Friday, September 23, 2016

Grocery Shopping This Week


I'm still splitting my grocery shopping day into 2 days since I can't be gone more than 2-3 hours at a time, so it makes it a little tougher to stay on budget because I have twice the opportunity to get items on clearance!

My official 2016 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) but I really aim to spend $50 or less.

This week I was able to keep my OOP down because I used Swagbucks gift cards at Walmart and my CVS gift card (from our Amex Rewards program) at CVS. I still went a bit over my goal of $50 but I feel that I got a great deal of good food for that amount, and I'm really satisfied with the balance of healthy foods and snacks :)

Let's see how I did!

Budget for the week: $100.00
Total OOP: $56.75
Rebates expected: $0.00
Total spent after rebates: $56.75
Money left in budget: $43.25


Baking Supplies: $1.00 OOP

  1. I saw one last can of cherry filling at Dollar Tree to I grabbed it since it'd been months since I'd last seen any.
  2. I stocked up on whole wheat flour to make Grape Nuts for Greg and probably some bread too.
  • 1 can cherry pie filling (Dollar Tree) @ $1.00
  • (4) 5-lb bags King Arthur Flour whole wheat flour (Walmart) @ $4.12 each, minus (4) $1.50/1 printable manufacturer coupons = $10.48 but FREE thanks to my Swagbucks gift cards.

Beverages: $3.18 OOP

  1. I didn't need the tea because I still have several boxes at home, but I really liked the peach tea in the sampler boxes that I just finished and the price was right.
  • 1 jar instant decaf coffee (Aldi) @ $1.99
  • 2 boxes Celestial Seasonings tea (Publix), on BOGO @ $3.19, minus (2) $1.00/1 printable manufacturer coupons = $1.19

Breads/Baked Goods: $1.60 OOP
  • 1 loaf French Bread (Walmart) on 50% clearance @ $0.50 but FREE thanks to my Swagbucks gift cards and received $0.10 back from MobiSave so MONEYMAKER.
  • 2 loaves white bread (Aldi) @ $0.85 each = $1.70


 Cereals: $0.00 OOP
  • None needed

Dairy: $0.34 OOP
  • 1 canister GoVeggie lactose free Parmesan (Publix) @ $5.49 minus $5.49 printable manufacturer coupon so FREE and received $1.00 back from MobiSave and $1.00 back from Ibotta so MONEYMAKER.
  • 6 cups Fit & Active yogurt (Aldi) @ $0.39 each = $2.34

Dry/Pantry/Freezer Goods: $5.32 OOP 
  1. I stocked up on a few spices that I needed or through I needed: I actually already had a container of cayenne pepper at home!
  2. I should have just bought the seasoned salt at Dollar Tree because I "spent" $2.48 of my gift card money for it at Walmart :(
  3. I wanted to try the hazelnut syrup so I bought a bottle. So far, I've tried it once and I couldn't taste it, but perhaps I didn't put enough in my cup?!
  4. I didn't need the pasta but I can wrap some boxes for Middle Son at Christmas time and buying them at a good (but not great) price, allowed me to get a butternut squash almost for free since I got $2.00 off produce with the purchase of 4 boxes of Ronzoni pasta.
  • 1 container cayenne pepper (Dollar Tree) @ $1.00
  • 1 bottle hazelnut-flavored syrup (Dollar Tree) @ $1.00
  • 1 container smoked paprika (Walmart) @ $3.94 but FREE thanks to my Swagbucks gift cards.
  • 1 container seasoned salt (Walmart) @ $2.48 but FREE thanks to my Swagbucks gift cards.
  • 4 boxes Ronzoni pasta (Publix), on BOGO @ $1.59 = $3.18
  • 2 cans Bush's Beans Cocina Latina (Publix), on BOGO @ $1.69, minus $0.55/2 store coupon, minus $1.00/2 insert manufacturer coupon = $0.14
Produce/Juice: $14.17
  1. Buying the half pecans from the produce section at Walmart was cheaper per ounce than buying the pecan chips from the baking section. I will process them in my food processor.  Aldi carries the pecan chips too but I would have had to actually pay for them there!
  2. I had hoped to get $0.37 back from SavingStar on the avocado purchase at Walmart, but the Healthy Offer of the Week is only good off ONE purchase, apparently, so it got denied :(
  3. The pineapples were marked down for a quick sale. I'm going to dehydrate them. I will use them on my cereal this winter when berries are too expensive. I will also root both heads to grow more pineapples in my garden :)
  • (4) 6-oz containers Driscoll's raspberries (Target), on sale @ $2.50 each, minus 20% Cartwheel, minus (4) $1.00/1 manufacturer coupons from Driscoll's Consumer Advisory Panel, minus $0.05 reusable bag credit = $3.95
  • 2 avocados (Publix) @ $1.50 each = $3.00 minus $0.75/2 store coupon, minus $1.49 manufacturer coupon = $0.76 and received $0.60 back from SavingStar = $0.16
  • 2 avocados (Walmart), on sale @ $0.99 each = $1.98, minus $1.49 coupon = $0.49,  but FREE thanks to my Swagbucks gift cards.
  • 1.88 lbs bananas (Walmart) @ $0.56/lb = $1.05 but FREE thanks to my Swagbucks gift cards and received $0.10 back from MobiSave so MONEYMAKER.
  • 8 oz pecan halves (Walmart) @ $4.98 but FREE thanks to my Swagbucks gift cards.
  • 4.05 lbs grapes (Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.99/lb = $4.01
  • 2 mangoes (Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.50 each = $1.00
  • 2 pineapples (Save A Lot), on clearance @ $0.99 each = $1.98
  • 2.11 lbs bananas (Save A Lot), on clearance @ $0.29/lb = $0.61
  • 2.76 lbs papaya (Save A Lot) @ $0.69/lb = $1.90
  • 1.84 lbs butternut squash (Publix) @ $1.29/lb = $2.37, minus $2.00 store coupon = $0.37
  • 1 cucumber (Aldi), on sale @ $0.29
.
Proteins: $15.99 OOP
  1. I hadn't bought salmon in a long time so I jumped at the chance to get it for free (and it was on sale too so bonus!)
  2. The herring fillets looked yummy to me so I decided to buy a couple of different cans to try them for lunch one day.
  3. I couldn't resist buying more chicken breasts on sale $ $0.99/lb!
  4. The 50% off pizzas made for easy, cheap and delicious dinners this week.
  • 2 dozens large eggs (CVS), on sale @ $0.99 but FREE after redemption of ExtraCare Bucks from previous trip and received $0.10 back from MobiSave and $0.25 back from Ibotta so MONEYMAKER.
  • 0.63 lbs deli cajun turkey (Walmart), on 50% clearance @ $2.20 but FREE thanks to my Swagbucks gift cards.
  • 1 box Banquet turkey maple breakfast sausages (Walmart) @ $1.25 but FREE thanks to my Swagbucks gift cards.
  • 1.66 lbs Atlantic salmon (Walmart), on clearance @ $9.26 but FREE thanks to my Swagbucks gift cards.
  • 2 pepperoni pizzas (Save A Lot), on 50% clearance @ $5.99 total
  • 3.52 lbs chicken breasts (Save A Lot), on sale $0.99/lb = $3.48
  • 2 can herrings in fruity sauce (Aldi), on seasonal sale @ $1.69 each = $3.38
  • 1 lb Black Forest turkey (Aldi) @ $3.49

Snacks: $15.15 OOP and received $1.50 back in ExtraCare Bucks
  1. I splurged by buying ice cream for Greg and our son, which was pricey even though it was on BOGO.
  2. Buying baked goods on 50% clearance allows me to save on electricity since I don't have to bake, and also water to clean the dishes and, more importantly, my own time and effort!
  3. Aldi still had a few bags of the Cantina tortilla chips (this is a special buy item so we might not see those for a while now). They were really delicious so I grabbed 6 bags this week.
  • 1 bag Black Forest organic gummy worms (CVS), on sale @ $1.50 but FREE after applying ExtraCare Bucks from a previous trip and paying with CVS gift card earned via our American Express Rewards program, and earned $1.50 back in ECBs.
  • 2 pints Häagen Dazs ice cream (Publix), on BOGO @ $4.97
  • 1 container mini red velvet cupcakes (Walmart), on 50% clearance @ $1.49 but FREE thanks to my Swagbucks gift cards.
  • 1 box sour cream donut holes (Walmart), on 50% clearance @ $1.49 but FREE thanks to my Swagbucks gift cards.
  • 1 blueberry pie (Save A Lot), on 50% clearance @ $1.64
  • 1 caramel nut danish (Save A Lot), on 50% clearance @ $1.50
  • 6 bags tortilla chips (Save A Lot) @ $1.19 each = 7.14 and received $0.10 back from MobiSave = $7.04

Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week?  Please link up or share your finds in the comments :)


5 comments:

  1. You still did great, even if you went a little over the budget. Lots of good deals! Not too many good deals at this end, but whole chickens are being advertised at $.79/lb. I should buy 2 and freeze for next month's prayer gathering dinner, but have to find room in the freezer, first! You know how that goes, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, try stuffing them in there and getting a stout friend to sit on top of the door...

      Delete
    2. Nope, that won't work. I have a side by side fridge/freezer, so I might have to get a strap to put around it to keep the door closed!

      Delete
  2. I was thinking about the chicken that you got. Normally I take that stuff and boil the bone in breast and take the chicken off and shred to freeze. Perfect to put in chicken enchiladas, tortilla soup and other meals like quesdillas, paninis and fried rice. Then I make some stock with the bones and stuff and keep boiling in the water that I was boiling the chicken in with some leftover veggies. I know that it will take up a lot less room in the freezer so that you don't have to hold the freezer shut with a strap or stout friend :) I do the same with ground beef sometimes too because it takes up less room in the freezer. I like to lay everything flat in freezer bags and stand them up when they freeze like books on a shelf so you can grab anything you need. It helps me save room but I still bought an extra freezer so I obviously have a problem :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been meaning to do that: cook the meat before freezing it (or at least freeze it in marinade like you mentioned before) but by the time I get home from shopping, I'm too pooped to do anything else than to force it into the freezer. Still, I was thinking about suggesting to Bless cutting it into pieces to make it a little easier to fit into the freezer.

      And I think that all of us with your full freezers, still buying more meat, have problems, LOL. I really need to just by the essentials this week: milk, bread, fruit, cat litter and forget buying anything else.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!