Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Grocery Shopping This Week



Wednesday is my main shopping day. My official 2016 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) but I really aim to spend $50 or less.

This week, I stocked up on several items that will be used up over the next few months: lasagna noodles, squashes, cranberry sauce, canned yams. So I'm a little over my unofficial goal of $50.

Let's see how I did!

Budget for the week: $100.00
Total OOP: $65.52
Rebates expected: $0.25
Total spent after rebates: $65.27
Money left in budget: $34.73

Money left in budget for the month ($500 = 5 weeks @ $100): $262.80

Baking Supplies: $0.00 OOP

  • None needed

Beverages: $0.00 OOP

  1. Wawa Rewards is offering a new freebie every week starting this week through the end of the year if you download their app and add a gift card to it.  The minimum gift card you can purchase online is $15.00 but I didn't want to tie up so much money in my app since I never spend any money at Wawa anyway (I go to RaceTrac to get more frequent freebies!).  You can get a $5 gift card in-store so I did that.  I'll spend the $5 on drinks and snacks when I'm out and about over the next few months, and in the meantime, I'll redeem a freebie every week until the end of 2016. I also got another freebie just for downloading the app and signing up for an account!
  • 16 oz Mint White Chocolate Latte (Wawa), free with app reward this week

Breads/Baked Goods: $2.45 OOP
  • 8-ct hamburger buns (Aldi) @ $0.85
  • 2 loaves white bread (Aldi) @ $0.85 = $1.70 and received $0.10 back from MobiSave so $1.60


 Cereals: $1.39 OOP
  • 1 box Crispy Rice (Aldi) @ $1.39

Dairy: $7.67 OOP and will receive $0.25 back from Ibotta
  1. It occurred to me, last week, that if I buy the 1-lb bag of already shredded mild cheddar, it's cheaper than buying two 8-oz blocks AND I don't have to dirty my food processor to shred it myself!
  2. We now ALL love the string cheese so it's going to be an ongoing expense from now on (Greg said he was sick of the hard-boiled eggs)
  • 1 gallon whole milk (CVS), on sale @ $2.69 but FREE with the CVS gift card earned via our American Express Rewards program and will receive $0.25 back from Ibotta, making it a MONEYMAKER.
  • 1 lb bag shredded mild cheddar (Aldi) @ $2.99
  • 1 package Fit & Active string cheese (Aldi) @ $2.79
  • 1 8-oz mozzarella block (Aldi) @ $1.89

Dry/Pantry/Freezer Goods: $4.76 OOP 
  1. I had planned on buying the tomato soup but when I saw that I could save an additional 40 cents if I bought the cream of chicken (not excluded on the coupon), then I let myself be swayed. I use the cream of chicken in some crockpot recipes.
  2. I almost didn't see the lasagna noodles as I didn't expect to buy any and they were stashed at the end of the Halloween Candy aisle, across from the fruit bins. An odd place but I remembered lamenting throughout the year (and reading other frugal bloggers lamenting) that Aldi doesn't always carry the lasagna noodles and never when I decide that I want to make lasagna, lol, so I stocked up this time.
  • 2 cans Campbell's Cream of Chicken (one is Healthy Request) (CVS), on sale @ $1.00 each, minus $0.40 manufacturer coupon from insert, minus $1.00/2 digital store coupon = $0.60 but FREE with the CVS gift card earned via our American Express Rewards program.
  • 4 boxes oven ready lasagna (Aldi) @ $1.19 each = $4.76
Produce/Juice: $32.85
  1. I already had 3 butternut squashes at home, but $0.99 each, COME ON!  It's cheaper than 1 lb of it at Publix and even if it grew in my garden, it'd probably cost me more than that to grow it. Those things last forever (well, almost!) so I bought 3 more.  And then 2 acorn squashes because the stuffed acorn squashes that I made last year were delicious.
  2. I always count my cans of beans/fruit/veggies as produce.
  3. I chose the Golden Delicious apples at Save A Lot because there were more apples per bag than the other varieties. I also noticed that they had mixed 5-lb bags of Red Delicious (definitely NOT on sale for $1.99 each) with the 3-lb bags, and that pissed me off. So beware when you buy apples, always make sure you're getting the correct weight and variety as is stated in the ad, not on the sign that's on the bin.
  4. I hadn't looked at my Save A Lot receipt from 10/8 very closely until today... I had thought I was buying pears at $0.79/lb but it turns out they were $0.79 a piece!  Arrgh, I hate this. I had bought them to make Fall Pear Cake and they've been ripening since. I'll make that for Greg tomorrow.

  • 2 29-oz cans of yams in syrup (Aldi, seasonal item) @ $1.49 = $2.98
  • 2 acorn squashes (Aldi), on sale @ $0.99 each = $1.98
  • 3 butternut squashes (Aldi), on sale @ $0.99 each = $2.70
  • 2 can jellied cranberry sauce (Aldi), @ $0.99 each = $1.98
  • 1 large can baked beans (Aldi) @ $1.39
  • 3-lb bag Anjou pears (Aldi), on sale @ $1.99
  • 4 lbs grapes (Aldi), on sale @ $0.99/lb = $3.96
  • 2 packages white mushrooms (Aldi), on sale @ $0.69 each = $1.38
  • 2.37 lbs bananas (Aldi) @ $0.44/lb = $1.04 and received $0.10 back from MobiSave so $0.94
  • 4 lbs Driscoll's strawberries (SuperTarget), on sale at $2.99/lb, minus 25% Cartwheel offer, minus (4) $1.00/1 = $4.96
  • 6 lbs Golden Delicious apples (Save A Lot), on sale @ $1.99 for 3 lbs = $3.98 and received $0.25 back from Checkout 51 so $3.73
  • 1.83 lbs bananas (Save A Lot) @ $0.44/lb - $0.81 (purchased 10/8)
  • 2.13 lbs papaya (Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.79/lb = $1.68 (purchased 10/8)
  • 3 Bartlett pears (Save A Lot), @ $0.79 EACH = $2.37 (purchased 10/8)


Proteins: $11.93 OOP
  1. It never hurts to ask: when I noticed that the deli pizzas all had sell-by dates that had come and gone several days ago at Save A Lot, I grabbed 2 cheese pizzas and asked the cashier if she could discount them for me. She agreed so I got them at 50% off.  That'll make 2 cheap meals for us, that the kids will enjoy as this pizza is pretty darn good, actually. Buying the cheese pizzas lets me customize them as we wish, too.
  2. I felt like Alison, the queen of the Grocery Shopping Trip, at Publix today. I thought my cashier would give me trouble with the coupons because she was elderly and usually they don't really know if they should accept the BOGO coupons with the BOGO sales (a generalization, perhaps, but that has proven true in my case on several occasions!) but this cashier was really cool and didn't bat an eye and was delighted for me!  She said "So buy 1, get the rest for FREE?! Good for you!", LOL.
  • 1 lb bologna (Aldi) @ $0.95
  • 2 medium deli cheese pizzas (Save A Lot), on 50% clearance @ $5.49
  • 6 2-ct boxes Barber Foods stuffed chicken breasts (Publix), on BOGO @ $5.49, minus (2) Buy 2, Get 1 Free manufacturer coupons = $5.49

Snacks: $4.47 OOP


  1. In truth, I could have waited another week to get the pretzel sticks since we just opened a bag, but MobiSave had another $0.10 off rebate that would have expired before then and 10 cents saved on something that I buy regularly is a good deal, in my book!
  • 1 pint ice cream (not pictured) (Aldi) @ $1.99
  • 1 box Swiss rolls (Aldi) @ $1.29
  • 1 bag pretzels (Aldi) @ $1.29 and received $0.10 back from MobiSave so $1.19
  • 2 apple fritter donuts (RaceTrac), FREE with redemption of survey reward codes

Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week?  Please link up or share your finds in the comments :)

10 comments:

  1. You are doing quite well staying within your budget. Do you ever think about how much more work it would take if you didn't have an Aldi's? I know we spend a whole lot less since Aldi's came to our area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kicking myself for being a snob that first year they were here (ours has only been open for 3 years, I think) and not shopping there. I had gone to check the prices but felt that I could do much better at Publix with coupons. And you can, but not necessarily on stuff that you need. While saving a lot with coupons, I was also spending a lot more than nowadays (like 3 times as much!).

      If we didn't have Aldi, I'd probably still be doing the same thing. If, however, it closed, I would not shop a lot more at Save A Lot and continue using my credit card reward programs and Swagbucks to purchase items for free at CVS, Walmart and Target. But I don't think I'll ever live where there isn't an Aldi from now on, hahaha. Lidl is coming over to the USA too and my dad says Lidl is even cheaper than Aldi and likes their products (back in France). It'd be nice to get one of those too.

      Delete
  2. I am wiping the drool off the keyboard as I type this! I love apple fritters! But the last time I had a doughnut (back in May), it didn't taste good. You did great with your grocery shopping. Glad you were able to stock up when things were on sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. I wish I could send you an apple fritter, hahaha.

      Delete
    2. Send me the other one!! I was drooling too. I am going to make some homemade doughnut this weekend but I haven't ever tried apple fritters. I love them and those look good and cinnamon-y :)

      Delete
    3. Haha, you'll have to arm wrestle my son to get those, I think, and he used to do archery so he has pretty good muscles :) I'm not sure if they're cinnamon-y, I don't even know if they taste like apples. They're just the biggest doughnuts in the case so if I'm going to get a freebie, let it be the biggest one of them all, hahaha.

      Delete
  3. I'm planning to stock up on squash at Aldi this weekend, too! I always love this time of year -- I love both acorn and butternut squash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of this time of year, they also had Pumpkin Spice Marshmallows but I don't think I'm that adventurous!

      Delete
  4. LOL!! I love the Barber chicken purchase and super exciting to have the great check out person so that you could get them without fighting about the coupons :) Sounds like a win win!!

    The lasgana noodle is a huge fight. They didn't have the no cook ones before so I am totally on board. Those look like no cook ones, are they?? I grabbed all the Barilla ones on sale at Harris Teeter but I only have a box and little left after my lasagna cooking adventure!! Are those the ones that you got at Aldi before?? Of course it goes against my learn how to make pasta resolution so that I don't have to buy it again!!

    The Pumpkin Spice marshmallows are gross!! Don't get them!! My son wouldn't even eat them all. The valentines ones in the heart shape weren't big hits here too. I melted them down and made them into rice krispie treats so that they wouldn't go to waste and it spread out the flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, I had to search my own blog to make sure, but yes, those are the same lasagna noodles that I got from Aldi before. They're "oven ready" so no precooking necessary. I should make my own pasta as well, especially since I have a pasta maker and even the pasta dryer rack now (found at a thrift store earlier this year) but I've been too lazy and most of the time, honestly, I just forget about it.

      I liked the Valentine's Day marshmallows, but I think the pink ones were better than the white ones :) Yeah, I'm staying away from the Pumpkin Spice ones. That just sounds gross. Of course, watch me say this and then they'll be on clearance for 10 cents a bag and I'll buy out the store, hahaha.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!