McDonald's app for medium chocolate shakes but it's only good today and Greg didn't work from home and their machine was broken yesterday so it's probably not fixed yet... Why yes, I did text Greg to taunt him, eh eh eh.  Oh and I realized that it was because today was National Chocolate Milkshake Day, thanks to Bing Rewards.


  • I earned the daily Bing Rewards points.

  • Yawn. It's 3:43 pm., I just had an impromptu feeding/cuddling/picture taking session with Dark Grey kitten who had woken up and then Son joined us and we had an interesting time with New Kitty coming to claim Son when the kitten was on him. It was like she was planting her flag on his lap, lol. But I still haven't folded my laundry and now I'm all sleepy. It doesn't help that the sky just became dark gray too... it's supposed to rain at about 4 p.m.  I might have to drive my Son to the library.  I just made myself a big mug of instant decaf and oh how all your Day Book posts are calling to me!  But I said I would fold the laundry first!  But it's a whole lot of laundry... and now the other kittens are awake and squealing.  Arrgh.



  • And darn it. also pretty darn good offers on meat!  The chicken offer is off any brand so if you still have Gold'n Plump coupons, you should be able to score some great deals on that!  Darn it, I used mine already :(  Hey, there are also a few other great offers in other categories so check them all. 

  • 4:00 p.m. and it's raining!  not a ton, just a rainshower, but hey, the plants will take it!

  • 4:17 p.m.: It's no longer raining so my son is borrowing my bike to go volunteer at the library. He's returning my DVDs and picking up the new items waiting for me. Woo!

  • Caution, rant ahead: I called USAA to have them remove me from the joint accounts that I have with my daughter and convert those accounts to "adult" accounts for her. It took surprisingly long (27 minutes) and I had to be transferred to the "Sales" department because the "Deposits" department couldn't do it.  I had asked their phone tree to be transferred to the Banking Customer Service Rep so I don't know how I got to Deposits. Then my "phone password" wasn't the one that I had set up (I write everything down so I know for a fact that what they had wasn't changed by me) but the rep defused my annoyance by offering to set it for a new one of my choosing after satisfactorily making sure that I was me, so I did that. She converted the accounts, and also set it up so I could transfer money to my daughter when I needed to.  Then I asked whether my daughter had enough in her checking that she wouldn't be under a certain minimum limit that they might require, because she only had $42 in the checking account and I said if there wasn't enough, I would like to transfer some to her.  So the rep said "you're no longer on the account, I can't give you that information."  What?!  So I asked "well, would you advise I transfer money to her?" and she said "I can assist you with transferring money to her account".  So I said "well, then I guess transfer $50, would that be enough?" and then she said "I can do the transfer, I can't give you any other information."  WTH?!  All I wanted to know what if USAA has a mandatory minimum on their checking accounts and what it is so I could make sure my daughter didn't start by getting hit with lack of funds fees or what not and I explained that to her.  So she was in the process of setting up the transfer when she ventured "Anyway, USAA doesn't have any kind of minimum balance requirements or monthly account maintenance fees!".  Well, that's all I wanted to know!  So I told her that and explained that since I keep a sizeable amount in our accounts, I never had to worry about it so I didn't know the terms, and I had her cancel the transfer.  I guess I must be a demanding customer because by the end of the call, she couldn't wait to get off the line, which was very off-putting because I had been way nicer to her than the circumstances required.  Usually they thank you for being their customer, and you just can't get them off the line.  But today she just said "goodbye" and hung up. It  was a little abrupt. USAA's Customer Service has really gone down the hill in the past few years, IMO, I've had quite a few problems with them, starting with the day when one of their staff decided that when my stepdaughter ( already an adult and living out of the house and without any shared accounts with us) changed her address, they would change all of my children's addresses to hers and also cancel our Mastercard.  Boy, was I pissed. I wrote a long letter to the CEO and they tried to call me back and explain that it was "human" error but the error shouldn't have been possible because there shouldn't have been any connection between my stepdaughter's account and my own adult children's accounts.   Then Middle Son's statements, that he gets in the mail here because he never bothered changing his mailing address, starting showing up with my name on them too, even though I hadn't been on his account for a year. They didn't know what I was talking about, and then said it didn't matter (well, it does to me!  I don't want to be tied to that account because I don't want my credit history impacted by his!) and then agreed that it shouldn't have been on there and finally removed me.  Arrgh. So yeah, I'm a little down on USAA's Customer Service these days.  BUT: I'm off my daughter's accounts.  The only way that her spending can affect me now is if she starts to go crazy with charges to my Discover card and she knows better than to do that :)

  • On this note, I still haven't folded my laundry and I hear kittens moving about...
  • I checked the mail and I had several surprises in it:
    • The Upromise cash-out check finally got here.  $51.26 will get added to my checking account. Sweet!

    • A friend to whom I had gifted some educational games via mail sent me a sweet thank you note from her all family and included $20 to refund me from shipping (against my will! I had told her not to worry about it. She is a sweet but naughty lady! lol).  

    • The local Coupon Book distributor is still mailing me 2 copies of the coupon books with coupons for various local restaurants and service providers. I had asked them to take my off their list when they had mailed some to me that came "postage due" but they've not made the same mistake since.  One of the coupons is for $5 off $20 at the local St Vincent of Paul's thrift store. I haven't been there in ages. It's unlikely that I would spend $20 there but I ought to stop by one of these days.

I saved the envelope. Also the stamps hadn't been cancelled. However, part of me
thinks that reusing them is stealing so I won't.
  • I saved the water used for boiling eggs this morning to water my indoor zombie plants.

  • I harvested a few jalapeƱos and serrano peppers from the garden. The plants are so thirsty, the peppers are really tiny.

  • Dinner was the pizza bought on 50% clearance on Saturday ($2.75). I used ham to top our son's, Greg and my pieces also received the sliced jalapeƱos and serranos.  My daughter wanted her plain.  I also made another side salad of spinach, Roma tomatoes, 1 hardboiled egg, and cucumber slices.  All of us but my son used the Ken's Lite Raspberry Pomegranate dressing. It's very tasty!
Before it goes into the oven...
  • I rinsed several cereal bags that I had been saving and several Ziploc bags and hung them to dry so I can reuse them.

  • I decided to take my son to get a haircut tomorrow night instead of tonight as I needed to feed the kittens (they slept all afternoon save for Dark Gray kitten who was awake in the middle of it).  We're going to the high school tomorrow night for the Open House so we'll stop by Great Clips on the way there.

  • I didn't make a menu today but I am defrosting some chicken breasts for tomorrow. I'll decide tomorrow morning how to cook them. I'm thinking maybe Southwest Chicken Stew in the crockpot.


SPLURGES
  • Gas for daughter to go meet with the UF rep at the high school.

  • Our HOI policy is going up by $300 and some dollars this year.  How annoying.

  • I didn't realize until dinnertime that I didn't have enough spinach and cucumber to make a salad for 4, so I asked my daughter if she was available to drive to Publix real quick to get those for me. She was and she did it with a smile :) So I spent a little more than at Aldi, about $0.75 total. Not too bad. Well, and plus the gas to go there and back but she took the Focus and the mileage is pretty good.  I told her that I would credit her with one night's worth of doing the dishes as "chore payment".

FAILURES
  • I forgot to mention that I broke a bowl this weekend. I hate when that happens but I'm not heartbroken because it was part of a set I had bought at Kohl's years ago that couldn't be put in the microwave because it had a "silver" line around the rim.  I'll replace it with something from the thrift store at some point.


  • A few months ago, I bought new knobs for my main bathroom sink at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore. They were brand new, Ace Hardware brand knobs.  When I got home, I realized why they might not be popular, because you had to attach an adapter to the top of the tap and then slide the knob onto it so it's very easy to take off the knob: you just pull on it.  But it's awesome for me because our bathroom is dark (no window) and has no ventilation to speak off and is very humid due to that shower leak that no one has done anything about yet (Greg!). Consequently, the old sink knobs got all gunky and gross and I could never get them clean enough. Then, if I wanted to get the gunk that accumulated under them, on top of the faucet itself, I had to get the screwdriver, pop out the top of the knobs (those little clear plastic lids that soon broke), and unscrew the knobs from the faucet, clean the whole darn thing and then put everything back together. It got old very, very fast. So I loved the new knobs, and declared they were staying even if everyone else hated them.  But we had the cleanest faucet we had ever had in 14 years of living here!  However, all good things come to an end... somehow the cold water tap's adapter and knob don't seem to work together anymore. So either we can't get the cold water to come on, or we can't turn it off. Regardless, it's a problem.  I've had the screwdriver on the side of the sink for over a week because we have to loosen or tighten the screw constantly and I'm once again tired of it. So this week, I need to get new faucet knobs and we'll have to go back to the old kind that works without an adapter. Sob. More cleaning for me and another expense that I would have rather not have to have again.


CHORES
  • Kitten duty
  • Cooked Greg's breakfast
  • Packed Greg's lunch
  • Kitten duty
  • Checked on the garden
  • Posted Day Book entry
  • Prepped today's post
  • Kitten duty
  • Worked on To Do list for today
  • Made Greg's bed
  • Did the laundry, including our laundry, kitten laundry and shower liner and curtain
  • Hung laundry outside to dry
  • Wiped mirror in bathroom
  • Cleaned sink in bathroom
  • Scrubbed downstairs toilet
  • Kitten duty
  • Replaced air freshener on landing
  • Did the dishes
  • Wiped down the countertops and cabinets
  • Moved daughter's PC to "attic"
  • Fixed the fan in my room
  • Chatted with daughter
  • Found phone cable for daughter
  • Worked on Swagbucks
  • Kitten duty
  • Changed kitten bedding
  • Brought laundry back indoors
  • Cleaned out my inbox
  • Uploaded new MobiSave offers
  • Kitten duty and playtime and photo session (with just Dark Gray Kitten and son)
  • Uploaded new Cartwheel offers
  • Called the bank
  • Chatted with my daughter
  • Checked the mail
  • Deposited a check via my credit union's app
  • Emailed a friend
  • Cooked dinner
  • Started reading my "Hand-Raising the Orphaned Kitten" library book
  • Unloaded the dishwasher
  • Kitten duty with Greg
  • Change the kitten bedding
  • Reloaded the dishwasher
  • Made more kitten magic potion
  • In conclusion, no I didn't fold the laundry but I think I did plenty of other things!

HEALTH
  • No walk for me today, I need to get back on the bike. Now that the playpen is in the way, I can't move my bike to the living room so I'll be "confined" to the exercise room, just a couple of feet away. I like biking in the living room better!

  • Crap I didn't get back on the bike :(

GRATITUDE
  • That stripped kitty finally pooped, even though it was on the floor of the playpen, not when I was trying to coax him to do it just a few minutes earlier and he was screaming bloody murder!
  • That New Kitty seems to become more tolerant of the kitten presence in the house.
  • For my daughter's willingness to help at dinner time
  • For a friend being too nice for her own good!

KITTEN UPDATE
Male Cat came back to check on the playpen last night. He never gets very close and just sniffs the air. I was still burning the Apple Pumpkin Pancakes candle so that might have confused him and he just left without even jumping on Greg's lap, who was very disappointed!  He loves the cuddling sessions with Male Cat as much as Male Cat enjoys them.
Dark Gray Kitten on Greg last night. He's the only one of our cats who likes being
on this back and getting his tummy rubbed!

Uh, ignore the laundry baskets!  Male Cat checking out the kittens from afar last night. He never got any closer than that.

The kittens slept through the night again. I'm not sure if that's good or not. I probably should wake them halfway through to feed them but I'm tired and I'm enjoying the long bouts of sleep too!



The dark gray kitten had loose stools last night after I fed it.  I changed the formula to the KFR yesterday and didn't think to do it gradually (the Petco guy had told me they were the same thing!) so I'm thinking this is what upset his tummy?  He'd been constipated so I was just happy that he did poop. I had to give him a "shower" in the laundry room again because well, a kitten is hairy, so loose stools are messy.  He's so funny because he loves it!  I run the warm water on his tummy and it must feel really good to him because he just stares at me with his big eyes and gets very very quiet. I wanted my son to take a picture of him but then he started squirming before we could do that. Oh well.

This morning, he had a bit of liquid stool. Oh no. And also he was gassy.  Then he wouldn't stop crying even though I had fed him quite a bit and I didn't even know if I should feed him what I'd been feeding him. He's too young to withhold food for 12 hours, as is recommended for older cats with diarrhea. There is already Pedialyte in his kitten magic potion so I think he's getting plenty of electrolytes. So I just fed him again. And then again, and then he did get back to sleep.

Then Striped Kitten... ah, just found out the correct term is "tabby". All those years and I didn't know a tabby cat was a striped cat. I had never looked it up before, intellectual laziness, I guess. You learn something every day!  Anyhoo, the Tabby Kitten hadn't pooped since early on Friday morning. I had said I wasn't going to worry about it but I was kind of worried (because it's in my nature to worry about everything, all the time).  Well, he was asleep this morning after feeding (and NOT pooping!) but then woke up and was walking around the playpen a little and fell asleep again away from his siblings, on his own. I thought that was odd but perhaps a sign that he was getting older and more mature.  Then a little bit later he woke up again so I went to check on him and I found turds on the floor of the playpen around his siblings who were dead asleep!  So I'm surmising it was him who pooped.  Of course, it happened right after I had removed the litter box from the playpen because they were going in it and the dark gray kitten, whom I had put in there last night, seemed to be a little distraught by the change of terrain (it reminded me of my daughter who used to really hate being in sand when she was a baby and a toddler!). I fed him a little more and then put him back with his siblings and he fell asleep with them again.  

So on the one hand I'm relieved Tabby has pooped and on the other I'm fretting over Dark Grey's diarrhea.  I'll see what happens the next time he's awake and if he still has liquid diarrhea, I'll call the vet to see what I should do.  Update: no more diarrhea today. The little female starting having the underwear track too and then had a stinky green poop but no diarrhea. Hooray!

I was carrying her around this morning as she was awake while her brothers were playing and decided to go socialize her with the older cats. The females stay away but Male Cat came to sniff her as soon as I put her down on the ground. He sniffed and sniffed but didn't do anything else and soon enough went to his scratcher. I thought "uh oh, he's going to sharpen his claws to pounce on the kitten!" but he just lied down on it and continued to observe her from afar. He's such an easygoing cat!




When my daughter came back from the high school, it was time to feed the kittens so she came to play with them and burp them.  She sat down on the carpet and we put the kittens there so they could get some walking around practice.  They're still pretty wobbly but are getting stronger every day and getting more confident in their walking abilities!



My son and I played and cuddled with the Dark Gray kitten this afternoon. He was awake but his siblings were asleep, so I took him with me to the kitchen to warm up some food and then decided to feed him on the couch in the entry room (also known as the Cat Room) in hopes that the older cats would get used to him and the idea of kittens in general.  My son was burping him after the feeding when New Kitty decided to show us all that my son is HER human and jumped on the couch behind him and then forced herself between us and went to lie down on his lap as the kitten was on his shoulder.  We even let the kitten come sniff her butt and nuzzle her backside a little and she pretended that he wasn't even there. But her tail  was twitching as if she were tapping her fingers in an annoyed manner. So funny and definite progress. I told my son that I thought he was key to having the older cats (who are all gaga about him!) accept the kittens so he should be handling them more often and handling them in that room.




He's teething


I am NOT talking to you, looking at you, nothing!

Then we put the kitten on the floor and New Kitty by then had jumped off my son's lap and just stared at him. I didn't keep him there long because the tiles are cold and the AC was blowing and I didn't want him to be too cold. So I put him back on my lap and he started making biscuits on my thigh and purring. I love him!



At tonight's feeding, it was time to weigh the kittens again. Only Dark Gray the Explorer just wouldn't sit still on the scale. So I grabbed one of the Driscoll's strawberry containers that I had on the couch next to me, waiting for me to take the Customer Satisfaction Survey, and I cut off the top and placed the kitten in it.  It worked!  But after I got his weight (10 ounces!), he was quick to try to get out, lol!

That can't be my weight!

Lastly, Greg loves to cuddle with the kittens in the evenings after i've fed them. He does burping and keeping warm and cuddling duty while I feed.  But it puts him to sleep almost every night, lol!  The kittens love him, they nuzzle his beard and love his nice and warm lap blanket. Tonight it was hard taking them away to put them back in the playpen because they were all so cozy and falling asleep on him!  Awww.



Ah no, one more story... Male Cat came back tonight to do his drive-by and check on the kittens. Tonight, probably encouraged by all the socialization going on in the Cat Room today, he went all the way up to the playpen and was observing the kittens sleeping.  Then he tip-toed away. I swear!  He walked very carefully away like a chameleon.

Uh, yes. The laundry baskets ARE still there and there are more now too. Shh, just look at Male Cat!
Anything interesting happened to you today?  Are you all regular?  Do you feel like talking about poop some more?  lol.

6 comments:

  1. You certainly did a lot! Putting away laundry can wait another day. Male cat is probably wondering if he's responsible for these new little furry things. New Kitty says she's going to pretend they don't exist; if she ignores them, they will go away!

    By the way, I pulled out some chicken to thaw, too! Great minds think alike! I'll figure out what I'll make, tomorrow.

    Hope you have a great day, tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are definitely right about New Kitty pretending that they don't exist, lol. But at least she's not as mean to them as Mean Kitty. I'm quite worried about her reaction when they all come sauntering into the Cat Room. It dawned on me tonight that that room is spacious enough for the three cats to each have their sphere of personal space, but 6 cats in there would be crammed. So it seems that I'm going to have to make my peace with having 3 cats in the living room, sleeping on the couches, shedding their hair on the carpet, and have to add "vacuum the whole downstairs" to my to-do list on a daily basis!

      Delete
  2. Such cute little kittie pictures. They're so sweet, I could just eat them up. You tell us that they are stinky, but they smell so good to me. I could just bury my face in their fur. So nice that they seem to be sleeping through the night.

    I love your idea for Domestic Monday (or whatever day) to just work hard doing everything you can until lunchtime. I will do that tomorrow. I have a doctor's appointment anyway in the afternoon, so I will hit it in the morning and see what I can accomplish. I am usually done like toast by lunchtime anyways.

    So you didn't get the laundry folded? You need to save something to do for the rest of the week. Otherwise, you might get bored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get it folded today, hooray. But I didn't do the dishes, boo. I don't think I run the risk of getting bored any time soon, those darn chores always seem to come back around...

      I might have to visit your blog tomorrow, I'm trying to clear out my inbox and then I think I'll go to sleep because my daughter came home very early from Halloween Horror Nights. Not her cup of tea AT ALL.

      I hope your doctor's appointment went well!

      Delete
  3. Don't worry about the laundry... mine is on the ironing board while waiting to be folded, and it's a permanent fixture in the kitchen/dining area. I can't remember when it hasn't been there, full of laundry waiting to be folded. Kittens are more important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when other people confess that they're not perfect homemakers either, it makes me feel better, hahaha. I did fold it but now I've had a laundry basket of folded laundry on my bed just waiting for me to put it away for 2 or 3 days and every time I see it, I think "next time!". I really should just take the 2 minutes to put it away.

      On that note, I've noticed that during the 2 minutes it takes for the bowl of water to heat up in the microwave to warm the kitten formula up, I can pretty much unload the whole dishwasher. Huh.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!