Wednesday is my main shopping day. My official 2016 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) but I really aim to spend $50 or less.
This wasn't a very exciting week. Few of what I bought was actually on sale and I didn't visit any stores where I could get things for free with gift cards or great coupon deals. Plus, I went over budget this week as I needed to stock up on whiskey and I grabbed a few items that weren't on my list, and I didn't redeem any rebates on food.
However, I'm still very much under budget for the month so we're doing OK.
Let's see how I did!
Budget for the week: $100.00
Total OOP: $104.93
Rebates expected: $0.00
Total spent after rebates: $104.93
Money left in budget this week: over budget
Money left in budget for the month ($500 = 5 weeks @ $100): $157.87
Baking Supplies: $3.58 OOP
- The last couple of times I looked for chocolate chips at Aldi, they didn't have the mini chips that I prefer so I grabbed 2 bags when I saw them today. I almost bought more but they go on sale at $1.59 around the holidays so I'll stock up then.
- 2 bags mini chocolate chips (Aldi) @ $1.79 each = $3.58
Beverages: $59.72 OOP
- One of Greg's indulgences is a bourbon after dinner. Thankfully though, he is no snob and the cheap Kentucky Gentleman bourbon is good enough for him. I buy it 4 bottles at a time so I can qualify for the 10% off discount (and that way I only have to go there once every couple of months!)
- I was just saying yesterday that I couldn't wait to drink flavored coffee again so when I saw this seasonal item at Aldi priced at $1.99, I decided to treat myself.
- 4 bottles whiskey (Winn Dixie) @ $14.99 each with Customer Rewards card, minus 10% discount for buying 4 bottles, + tax = $57.73
- 1 canister vanilla caramel non dairy powder creamer (Aldi) @ $1.99
Breads/Baked Goods: $1.70 OOP
- 2 loaves white bread (Aldi) @ $0.85 each = $1.70
Dairy: $6.43 OOP
- Ricotta cheese wasn't on my list but since I bought 4 boxes of lasagna noodles last week, I figured I might as well get it!
- Whipped cream also wasn't on my list but I have a pumpkin pie to bake and my men always ask me if we have any whipped cream or vanilla ice cream to go with it, so I decided to spoil them.
- 16 oz container ricotta cheese (Aldi) 2 $1.79
- 4 cups yogurt (Aldi) @ $0.39 each = $1.56
- 1 container light sour cream (Aldi) @ $1.29
- 1 can whipped cream (Save A Lot) @ $1.79
- Sometimes I'm inconsistent, but I try to count the canned veggies as "produce". I just bought a large can similar to these at Aldi last week for $1.39 so when I saw them at $1.00 at Dollar Tree, I decided to stock up. It makes a tasty and easy side dish when I make burgers or pulled pork sandwiches.
- 2.79 lbs bananas (Aldi) @ $0.44/lb = $1.23
- 6 lbs gala apples (Aldi) on sale@ 3 lbs for $1.69 = $3.38
- 2.52 lbs grapes (Save A Lot) @ $1.79/lb = $4.26
- 2.62 lbs papaya (Save A Lot), on sale @ $0.79/lb = $2.07
- 2 large cans baked beans (Dollar Tree) @ $1.00 each = $2.00
- I couldn't resist beef on 50% clearance. I'll cook it in the crockpot at some point.
- 1 lb oven roasted turkey (Aldi) @ $3.49
- 1 box breakfast sausages (Aldi) @ $1.09
- 1.36 lbs beef bottom roast (Save A Lot), on 50% off clearance @ $2.49 lb = $3.39
Snacks: $12.59 OOP and received $1.50 in Balance Rewards
- Snacks is almost always my "problem area". We already had protein bars but a couple of times I was stuck without any when they didn't restock so i grabbed 2 more boxes.
- I thought I'd make taco salad tonight with the tortilla chips, but now I'm thinking i'll make chicken burgers instead so the chips will be used for something else. Like my snacks :)
- Greg really liked that generic Cherry Garcia ice cream last week so I decided to treat him again because I love him.
- The donuts weren't necessary but at 75 cents a box, they'll make both kids happy... and it gives me a day's respite from baking, lol.
- 2 boxes protein bars (Aldi) @ $1.99 each = $3.98
- 1 pint ice cream (Aldi) @ $1.99
- 1 package peanut butter crackers (Aldi) @ $0.89
- 1 box Swiss rolls (Aldi) @ $1.29
- 1 4-ct package chocolate pudding cups (Aldi) @ $0.89
- 1bag tortilla chips (Aldi) @ $1.19
- 1 box powdered donuts (Save A Lot), on 50% clearance @ $0.75
- 1 bag Trolli sour worms (Walgreens), on sale @ $1.50 plus $0.11 in tax = $1.61 and received $1.50 back in Balance Rewards
Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week? Please link up or share your finds in the comments :)