Saturday, September 24, 2016

Saturday at Home ~ 9/24/16

It's 10:15 a.m. already on Saturday morning and I was fretting that I hadn't really done anything yet but then I remembered that I'm not posting a To Do List on the weekends anymore, which really means that I'm not worrying about chores... too much!

The kittens slept for close to 10 hours!  I wish I could say that I slept through the night but I was up at least 4 times to use the bathroom (grr) and then Greg was up a lot too, it seems and I kept on hearing him.

I watched some Law & Order episodes on the TV last night, but it looked like Greg might fall asleep in his chair (he's congested) and I wanted to fall asleep with the DVD playing on my laptop so I could use the headphones, so I turned off the TV at about 11:00 a.m. and tried playing the DVD on the laptop. All the others had played without any problem, but this one gives me error messages, something to do with the copyright and encryption and having to update my video card (the DVD is from 2003 and I bought my laptop 2-3 years ago so I doubt that updating my video card is going to do anything!) so I gave up and just put "The Wonder Years" on via Netflix on my Kindle Fire, closed the cover so I wouldn't be woken up by the screen glare, and just fell asleep listening to the episode, lol.  So it was better than playing a DVD on the laptop. Meanwhile, Greg went to bed. He must have not slept well, possibly because of the jetlag combined with his cold and congestion, because I heard him toss and turn all night and he even came down the stairs a couple of times. We have an old house so the stairs scream and creak when you use them... enough said.  Now he's sleeping away when I need him to wake up to give me his laundry that I have to wash before his trip tomorrow.  I wish he had just brought it down last night.  But this man doesn't think ahead (from his own admission), and he took his suitcase up instead of taking it straight to the laundry room.  So I'm in a holding pattern.

My son just got up and mentioned that his earbuds broke last night so he and I will be headed to Walgreens later on today to get him another pair, and we'll sneak in a haircut while we're at it since Middle Son will be taking pictures of him and his sister next Saturday.

I just defrosted the salmon for dinner tonight.  We still have half a danish and most of the blueberry pie so I won't be baking again today (plus there are 3 half loaves of pumpkin chocolate bread in the freezer!).

I've replied to my mom's email and sent her pictures and videos of the kids and kittens. I've checked the news (another mass shooting.  Good grief!) and replied to blog comments.  The house is quiet because all the cats are sleeping, my son is on his computer and Greg and my daughter are both still sleeping.  I feel vaguely restless.  I doubt that Greg will want to go walk today. He's exhausted and sick and has been away for most of the week so he probably just wants to play videogames... especially since he won't be able to once he's at his parents'.

Is 10:26 a.m.too early for me to plop a DVD in?  lol.  I do have to peruse the 2nd Sri Lankan cookbook that I had borrowed, as well as the Florida's Fabulous Birds book that I finally received from the Amazon third party vendor. I guess I should get on with it...

My daughter colored her hair again!  This time she picked a brown color to cover the slight green sheen her blond hair still had. It looked very dark when wet but once she dried it, it's not to dark and we can still kind of see greenish. Plus her natural color roots are now dark brown when the rest of the hair isn't. Sigh. I just wish she would stop with the self-experimenting and go to a good salon!

  • I brewed a pot of half decaf with the free decaf won from Wawa.

  • I replied to my mom's email and attached pictures and videos from the kids and kittens, which was, of course, free, compared to mailing her actual pictures and a letter.

  • MyCokeRewards sent me an email announcing Triple Points for Diet Coke codes next Friday (9/30) which would be awesome-r if there was a way to differentiate Diet Coke caps from other caps. I suppose the silver ones usually are regular Diet Coke.  Maybe gold ones too? I need to go to RaceTrac to observe the bottles because I just don't know these things, LOL.

  • My son and I went to run a few errands:
    • South Lake Animal League thrift store:
      • We dropped off the box of donations that I had set aside.
      • We went inside to find some kitten supplies. I did find a comfy bed for $5 (a little pricey but the one that was only $1 wasn't anywhere near as nice and comfy), and 2 food/drink bowls for $0.75 each. I'm thinking that maybe the metal bowls that I was planning on using are reflecting them when they approach to drink water and they get scared so I got plastic ones to see if it'll make a difference. Plus I can use them for them they're bigger.
      • I looked for Law & Order DVDs but they didn't have any.
      • We looked for earbuds for my son but they didn't have any either.
      • I totally forgot to look for a trashcan that I wanted to use for the kittens' paper towels, etc. I've been using my own desk trash can but I need an extra one.
      • My OOP was $6.95 and I charged it to USAA Visa for 10% back in Rewards.

    • I checked my son in at Great Clips via their app so he wouldn't have to wait when we got there.
    • Before we drove over there, we stopped by Park Pals to take in the new playground that replaced the old wooden castle playground. What.a.disappointment. I'm glad my kids are grown and got lots of playtime on the old playground.
What the heck is THAT?!! Ugh.
    • Then I dropped my son off with our prepaid card and $2 in cash for the tip at Great Clips, and went to Publix to get some OJ for Greg.  The haircut ($9.99 with the prepaid card) cost us nothing OOP, save for the tip, since I bought the card last December.

    • At Publix, I got:
      • OJ for Greg. I splurged and got the Premium Not from Concentrate OJ for $3.00 as opposed to the "from Concentrate" for $2.59 because my honey is sick!
      • 4 packs of Dole Mixations, on sale @ $2.00 each and I had (4) $1.00/1 printable coupons (so 40 SB once they're redeemed!)
      • 2 packages of mini naan (because I'm addicted to those now but too lazy to make them myself!), on BOGO @ $2.99
      • My OOP was $9.99 and I paid with USAA Visa for 10% back in Rewards.

    • We went to Walgreens to buy a new pair of earbuds for my son. I was offering to buy him branded ones for about $20 but he balked at the price (so my son!) and elected to buy the cheapest pair at $5.99 even though they weren't really the style that he wanted.  I paid the $6.41 OOP with my USAA Visa for 10% back in Rewards and earned 50 Balance Rewards points.

    • We stopped by the library, where my son returned the Law & Order DVDs that are due on Monday.

  • My lunch was an egg salad sandwich on a mini naan and some chips and salsa.  Greg had a turkey sandwich, chips and grapes.

  • Today Greg remembered that college football was on TV, so I tried to use the laptop my MIL gave us recently to watch the Law & Order DVDs but that laptop has Windows 10 so no Windows Media Player (isn't that INSANE?!). I put last night's DVD in my laptop again to see if I got the same result as last night, and today I didn't get the weird error message at all, it started to play but it was  freezing.  So I played it in the BluRay player because Greg decided he wasn't interested in the game anyway.  Once it was over, I tried the next DVD (that didn't look scratched) in my laptop again and that one did work!  Go figure!  Greg is going to watch football again at 3:30 p.m. so this is perfect timing.

  • I took 2 RaceTrac surveys and earned reward codes for 2 more freebies.

  • I took 2 Driscoll's surveys and, hooray, they fixed their glitch and I was able to print all 4 of my $1.00/1 coupons.

  • I earned the Daily Bing Rewards and a few Swagbucks.

  • CVS sent me a 30% off coupon for cleaning supplies that I uploaded to my ExtraCare card, even though it is unlikely that I will use it.

  • MobiSave refunded me the $1.00 for the GoVeggie parmesan. I had completely forgotten that they didn't credit me right away.

  • When it was time to cook dinner, I really didn't feel like cooking and Greg suggested we get pizza but then immediately changed his mind and said he would have canned soup but the kids and I should get pizza. And then he settled down to watch football, which meant that I was going to have to go get my own pizza.  Grrr.  So I decided to cook the salmon that I had defrosted and make some Minute Mixed Grain rice in the microwave.  I made Coriander Crusted Salmon, which is very quick and delicious.  I served one of the large naans bought earlier in the month, cutting it in quarters.  The kids weren't excited about having salmon so I heated up some of the teriyaki chicken left over from last night.  But since I had cooked all the salmon and Greg is leaving in the morning,  I now have salmon leftovers and still more chicken teriyaki leftovers!  I guess this means that I won't be cooking for the next couple of nights... yay!

  • Gas to run errands
  • Earbuds for my son
  • Kitten bedding and bowls
  • Better quality OJ for Greg :)
  • Hot water for the kitten laundry and dryer for the towels and new bedding

  • RaceTrac hasn't released new coupons to my app in almost 2 weeks!  They might have thought I was saving too much?!

  • I have to admit that I haven't enjoyed the latest candles that I bought from Bath & Body Works as much as the one that I had burned before (that was discontinued).  This one was a disappointment as well. They just smell sweet for a little while (and make me hungry) and then they just smell... like burnt sugar.

  • Kitten duty
  • Changed the towel at the bottom of the pen
  • Relocated the pen and kittens to the Cat Room
  • Replied to blog comments
  • Composed and sent email to my mom
  • Made plans to run errands with my son
  • Kitten duty with Greg
  • Playtime with kittens and Greg and our son
  • Ran errands with my son
  • Texted with Middle Son's ex-girlfriend (sob!)
  • Fixed lunch for Greg and myself
  • Did a load of kitten laundry
  • Washed my and Greg's laundry
  • Input receipts into my spreadsheets
  • Took Customer Satisfaction surveys
  • Kitten duty 
  • Kitty playtime!
  • Watched Law & Order and caught up on blogs
  • Cooked dinner
  • Replied to blog comments

  • Today was still a day off from my diet and exercise.  I need to get back on the horse tomorrow. Seriously.

  • To have had a day to spend with my honey today. We played with the kittens, spent time together and generally hung out.
  • That he doesn't seem to be sicker than having a head cold.
  • That the kittens are so very cute and that the older cats left them alone today.
  • For Sandie to have thought of me when she saw this sign in PA today, lol!
So true!


We played with them for quite a while last night after their last feeding.  Dark Explorer was fearless and walked straight up to Male Cat and New Kitty, who had been observing them walking around and playing with the tunnel and other things in the Cat Room.  Male Cat, true to his nature, just walked away because he's kind of afraid of the kittens (!).  New Kitty also walked away!  Later on, she came to sniff Princess Poopy Bottom's butt, very carefully, and never hissed or spit and then walked away!  We gave her much praise.  Hopefully this placing the kittens in the Cat Room during the day and then letting the older cats relax at night by taking the kittens back into the living room is working...

The adorable munchkins are a lot more adventurous!  Last night, Dark Explorer even climbed up the couple of steps that leads from the Cat Room to the breezeway. He didn't proceed down the breezeway, but kept on going up and down the stairs, which is a huge effort because of his tiny size. No wonder they slept for 10 hours afterwards!  He's the only one to have attempted going up and especially down the stairs, though. He's also the only one whom I always find on top of the "bedroom" box!

For those interested in such matters (!), he did have a solid poop this morning, although I had to coax him. All three of them peed, although only two peed in the litterbox and the third decided to pee on the floor (towel) of the playpen.  But they haven't peed where they sleep for quite a few days so that's definitely progress.  I did hear one kitten get up last night to use the litterbox, probably Princess Poopy Bottom because she makes little cries when she pees, but then she marched herself right back into the "bedroom" and went back to sleep :)

I have to drive Greg to the airport quite early tomorrow, something like 5 a.m. or 5:30 a.m., so I'll need to coordinate their feeding time with that, probably wake up way earlier to feed them as it's a 2-hour roundtrip to the airport and they're quite famished when they first wake up in the morning.  So hopefully no late night for us tonight.  Correction: we have to leave at about 6:30 a.m., which is a little better!

I want to figure out some kind of a play area for the kittens.  The tunnel is still a big scary place for them, although Princess PB has been in it a couple of times. She gets freaked out by the dingling ball that hanging at one of the entrances, though, and another part of the tunnel crinkles when they walk, which is scary to them.  I'm thinking about fashioning a smaller tunnel for them out of posterboard. And also put some boxes for them to climb in and out of. I have kept several small Amazon boxes for Christmas shipping and I'm thinking this would work.  Plus the big cats, like all cats, looooove boxes so it might be a common ground for them to get closer to one another...

This morning, Tabby Kitty came out of the "bedroom" and sat in the playpen for a while, staring at Male Cat who was staring at him... 

Feeding time!

The kittens tried out the new bed after I washed it.  

My two little grey explorers weren't interested and had a lot of exploring to do under the furniture...

But Tabby Kitty?  Yeah, he liked it just fine!
What is the most comfortable piece of furniture in your house?


  1. She gets freaked out by the dingling ball that hanging at one of the entrances, though, and another part of the tunnel crinkles when they walk, which is scary to them. Isn't it weird what scares kittens or cats, and what attracts them (like my cat that fell in love with my tripod)?

    It reminded me of this video (kitten scared of apples - ha!):

    1. LOL, that video is priceless! Love it and I can't decide if I love the kitten or the soundtrack more, hahaha, especially the piccolos at the end :) Thanks for sharing it! I sent it to my kids.

  2. Aw, looks like somebody likes his new bed! That is such a cute picture! They are ALL so cute!

    Sounds like you had a good day. Sorry Greg has a cold, but glad he was able to come home for at least a day. Hope he has a safe flight to his parents' home.

    Glad you have enough leftovers to not have to cook for a couple of days. It'll make things easier for you.

    Hope you are having a peaceful day today and that the rest of the week goes well for you.

    1. I have to concur... each time I think I have a favorite, then the others melt my heart too. I truly don't prefer one over the other, they're ALL so darn lovable and sweet!

      Greg did have a safe flight to his parents' and got to enjoy some time with his baby grandson since his daughter and son-in-law had driven there for the weekend as well.

      My day was very peaceful, I hope yours was as well!

  3. I love the markings on the little Tabby. Such a pretty kittie!

    Mmmmm. Salmon for dinner. Yes please. It will be wonderful to know what you are enjoying for dinner the next couple of nights. When the teriyaki chicken is done, the kids can have pasta. Easy peasy. I could eat salmon night after night. I love it so much. But my Sweetie doesn't eat much fish, unless it is deep fried and comes with a side of chips, of course. So I don't make a lot of it.

    I think the kittens are going to love their new bed. Tabby looks so comfy in it. Such a darling photo. That was an amazing price for a new-to-you cat bed.

    1. Do you think it was a good price? They're sleeping in it now so I can't check the brand but I just spotted a similar one on the Walmart website and it was $30, so that would be a great price. I just saw others for cheaper ($10ish) but they're definitely not as fluffy as the one I picked up! The kittens love it so it WAS a great price, lol.

      How sad you can't eat your salmon because your hubby insists on it being fried! Maybe next time you can freeze it in a one-person portion and just make it for yourself while making something else for your sweetie? The one thing I love about salmon is that it cooks so fast! me I'm very glad I decided to cook it instead of going out to eat because the whole meal only took me about 20 minutes and most of that time was spent peeling the skin off the salmon. I really wish they sold it already skinned.

    2. That was a steal for the fluffy bed! At Petsmart, those are $40 on sale. Ha! It looks brand new too! Great find!

    3. Gotta love those thrift stores! Especially that one as it benefits the South Lake Animal League so they have a whole section of pet supplies, which is awesome.

  4. I try not to buy the salmon fillets with skin, even though it doesn't bother me to remove the skin on my plate. Usually, I buy the High Liner sleeves with the four already skinned fillets in them. But they are expensive. I used to buy the sleeve when they sold for $5.99, but not anymore. They run around $7.99 now.

    1. Most of the recipes don't require me to skin the fillets and I don't mind doing that on my plate either. But this one called for covering the whole fillet with coriander/salt/pepper and it seemed a waste to leave the skin on since I don't eat it. Thankfully, it was only on the underside and it came off pretty easily. I just don't like doing it.


Anything you'd like to add? Share away!