Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Walking by the Lake


There's a small lake just a block away from our house. You can't walk all the way around it, but you can walk along the one side.  This morning the weather was beautiful and the kittens were asleep, so I grabbed my cameras, my hat and my walking shoes and I decided to take a small walk by the lake.


Banana tree

Bananas and flower

Close up of the bananas




The city has placed a few benches along the way but I kept moving along.



I kept hoping I would see an egret sitting on top of the cows that live at the far edge of the lake, but it wasn't to be today, Pixel!

Lance-leaved arrowhead

I spotted a lost bobber and thought of Live & Learn.  I love the reflections in the water in this picture. Very impressionistic.

I bent down to examine magnolia seed pods that had fallen to the ground and when I looked up, I saw this squirrel spying on me from above. It was strangely silent. Usually they're cackling to warn you off but this one didn't make a sound!

Magnolia seed pod and seeds... that were chewed by the squirrels!

Still staring!

I kept hearing a very pretty bird song but didn't spot this bird until it flew on top of a structure behind a metallic fence.  I'm too tired to look up what kind of bird it is right now. I'll have to come back and update this post later :)

Pretty bromeliads at the base of a tree on my way home.
I took many more pictures but they didn't turn out :(

Have you taken a walk in your neighborhood recently?

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your nature posts. You are quite versed in local flora and Fauna. Were you this interested in nature when you were growing up in France?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you're enjoying them!

      I'm a very late bloomer when it comes to being interested in nature. I grew up quite poor in the projects so there wasn't a lot of nature around. I did go mushroom picking with my grandmother and dad when I was little, and both my sets of grandparents were avid gardeners so I guess they "planted the seeds" so to speak. But they didn't germinate until I was already in my 40s and I'm not a good gardener.

      I just became really interested in the local flora and fauna this year! I have a couple of reference books that I use. Were my memory better, I'd be able to recognize everything right away. Unfortunately, my memory is terrible so I have to keep on looking up the same flowers and birds and butterflies, lol!

      Delete
  2. How lucky to have a lake a block away! Looks like a lovely place for a walk.

    Did you know that banana flowers are edible, too? We make a curry with it. That squirrel was probably worried you were going to eat his magnolia seeds!

    The blue flowers look like they maybe Commelina (dayflower).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make curry from babana flowers, but of course, lol! Sri Lankans sound like they are adept that eating pretty much anything that grows in Sri Lanka. I admire the determination of your ancestors to find new sources of food!

      We have a lot of lakes in Lake County, lol. There is another tiny one one block away in the other direction, it's more like a pond, really. Houses back up on it so you can't really walk about that one either. I love our county. A lot of triathletes come to train here, in Clermont, as a matter of fact (we also have several Olympians who train locally).

      Thanks for the name (maybe) for the blue flowers. I know I have them in my field guide but I was too tired to look it up yesterday and didn't get a chance today.

      Delete
  3. Thanks to you, I finally know that those flowers are lance-leaved arrowhead! We have those growing by the lakes here, too, but I never knew what they were.

    I keep seeing egrets and cows, too. Just not on top of each other. Not that a cow would be on top of an egret...but you know what I mean. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! A cow trying to climb on top of an egret would indeed be a sight! You might spot an egret standing under a cow, though...

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!