Monday, October 24, 2016

Day Book: Monday 10/24/16



Outside my window... the windows are opened again!  It's nice and cool (65F/18.3C) as of 9:12 a.m. and sunny for now, although the forecast calls for an overcast day with a high of 78F/25.5C).

I am thinking... that I'm very happy that I live far away from my French family and that I'm not on Facebook because I'm kept in the dark, generally, about a lot of drama, apparently.

I am thankful for... a purring kitten on my chest right now that's helping me cope with the stress of news I heard from my French family this morning.

From the learning rooms... not much happening this week. My daughter has more training at Walt Disney World coming up later on this week.  She told me last night that she is getting A's and B's in all her college classes, which is great.  She is still on track to qualify for the highest level of Bright Futures scholarship, although her unweighted GPA has dropped a little.  Her weighted GPA is 4.9!  I confess that I don't fully understand the GPA story (I know the weighted includes her college classes) but either way it's higher than my other kids' GPA ever were so she's doing great. She's now thinking about doing a B.S. in I.T. if she goes to UCF (prior to this she was thinking web design but she says it sounds like that is really front of the house and she thinks she would want to know more about the back of the house stuff even though she doesn't want to be a computer engineer anymore) and then she has plans to talk to some librarians to get advice about what their jobs entail and what degree would be more beneficial for a career that she hasn't fully defined yet.  But she's making progress.  I should be getting my son's report card this week. He got straight A's, according to the online grade book that we can consult.  I'm thinking of some kind of a reward for him. Greg and I have already decided that we would get him a better iPhone for his birthday (he has my old iPhone 4, I think I'll get him a used iPhone 5S so he can use the latest iOS that lets him unsubscribe from a group text that he doesn't want to be part of and that results in him getting thousands of texts a month! That would drive me bananas!)

From the kitchen... I have dishes to do this morning but... I have a sleeping kitten on my chest right this minute!  I want to make more butternut squash soup. I don't have a menu figured out for the week yet so I need to get into the freezer and defrost a bunch of stuff.  I also want to bake something for my guys.  I don't know what yet.

I am wearing... the blue shorts that I bought (for 93 cents!) at the thrift store on Wednesday and a black T-shirt. I'm one of those who doesn't think that black looks bad with navy blue. Also: who is going to care?  The kittens? Pffft.  I'm barefoot.

I am creating... a whole lot of stress for myself when I think about my French family. Ugh.

I am going... nowhere today.  It's Domestic Monday so as soon as that kitten's nap is over, I need to get my butt into gear and do some chores.

I am reading... I gave up on "Scarecrow" by Michael Connelly because it was terrible, I have started re-reading "Mind Prey" by John Sandford.  When I'm done with that, I'll read "The Trespasser" by Tana French.

I am hoping... that my brother finds out more about what is going on with my dad and that we're worrying for nothing. But I don't think we are.  Ugh.

I am hearing... birds singing outside and Smooth Jazz since I've just switched the TV to play IHeartRadio (WLOQ) instead of Green Acres, lol.  I do love Green Acres but I'm not in the mood right now.

Around the house... the kittens are napping. I'm not sure what the other cats are doing at the moment but I have the windows open in the Cat Room so I'm sure they're enjoying the sounds, smells and sights of the backyard. My daughter is still asleep (she doesn't have to drive to the College on Mondays. Greg is at work and our son is at school.

One of my favorite things... the bread keeper that I bought at the thrift store a few weeks ago. It really works!  The Double Pumpkin, Cranberry and Raisin loaf that I baked on Friday has remained moist this whole time and hasn't spoiled (the colder weather and low humidity play a big part in that too!).  It was a great investment, I don't think we'll have any homemade bread waste!




A few plans for the rest of the week... This is going to be a quiet week.  As usual, I have Grocery Shopping Day and this time I want to go to Walmart so it'll be a longer trip than usual.  I want to vote early this week so I need to do a lot of research on local election candidates and then go stand in line. I'm hoping that it won't be too bad. Greg needs his truck to be looked at at the dealership so he's going to try and make an appointment for Thursday and he'll work from home so I'll have to shuttle him back and forth to the dealer's.  I'm hoping that we'll be able to go fish/walk/or ride my bike this weekend with him :)  I need to send a birthday present to one of my nephews in France. I guess I'll send him another Amazon gift card. It's easy and he can get what he wants.

Here is the picture I am sharing... 
Princess being enthralled by Battlefield 1, Greg's latest video game, a couple of nights ago!
Have a great week!

5 comments:

  1. Love the kitty pic. My husband would get pissed though for blocking the screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg was laughing his head off. Then he grabbed her and said "Go see mommy!" and handed her to me, hahaha.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations to your daughter on her great GPA! Yes, the weighted GPA takes the college courses into account. An A in a high school class counts as 4 points (3 for a B, 2 for a C, etc.); an A in a college class (or AP class) will count as 5 points (4 for a B, 3 for a C, etc.) Sounds like she's doing very well. :)

    Sounds like your youngest son is doing very well, too. I, too, used to reward my daughter for a straight A report card, when she was in school. It was always a trip to the bookstore for $100 worth of books of her choice.

    I'm sorry you are stressing about family drama taking place so far away. I think it's a given that if you have family, there will be drama! (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, thanks for explaining it again. It's been explained to me several times but I always managed to forget the details. I knew that the college classes and AP classes counted for more but I couldn't remember how it worked exactly.

      We didn't have GPAs in France. We were graded from 0 to 20. 10 was the passing grade. For our baccalaureat (the huge exam at the end of high school which lets you "graduate" or not), we had coefficients assigned to each subject depending on our major (we had majors in high school). I'm fuzzy on the details but I seem to remember that my major was A2 (philosophy and foreign languages) so philosophy and French had a coefficient of 5, each foreign language had a coefficient of 4 (I think?! I had English, Spanish and Latin), history and geography had a coefficient of 3 and math... I don't think math had a coefficient for me. I didn't have any science classes in high school because of my major, and only 1 hour of math a week. So I was able to graduate even though I barely passed math, because I had such high scores in my high coefficient classes.

      You were very generous with your daughter! We've usually don't assign set rewards for good grades as Greg and I view them as a requirement. I question every grade below a B (below an A for my high scorers) and the kids know that it is an expectation that they will do well in school. However, if you do well in school and I don't have to push you, you can pretty much write your own ticket. I won't buy you a car (but I'll buy one and let you use it!), but I will be much more amenable to get whatever else you might want, within reasonable limits.

      Thanks for the hugs. Yes, family = drama. Why does that always surprise me?!

      Delete
    2. We didn't have GPAs when I was in school in Sri Lanka, either. We were ranked in our class based on our total grades in each class. Then, in grade 10, we sat for the General Certificate of Education Ordinary ("O") Levels and received a Distinction, Credit, Simple Pass, or Fail in each subject (we had to take 8 subjects), based on marks. One could, technically, leave school and get a job with an O-Levels certificate. Those who wished to continue to go to university went on to do the Advanced ("A") Levels.

      I wanted to buy my daughter a car for her 16th birthday, but she didn't want to learn to drive, so I never bought her a car! By the time she finally learned to drive, she moved to Berkeley and we decided she didn't need a car.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!