I didn't have a great night at first, last night. I fell asleep easily enough but woke up whimpering at half past midnight: the center of left palm really hurt and the ibuprofen that I had taken didn't help at all. I'm wondering if it might not be carpal tunnel after all. I did have it in my right wrist back when I was pregnant with one of my older kids and had to have an injection that burned and hurt more than anything I had experienced so far. Today's pain (it still hurts this morning) is only in the center of my palm and it's almost like a ghost pain: I can't tell if it's bone related, muscle related, tendon related... so I'm thinking nerve pain. Anyhoo, when I woke up last night, I went to unearth whatever braces I had and I was very chagrined to realize that it was for my right wrist. I have another brace but I couldn't even figure out how to put that one on, either on the left or the right!
So in the end I tried to prop my wrist in a position so it wouldn't get folded under my chin as I slept, which I think created the problem. And then I fell back asleep until my alarm rang so I guess that worked. But my palm is still hurting this morning, and somewhat more, too.
The kittens are very active and bite-y this morning, as in they're biting me. Tabby Kitty is trying to get my attention by burying himself between my legs and "digging" until he's under my laptop and then comes out the side and chews on the corner of it. He's cute and very annoying at the same time :)
I opened the windows again, and the older cats went to sniff the outdoors through the screens right away. I hope that I can keep them open for several hours again.
Plans for the day? Well, I did absolutely nothing yesterday so I ought to try and be productive today. Here is my revised To Do List for Friday:
To Do List:
- Finish painting squirrel sign and assemble it
- Make a lightbox to take better pictures
- Melt down old candles and make into new ones - in progress
- Make "No Soliciting" sign for front door and another one for the other front door (we have two) - I think I'm also going to add "and don't leave your literature either, I'll vote for the other party if you do!"
- Dust the bedrooms (including son's fan) - in progress
- Declutter linen closet
- Clean kitchen cabinets
- Declutter the top of the fridge
- Mend items in mending basket (add Greg's hat)
- Declutter shelves over printer stand
- Declutter storage bench
- Declutter printer stand
- Declutter gardening supplies chest
Defrost the freezer- scrapped off the top of the ice layer. Will need to defrost the whole thing.
- Vacuum living room
- Clean entry room front windows
- Put up pictures on Art Room's walls
- Fold the laundry - in progress
- Put away the laundry
- Mix a bottle of window cleaner for the kitchen
Sweep litter from upstairs- Not needed Clean all three kitten litter boxes- Done
- Wash second big cat litterbox
- Do the dishes
- Put the futon cover back on
- Turn futon mattress over again
- Vacuum fridge's coils
- Vacuum living room
Mix liquid hand soap- Done
- Post menu for next week (Monday)
Defrost meat for tonight- not needed
- Make roselle jelly
- Make Peanut Butter and Jelly Granola bars
- Make crepes for the kids' snacks
- Make Halloween cookies for kids (Monster Brownies?)
Bake bread bowls for tonight or rolls- Done
- Start watching Photography lectures online (see email)
- Read new dSLR Photography e-book
- Write post about Colt Creek State Park visit
- Plan an outing to Leu Botanical gardens or Bok Tower Gardens
- Go for a walk with my camera - little lake near Downtown Clermont
- Return library e-books
- Read "Escape Clause" (due on Tuesday) - Started
Finish watching Season 14 of Law & Order- Done
- Go to Ace to get new broom handle for rubber broom and solar rechargeable batteries for the front yard solar lights -need to see which handle would fit.
- Buy Greg a bike
- Buy a litter box at Family Dollar - Remembered that I had bought a "big cat litterbox" at the thrift store and that I was keeping it for when they were bigger and I'm thinking that they might be big enough for it now...
- Go get floss
- Go buy a left wrist splint
- Transplant ferns into bare patch in front lawn to make shady planter
- Scrub patio pavers with bleach to remove mildew (this might have to wait until the months when it's not quite so hot!)
- Pull the raspberries and add roses in pots in their place
- Add mulch to the vegetable garden once I have replaced the broken self-watering bins
- Pull unwanted plants from center "planter" in the backyard, add soil, plant flowers, add edging around it (watch out for large roots that would be in the way). Make planter with other materials if edging doesn't work. (this will have to wait until Fall when it's not so hot and when I can plant wildflower seeds).
- Turn the composting bin
- Plant wildflower seeds
- Plant seedlings outside
- Measure diameter of feeder "tray" and get new bowl from thrift store
- Water potted plants
- Refill self-watering bins
- Pull weeds from pots and bins
- Call gyneco to make annual appointment - I'll do that once I'm more comfortable with my weight because I know they'll be nagging me about it anyway.
- Use recumbent bike
- Do 5 min of strength exercises
- Log food into My Fitness
- Record exercise in Walgreens Balance Rewards
- Weigh myself (Wednesdays)
- Make "puzzle feeders" for the cats
Give feline joint gel to Male Cat and Mean Kitty (daily)- Done
- Brush kittens
- See if I still have mildew-resistant white paint for bathroom ceiling
- Get Greg to replace the ceiling tile in the entry room
- Test the batteries in all 3 smoke detectors and replace as needed
- Greg to call plumber
- Remind Greg to re-secure chicken wire to AC unit and also to block off opening under front of the house
- Scrub mildew off front of the house (porch, behind bushes, front stairs)
- Install white beadboard in laundry room (will need to measure and purchase)
- Install new stick-on tiles in laundry room (will need to remove ancient ones first)
- Paint laundry room cabinets
- Get Greg to fix/remove rotten wood on front porch
- Make a list of which outlets need to be replaced and call Duke Energy Homewire Protection to schedule appointment
- Ask electrician for estimate on installing outlet on front porch
- Get on flat roof, sweep it, and clean out the front gutter
- Ask Greg to install gutter screens on the front gutter
- Have Greg block the opening in the back fence
- Strengthen BlueTooth transmitter's cord with electric tape (in SUV)
- Caption old pictures that have already been scanned
- Scan more old pictures
- Create spreadsheet to track IRA contributions using ALL our old tax returns - Started but need to do more research.
- Figure out if we should contribute to regular or Roth IRAs for 2016 and fund them - I guess I need to wait until tax time next year, actually. I'll have until April 15, 2017 to fund 2016 IRAs so I need to work on taxes way sooner than I did this year so I'd have time to fund the IRAs and THEN file my taxes.
- Download all blog photos from September to my external drive
- Back up my external drive to my other external drive
- File the remaining loose recipes that I organized already in appropriate recipe binders
- Purge filing cabinet upstairs
- File paperwork - in progress!
- Scan what needs to be scanned (if anything)
- Work on photo album for daughter's graduation
- Reply to my French BFF's email
- Start proceedings for deleting Yahoo Mail account
- Replace music on my phone
- Take RaceTrac surveys
- Update Net Worth document
- Install Photoshop Elements 10 on son's PC
- Recap October's groceries and eating out
- Review 2016 goals and assess progress and what I ought to try to do before the end of the year
Turn on printer to print backlog of documents I sent to printer!- Done
- Print Greg's paystub
- Record it in tax spreadsheet
- Transfer money to savings
- Our son packed a lunch and rode the school bus.
- I packed leftovers for Greg's lunch.
- I brewed a pot of half decaf coffee, using the free decaf won from Wawa.
- Last night, I was reading a blog post that recommended a dSLR Photography e-book that was "free". When I checked on it, it wasn't free but deeply discounted at $2.99. I had to use the "one click" button to buy it, which annoys me because it doesn't let me pick with card to use (it defaults to my Amazon Visa card) so it looked like I would be charged $2.99 and get 3% back in Rewards. This morning, the Amazon invoice was in my inbox and I noticed that it ended up being free since they deducted the amount from the $10 in gift cards (from Bing Rewards) that I had sitting in my account.
- My Coke Rewards announced a triple points promotion for Fanta green caps only on 10/31 only. Here is the list of participating products. I need to see if I have any Fanta green caps.
- It was cool enough that I turned off the AC and left the windows open until 1 p.m.
- I want to go buy a splint for my left wrist and remembered seeing an email from Walgreens about a Friends and Family 20% off coupon so I checked my inbox and sure enough, it's valid today only. So I'll need to go run an errand today. We also need floss and I'll go to RaceTrac to get a freebie and make the trip count a little more. If I'm inspired, I'll look at the Publix deals for the week on IHeartPublix and see if I should stop by Publix. I might also go to Save A Lot since the onions and grapes are on sale (I was mistaken, they're not part of the weekend sale so I could have stopped on Wednesday after all, grrr.)
- A Slickdeals poster shared the upcoming 30% off code for Kohls (TURKEY30, valid starting on 11/9) so I made a note of it. I will use it in conjunction with the $10 in Kohl's cash that we received yesterday via mailer. I need to start thinking about what I might want/need to buy so I'm not stressing at the last minute! Hopefully there'll be a free shipping code too.
- It's naptime for the kittens after their first 2 hours of non-stop romping. The twins crawled on me but they're over 2 lbs each now so it's not as easy for them to sleep on me as it used to be. I just convinced Explorer to curl up on the pillow next to me instead and put Princess in the empty (gasp! Tabby Kitty has elected to sleep on another pillow on the other futon!) cat tree basket.... but since I've started typing this bullet point, she's crawled back on my chest. I love it and I dread it too because now I'm stuck on the couch (she is so cute and she will protest loudly if I move, or move her, or speak, or make any noise other than type on my keyboard!). Of course, I've been drinking my coffee so I have to pee now and there's also the matter of that To Do List that's waiting for me to slash through it! Ah, my daughter saved me by texting me to ask if I could print something for her. I tried to turn on the printer without waking up the cats but the wake-up noise of the printer was very intriguing to them, apparently, so now they're wide awake! I was able to print, go to the bathroom, refill my coffee, grab my breakfast cereal... and sit back on the couch to watch "Law & Order" (library DVD). If I finish it, I can return it to the library today and pick up "Homeland"!
- I asked my daughter to stop by Panera to get me the daily free bagel with her reward if she wasn't going to use it for herself and could find it in her heart to treat her little ol' mom again. And I did the puppy eyes too. Hey, her reward ends in a couple of days and she'll be gone this weekend so I'm doing my part to make sure that reward was actually well-used!
- I printed some Publix store coupons from the Best Meals at Home e-newsletter.
- I went to take a shower upstairs while the 3 kittens had fallen asleep on the next futon after my daughter left for school. I always take very quick showers. I prefer to spend time taking baths instead. Despite the fact that I prefer soap to shower gel, I didn't want to waste the last of the bottle of Dial shower gel that I still had, so I've been using it with the soap sleeve that I had picked up from a soap maker at the Mount Dora Art Show a couple of years ago. It's falling apart now but I recently read a blog post where the blogger crochets (or knits?!) hers and sells them on Etsy. I wish I were crafty enough. I did have on my list to learn how to knit this year and I noticed that the Cooper Memorial Library has a crochet/knitting group on Thursday afternoons. I should stop by and ask if beginners can join. Anyhoo, as I finished taking my shower, I noticed a purry kitten had sneaked into the bathroom and was watching me dry off. Goodness, can't I get privacy anywhere in the house anymore?! Then I walked into my bedroom to get dressed an another purry kitten was waiting for me on top of the clothes I had laid out, warming them up, I'm guessing :) As I was ready to head downstairs, the third kitten was climbing up the stairs to rejoin his siblings, purring, as well. We cuddled for a minute and then he did what the other two were doing at that moment: chewed on the broom that's sitting outside my bedroom. Weirdos.
- For lunch I had the leftover mashed potatoes from several days ago (I put a little bit of cheese on it), a couple of pieces of toast with blue cheese, and a cup of Pedialyte with a packet of FiberPlus (that last one? Pretty gross but since I downed it right after eating the blue cheese toast I could barely taste anything!). My lunch was pretty pathetic.
- Ugh, I got sucked into reading a blog and have been feeling very lazy... Eventually I felt guilty so I put the laundry basket on the couch so I wouldn't be able to ignore it anymore and decided to go brew myself a cup of instant coffee. Once in the kitchen, I decided to get the dough out of the fridge to make rolls for tonight's dinner (instead of bread bowls because, somehow, my dough ended up being very dry) and then to bake a Spiced Apple Cake with Orange Glaze to use up some of the apple butter that's been in my fridge too long. I also used a stick of margarine instead of butter and reused the wrapper to grease my loaf pan. I made buttermilk with some of the sour milk that we have in the fridge and some vinegar.
|It doesn't look great but it tastes pretty good!|
- Then (see "failures"), I had to wash the comforter that's been on the futon for the past 2 days and a cushion. I used cold/cold and will be drying those outdoors.
- My son had set aside an empty jug of cat litter for me so I added it to the line of empty cat litter jugs waiting for some rain to refill my rain barrel...
- I mixed a bottle of liquid hand soap with ingredients that I had on hand. I put some jasmine essential oil in it. It doesn't smell like jasmine, really, but it's a good way for me to use up all those essential oils that I had bought a few years back when I thought I'd be making a lot of my own products. I've been disappointed in their performance for the most part so as soon as I use up the supplies, I'll be going back to a commercial product.
- I filtered a pitcher of tap water with our Brita filter. It will be used for the cats. I used some to make the liquid hand soap too instead of distilled water.
- Time to practice the "positive thoughts" tactique that I posted yesterday because not only did a kitten pee on the couch again, but Greg texted me at the same time that he has to go back to Vancouver in November. I hate it when he's gone. However, it will be a week when we can have breakfast for dinner every night if we want to, and he will be fed for free.
- Redbox emailed me 2 codes for a free movie rental that expire on 10/30. I offered them to my daughter but she's not sure if there's anything she wants to see tonight (she'll be at her dad's tomorrow). I find myself not wanting to sit through a whole movie anymore so they'll probably go unused.
- I earned the daily Bing Rewards credits and a few Swagbucks.
- I watched a couple of shows on Netflix while cuddling with the kittens once they were out of time-out.
- For dinner, I cooked a box of angel hair pasta and meatballs and I served it with my homemade rolls.
- I ended up not running my errands today so no money was spent.
- Greg and I watched several episodes of "That 70s Show" on Netflix after dinner.
- I went to bake while the kittens were asleep. There IS a clean litter box in the living room. They KNOW where it is. When I got back, I could tell someone had peed somewhere they weren't supposed to and, once again, there was a puddle of kitten pee where I sit and on the cushion that I put behind my lower back. A few observations:
- We need a couch cam so I can catch whichever kitten is doing this. Right now I don't know who to be mad at and it's disconcerting.
- Nature's Miracle Urine Destroyer doesn't seem to work as a deterrent.
- As much as I love the kittens, I'm truly annoyed at the behavior. It can't be a urinary problem since it's very intermittent and only happens when I'm not in the room. They're with me most of the time. I make sure there are litter boxes everywhere and they are kept clean. I physically put the kittens in the litter box when I see that they're playing rough but I haven't seen them use the litter box in a while. I shouldn't have to potty train a cat at 2 months of age! Since he/she has peed in that particular spot on repeated occasions, I'm really afraid that he/she won't stop now unless I ban them from the room. We don't have doors (and no way to install one because of the arched plaster walls that we have in the living room) so it's not going to be easy. I pretty much involves me being tough and chasing any cat out of the living room as soon as I see them here. It wasn't easy doing it one cat at a time with the older ones, it's going to be hell doing it with 3 of them when they're so cute and loving. I honestly don't think I'm going to be able to do it.
- As soon as I finished typing this, I spotted 2 kittens on the bookshelf, climbing the books. And then under the TV stand, chewing on a cable. Let's say that in 30 short seconds they have heard the sound of my voice yelling "OUT!" several times. Tabby Kitty went to hide and was looking at me so reproachfully that I started to cry. I feel like a terrible per owner. I need a cat whisperer. I can't reach my tissues because the damn kittens knocked the box off the shelf were it was and it's stuck behind the printer stand. Arrgh.
- I took them to the Cat Room, where there are other distractions and told them to stay there. I guess I'll need to just keep on doing that. They're going to drive my son batty when he tries to do his homework, but then maybe he'll decide to clean up the desk in his room and do his homework there instead of on the couch in the Cat Room :)
- Princess came back 4 times, purring and wanting to cuddle and each time I took her back to the Cat Room. It broke my heart. But I don't know that she's not the one who peed, darn it. Arrrgh.
- Fed kittens
- Packed Greg's lunch (he made a PBJ for breakfast)
- Printed documents
- Printed coupons
- Typed an "errands" list for today on my phone so I can organize them in an order that makes sense and maximizes my mileage
- Finished watching Law & Order DVD
- Replied to an email from my younger brother
- Cleaned out the upstairs litterbox
- Read some blogs
- Gave Male Cat and Mean Kitty their supplement
- Filtered water for the cats
- Mixed a batch of liquid hand soap
- Baked a cake and rolls
- Did a load of laundry (grrr)
- Disciplined the kittens
- Texted my son to warn him the kittens were grounded in the Cat Room
- Updated my calendar with Greg's travel information
- Sent an email to the high school principal, requested an excused absence for the 2 storm make-up days that my son will have to miss to attend his grandfather's funeral service
- Earned reward points
- Cuddled with kittens
- Cooked dinner
- I think I might have a touch of carpal tunnel problem in my left wrist/hand. I was planning on getting a wrist splint today but ended up not running errands. My wrist felt better in the afternoon and as of 8:45 p.m., doesn't hurt... Must be because I really didn't do much at all today!
- For the free bagel my lovely daughter brought me back from Panera
CATS & KITTENS
|This morning Tabby Kitty decided to tunnel under my laptop... while it was on my lap! (yep, it's pretty dirty)|
|He likes chewing on the corner of it like an evil little troll!|
|Later on, the twins, taking a nap on me|
|Yet later on, the three kittens taking a nap on the other futon|
|Male Cat enjoying his joint supplement|
|After grounding the kittens for a couple of hours and banishing them to the Cat Room, I went to get them back so we could cuddle :)|
|My new vantage point from the futon that wasn't peed on.|
|The little beasts, enjoying mad climbing adventures on the tall cat tower.|
|Princess was enjoying sniffing out the open window this morning...|
|... When a breeze started blowing|
|And it really freaked her out! LOL|