Thursday, September 29, 2016

Grocery Shopping This Week



Wednesday is my main shopping day. My official 2016 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) but I really aim to spend $50 or less.

This week was the first shopping trip that counts for October since most of my week will take place in that month and thus will be consumed then.  Greg is still away at his parents and we don't know when he's coming back, and I decided to buy few things this week. However this plan was derailed when I saw the excellent Cartwheel offer for fresh chicken at SuperTarget,  a great combination of sales, store and manufacturer coupons and ECBs  on cereal at CVS, butternut squashes at Aldi, and when Save A Lot finally got pumpkins!  Still, with the help of my CVS gift card and some restraint, I think I did OK :)

Let's see how I did!

Budget for the week: $100.00
Total OOP: $29.10
Money left in budget: $70.90


Baking Supplies: $0.00 OOP

  • None needed

Beverages: $0.00 OOP

  • None needed

Breads/Baked Goods: $0.75 OOP
  • 1 loaf white bread (Aldi) @ $0.85 and received $0.10 back from MobiSave so $0.75


Cereals: minus $1.86 OOP and received $3.00 in ExtraCare Bucks
  • 1 box Crispy Rice (Aldi) @ $1.39
  • 2 boxes Lucky Charms, 2 boxes Reese's Puffs and 2 boxes Cookie Crisp (CVS), on sale @ $1.99 each, minus $1.00/3 digital store coupon, $3.00 in manufacturer coupons and $1.50 redemption of ECB from previous trip = $6.44 but FREE thanks to my CVS gift card, earned via our Amex Rewards program.  I also received $0.25 back from Ibotta, $1.50 back from Checkout 51 and I will receive $1.50 back from SavingStar so $3.25 MONEYMAKER!

Dairy: $1.34 OOP
  • 1 gallon whole milk (CVS), on sale @ $2.79 but FREE thanks to my CVS gift card, earned via our Amex Rewards program, and received $0.10 back from MobiSave and $0.25 back from Ibotta so $0.35 MONEYMAKER.
  • 1 package American cheese slices (Aldi) @ $1.69

Dry/Pantry/Freezer Goods: $0.00 OOP 
  • None needed
Produce/Juice: $18.37
  1. The pumpkins are being used as indoor seasonal decorations right now and eventually will be cooked, puréed, frozen, and turned into pumpkin bread and pumpkin soup.
  2. The butternut squashes will last forever on my kitchen counter but eventually will be turned into delicious butternut squash soup.
  3. I decided not to buy any berries this week as the Target strawberries that were on sale weren't Driscoll's and the raspberries were too expensive.
  4. I still had corn on the cob in my fridge and I have frozen and canned vegetables so I restrained on buying too much.
  • 2.09 lbs bananas (Target), on sale @ $0.57/lb, minus 25% Cartwheel offer and the 10 cent credit for using 2 bags.  Then I received $0.10 back from MobiSave and $0.25 back from Ibotta = $0.44
  • 7.42 lbs butternut squash (Aldi) @ $1.69 each squash (I bought 2) = $3.38
  • 6 lbs gala apples (Aldi) on sale at $1.69 each 3-lb bag = $3.38 and received $0.10 back from MobiSave = $3.28
  • 1 cucumber (Aldi) @ $0.59 and received $0.25 back from Checkout 51 = $0.34
  • 4 lbs grapes (Aldi), on sale @ $0.79/lb = $3.16
  • 1 bag spinach (Aldi) @ $1.79
  • 2 pumpkins (Save A Lot), on sale @ $2.99 each = $5.98


Proteins: $8.00 OOP
  1. The ground chicken wasn't on my list but it was a good price after all discounts and coupons.  I froze 3 packages and the 4th was turned into chicken burgers that we had last night for dinner.
  2. My son is welcoming bologna for his lunches. He loves that stuff (ugh, gross!).
  • 1 package bologna (Aldi) @ $0.95
  • 4 packages Gold'n Plump ground chicken (Target) @ $3.99 each, minus 40% Cartwheel offer, minus  (4) $1.50/1 coupons from Gold'n Plump e-club = $0.89 each so $3.56
  • 1 lb Black Forest turkey (Aldi) @ $3.49

Snacks: $2.50 OOP


  1. The milk chocolate bar is what my daughter bought herself when I told her she could charge a snack when she stopped by Aldi for me to get the turkey that I had forgotten to buy :)
  2. I resisted asking the cashier for a 50% discount on baked goods at Save A Lot when their sell-by date warranted it. Instead I left them for other customers since I have pumpkin bread in the freezer and I also need to bake banana muffins with the brown bananas that I have at home.

  • 1 bar Chocoeur milk chocolate (Aldi) @ $1.81 after tax
  • 1 bag oyster crackers (Aldi) @ $0.69

Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week?  Please link up or share your finds in the comments :)

8 comments:

  1. Nice job with the groceries this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was pleased with both my total OOP and my "loot" :)

      Delete
  2. You did very well with your grocery shopping, this week! Excellent deals with all the money maker cereals and rebates, etc. I didn't go grocery shopping, yet, this week! It's been too hot! I do need to go and buy some fruits and vegetables and bread. Maybe tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You didn't want to go grocery shopping because it's too hot? When I was in France last year and it was so hot and my mom didn't have AC, going shopping is what kept us sane as we had AC in the car and the stores were air conditioned too! It was a welcome break from the horrible heat wave :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the car and the stores have a/c, but too hot to walk from the car to the store and back and bring things into the house! I am a delicate flower who wilts in the heat! :D

      Delete
    2. It's a good thing you move from Sri Lanka, then, lol! *wink*

      Delete
  4. I meant to go grocery shopping today, but didn't. My Sweetie wasn't feeling all that well, so I stayed home and parked myself in the Craft Room. I got four cards made.

    We have not been receiving the grocery flyers in the driveway for the past few weeks. I have to go on-line to see where the specials are. This is getting to be too much like work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry your husband wasn't feeling good today. Is he still coughing like he was last week?

      I like looking up the sales flyers online but I also like having a printed copy to carry around. I will miss those once my newspaper subscription expires. Can you make a list and ask your son and his GF to go shopping for you?

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!