Monday, September 26, 2016

This Week's Dinner Plans


Each week I peek in my fridge, freezer, and garden, to see what needs to be used up and I take a couple of minutes to think of ways to use up those ingredients in the next few days...

I'm going to depart from my regular format of listing what I need from the freezer, etc, since none of those dishes are new to me and I know that I already have everything needed to cook them.

MONDAY:  Portobello Mushroom Stroganoff

  • Notes: it will allow me to use up those portobello mushroom caps that I bought almost 2 weeks ago!  If they're not good anymore, I'll defrost some turkey smoked sausage instead.


TUESDAY:  Hamburgers and Corn on the Cob with Side Salad

  • Notes: I really need to use up those ears of corn that I bought last week as well as the last hamburger buns.



WEDNESDAY: Honey Pecan Crusted Pork Chops and Mashed Sweet Potatoes
  • Notes: the sweet potatoes that I harvested back in early July and then again a couple of weeks ago are still on my counter so I'm going to use up some of them.

THURSDAY:  Caribbean Rice and Grilled Chipotle Chicken Sausages

  • Notes: this will be a very easy dinner as the Caribbean Rice is a mix from Zatarain's.


FRIDAY: Breakfast for Dinner

  • Notes: the French toast from last week wasn't a great success (Walmart's French bread doesn't work for it, it was way too soggy) so this week I'll make waffles. I usually run out of steam to make them at dinner time so I'll try to make them in the afternoon and I'll just toast them at dinner time.  I'll make scrambled eggs to go with them and serve the whole thing with orange slices.


SATURDAY:  Homemade Pizza, Salad

  • Notes: I'll need to make my own pizza dough. In the past I haven't been very successful with it, but this time I'll try the bread maker recipe. I also plan on using the pizza pan that I had bought at Aldi several months ago and have yet to try.  For toppings, I have pepperoni and I think I have ham in the freezer that I can defrost.


SUNDAY:  Tuna Patties, White Rice and Green Bean Casserole

  • Notes: An old favorite, tuna patties are so easy to make and tasty!  I need to use up veggies from the freezer and I have quite a few green beans that I'll turn into a casserole.  I haven't looked up a recipe yet but I'm confident that I have everything that I would need because I am so stocked up!


What's cooking in your kitchen this week?

8 comments:

  1. I plan menus much the same way as you did this week. What do I need to use before it goes bad? I'd better go take a look in the fridge to see what we're having.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really the best way to avoid food waste and be frugal, isn't it? Of course, I'm going to be a total hypocrite now and admit that our plans changed tonight and I'll now be picking up dinner from McDonald's. Oops.

      Delete
  2. Yum! Everything sounds delicious! Even the portobello mushroom dish and I don't like mushrooms!

    Note to self: Do not read Nathalie's weekly dinner plans when I haven't eaten breakfast, yet! It makes me too hungry! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I'll try to remember posting next week's menu at 3 p.m. or later next week, that way it'll be lunchtime for you :)

      Delete
  3. I have a great pizza dough recipe for the bread machine. It makes a double batch and I use the second half to make garlic knots for a side or another meal for the freezer. I highly suggest it!!! I haven't used it forever because my picky son doesn't like homemade pizza!!! UGH!! Winter time is coming and I hope that I am going to be able to make some yummy breakfast for dinner on the weekends because we haven't been doing it and I have lots of milk that is going to waste :( I hate that!!! Waffles and pancakes use them up quickly and extra freeze great. Sounds like a yummy week...without enough chicken!!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yum, garlic knots! I had to get rid of some milk this morning too, that had been sour for a while. I had wanted to use it in baking, but I haven't been baking, or at least anything that contains milk. I used to bake waffles for the kids and freeze them when they were younger but I haven't done that in a while mostly because I never have any room in the freezer. I'm loving that we can have breakfast for dinner again this week since Greg is gone again. A small consolation... Have a great week!

      Delete
  4. I'm getting hungry reading your menu for the week. I used to be really good about planning meals, but it's too easy to slide into the "whatever" mode these days. My husband isn't picky (thanks goodness!) and when nothing is planned (often) or we are both tired (even more often), we resort to salad and veggie burgers (my husband) or a piece of marinated, microwaved salmon (me). I'm trying to stay away from frozen dinners these days, since my doctor said to watch the sodium intake.

    Where are my lottery winnings and the personal chef that comes with that??? Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we lived closer, we could get together and hire Laura from All That Junk in My Trunk to be our personal chef. She loves cooking and her dishes always look amazing.

      I wonder how good I'll be with menu planning when it's just the two of us at home. Just this afternoon I was thinking "I want to order Chinese tonight" and then I remembered that I'm supposed to be watching what I eat. Waaaa. I might still succumb to the temptation. It's 90 minutes before I'm supposed to be making the tuna patties and rice but General Tso's Chicken (even the mediocre one from our mediocre Chinese restaurant) sounds much better!

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!