Thursday, September 15, 2016

Irritated ~ Thursday, 9/15/16





I feel irritated this morning. Have you ever had one of those days when everything seems to be annoying?

Greg has said he would work from home today but followed that statement with "and I have lots of conference calls!".  He insists on conducting them in the living room because he "needs my double monitors!" and he's very loud when he makes those calls because he wears headphones.  Like 4 times his usual volume. The living room is where the kittens' playpen is and where I spend most of the time that I'm not doing chores in another part of the house.  I didn't mind him placing the calls so much when it was just me because I'd just set up camp in the kitchen or try to ignore him, but moving the kittens and their playpen and equipment somewhere else would mean moving them upstairs to one of the bedrooms, where I couldn't monitor them very well, and where it would be more of a PITA to feed them since I'd have to carry everything upstairs. Plus, we'd still hear him. That's how loud he is.  But then again I was going to try and put them there anyway so I could vacuum the living room really quickly.

But when he came down this morning he said he hadn't slept a wink because he'd been nauseous all night.  Crap. So now he's asleep in his chair in the living room at 7:50 a.m. and the kittens are asleep too.  Knowing my husband, he's not going to take a sick day and he'll place the conference calls and I'll have to deal with the kittens all day.  So I'm irritated.  Yes, I should feel bad that he's feeling sick, but Greg feels sick quite often so I've become kind of immune to it. He refuses any care or suggestions so I've learned to just let him be.  Update: he's rescheduling his calls so hooray!  He might actually take a sick day for once. See, I'm not totally heartless.

So I guess no vacuuming today. I need one of those manual carpet brush roller thingies.

Also, there's nothing like hearing someone hurl when you're hungry and you're trying to eat your breakfast or burping like crazy when you're trying to eat your lunch. So ok, maybe I am heartless.   Listen, I go through bad cramps every month and no one cares, so...

Oh this is going to be a fun day!

PS: I just read Susan's post and her husband was sick today too but she didn't bitch about it on her blog like I did. She's a better wife than I am, lol.  Susan, I hope your Sweetie is feeling better tonight.

On to My To Do List!
  • Crafty/Creative:
    • Finish painting squirrel sign and assemble it
    • Make a lightbox to take better pictures
    • Melt down old candles and make into one or two new candles 
    • Make "No Soliciting" sign for front door and another one for the other front door (we have two)
  • Cleaning/Decluttering:
    • Dust the bedrooms (including son's fan) - in progress
    • Declutter linen closet
    • Clean kitchen cabinets - Partly done
    • Declutter the top of the fridge
    • Mend items in mending basket (add Greg's hat)
    • Declutter shelves over printer stand 
    • Declutter storage bench 
    • Clean the fridge
    • Declutter gardening supplies chest
    • Defrost the freezer - scrapped off the top of the ice layer. Will need to defrost the whole thing.
    • Sweep breezeway - Done
    • Vacuum living room Swept the wooden floor parts. Still need to vacuum the carpet.
    • Sweep exercise room - Done
    • Sweep/vacuum downstairs bathroom
    • Vacuum master bedroom
    • Vacuum upstairs hallway
    • Vacuum main stairs
    • Do the dishes (Wednesday) - Done
    • Do the dishes (Thursday)
    • Put the laundry away In progress
  • Cooking/Baking/Preserving:
    • Need to preserve the eggplants
    • Write a menu
    • Make Grape Nuts - Done
  • Entertainment
    • Plan an outing to Leu Botanical gardens or Bok Tower Gardens
    • Sign up for ranger hikes in local parks
  • Errands:
    • Take items to the dump
    • Return bathroom sink knobs to Ace
    • Return library materials - my son did it for me
  • Gardening/outdoors:
    • Transplant ferns into bare patch in front lawn to make shady planter
    • Scrub patio pavers with bleach to remove mildew (this might have to wait until the months when it's not quite so hot!)
    • Pull the raspberries and add roses in pots in their place
    • Add mulch to the vegetable garden once I have replaced the broken self-watering bins
    • Pull unwanted plants from center "planter" in the backyard, add soil, plant flowers, add edging around it (watch out for large roots that would be in the way). Make planter with other materials if edging doesn't work. (this will have to wait until Fall when it's not so hot and when I can plant wildflower seeds).
    • Divide and repot the aloe plant
    • Trim grass behind the hedge
    • Trim weeds alongside the berm
    • Pull the rest of the dead tomato plants 
    • Plant passion flower vine seeds
    • Refill green bird feeder
    • Pour weed killer on weeds on patio
    • Harvest the peanuts
    • Refill the hummingbird feeders
    • Pull weeds from pots
    • Turn the composting bin
  • Health:
    • Call gyneco to make annual appointment - I'll do that once I'm more comfortable with my weight because I know they'll be nagging me about it anyway.
    • Use recumbent bike 
    • Do 5 min of strength exercises  
    • Log food into My Fitness Pal
    • Record exercise in Walgreens Balance Rewards
    • Weigh myself (Wednesdays)
  • Kittens
    • Feed them every 4-6 hours- Done
    • Weigh them (5 p.m.) - Done
    • Call the vet if Tabby Kitten still hasn't pooped - he pooped
  • Maintenance:
    • See if I still have mildew-resistant white paint for bathroom ceiling
    • Get Greg to replace the ceiling tile in the entry room
    • Test the batteries in all 3 smoke detectors and replace as needed
    • Greg to call plumber
    • Wash the bathroom ceiling with bleached water
    • Remind Greg to re-secure chicken wire to AC unit and also to block off opening under front of the house
    • Scrub mildew off front of the house (porch, behind bushes, front stairs)
    • Install white beadboard in laundry room (will need to measure and purchase)
    • Install new stick-on tiles in laundry room (will need to remove ancient ones first)
    • Paint laundry room cabinets
    • Get Greg to fix/remove rotten wood on front porch
    • Make a list of which outlets need to be replaced and call Duke Energy Homewire Protection to schedule appointment
    • Ask electrician for estimate on installing outlet on front porch
    • Ask Greg to make me new tiled table for electric roaster on front porch
    • Get on flat roof, sweep it, and clean out the front gutter
    • Ask Greg to install gutter screens on the front gutter
    • Have Greg block the opening in the back fence
    • Pour bleach into furnace drain pipe
    • Check the AC furnace filters
    • Pour some Drano down the kitchen sink
    • Install new bathroom faucet knobs - reinstalled the original ones instead
    • Mend my fanny pack! 
  • Technology/Paperwork:
    • Caption old pictures that have already been scanned
    • Scan more old pictures
    • Create spreadsheet to track IRA contributions using ALL our old tax returns - Started but need to do more research.
    • Figure out if we should contribute to regular  or Roth IRAs for 2016 and fund them - I guess I need to wait until tax time next year, actually. I'll have until April 15, 2017 to fund 2016 IRAs so I need to work on taxes way sooner than I did this year so I'd have time to fund the IRAs and THEN file my taxes.
    • Download all blog photos from June through August to my external drive
    • Back up my external drive to my other external drive
    • File the remaining loose recipes that I organized already in appropriate recipe binders
    • Purge filing cabinet upstairs
    • File paperwork
    • Write new letter to great grand aunt (include kitten photos)
    • Go through the genealogical material crate
    • Scan what needs to be scanned (if anything)
    • Work on photo album for daughter's graduation
    • Return solar batteries to Amazon (printed label)
    • Reply to my French BFF's email
    • Pay credit cards
    • Mail baby card
    • Mail get well card
    • Look for any warranty on my silver chain
    • Write check for flood insurance - Done
    • Write Grocery Shopping post - Done

FRUGAL SUCCESSES
  • My son packed a lunch to take to school and rode the school bus.

  • I packed Greg leftovers but it doesn't look like he's going to the office so I put them back in the fridge.

  • I brewed a pot of half decaf coffee, using the free decaf won from Wawa.

  • I requested a free sample of Whiskas Temptations cat treats from Walmart. I'm not sure I'll get it because when I input my email address it said "you're already registered, please log in" but there wasn't a place to log in?!  So I just gave another email address and it seemed to go through. 


  •  I mixed a new batch of "Ten Things Farm Seasoning" and used some on the $0.99/lb chicken breasts that I am roasting in the electric roaster outdoors as we speak.


  • I reused the same length of aluminum foil that I have already used several times to cover the chicken while it roasted. It prevents the grease from splattering the inside of the roaster so I don't have to clean it.

  • I baked a batch of homemade Grape Nuts for Greg.  I can't bake those in the roaster so I had to use the main oven.  I'm letting them cool off in the turned off oven for extra crunchiness, and then I'll have to process them in the food processor and bake them a second time.

  • All of my homegrown pineapples have re-rooted, yay!

  • Today is double points search day on Bing/Microsoft Rewards.  I earned the maximum of daily points.

  • The "universal" bathroom faucet knob replacements that I purchased yesterday were just too complicated for me this morning.  I looked for the original knobs that used to be on the sink (because I replaced them with the larger ones that I liked but that no one else did), and true to my "let's not throw this away in case I can use them again!" nature, I found them. So I just put them back, without their caps that had broken off anyway. Instead, I very un-elegantly wrote "HOT" with a Sharpie on the top of the hot water knob.   I'll get a refund on the ones that I didn't use.

  • For lunch I made an egg salad sandwich on a hamburger bun, a salad with spinach, cucumber, tomato and avocado, and I had strawberries. All designed so Greg wouldn't throw up by smelling my food.  I ate it while watching the last episode of Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

  • I put the 1st season of "Law & Order" on hold at the library.

  • Tonight's dinner will be roasted chicken tacos and Zatarain's rice.

  • I placed an online order and qualified for free shipping, woohoo :)


  • I took 2 RaceTrac surveys and earned survey reward codes for 2 more freebies.

  • My son borrowed my bike to go to his Dungeons & Dragons Club meeting and returned my library materials for me.

  • I changed my mind for dinner. I made us chicken sandwiches with 2 of the breasts and served them with tortilla chips and salsa.


  • My Coke Rewards will be running a couple of promotions at the end of the month.



SPLURGES
  • Gas for my daughter to go to her college class.

  • I ordered a birthday gift for Greg and a Christmas gift for my youngest son, some soup bowls that I wanted and a decoration item for my house for the "winter".

  • I also ordered a tunnel toy for the kittens from Amazon.

  • Hot water for 2 loads of kitty laundry today and use of the dryer both times as well.

FAILURES
  • This would normally be considered a splurge but since he refuses to try to expense this, I'm counting it as a failure.  For Greg's next week's trip to Canada, he told me that there are 8 or 9 of them going to the same location so they'll need to "coordinate things" while they're there so he'll need to be able to use this cell phone for texts and roaming data.  So now we've got to get one of those international plans from AT&T which will give him unlimited texts but only 200 MB of data anyway and we still have to pay a per use fee above and beyond the cost of the international plan anyway ($1 per minute for calls).  It's $40+ tax that his employer absolutely should be refunding us.  

  • The Libman broom that I had requested for free via their website a few days ago won't be coming. I received this email this afternoon.  The coupon they emailed me is for $3.00 off an angled broom. I don't typically use those so unless I can get it almost for free, I won't use the coupon


CHORES
  • Kitten duty
  • Changed their bedding
  • Packed Greg's lunch
  • Folded clean towels and set them aside for kittens
  • Put away laundry rack in the shed
  • Researched AT&T Passport plans (again!)
  • Kitten duty
  • Unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher and ran it
  • Mixed some seasoning
  • Roasted chicken in roaster outside
  • Baked some Grape Nuts
  • Swept kitchen
  • Shower and self grooming!
  • Read non-fiction library book
  • Emptied small composting bin into large one
  • Deadheaded the roses
  • Kitten pee and poop duty
  • Changed their bedding
  • Started a load of kitty laundry
  • Gave a kitten a bath
  • Replaced bathroom faucet knobs
  • Worked on Bing Rewards
  • Kitten duty again!
  • Swept first floor 
  • Put a library book on hold
  • Ordered some gifts
  • Kitten duty again
  • Took customer satisfaction surveys
  • Worked on my Grocery Shopping post
  • Kitten duty
  • Kitty laundry
  • Fixed dinner for everyone

HEALTH
  • I'm irritable.  PMS shouldn't be a blank card for being a witch so I need to try an counter the impulse to want to strangle everyone today!

  • I was hungry today. I didn't log my food either because I grazed this afternoon. It wasn't anything bad and I'm sure I didn't go over my caloric allowance, but I can't remember exactly what I ate so I'm just going to skip today.
UNGRATITUDE
GRATITUDE
  • He seems to be feeling better tonight.
  • Tabby Kitten finally pooped and Dark Grey kitten didn't have any more diarrhea.

KITTEN UPDATE
Let's talk kitten poop!
  • No more diarrhea from Dark Grey Explorer, I hope he's OK now.
  • Light Gray Princess had a single, hard turd this morning and a hard time passing it. Update: she had another large but still hard one at the following feeding. Yes!
  • Tabby Kitty hasn't pooped since Monday morning. Uh oh. Update: he pooped today in the playpen. Hooray!  Also, he's going through a growth spurt because he put on 2 oz since last night and he's been eating a lot.
So I'm going to hold off on feeding them the baby cereal today and see what it does. I didn't work but the one time to get them to poop, and two of them have had soft green poop ever since. Of course, I changed their formula at pretty much the same time, so maybe it's the culprit. But that formula (KMR) is THE one that most kittens are given and their system should be used to it right now, so I don't really know what to think. I just wish they'd poop once a day like they're supposed to.


Also, they slept for 9 hours last night. That's great news for me but not such great news for them. I really need to wake them up after 6 hours for them to eat and pee/poop, I think.  This morning they were quite hungry once they woke up and ate almost twice their usual amount of formula.

Now they're awake...

The next minute, they're not!
Tabby Kitty is very strong for such a little thing.  He seems to be the one who is developing the fastest into a cat. He needs to be burped a lot as he is very greedy when he eats.  His coat is slick and soft. He is very loud when he's upset or hungry.  I wonder if he has some Bengal cat in his lineage because I think that his markings are a little unusual. Update: after looking at him some more, maybe it's wishful thinking. He's probably just a regular tabby cat :)

I flipped thought the "Adopting Cats and Kittens" library book that I had borrowed from the library. It didn't teach me anything new.

The kittens woke up every 3 to 4 hours today, probably because I didn't give them any cereal today. They drank a lot of formula, too.  I will give them cereal later on tonight so they sleep through the night, lol.


Arrgh, my phone took a blurry photo!  Don't they look comfy?!

When was the last time you were sick and did anyone pamper you?

23 comments:

  1. I had a bad day myself, although I was more in Greg's state, unfortunately. I work up early in the morning from a migraine (never good when the pain wakes you up) and while I was able to take my medication, I still ended up having to stay home and rest most of the day. I'm trying out a new medication for my migraines and while it definitely helped, I still felt awful for most of the day. I have yet to find a medication that actually allows me to function. I can write forever about migraines and how they have been and continue to be the bane of my existence, but I'll save you that sob story. :) If that's what Greg had, I'm sorry for everyone in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, no, no no, don't make me feel sorry for him, I was very comfortable feeling very irritated, LOL.

      I'm so sorry you were sick too. I heard about that weird tropical storm that developed over your area, do you think the change in air pressure might have triggered the migraine?

      Alison (from NOVA Frugal Family) recommended Rizatriptan. She said she started taking it for her migraines and it's a miracle drug for her. It's a prescription medication so of course Greg won't be able to take it since he refuses to see a doctor. I don't like doctors either and I avoid them like the plague but come on. If I'm in that much pain, I will go!

      I hope that you're feeling better today, Laura.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry you felt irritated today and Greg felt nauseated. Hope you both feel much better, tomorrow. (((Hugs)))

    As for the last time I was sick, well, I'm still recovering from my cancer surgery and treatment; my daughter and family and friends have all been pampering me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless! Greg is back to normal today (and thankfully went back to the office, lol!) and I'm still PMS'ing but I'm going to try to be a little more positive today :)

      It's so wonderful that you have had a large support system to pamper you through your illness. I obviously hope that I never find out for sure, but my suspicion is that the same wouldn't apply to me if I were to be really sick. Greg is not a nurturer. He wants things fixed and wouldn't have the patience to slug through diagnosis, treatment, etc. He does it to a small extent with his dad, but I can tell he is impatient with the whole process. Maybe it'd be different with his spouse, but I suspect not.

      My kids are oblivious. I think my youngest son would come and ask if I needed anything if I was close by, but that's about it. I have very few friends IRL. I think my BFF would be accessible via calls or texts but it would be exceedingly hard for her to help out with anything as she has a young child at home, lives 40 minutes away and works 2 jobs. My older sons are oblivious to anything else than themselves so I don't expect that either of them would come through either. My daughter usually leaves me alone when I'm sick, so I just don't know. My siblings are in France and wouldn't be able to come (lack of funds) and my mom can't travel by plane. It's kind of depressing when I think of it so let's just hope that nothing goes wrong!

      Well, so much for trying to be more positive today, lol. But I think it's a very fair assessment of what would happen, based on what I know of my family members. Yet, I guess people can surprise you...

      Delete
    2. Nathalie, I hope you never have to find out, but I am sure your family and friends will be there for you should anything happen. They might not be there in ways you might want them to be or how you'd be there for them (this is what I found out; we all have our different ways of showing we care), but they'll be there in ways they can be. And yes, people will surprise you. :)

      Delete
  3. Those darn kittens are so cute. But we're not going to get a new furry friend yet, we've been traveling quite a bit and it is easier without worrying about the furry ones. I want to thank you for the plug on your blog. That was very nice of you, and I will try to sneak some pictures of weird Al while we're there. I tend to only need pampering when I'm really sick as in hospitalized. Even then I don't like to be a bother and I prefer to be left alone. I think that our significant others sometimes complain a little bit more than us women would. Has your husband had a G.I. check up? I've noticed that he has a lot of stomach complaints. Because it kept a record or food diary to see your food sometimes triggers it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely going to be impossible for us to travel together anywhere, anytime soon, unless we get one of the kids to come cat and house sit and if one lives in the area, I'm sure that they would because they're cat crazy. But we tend to not travel together anyway so it's a moot point right now.

      Yes, please post pictures pf the concert if you can but if you can't, at least tell us about it, lol! I'm so upset I didn't know he was just here :(

      I'm like you, when I'm sick I go to my room and want to be left alone but not ignored, KWIM? I don't need someone at my beck and call but it would be nice to have Greg check in on my once in a while to see if I need water or food or anything. He does that when I'm not sick but when I am, he just disappears. I have been sick on several occasions for several days with the flu and felt so bad that all I could do was drag myself to the bathroom to get some water, and no one ever came to check in on me, see if I needed anything, if I wanted to eat, etc. It was actually horrible. Greg is a terrible nurturer when it comes to that and honestly, I'm thinking that if something was very wrong with me, I'd be pretty much left to deal with it on my own.

      When he is sick, I guess he wants company even though he won't talk and the rest of us have to curtail what we're doing since he's in the middle of the room feeling horrible. So everything's got to stop: no TV, no music, no candles, the curtains are drawn shut (most of the time), and then I feel like I can't do anything at all. Why can't he just stay in bed if he feels that horrible? I WILL go and check up on him! It drives me nuts.

      A couple of years ago he had a full GI check-up with a gastro enterologist: all kinds of blood tests, swallowed a pill camera to get a video of his digestive system up to the large colon, then colonoscopy for the other end. Before all the tests, the doctor was 100% sure he would diagnose him with Crohn's. After all the tests, the doctor had to admit he was stumped because all the tests came back as normal. He had a couple of small ulcers at the juncture of the small and large intestines, if I remember correctly, that showed on camera but by the time he had the colonoscopy just a few days later, they were gone. The doctor's only suggestion was to keep a food journal and he's refused to do that because it's too much work and doesn't want to go see another doctor. When he was feeling better last night, I suggested he goes to a doctor about the migraines seems it seems that he has them more frequently these days (call me paranoid but how many stories have we heard about people discovering they have brain tumors because of a bad headache?) but he just ignored me. I vent on my blog but I try not to show any irritation IRL, so I'm not totally heartless, lol.

      He did say that his nausea was probably caused by the cantaloupe that he had eaten the previous night, only because he almost never eats cantaloupe. I don't see how cantaloupe would bring him down the whole day like that, to my it's more likely that the about 15+ hours he spends every day on the computer, including playing video games with his headphones on for hours on end, are probably to blame for the headaches, nausea, etc. But of course he poo-poo'es that idea because I couldn't possibly be right. Sigh. Of course, if he did keep a food journal, maybe someone would discover that a certain type of foods make him sick, but as I said, he refuses and I'm not the one who's going to do it for him.

      Aren't you sorry you asked, now? hahaha. He is back to normal this morning and went to work so hooray! Now I have to work that PMS out of my system because admittedly, I'm not exactly a ray of sunshine right now :)

      Have a great day, Ms. Sandie. Can I just call you "Sandie" or would that upset you?

      Delete
  4. Call me anything you like. 😀 I have Crohns, that's why I asked if he had a GI work up. Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you telling me you had Crohn's. That's gotta be difficult, I know that you've had to give you eating your favorite veggies raw. Honestly, we were very relieved to find out that he doesn't have Crohn's, especially when that smug doctor (oh, he was so smug!) had already diagnosed him before running any tests! But it's still annoying that we don't know what's wrong with him. He's had digestive system issues since he was a teen and I've been wondering if it was linked to the Accutane that he was prescribed back then. Regardless, they haven't been able to find out what ails him. His sister has something similar (but not totally the same) and got a diagnosis of IBS but Greg's doctors, through the years, have said he doesn't have IBS.

      Delete
  5. Well I am relieved to hear that he had a full work-up two years ago. I remember all the trouble he was having before you and the kids went off to France. I remember asking what the doctors were telling him, and you told me how much he hated going to see any doctors. So he must have had those tests after you got back from your trip?? I am relieved actually. Like I have said before, I feel sorry for anyone who experiences any kind of head pain. They are the worst. But now that I hear that he still won't see a doctor, I feel sorry for you.

    I have been having "nervous energy" today. I may be more upset about my Sweetie than I let on. He got up today, but maybe for only 30-45 minutes before going back upstairs to bed. The cough doesn't seem to be letting up and his joints are achy. So I hope it is just a small bug. Anyways, it took several hours to read today's blog post because I kept jumping up to bake dog cookies, do a load of laundry, etc,. etc. Now I have eaten my lunch, I feel tired enough to nap. Too bad I didn't take some of that anxiety into the craft room this morning. *laugh*

    Whenever I have been sick or been hospitalized, my Sweetie feels so powerless, he is angry with himself. He will do what needs to be done, but seems unable to give that emotional support, because I think he is frightened. So when I have needed help after surgery, I have relied on my daughter and my friends. Fortunately, I have seldom been really sick. I remember once feeling so bad with flu, I begged my daughter to stay home from school just so I wouldn't be alone. That one scared me. But usually, I will stay in bed and sleep when I am feeling under the weather.

    Those kitties are getting so darn cute, I can't stand it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm terrible at guessing how long it's been since something happened, I always think it was "2 years ago: when it fact it was longer ago. So it could have been 3-4 years. Probably 3 years this Fall. Definitely before I went to France with the kids, I'm thinking the fall of 2013? I seem to remember that my stepmom hadn't passed yet.

      My dad was the same at the end of her life: he was so scared of taking care of her at the end, when I got there he told everyone that they had already said their goodbyes and then he left me and the friends who had offered to come help take care of her. At the very end, it was just me (and the French Hospice-type of service staff who visited a couple of times a day) and my dad was downstairs, usually "holding court" with visitors. It was quite jarring as I myself couldn't imagine not wanting to be with my spouse of 40 years at the end of his life. He came to talk to her a few days before her death (she was very heavily medicated so not actively conscious but would wake up to tell me she was in pain once in a while despite all the morphine she was getting!) because it was her birthday. And the next time he saw her was 3 days later when I woke him up to tell him that she had passed. Quite honestly, I'm not sure that I've forgiven him for it. It sure made my life easier because he's a very very difficult man (I had put my brother in charge of distracting him for a while, until he was an ass to my brother once again and my brother just left, in the middle of a snow storm, with bad brakes and no cell phone... my dad lives on a mountain in the Alps so I was so worried about my brother's safety on top of everything else!) but I don't understand how he could just be in the same house as her for 2 weeks and laugh and seemingly enjoy himself with the visitors every day with her dying upstairs. Anyhow, what's done is done. I don't think Greg would be visiting with anybody because he's like me, but I'm thinking (and we have joked about) him being on his computer playing video games with his headphones on and him not even noticing that I had passed on. A little bit of levity which masks the fact that I have serious doubts about the level of care that he would be willing to do if called to. I'm hoping I'm wrong and he would be pissed if he read what I'm typing here, LOL.

      Your husband sounds like he has the flu but be careful that his chest congestion doesn't become bronchitis or pneumonia. Poor guy. He probably should be getting lots of rest and lots of liquids to loosen that congestion.

      I clean when I'm anxious too. Or angry. Anger is very good at making me clean everything, lol. I guess I don't get angry enough.

      I agree, the kittens are so darn cute! They've been asleep for a few hours and once in a while one will wake up and just sit there very quietly, looking towards me. So I try to avoid making eye contact and it falls back asleep, lol. It's just a nice change from them waking up and starting to cry for food right away :)

      I hope you do take a nap!

      Delete
  6. Nathalie, kittens seem harder work than children, I don't remember worrying too much about whether the kids had done a poo or not. After five kids I often feel sorry for people with babies but I'm starting to feel sorry for you even if they are cute.

    Poor Greg, he is unwell quite often isn't he! Is it linked to food allergies?

    You seem to be picking up a few gifts here and there, good for you.

    I see you are still eating well, well done I have had a nightmare since I've gone back to work and I'm starting to feel rubbish because of it. Not good!

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I did scrutinize my kids' poop when they were little babies but they usually weren't constipated... Yes, the kittens are a lot of work because they're just like babies. The upside is that they're growing up fast and don't have colic, lol. And they're fuzzy and purr when I pick them up and when they're done eating and burping, they nuzzle my neck and cheek and purr, purr, purr. It's lovely! Right now they're confined to the baby play pen but before long they'll be running around and then, watch out, it's gonna be stressful. Especially when they start trying to do their claws on my living room curtains or rugs, I remember when New Kitty was doing that last year, it took quite a while for her to understand the purpose of the scratch posts and boards. But she did get it after a while. They bring much joy to us, we are delighted. The only two who aren't are Mean Kitty (especially her!) and New Kitty (who will come around, I have no doubt).

      I did get a few things for stockings, nothing exciting. But you've got to start somewhere and I tend to fill the kids' stocking with beauty or self-care items such as razors, deodorant, etc. Things that they hate to spend their own money on, especially once they're out on their own. Candy too.

      Yes, Greg is unwell quite often. We have no idea what it's all about. He says that the migraine brought on the nausea and felt that the cantaloupe he ate brought on the migraine. I think it's eye strain from the video gaming and computer time. He's always with his nose on a screen. If it's not the computer, it's his phone or his Kindle, although this week he's been reading a "real" book.

      Tara, you've got to get back on the horse! You were my inspiration! Come on, now. You can do it! Why are you eating crap? You still pack your lunch, right?

      Delete
  7. I've had some of those irritable days recently. It happens usually when I'm really tired. I've tried to warn everyone ahead of time to stay away from me or I might yell at them. :)

    It must be very frustrating for you to watch Greg be sick but not be willing to do more things to help himself. But you can't do it for him.

    And those kitties are really growing. The little girl reminds me of my cat, Lucy, who died last December. She was a great cat as I'm sure all of these will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice of you to give advance warning! I track my period in an app (because I'm so forgetful) so when I see that it's due soon, I tell Greg to start watching out because I can turn into a real witch. It's not an excuse but I get really irritable. It's annoying for everyone, including myself.

      And yes, watching him taking dumb guesses as to why he might have such and such problem but not actually being willing to investigate the cause with the help of a professional, even if it's just to get a prescription that might help, is very frustrating. There are a lot of migraine treatments out there and Alison was kind enough to recommend something that works great for her but that is a prescription medication. It drives me nuts that he just seems to pointlessly wallow in pain. I hate doctors but if there is a drug out there that can make me feel better, I'm going! Anyway, it is what it is. Maybe one day he will "see the light".

      I'm sorry you lost your kitty cat last December. Sometimes (before the kittens) I dream of a cat-free house because the cat hair is so annoying, but losing a pet is really painful so I hope our cats have a long life ahead of them. My brother's cat celebrated 20 years this year!

      Delete
  8. There are those days that everything is horrible and you just can't get a positive view. I know that I have been there for sure. Especially when my normal behavior is disrupted. My mother or mother in law come to visit and I can't take a nap (bad mood), husband in the kitchen when I need to make lunches (bad mood), and the list goes on!! I understand not being able to shake the funk that starts in the morning. Hoping that you are having a better day now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh, husband in the way in the kitchen is a guaranteed annoyance! When Greg is in the kitchen, unless his butt is in his chair, you can be guaranteed that he's in my way every time I take a step.

      I had a good day today. No one was here, everyone left me alone, the kittens are cutie patooties :) I hope you had a good day too.

      Say, didn't you just say you needed to get off the computer and be productive? ROFLMAO.

      Delete
  9. It must be something going around...I had a really terrible bout of nausea on Thursday at work. It was so bad I had to lie down on one of the couches. Then I ended up puking in the bathroom (at least it was in the bathroom - ha!), and after that I felt better. I haven't thrown up in like 15 years or so... When I told my husband about it, he joked that I broke a record streak of not throwing up.

    I hardly ever get sick, so when I do I just want to go on and get it over with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How odd! Maybe you ate something bad? At least you felt better afterwards and you didn't miss the bathroom... especially at work! With that nice meeting space you have! That would have been a little mortifying.

      So back when I was in college in Dijon, I had the flu but decided to go grocery shopping anyway. I had to take the bus to the supermarket and back. As I stood in line at the cash register, I wasn't feeling good and I totally fainted and fell to the ground. When I came to, I had peed my pants! of course, I was wearing light tan pants and of course I had a short jacket on that day instead of my longer winter coat (which would have probably been wet too anyway!). They walked me to a rest area in the BACK of the store. So I got to walk the store with my wet pants. And then it was time to leave so I had to walk back through the whole store with my wet pants. And then cross the whole parking lot with my wet pants, wait for the bus in my wet pants, and then take the 10 minute bus ride standing up there with my wet pants. You know what? I felt so badly because of the flu, I didn't even care. Now when I think of it, I cringe so much, lol.

      I don't get sick very often either (usually once a year or less) but when I do, it's usually a doozy.

      I'm glad you're back to normal!

      Delete
  10. Oh, and that last picture with the kitten sitting on Greg's shoulder? Priceless!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree :) They're all so cute I have to talk in between my teeth when I say that because I just can't stand it, lol! We're all talking to them in baby voices, it's quite comical, actually. They are much loved.

      Delete
  11. I have a rule in our home...one can't *bitch* unless he or she has done something to try and solve the problem/alleviate the issue FIRST. For example, if I have a headache (which, unfortunately, happens often because I have been diagnosed with lovely "cluster migraines"), I can't complain unless I have taken medication and/or gone to the doctor for it. So, if my hubby starts complaining of a headache, I ask him if he has taken Tylenol or whatever. If not, I usually get it out for him. At that point, if he takes it and complains, I will listen sympathetically. Now, if this becomes a pattern and the Tylenol ceases to work, the next logical step would be to call the doctor to schedule an apptmt, which takes an act of congress! lol I adore my hubby, but men can drive ya nuts with that sort of thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like a reasonable rule, but I guess I would count "talking about what's wrong to see what our options are to solve the problem" as "trying to solve/alleviate the problem". We really dislike drugs as a default so we usually hold off on those and sometimes too long! There have been times when a headache has been solved by drinking more water or eating some protein, for example. The saltwater gargling for a sore throat? That's the first thing any doctor will tell you to do.

      I agree with you, men can drive you nuts! But then I refuse to go see any doctor for anything too, hahaha. But Greg gets sicks much more often than I do. He has a fragile constitution and he's around people all the time when I get to stay home by myself.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!