Monday, October 3, 2016

Day Book: Monday 10/3/16



Outside my window... my windows are all foggy again. It must have rained last night because everything is wet.  The sun is up but it seems to be all cloudy so far.

I am thinking... that I might need to go grocery shopping tomorrow instead of Wednesday because of Hurricane Matthew. I'm afraid the stores will be busier on Wednesday.  We'll see.

I am thankful for... Greg being home. It's more work for me but I love when he's with us :)

From the learning rooms... my son has to get with his Geometry Honors teacher this morning. She and I emailed this weekend because I saw he got a 40 on an assignment but he had no clue why. She said he hadn't turned in some worksheets but he told me he had.  Otherwise, I wonder if classes will be cancelled on Friday because of the hurricane being so close to our state.

From the kitchen... I have a menu figured out and now I need to see what I still need to buy to make it happen. I should have most of everything already.  I baked banana chocolate chip bread yesterday and we still have 3/4 of a loaf on the table so I'm not baking today. I'll roast a chicken for dinner tonight and I'm hoping that I can roast it in the electric roaster outside, but it looks like we have 70% chance of rain today so probably not.  I'm planning on baking rolls tomorrow.

I am wearing... my exercise clothes!  I have found that I can exercise between 8 and 9 a.m. while the kittens sleep. However, they just woke up so scratch that plan for today. Maybe they'll be too busy fighting with one another to notice I've stepped away. A couple of them tend to follow me when they see me leave :)

I am creating... a cleaner home?  I got nothing.

I am going... to ride my recumbent bike momentarily.

I am reading... blogs, the news... but no books.  I had started reading the "Sri Lankan Cuisine" cookbook this past week but the descriptions and pictures before the recipes even start made me too hungry, lol!

I am hoping... that my daughter makes it to the Disney Casting Center OK this morning. She just left for her interview!

I am hearing... the kittens roughhousing, classical music playing on WQXR via IheartRadio on my Roku, the air conditioning running...

Around the house... my daughter just left for her interview, Greg and our son are gone as well. The kittens are being very rambunctious here in the living room.  Our other cats are resting in the Cat Room. Not for long... I think I'll bring the kittens to them before I start biking :)  I have a load of laundry in the washer already.

One of my favorite things... rubber/silicone spatulas make my life easier and more frugal!

A few plans for the rest of the week... there's actually not much going on this week.  My youngest son had his volunteering shifts at the library, I need to go grocery shopping, we might have to prepare the yard for a hurricane or at least storms.  I do have errands to run so I might do that tomorrow if I don't go grocery shopping then.

Here is the picture I am sharing... Hurricane Matthew as of 8 a.m. today.  We are about where the corner of the "L" in Florida is.  Right now it looks like Laura from All That Junk In My Trunk (who lives in Jacksonville which is on the East coast closer to Georgia) might have more to worry about than me and then obviously the coastal Georgia, SC and NC areas, but it can change pretty fast.


Have a great Monday!  If you do a Day Book, please link to it in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. I hope you or the Geometry teacher solve the mystery of the missing worksheets. I think your son is very conscientious, so I am hoping for his sake that they show up. Glad that Greg is home, at least for a little while. I have my fingers crossed for your daughter. Sounds like this is really the job that she wants, so I hope things work out for her. Thinking of you as Mathew makes its way towards the continent. It sounds like it is very destructive and I feel very badly for the Haitians who have not yet recovered from the last disaster. For someone who is taking a break from blogging, you sure have written a glut of information on your blog. My daybook entry can be found here: http://sues-retirementfunds.blogspot.ca/2016/10/daybook-monday-october-316.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan! My son showed the teacher the "missing" worksheets that were in her inbox all along, but there might be another assignment that she thinks he should have turned in but he has no idea of what that might be so he'll talk to her about it again tomorrow morning and hopefully get all of that straightened out. As you said, he's very conscientious and respectful so his teachers usually give him the benefit of the doubt.

      My daughter did get a job at Walt Disney World today but it wasn't the dishwasher job that she had applied for. She's going to be a seating hostess at a restaurant at the Grand Floridian Resort, my favorite resort there (and also the one where that little kid was killed by the alligator this summer). She's excited because she'll be indoors in the AC and the job won't be terribly hard (like a dishwashing job would have been, IMO). Also she'll get to go to the parks for free and also sign in friends and family once she's earned those perks. She won't start until later this month, though.

      Matthew has moved closer to hitting us with the track now showing our area in its path. Yeah, Haiti is taking a bad beating. I hope nobody loses their lives but that country has already suffered so much that any bad storm is going to be even more devastating than what we'll have to go through, probably.

      That being said, I'm very anxious about what will happen to us with this, especially with Middle Son living on the East Coast near Daytona Beach and us in our old rickety house with 6 cats. I've made a list of things to do over the next 2 days but I'm already chewing on my nails, I'm so anxious. The kittens must have sensed it tonight as they all crawled on my lap and cuddled for a long time before falling asleep on me! It was lovely :)

      I'm not taking a break from blogging so much as not publishing a post every night. I know it doesn't seem to make a difference because I still write a lot, but it's made a difference to me, somehow. Maybe because it's all one "stream of consciousness" instead of having to fit things into Successes, Failures, Splurges, etc. I don't know!

      Delete
  2. Hope the hurricane misses you and just brings you a little rain but not anything more. Best wishes to your daughter on her interview; hope it went well. Hope your son and his teacher solve the problem of the missing worksheets. You are a good mom to stay on top of things like that. :) Glad that Greg is back home, again. I'm sure you miss him when he's gone. Hope you have a lovely week ahead of you. Take care and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bless! I just replied to Susan's comment right above yours with news of the missing assignments and my daughter's new job. As far as the hurricane is concerned, I'm afraid that the news isn't good and it looks like it keeps veering to the West so for now we're in the projected path. Arrgh. I'm pretty anxious about the whole thing and I'll be spending the next couple of days (worrying) getting ready for this and hoping that it's all for naught :)

      I hope you have a good week, Bless.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!