Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Grocery Shopping This Week



Wednesday is my main shopping day but this week I went on Tuesday to try to beat the crowds stocking up for Hurricane Matthew.  Aldi was packed, but the other stores were just a little busier than usual.  

My official 2016 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) but I really aim to spend $50 or less.  I went over that this week because the stress from the hurricane's coming and the death of Greg's dad resulted in my wanting to shore up already abundant stocks.  What can I say? At least I spent money on something that we will all use eventually, as opposed to fancy purses and jewelry.

Let's see how I did!

Budget for the week: $100.00
Total OOP: $71.93
Rebates expected: $3.40
Total spent after rebates: $68.53
Money left in budget: $31.47


Baking Supplies: $3.68 OOP

  • 4 lbs sugar (Aldi) @ $1.89
  • 1 bag chocolate chips (Aldi) @ $1.79

Beverages: $4.18 OOP and received $4.00 in ExtraCare Bucks. Will receive $0.40 back from SavingStar.

 

  • 2 bottles Bai 5 (CVS), on sale@ 2 for $4.00 but FREE after paying with the CVS gift card earned via our American Express Rewards program, and I received $4.00 back in ExtraCare Bucks.
  • 2 100-ct boxes of Lipton tea (Publix), @ $4.79 each, minus $5.00 store coupon and $0.40 digital manufacturer coupon = $3.78 and will receive $0.40 back from SavingStar.
  • 2 20-ct boxes of Lipton Black Tea with Bergamote (Publix) @ $2.99 each = $5.98 but FREE (2) manufacturer coupons (1 free 20-ct Lipton black tea w/ purchase of another Lipton tea product)

Breads/Baked Goods: $2.45 OOP
  • 2 loaves white bread (Aldi) @ $0.85 each = $1.70 and received $0.10 back from MobiSave = $1.60
  • 1 8-ct package of hamburger buns (Aldi) @ $0.85

 Cereals: minus $1.25 OOP and received $3.00 back in ExtraCare Bucks
  • 4 boxes of Special K Red Berries (CVS), on sale @ $2.49 each, minus (2) $1.00/2 manufacturer coupons, minus $1.00/2 digital store coupon, minus $4.00 in ExtraCare Bucks = $2.96 but FREE after paying with the CVS gift card earned via our American Express Rewards program, and received $1.00 back from MobiSave and $0.25 back from Ibotta so MONEYMAKER.  I also received (in combination with 1 of the boxes of cereal bars), $3.00 back in ECBs for having spent $12 on specific items, and all the Kellogg's products will count towards the "One or Many" offer on Kellogg's products from SavingStar.  I will also earned Kellogg's Family Rewards points automatically via my ExtraCare card.

Dairy: $11.45 OOP
  • 2 gallons whole milk (CVS), on sale @ $2.79 each = $5.58 but FREE after paying with the CVS gift card earned via our American Express Rewards program and I received $0.25 back from Ibotta so MONEYMAKER.
  • 1 package string cheese (Aldi) @ $2.79
  • 16-oz bag of shredded mild cheddar (Aldi) @ $2.99
  • 1 8-oz block mozzarella (Aldi) @ $1.89
  • 1 package American cheese singles (Aldi) @ $1.69
  • 6 cups yogurt (Aldi) @ $0.39 each = $2.34

Dry/Pantry/Freezer Goods: $16.04 OOP and should receive $3.00 back from SavingStar
  • 1 large pouch Stevia powdered sweetener (Aldi) @ $3.99
  • 1 bottle vegetable oil (Aldi) @ $1.99
  • 2 jars Kraft light mayo (Publix), on BOGO sale @ $5.37, minus (2) $1.00/1 peelies = $3.37
  • 1 jar Marie's coleslaw dressing (Publix), on sale $2.00, minus $1.00/1 manufacturer coupon and $1.00/1 store coupon = FREE
  • 6 cans Campbell's Chunky soup (Publix), on BOGO sale @ $2.39, minus (2) $1.20/3 manufacturer coupons = $4.77
  • 2 bottles Ken's Steakhouse salad dressings (Publix), on BOGO sale @ $3.53 and received $1.50 back from Checkout 51 and $1.00 back from MobiSave = $1.03. I should also complete the "One or Many" offer in SavingStar, which should earn me another $3.00.
  • 2 jars Vlasic Sweet Hot Stackers (Publix), on BOGO sale @ $2.99, minus (2) $1.00/1 manufacturer coupons and received $0.10 back from MobiSave so $0.89.
Produce/Juice: $9.36
  • 5 lbs Russet potatoes (Save A Lot), on sale for $0.99
  • 5 lbs Klondike Rose potatoes (Save A Lot), reduced at $1.99
  • 4 lbs grapes (Aldi), on sale @$0.79/lb = $3.16 and received $0.25 back from Checkout 51 so $2.91
  • 2.77 lbs bananas (Aldi) @ $0.44/lb = $1.22 and received $0.10 back from MobiSave so $1.12
  • 1 bag spinach (Aldi) @ $1.79
  • 1 cucumber (Aldi) @ $0.59
  • 0.22 lbs yellow onion (Publix) @ $0.99/lb = $0.22 and received $0.25 back from Ibotta so MONEYMAKER
Proteins: $19.97 OOP
  • 2 Butterball Smoked Sausage links (Save A Lot) @ $1.99 each, minus (2) $0.75/1 manufacturer coupons = $2.48
  • 2 dozen eggs (CVS), on sale @ $0.99 each = $1.98 but FREE after paying with the CVS gift card earned via our American Express Rewards program.
  • 8 cans light tuna in water (Aldi) @ $0.69 each = $5.52
  • 1 lb Black Forest ham (Aldi) @ $3.49
  • 1 lb Black Forest turkey (Aldi) @ $3.49
  • 2  3-oz packages Vita Wild Nova Salmon (Publix), on BOGO @ $4.99
Snacks: $6.05 OOP

  • 1 apple fritter doughnut (RaceTrac), FREE with redemption of survey reward code.
  • 2 boxes Special K Red Berries cereal bars (CVS), on sale @ $2.49 each  but FREE after paying with the CVS gift card earned via our American Express Rewards program and received $1.00 back from Checkout 51 so MONEYMAKER.
  • 2 boxes protein bars (Aldi) @ $1.99 each = $3.98
  • 1 box Swiss rolls (Aldi) @ $1.29
  • 2 packages peanut butter crackers (Aldi) @ $0.89 each = $1.78

Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week?  Please link up or share your finds in the comments :)

4 comments:

  1. Look at you buying stuff and making money on what you bought! Wow! I am so impressed! You did well on this week's groceries!

    I did a small grocery shopping trip on Oct. 2, and a bigger one on Oct. 3, and posted about it, here: http://bless2cents.blogspot.com/2016/10/october-grocery-shopping-week-1-trip-to.html By the way, I posted a picture especially for you on my post about the week 1 grocery shopping. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL< I read your post this afternoon but I couldn't comment because I had a sleeping kitten in the crook of my elbow at the time and another one across my chest. And they stayed like that for quite a long time! Thanks for the picture of the banana blossom delicacy. So you're saying I ought to go harvest the blossom that's on the banana tree not too far from my house and cook it? I might have to if we ran out of food after the hurricane :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the reminder on doing the rebates because I totally forgot. Sadly, mobi save isn't working for me and they rejected it saying that they couldn't find the stuff on the receipt and that I needed to do it again. I thought maybe the receipt was clear so I sent it again but they rejected again. It is an Aldi receipt so bananas are bananas so I don't know how much clearer I can make it...doesn't seem hard to find but I guess I have to do something else to point it out. UGH!! Looks like you did pretty well with everything and stocking up on some baking supplies to start making the heat in the house :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very odd, I bought my bananas at Aldi and they approved it without any problems. Are you taking pictures of the whole receipt?

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!