Friday, October 28, 2016

Food Waste Friday!


I have been very complacent in many area this year, and one of them is my food waste.  This is ridiculous, posting about my food waste is one of the ways that I learned to be more frugal as I started blogging!  So I'm going back to it. I'm hoping that I won't have anything to blog about, but I do know that I will this week, a result of having been lazy with my cooking recently. I can't promise that I'll always have pictures, but who wants to see moldy strawberries anyway?!


  • 1.5 container of Driscoll's strawberries.  Arrgh. They looked fine when I bought them but I realized when I got home that they were much too soft to be fine. However, instead of trying to preserve them by freezing or drying them, or even instead of trying to use them all up by making a strawberry summer cake or scones, inertia happened and I just watched them get softer and then moldy and then moldier... without doing anything about it. OK I'm lying as I actually had 4 containers so I used up 2.5 containers.  But not using them all up was a huge frugal failure :( I did compost them, though.

  • I cleaned the fridge on Monday and found a chunk of tomato basil flavored hard cheese from Aldi that I had bought this summer. Oh course, it had spoiled. It went into the trash.

  • On Tuesday I composted 1/2 a cucumber that had gone bad in the fridge, and I dropped an egg on the ground by accident. Ugh.

  • On Wednesday I had to compost a navel orange that had been in the fruit bowl way too long, and 3 tomatoes on the vine that looked OK on the outside, but that had indeed rotted.  Arrgh.

  • On Thursday, I composted a whole cucumber and 3/4 of another because they had gotten very soft in the fridge (I cleaned the fridge on Monday but not the veggie shelf so I've been finding new things to compost all week).








    • I used up a bag of spinach that had been in my fridge for 2 weeks, in Monday night's dinner recipe.

    • On Thursday night, I was able to rescue 1/4 of a cucumber and slice it into a salad.

    I'd love to hear how YOU did this week! Feel free to post links back to your own Food Waste Friday posts in the comments.


    This post was inspired by Kristen at The Frugal Girlwho started blogging about her food waste back in 2008.

    5 comments:

    1. I had too much food waste this month, myself, Nathalie, with overbuying for the prayer meeting dinner, etc. I hope to do better in November. We'll both do better in November.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Long ago, I used to do Food Waste Friday with the Frugal Girl and it really helped me cut down on my food waste. I'm not quite as good as when I was posting, but overall I'm better than before. Good luck next week.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It's really been a powerful tool for making me more aware of what we wasted and motivate me to do much better. I've been seriously slacking for the past 2 monthx, however. I need to re-motivate myself.

        Delete
    3. Totally agree that things have gotten crazy around here and I haven't gotten great at using up everything. I have been throwing out rice and pasta instead of repurposing into leftover night or freezing. Super sad to waste anything but it does seem to creep up when you get too busy...okay, going to do something with those strawberries tomorrow. Hate that!!! Hopefully your posts will guilt us all into being better. My worst part is not freezing the bread and rolls before they mold :( Makes me so sad!!!

      ReplyDelete

    Anything you'd like to add? Share away!