Wednesday is my main shopping day. My official 2016 weekly grocery budget is $100/wk for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens) but I really aim to spend $50 or less.
However, this week I had to pay for milk as I'd rather pay for milk on sale than use a gift card to pay a premium on non-discounted milk and CVS didn't have the milk on sale while Walgreens did. Also, I ended up with a lot of impulse purchases at Aldi, but they weren't of the bad sort: baking supplies, rice, soup, bread crumbs... it also added up!
Thankfully, I was also able to stock up on bread flour, Better Than Bouillon and diced chiles at Walmart for free, woohoo for Swagbucks, as annoying as it may be.
So I went a little over budget, which is OK as I'm still under budget for the month and this week being the last week of October, I end the month with a bit of money to be put towards our Eating Out/Ordering In expenses, that were through the roof this month.
Let's see how I did!
Budget for the week: $100.00
Total OOP: $77.65
Rebates expected: $0.00
Total spent after rebates: $77.65
Money left in budget: $22.35
Money left in budget for the month ($100 = 5 weeks @ $100): $75.98
Baking Supplies: $12.73 OOP
- I'm sure I'm not the only one who does a lot of baking when the end of the year is near, so I didn't resist when I saw all those goodies!
- The price of the bread flour was a good surprise as last time I bought some at Walmart, they only had Gold bread flour and it had rang up at a few pennies over $4.00 a bag. I probably should have bought more bags and I might go back next week to use up the rest of my $8.00 credit on the gift card.
- 2 cans dark cherries in syrup (Aldi) @ $1.79 each = $3.58
- 2 cans tart cherries (Aldi) @ $1.79 each = $3.58
- 5 lbs all purpose flour (Aldi) @ $1.59
- 2 bags espresso morsels (Aldi) @ $1.99 each = $3.98
- 10 lbs Pillsbury bread flour (Walmart) @ $2.50 each bag = $5.00 but FREE with Swagbucks gift card.
Beverages: $3.97 OOP
- I know that I still have coffee to be used up in my pantry and that Greg (doesn't even know that he) will give me flavored coffee from Target for my birthday or Christmas, that I bought a few weeks ago. But this sale/coupon was too good to pass up and then a digital coupon was deducted unexpectedly too, which made it even better!
- 1 can Murphy Classic soda (Murphy USA), FREE with e-store coupon
- 1 jar instant decaffeinated coffee (Aldi) @ $1.99
- 2 bags Community coffee (Publix), on BOGO sale @ $6.99, minus $4.00/2 manufacturer coupon and minus $4.00/2 digital manufacturer coupon = -1.01 (MONEYMAKER)
- 2 bags Community coffee (Publix), on BOGO sale @ $6.99, minus $4.00/2 manufacturer coupon = $2.99
Breads: $3.52 OOP
- This is one area where I should have put on my thinking cap and not succumbed to the sale: I bought 2 loaves of wheat bread only because I saw that it was discounted from almost $1.50 to just $0.89 and it was the last 2 loaves, despite knowing that I had just made a batch of bread dough that I intended to bake this week, and despite knowing that I probably didn't have room to freeze the loaves either (and I don't...). So we're going to have to eat a whole lot of bread.
- Because on top of that, I was on auto pilot and I still bought 1 loaf of white bread too! Ugh.
- 8-ct hamburger buns (Aldi) @ $0.89
- 1 loaf white bread (Aldi) @ $0.85
- 2 loaves wide pan whole wheat bread (Aldi), on sale @ $0.89 each = $1.78
- None needed
Dairy: $11.04 OOP
- As I mentioned at the beginning of the post, CVS didn't have the milk on sale this week and I refuse to use my gift card to pay for the full price, so I just bought it at Walgreens since it was on sale there.
- The Publix cashier wasn't a coupon lover and "forgot" to scan my BOGO coupon for the Dannon yogurt and I didn't notice until I was already in the parking lot. However, a $4.00 digital coupon had come off my bill for the coffee and shouldn't have so I decided not to go push the issue of the $0.65 Dannon coupon!
- Greg is excited about the slices of blue cheese, but I completely forgot to use that in his sandwich yesterday! I guess it's not like it's going to go bad, right? We love blue cheese!
- 2 gallons whole milk (Walgreens), on sale @ $2.69 each = $5.38
- 16 o shredded mild cheddar (Aldi) @ $2.99
- 8 oz Monterey Jack cheese (Aldi) @ $1.69
- 1 package American cheese slices (Aldi) @$1.69
- 1 package Castello blue cheese slices (Publix) @ $5.49, minus $3.00/1 manufacturer coupon and received $3.00 back from Ibotta so $0.51 MONEY MAKER
- 2 cups Dannon whole milk yogurt (Publix), on sale @ $0.65 each and received $0.50 back from Ibotta = $0.80
- 1 package Borden string cheese (Walmart) @ $2.97 but FREE with Swagbucks gift card and received $1.00 back from Ibotta so MONEYMAKER.
- The bread crumbs weren't on my list but I don't see Panko bread crumbs at Aldi very often and all I had at home was the seasoned kind. On the other hand, I needed more seasoned bread crumbs because I only had homemade plain ones.
- I used up a lot of my Swagbucks gift card to stock up on Better Than Bouillon because we love that stuff and it's way cheaper at Walmart than at Publix. I had 6 coupons so I bought 6 jars (4 chicken and 2 beef).
- The rice was on sale for $3.99 for 10 lbs so I grabbed a bag. I tend to cook rice quite often these days.
- The taco seasoning packets are indeed an indulgence. I make my own but despite trying several recipes, I think it lacks some "ooomph" and I preferred the packaged crap.
- 10 lbs white rice (Aldi), on sale @ $3.99
- 4 cans (only 3 pictured) condensed tomato soup (Aldi) @ $0.49 each = $1.96 and received $0.10 back from MobiSave = $1.86
- 2 envelopes low sodium taco seasoning (Aldi) @ $0.35 each = $0.70
- 1 canister seasoned bread crumbs (Aldi) @ $0.79
- 1 canister Panko bread crumbs (Aldi) @ $0.79
- 1 bag oyster crackers (Aldi) on sale @ $0.69
- 6 jars Better Than Bouillon (Walmart) @ $3.72 each, minus (6) $0.75/1 manufacturer coupons = $17.80 but FREE with Swagbucks gift card
- 1 envelope taco seasoning (Walmart) @ $0.67 but FREE with Swagbucks gift card
- I decided to stock up on apples by buying two 3-lb bags on sale, not knowing that the 5-lb bag would be on sale but just pennies more the next day. Arrgh.
- I missed out on the pears last week so since the sale was still going on and they looked hard, I bought 2 bags this week. It's a nice change for the kids.
- 0.21 lb yellow onion (Publix) @ $0.99/lb = $0.21 and received $0.25 back from Ibotta so MONEYMAKER ($0.04)
- 2 bottles apple juice (Aldi) @ $1.49 each = $2.98
- 2 cans cannellini (Aldi) @ $0.65 each = $1.30
- 1 can garbanzo (Aldi) @ $0.65
- 20 oz zucchini (Aldi) @ $1.79
- 3 lbs Granny Smith apples (Aldi), on sale @ $1.69 and received $0.10 back from MobiSave so $1.59
- 1 lb broccoli crowns (Aldi) @ $1.79
- 3 lbs Gala apples (Aldi), on sale @ $1.69
- 1 lb Roma tomatoes (Aldi) @ $1.39 and received $0.25 back from Checkout 51 = $1.14
- 3 Romaine hearts (Aldi) @ $1.99
- 2 lbs grapes (Aldi) @ $1.75/lb = $3.49
- 4 cans diced mild chiles (Walmart) @ $0.88 each but FREE with Swagbucks gift card
- 2 lbs bananas (Walmart) @ $0.56/lb = $1.12 but FREE with Swagbucks gift card
- I know that I could make meatballs with the 50% off ground beef that I had bought several weeks ago, but we love the Italian meatballs from Armour, and my daughter likes being able to grab just a few, nuke them, and make herself meatball subs or pasta and meatballs for lunch. I wish I had had 2 of the $1.50/1 coupons to get an even better deal, but it wasn't available as a printable coupon.
- 1 lb bologna (Aldi) @ $0.95
- 1 lb Black Forest Turkey (Aldi) @ $3.49
- 2 bag Armour Italian meatballs (Publix), on BOGO sale @ $4.99, minus $1.50/1 insert coupon = $3.49
- 2 dozens large eggs (CVS) @ $0.99 each with raincheck = $1.98 but FREE thanks to CVS gift card earned via our American Express Rewards program
Snacks: $8.00 OOP
- My kids have been doing amazingly well at school so I decided to also get them a pint of ice cream this week, along with one for Greg.
- I finally remembered to look for the coffee nut M&M's that Pixel Peeper had been raving about. Greg and I do love them! (and they're almost all gone already) (and Greg only had about 4 pieces)
- 2 bags coffee nut M&M's (Walgreens), on sale @ $2.50 each, minus $1.50/2 manufacturer coupon, minus $1.00/2 store coupon, and redeemed $1.50 in Register Rewards = $1.00
- 1 box Swiss rolls (Aldi) @ $1.29
- 3 pints ice cream (Aldi) @ $1.99 each = $5.97
- 2 packages Jello Simply Good (Publix), on BOGO sale @ $1.49, minus $1.00/2 manufacturer coupon and received $0.75 back from Checkout 51 so MONEYMAKER ($0.26)
Did you get any great deals at the grocery store this week? Please link up or share your finds in the comments :)