Thursday, September 15, 2016

Grocery Shopping This Week



Wednesday is my main shopping day. My official 2016 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) but I really aim to spend $50 or less.

This week again, I had to spread my shopping over several days, which made it hard to track my spending but also allowed me to hit several sales cycles. So I stocked up on a few things, and yes, including mail.

Let's see how I did!

Budget for the week: $100.00
Total OOP: $96.33
Rebates expected: $0.50
Total spent after rebates: $95.83
Money left in budget: $4.17


Baking Supplies: $5.48 OOP

  1. The Dollar Tree finally had the cherry filling in stock. I bought 2 cans but I'm thinking about going back and getting more. I'll use them to make coffee cake.
  2. The applesauce is for baking.
  • 2 cans cherry pie filling (Dollar Tree) @ $1.00 each = $2.00
  • 5 lbs all purpose flour (Aldi) @ $1.59
  • 1 large jar unsweetened applesauce (Aldi) @ $1.89
Beverages: $0.00 OOP
  • None needed
Breads/Baked Goods: $1.60 OOP
  • 1 8-pack hamburger rolls (Aldi) @ $0.85
  • 1 loaf white bread (Aldi) @ $0.85 and got $0.10 back from Mobisave = $0.75
 Cereals: minus $1.25 OOP
  1. The CVS clerk told me that I could use both the store coupons loaded to my ExtraCare card. I don't understand their coupon policy at all but I took it!
  • 4 Special K Red Berries (CVS), on sale @ $2.50 each, minus (4) $1.00/1 manufacturer coupons from Kellogg's Family Rewards, minus $1.00/3 boxes of cereal CVS store coupon, minus $1.00/2 boxes of Special  CVS store coupon = $4.00 but FREE with CVS gift card earned via our American Express Rewards program, and I got $1.00 back from Mobisave and $0.25 back from Ibotta so MONEY MAKER.

Dairy: $16.71 OOP
  1. The chocolate milk was a treat for the kids that I almost never buy and yes, they drink the whole bottle before it went bad :)
  2. I bought 2 packages of string cheese because Greg likes those too now!
  3. I was going to get Parmesan at Walmart with my Swagbucks gift cards but I don't know when I'll have the time to go so when I saw the reduced fat Parmesan at Aldi as a seasonal buy, I decided to grab 2 jars. My kids go through Parmesan like there's no tomorrow.
  • 1 gallon whole milk (CVS), on sale @ $2.79 but FREE with CVS gift card earned through our Amex Rewards program and received $0.25 back from Ibotta so MONEYMAKER.
  • 1 half gallon of chocolate milk (Save A Lot) on 50% clearance @ $1.32
  • 2 4-packs Dannon Activia Light yogurt (Publix), on BOGO @ $2.50,minus $1.00/2 coupon = $1.50
  • 2 canisters reduced fat Parmesan cheese (Aldi) @ $2.49 each = 4.98
  • 1 package American cheese slices (Aldi) @ $1.69
  • 2 packages Fit & Active string cheese (Aldi) @ $2.79 each = $5.58
  • 1 8-oz block mild cheddar cheese (Aldi) @ $1.89
Dry/Pantry/Freezer Goods: $7.15 OOP and will receive $0.50 from SavingStar
  1. Darn it, I thought I was buying chunky salsa and I grabbed the picante sauce by mistake. There doesn't seem to be any difference save for the texture. Since I usually use those in the crockpot, it probably doesn't matter.
  2. I thought I needed to stop up on pasta because I had been using a lot of it recently but not buying any... and then when I got home I realized that I already had 15 boxes at home!  hahaha.
  • 4 jars Pace picante sauce (Publix) on BOGO @ $2.79, minus (2) $1.00/2 manufacturer coupons = $3.58
  • 4 boxes Ronzoni pasta (Publix) on BOGO @ $1.59 = $3.18 and got $0.10 back from MobiSave = $3.08
  • 2 boxes of Zatarains' rice mix (Publix), on BOGO @ $1.49,minus $0.50/2 insert coupon, minus $0.50 digital coupon and will receive $0.50 back from SavingStar = MONEYMAKER

Produce: $25.44 OOP

  1. I had bought 4 ears of corn at Save A Lot before I saw it on sale at Target, darn it!  We love corn on the cob so I bought more.
  2. I stocked up on crushed tomatoes to use in crockpot recipes and on apples since the price was so good.
  • 1 bag spinach (Publix) @ $2.49 (not pictured)
  • 1 cucumber (Publix) @ $0.75 and received $0.25 back from Ibotta = $0.50 (not pictured)
  • 1 cantaloupe (Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.99
  • 4 ears of corn (Save A Lot) @ 2 for $0.88 = $1.76
  • 0.12 lb jalapeƱo @ $1.69/lb = $0.20
  • 1 Dole Caesar Salad kit (Save A Lot) on 50% clearance @ $1.25
  • 4 ears corn (Target) @ $0.25 each = $1.00
  • 4 lbs Driscoll's strawberries (Target), on sale @ $2.50 each, minus 25 Cartwheel, minus (4) $1.00/1 coupons from Driscoll's Consumer Advisory Panel = $3.48 and received $0.10 back from MobiSave = $3.38
  • 4 lbs red delicious apples (Save A Lot), on sale @ $1.99/3 lbs = $3.98, minus $0.10 back from MobiSave =$3.88
  • 2.09 lbs grapes (Save A Lot),on sale @ $1.49/lb =$3.11
  • 4 large cans crushed tomatoes (Publix), on BOGO @ $1.99 = $3.98, minus $1.00/3 manufacturer coupon and $1.00/3 store coupon = $1.98
  • 0.29 lbs yellow onion (Publix) @ $0.99/lb = $0.29, and got $0.25 back from Ibotta = $0.04
  • 3.82 lbs bananas @ $0.59/lb = $2.25,minus $2.00 Publix store coupon = $0.25 and received $0.25 back from Ibotta so FREE
  • 1 large can baked beans (Aldi) @ 1.39
  • 1 lb vine tomatoes (Aldi), on sale @ $0.89/lb
  • 3 Romaine hearts (Aldi) @ $1.99
  • 1 cucumber (Aldi) @ $0.59


Proteins: $31.47 OOP

  1. What can I say?! I failed the "I won't buy meat in September" resolution. But it's OK, I got some good deals AND I had room in the freezer!
  • 1 Rotisserie chicken (Publix) FREE with P&G promotion
  • 2 medium cheese pizzas (Save A Lot), on 50% clearance @ $2.75 = $5.49 and received $0.10 back from MobiSave so $5.39
  • 1 lb bologna (Save A Lot) @ $0.99
  • 3.26 lbs St Louis Ribs (Target) @ $2.49/lb = $8.12, minus 40% Cartwheel offer = $4.87
  • 2 whole chickens (Target) @ $5.79 each, minus 25% Cartwheel offer, minus $1.50/1 coupon and $1.00/1 coupon = $6.18
  • 2 dozens eggs (Target), on sale @ $0.79 each = $1.58 and received $0.10 back from MobiSave = $1.48
  • 6.64 lbs chicken breasts (Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.99/lb = $6.58
  • 1 lb Black Forest turkey (Aldi) @ $2.99
  • 1 package chipotle chicken sausages (Aldi) @ $2.99

Snacks: $9.73 OOP
    1. I almost succeeded in completely resisting the German goodie sale at Aldi but I had to try the potato sticks. I bought them for the kids but I'm not convinced they'll love them. My daughter has been taking a long time to finish the package that she started.
    • 4 candy bars (Save A Lot) on 50% clearance @ $0.49 = $1.80
    • 2 bags cuernitos (RaceTrac) @ $1.67 + tax, minus BOGO RaceTrac app coupon = $1.79
    • 1 package cheese danishes (Save A Lot), on 50% clearance @ $0.99
    • 2 bags potato sticks (Aldi) @ $0.99 each = $1.98
    • 1 package peanut butter crackers (Aldi) @ $0.89
    • 1 bag tortilla chips (Aldi) @ $1.19 and received $0.10 back from MobiSave = $1.09
    • 1 bag pretzel sticks (Aldi) @ $1.29 and received $0.10 back from MobiSave = $1.19
    Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week?  Please link up or share your finds in the comments :)

    12 comments:

    1. Those strawberries look great! I have been craving berries recently. And great deals on meat at Target!

      How do you use tomatoes on apples?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ah sorry, I meant I stock up on crushed tomatoes and apples :)

        Delete
      2. Haha, I couldn't quite think of how those items would work together!

        I picked up the cantina chips at Aldi, too. They're really, really good!

        Delete
      3. I agree! We just had them for dinner tonight and I thought I was just starving because I couldn't believe how good they were, especially for $1.19 a bag! I hope they have them again next week.

        Delete
    2. Good thing you made room in the freezer because those were great deals on the meat. Your flour prices are so cheap. Our five pound bag of flour is on SALE this week for $3.99 I see some baking in your future.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's always so puzzling how some of your staples are so expensive but then how cheap some of your produce is compared to Florida, which is an agricultural state! Yes, I think I'm going to be baking a lot more, Save A Lot doesn't seem to put their baked goods on clearance anymore. Either that or they see me coming and hide them. I haven't scored anything since the last 3 or 4 cherry pies that I had bought even though I show up on the day after the sell-by date that is indicated on the packages (because I keep my eye on those!). Grrr.

        Delete
    3. I know I typed up a comment on this post, yesterday, but I must not have sent it! Anyway, I wanted to say that you got some good deals and you still managed to stay under budget even with all that meat you bought. I agree with Susan, you got a good price on the flour. Rarely does flour go on sale for less than $1.99 here, which is the regular price of the store brand, anyway.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It must have gone in the great Blogger ether because I just checked and there are no pending comments. Maybe you're like me... I start typing comments in my head as I read the posts and then when I get to the end, sometimes I forget to comment altogether because I've already commented in my head, lol.

        Aldi's flour prices have varied from $1.59 to $1.89 this past year, if I remember correctly. I wish they would carry whole wheat flour as well but I'll just stock up at Walmart with the coupons I have for the King Arthur flour. I think you said you were near Los Angeles, correct? There are several Aldi's near Anaheim, Riverside and alongside I-10. Is one near you, by any chance?

        Delete
      2. I probably typed it up and forgot to click "publish". The nearest Aldi's is 17 miles away; the one in Anaheim is 35 miles from me. I don't think I'll drive that far for groceries. But thanks so much for checking for me.

        Delete
      3. 17 miles doesn't sound that far but in CA traffic, it'd probably take you 3 hours to get there and you're only shopping for one so you're right not to bother!

        I went through the whole "Rice and Curry" cookbook this afternoon and I might just have to buy it. I wanted to eat almost everything in there (not the squid curry and a couple of more things that I can do without). I was chuckling as I saw your coconut bread recipe, the lentil curry and some other dishes you've shared with us. I'm going to have to go back and compare their ingredients with yours to see what you might have substituted. I don't know if i can find fresh curry leaves down here, I'm hoping the Indian supermarket that I have found in Orlando might carry them, it looks pretty big. I made a list to take with me when I go. The book also mentions 3 websites so I might check those out although I guess they wouldn't sell fresh curry leaves. We shall see. The kids were NOT excited to see me reading through the book as they do not like spicy food (and for them spicy is anything that isn't bland!). I really wish there was a Sri Lankan restaurant close by so I could go and try some dishes cooked the way they're supposed to be cooked. There is one in Miami but it's 4 hours away and I have no desire to go down to Miami. But I just bought 6 cans of coconut milk online so I'm going to have to cook something with it, lol. I'll let you know what that is.

        Delete
    4. Did you have the mobi save for berries?? I have only been to the store once this month and I really need to make it again. This was a great haul!! It looks like it is going to last you a long time even though you broke your buying meat by a lot :) Good deals are hard to pass up. I know that I would have bought some of those at those prices...especially the chicken :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yep, 10 cents for the berries, woohoo, eh?

        LOL at your chicken comment. I meant to email you earlier, Coupons.com has a $1.00/1 Barber chicken coupon right now and I thought of your incredible deals on those a few months back!

        Delete

    Anything you'd like to add? Share away!