Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Grocery Shopping This Week



Wednesday is my main shopping day but with the kittens in the house, I can't be gone too long so I split this week's grocery shopping between several days and skipped Walmart altogether.

My official 2016 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) but I really aim to spend $50 or less.

Let's see how I did!

Budget for the week: $100.00
Total OOP: $62.83
Rebates expected: $0.00
Total spent after rebates: $62.83
Money left in budget: $37.17

I went over my desired budget because I spent a lot on produce. But we were out of fruit and veggies so I had to restock!

Baking Supplies: $0.69 OOP


  1. One of those impulse buys because I saw it and thought we were out of it and fall baking season is almost upon us... well, apparently I had stocked up several months ago.  At least I only bought one!

  • 1 can evaporated milk (Aldi) @ $0.69

Beverages: $0.00 OOP


  1. I sent a text to Greg with this picture and the message "Keeping you addicted since 2016©" :) Sodapalooza won't last forever (sadly) and he reaaaaaally likes his Diet Dr. Pepper.
  • (3) 12-packs Diet Dr. Pepper ( CVS), on sale $3 for $10, minus $2.02 in ECBs but FREE with my CVS gift card earned via our Amex Rewards program.

Breads/Baked Goods: $2.44 OOP

  1. I asked my daughter to stop by SAL on Monday, fearing that we would run out of bread before I could get to the store so she picked up a loaf... and then I got the free bread the next day and bought more bread today. What can I say?  Bread rarely goes bad in our house!
  2. The digital coupon that I had uploaded for a free loaf of Dave's Killer Bread did NOT come off my total at the register so be warned if you uploaded the same receipt. Check your total before leaving the store and be ready to encounter skepticism at Customer Service. Have your Publix app out and showing the clipped coupon.
  • 1 loaf white bread (Save A Lot) @ $0.99 (not pictured)
  • 1 loaf organic Dave's Killer Bread (Publix), @ $4.99 but FREE after digital manufacturer coupon and got $0.25 back from Ibotta so MONEYMAKER!
  • 1 loaf white bread (Aldi) @ $0.85
  • 1 8-ct package hamburger buns (Aldi) @ $0.89
 Cereals: $1.39 OOP
  • 1 box Crispy Rice (Aldi) @ $1.39

Dairy: $6.83 OOP


  1. I only got the Liberté yogurt because it was free. But it's something like 210 calories (whaaaaaat?!) and although I didn't check this one specifically, the non-organic version have lots of trans fats in them.  It's one of the most unhealthy things I've ever seen, masquerading as a healthy yogurt. Beware! Having said that, I got the pomegranate flavor, thereby ensuring that Greg won't eat it, lol.
  2. Aldi's register still charged me only $0.29 per cup of yogurt even though the tag that was still on the shelf showed that the promotion ended on 8/30. I'm not going to complain about that mistake :)
  • 1 gallon whole milk (Save A Lot) @ $2.99 (not pictured)
  • 1 Liberté organic yogurt cup (Publix) @ $1.79 but FREE after digital manufacturer coupon!
  • 1 16-oz container light sour cream (Aldi) @$1.19
  • 10 cups yogurt (Aldi), on sale at $0.29 = $2.90
  • 1 gallon whole milk (CVS), on sale at $2.79 but FREE with my CVS gift card earned via our Amex Rewards program.

Dry/Pantry/Freezer Goods: $0.00 OOP 
  • None needed
Produce/Juice: $42.72

  1. Wooza!  I got a lot of produce this week!  The fruit cups can go in the kids' lunches... or my tummy, whichever.  
  2. I should have brought back the russet potatoes to SAL today and gotten a refund since today's deals included 10 lbs (so 2 more lbs) for 40 cents cheaper. Oh well.
  3. Laura bought navel oranges at Aldi recently and said they were good so I went ahead and bought 2 bags. I love navel oranges! 2016 has seen the most oranges eaten by me since I lived in France... and I've lived in Florida for 30 years!  I don't like Florida oranges.
  4. The hearts of Romaine looked very bad at Aldi, well, the 3 bags they had left. So I bought spinach instead. I might make spinach strawberry walnut salad, which will make my daughter happy :)
  5. The cucumbers were very puny, about half the size of the cukes that I bought this summer for the same price :(
  6. The portobello mushroom caps are apparently $1.99 each but since the sign at my store said $1.19, I had them refund me the difference.
  7. I should have also asked them to refund me the difference for the bananas because they rang at the regular price of $0.44/lb but the sign said $0.29/lb. However, I was so annoyed by the portobello (more details about that in tonight's post!) that I overlooked the bananas.
  8. The apples have finally dropped in price!  They were $3.99 when I bought some 2 or 3 weeks ago. I'm happy to see the price drop on those as I buy them every week. My son and daughter love apples.
  • 1 ear corn (Save A Lot) @ $0.34
  • 4.86 lbs green grapes (Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.98/lb = $4.76 and got $0.25 back from Checkout 51 so $4.51
  • 4.71 lbs papaya (Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.69/lb = 3.25
  • 8 lbs russet potatoes (Save A Lot), on sale @ $3.99
  • 3 4-ct packages Dole fruit cups (Publix), on sale @ 3 for $6.00, minus $2.75 in coupons = $3.25
  • 1 4-ct package Dole squeezable fruit pouches (Publix),on sale for $2.00 minus $1.00/1 insert coupon = $1.00
  • 0.67 lbs tomatoes on the vine (Publix) @ $1.69/lb
  • 1 broccoli head (Publix), on sale @ $1.50
  • 2 lbs Driscolls strawberries (Publix), on sale @ $3.00 each, minus (2) $1.00/1 coupons from Driscoll's advisory panel = $4.00
  • 1 cantaloupe (Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.99
  • 0.47 lbs Roma tomatoes (Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.79/lb = 0.37
  • 6 lbs navel oranges (Aldi),on sale @ $1.79 for 3 lbs = $3.58
  • 3 lbs Red Delicious apples (Aldi) @ $2.89
  • 1 jar red cabbage with apples (Aldi), on special at $1.69
  • 5 lbs red potatoes (Aldi), on sale @ $1.59
  • 2 lbs carrots (Aldi), on sale @ $0.79
  • 1 lb Brussels Sprouts (Aldi) @ $1.99
  • 2.51 lbs bananas (Aldi) @ $0.44/lb = $1.10
  • 2 2-ct packages portobello caps (Aldi) @ $1.19 each = $3.38
  • 1 cucumber (Aldi) @ $0.59
  • 1 bag spinach (Aldi) @ $1.79


Proteins: $5.39 OOP

  1. I really wanted the Black Forest turkey but Aldi was out. So I got the ham.  
  2. The eggs are on sale at Aldi for just $0.69 a dozen but I got them free at CVS so...
  3. I didn't buy any meat for the freezer, hooray!
  • 1 Take'n Bake cheese pizza (Save A Lot), on 50% clearance at $2.75
  • 2 dozens large eggs (CVS), on sale @ $1.49 each but FREE after ECBs from previous trip
  • 1 lb Black Forest ham (Aldi), @ $2.99

Snacks: $3.37 OOP

  1. Can you believe how low my "Snacks" total is this week?! I think I'm going to start baking more... pumpkin bread, zucchini bread, and I've got to try Alison's applesauce bread at some point too!
  • 1 4-ct chocolate pudding cups (Aldi) @ $0.89
  • 1 box Swiss rolls (Aldi) @ $1.29
  • 1 bag pretzel sticks (Aldi) @ $1.29 and got $0.10 back from MobiSave so $1.19

Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week?  Please link up or share your finds in the comments :)

11 comments:

  1. You did well and yay for not buying meat! I went grocery shopping again, today, and did buy a piece of meat. So far, this week, I've spent $10.66 on groceries (food only).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, for the record, you were the first one to actually break our "no buying meat in September!" informal pact, lol. But $10.66 total including the meat? You did extremely well!

      Delete
  2. You don't like Florida oranges? That has to be sacrilegious. That is like me(I'm CDN)saying I don't like hockey or Tim Hortons :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fascinated with this Canadian obsession with Tim Horton's. I'll have to go visit one when I finally make it to Canada again to see what the hoopla is all about :)

      I'm not FROM Florida so I don't think it's as sacrilegious as saying that I don't like wine. And I don't and I'm French. LOL. My family has pretty much disowned me, ha.

      The thing with Florida oranges is all P.R. California oranges are far superior, IMO.

      Delete
    2. Lol about you family pretty much disowning you.

      Tim Hortons is like a cultural icon in Canada. Nothing special about the coffee or food (I much prefer McDonald's coffee). It was named after a hockey player who started it in the 60's. He died in a car accident in the 70's and ever since that company has done nothing but grow. When Canada had troops in Afghanistan, they set up a Tim Hortons in Kandahar. Apparently, it was a big hit even amongst troops from other Nato countries. Some companies just seem to have a licence to print money and in Canada Tim Horton's is it :).

      Delete
  3. Florida oranges are grown for their juice. So they're great in that way, but not great peeling and eating oranges. I do like them cut into wedges sometimes, but my favorites for peeling and eating are California oranges. :) I hope these are good -- I saw that they are on sale and want to pick some up this weekend.

    You got a ton of produce. I was really tempted to get some Brussels Sprouts on my last visit; they seem like such a fall veggie to me.

    And as usual, always great deals all the way around.

    Oh, the liberte -- I'm surprised about the trans fats. I've had them and don't remember that...I wonder if it was the particular flavor? There are naturally occurring trans fats in some foods, although not ones I'd expect to see in yogurt. I have that same coupon, so was actually going to pick up my cup this weekend. I didn't get the one for the bread, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you didn't get the coupon! That would have been perfect for you. It's really good bread but so expensive. I wonder who buys this in our rural community...

      I just looked up the nutritional information of the yogurts on their website and they claim only 0.1 gr trans fat. Maybe I was thinking of the saturated fat content, although the number I remember is way higher than is indicated on the labels that are on the website.
      Ah yes, I found the post where I mentioned it last September: I had bought the cappuccino flavor and it was 260 calories and 6 grams of saturated fat: http://imperfectlyfrugally.blogspot.com/2015/09/frugal-failures-and-successes-wednesday.html

      Delete
  4. I love that you have a no buying meat pact :) I am sure that we could live through another month with the meat in the freezer but not too many more months. I guess lunch meat doesn't count as meat huh??

    I love Diet Dr. Pepper too but mostly drink Diet Coke now because it is easier to match with the sales and the coupons :) You can tell Greg that I will come and visit to share his soda :)

    Super irritating when you go to the store to get things and they don't ring up correctly. I asked about the bananas at my store because they were marked $0.44 per pound but they came up cheaper at the price the sign said. It is always hard to check everything on the receipt super well and you can never tell at check out especially with the speed they scan at Aldi!! UGH! I am hoping to go and buy some red potatoes this weekend but who knows if there will be enough time.

    Great find of the pizza!! That is an amazingly cheap meal to end your shopping adventure. I know that baking everything although hot, does cut down on the food bill. We have been doing a little more at night to try to make up for the heat but I think that they said tonight it isn't going to cool below high 80s until 11 pm. I don't have that kind of time to wait up but I did make bread for a pot luck tonight at 9 pm so I figure that I already have the air on so that we can sleep and it can do a little extra work!! Sadly, waiting for the cold weather where warming up the kitchen will be a good thing :) Hope you try the applesauce bread and you can use just about anything in it that you "sauce" or throw in a blender until mushed like soft apples from your new purchases or anything else!! Super yummy with a fresh apple in it!!! YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lunch meat doesn't count as "meat" for the purpose of the no-meat buying resolution. I don't buy it in bulk and freeze it unless I come across and excellent sale on it and I haven't in months. I wish Aldi still sold the Black Forest Ham that I used to slice myself with my meat slicer! My son makes himself a sandwich for lunch every day and Greg likes snacking on ham or turkey as well. Right now I'm being very lazy and grabbing whatever protein is at the top of my freezer so I'm not following my menu, hahaha. But it's still better than going out to eat.

      I really would like to use that electric roaster more than the large oven. I'm planning on baking the pumpkin bread in it this weekend. I guess I should do that in the morning since there is less chance of rain. I really need to have an electrician come and install an outlet on my front porch, that would solve lots of problems!

      Have a great weekend! I guess you'll be busy baking and running to all your activities... don't forget to rest!

      Delete
  5. When I look at your grocery hauls I keep hearing "cheap, cheap, cheap" going on in my head. You'd think there was a flock of birds flying overhead. I love the prices that you find, and isn't this a great time of year to find great prices on fresh produce. Good for you because of the bargains and because they are absolutely good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughing at your flock of birds comment. You are a hoot! (because you collect owls and you were talking about birds, you see. Ha!)

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!