Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Just Hangin' ~ Tuesday, 10/18/16



I suppose I should go grocery shopping today since tomorrow I have to take the kittens to their vet's appointment at about mid-day.  Needless to say, I'm not very enthusiastic about going.  I did my usual "I'm only going to Aldi!" declaration last night, but we all know it's a lie. Still, I'd like to keep my stops to a minimum, if I can. 

I was able to renew my Law & Order DVDs for another week, phew!  But there'll still be plenty of L&O watching going on today, since I'll be dealing with the receipts and grocery shopping post anyway.

Otherwise, I've got to return a call from the BathFitter rep to set the appointment for an in-house free estimate.  I hate making calls and hate even more having people over here but I'm curious to see what they would say about our horrible bathrooms.

Oh, I just had all 3 kittens falling asleep in my arms and then my phone dinged and they all left :(

It's 9 a.m. and I'm still in my PJs and now I have Law & Order on so it looks like it'll be afternoon shopping for me if I even go, lol.  The kittens are being very very rambunctious right now, my legs are being shredded to pieces.

Update: well, I ended up not going shopping today. Told you I didn't feel like going!  The vet's appointment is actually earlier than I thought so I might go tomorrow in the afternoon if the kittens are doing OK after their shots, or on Thursday.
  • Crafty/Creative:
    • Finish painting squirrel sign and assemble it
    • Make a lightbox to take better pictures
    • Melt down old candles and make into new ones - in progress
    • Make "No Soliciting" sign for front door and another one for the other front door (we have two) - I think I'm also going to add "and don't leave your literature either, I'll vote for the other party if you do!"
  • Cleaning/Decluttering:
    • Dust the bedrooms (including son's fan) - in progress
    • Declutter linen closet
    • Clean kitchen cabinets - Partly done
    • Declutter the top of the fridge
    • Mend items in mending basket (add Greg's hat)
    • Declutter shelves over printer stand 
    • Declutter storage bench 
    • Declutter printer stand
    • Clean the fridge
    • Declutter gardening supplies chest
    • Defrost the freezer - scrapped off the top of the ice layer. Will need to defrost the whole thing.
    • Sweep/vacuum downstairs bathroom
    • Clean entry room front windows
    • Put up pictures on Art Room's walls
    • Clean downstairs bathroom - cleaned sink and toilet
    • Clean my walking shoes - Done
    • Fold laundry - Done
    • Put laundry away - in progress
    • Sweep litter from upstairs - Done
    • Clean kitten litter boxes - in progress
  • Cooking/Baking/Preserving:
    • Post menu for next week 
    • Defrost meat for tonight - Will bake Barber Chicken
    • Bake cinnamon raisin cranberry bread
    • Bake pumpkin pie
    • Make Roselle jelly
  • Education
    • Start watching Photography lectures online (see email)
    • Write posts about General Van Fleet Trail and research flora and fauna
    • Same with Colt Creek State Park
  • Entertainment
    • Plan an outing to Leu Botanical gardens or Bok Tower Gardens
    • Sign up for ranger hike in local nature preserve at the end of the month
    • Go for a walk with my camera - little lake near Downtown Clermont
  • Errands:
    • Drop off pet coupons at SLAL thrift store
    • Mail Labels for Education to elementary school 
    • Go to Ace to get new broom handle for rubber broom and solar rechargeable batteries for the front yard solar lights -need to see which handle would fit.
    • Buy Greg a bike
  • Gardening/outdoors:
    • Transplant ferns into bare patch in front lawn to make shady planter
    • Scrub patio pavers with bleach to remove mildew (this might have to wait until the months when it's not quite so hot!)
    • Pull the raspberries and add roses in pots in their place
    • Add mulch to the vegetable garden once I have replaced the broken self-watering bins
    • Pull unwanted plants from center "planter" in the backyard, add soil, plant flowers, add edging around it (watch out for large roots that would be in the way). Make planter with other materials if edging doesn't work. (this will have to wait until Fall when it's not so hot and when I can plant wildflower seeds).
    • Plant passion flower vine seeds
    • Turn the composting bin
    • Harvest the roselles
    • Plant wildflower seeds
    • Refill rest of cat litter jugs at rainbarrel -Done
    • Plant seedlings outside
    • Add water to pineapple jars -Done
    • Put suet cake on feeder pole -Done
    • Measure diameter of feeder "tray" and get new bowl from thrift store
    • Add mealworms to tray feeder
  • Health:
    • Call gyneco to make annual appointment - I'll do that once I'm more comfortable with my weight because I know they'll be nagging me about it anyway.
    • Use recumbent bike 
    • Do 5 min of strength exercises 
    • Log food into My Fitness 
    • Record exercise in Walgreens Balance Rewards
    • Weigh myself (Wednesdays) 
  • Kittens/Cats
  • Maintenance:
    • See if I still have mildew-resistant white paint for bathroom ceiling
    • Get Greg to replace the ceiling tile in the entry room
    • Test the batteries in all 3 smoke detectors and replace as needed
    • Greg to call plumber
    • Wash the bathroom ceiling with bleached water - Done
    • Remind Greg to re-secure chicken wire to AC unit and also to block off opening under front of the house
    • Scrub mildew off front of the house (porch, behind bushes, front stairs)
    • Install white beadboard in laundry room (will need to measure and purchase)
    • Install new stick-on tiles in laundry room (will need to remove ancient ones first)
    • Paint laundry room cabinets
    • Get Greg to fix/remove rotten wood on front porch
    • Make a list of which outlets need to be replaced and call Duke Energy Homewire Protection to schedule appointment
    • Ask electrician for estimate on installing outlet on front porch
    • Get on flat roof, sweep it, and clean out the front gutter
    • Ask Greg to install gutter screens on the front gutter
    • Have Greg block the opening in the back fence
    • Strengthen BlueTooth transmitter's cord with electric tape (in SUV) 
    • Pour Drano down the kitchen sink (for maintenance)
    • Schedule free in-home estimate with BathFitters
  • Technology/Paperwork:
    • Caption old pictures that have already been scanned
    • Scan more old pictures
    • Create spreadsheet to track IRA contributions using ALL our old tax returns - Started but need to do more research.
    • Figure out if we should contribute to regular  or Roth IRAs for 2016 and fund them - I guess I need to wait until tax time next year, actually. I'll have until April 15, 2017 to fund 2016 IRAs so I need to work on taxes way sooner than I did this year so I'd have time to fund the IRAs and THEN file my taxes.
    • Download all blog photos from September to my external drive - Moved June through August today
    • Back up my external drive to my other external drive
    • File the remaining loose recipes that I organized already in appropriate recipe binders
    • Purge filing cabinet upstairs
    • File paperwork - in progress!
    • Write new letter to great grand aunt (include kitten photos)
    • Go through the genealogical material crate - Decided to keep most of the materials as I don't have time to make sure it's all been input in my database yet. I did shred some things.
    • Scan what needs to be scanned (if anything)
    • Work on photo album for daughter's graduation
    • Reply to my French BFF's email
    • Start proceedings for deleting Yahoo Mail account
    • Compare genealogy family sheet (see email inbox) with what I have in my database - Done
    • Replace music on my phone
    • Sort coupons 
    • Take RaceTrac surveys 
    • Update Net Worth document
    • Install Photoshop Elements 10 on son's PC
    • Call BathFitter to schedule in-home estimate
    • Pay bills - Done
    • Balance checkbook - Done

FRUGAL SUCCESSES
  • I brewed a pot of half caf coffee with the free bag of decaf I had won from Wawa. I can't wait until this is over because, honestly, half decaf isn't doing it for me and I want some flavored coffee now without splurging for the expensive flavored creamers.

  • Our son packed a lunch to take to school and rode the school bus.

  • I renewed the L&O DVDs from the library, online.

  • I was able to request 9 samples from SampleSource.


  • I earned the daily Bing Rewards credits and a few Swagbucks.

  • I scheduled several bill payments online (no stamps, no envelopes and no having to remember to mail them!) for free.

  • I balanced our checkbook.

  • For lunch I finished the potato salad and made fried egg sandwiches. I'm so off my diet, it's not even funny.

  • I drove my son to RaceTrac to redeem a survey reward code for a free apple fritter donut. (I decided not to go grocery shopping today).

  • I used the good zip ties that I bought at Ace last weekend to reattach my basket to my bike.

  • I earned 25 KFR points by entering bonus code SCARYGOODSAVINGS into my Kellogg's Family Rewards account.


  • I printed some new coupons from Smartsource.

  • I put Season 14 of Law & Order on hold with my library system.

  • I worked on my genealogy database, using materials that I had downloaded for free.

  • For dinner, I cooked 2 boxes of the Barber Foods Chicken Cordon Bleu and some rice.


SPLURGES
  • I told Greg to buy lunch today as I didn't have any leftovers (just pasta) and I really dislike packing sandwiches in the morning. Yes, I could have packed a sandwich last night. Oh well. He deserves a little treat :)

  • Gas to drive to RaceTrac and back.

FAILURES
  • My blueberry swirl sour cream bread didn't turn out. First off, the "skin" slipped off when I got it out of the pan so it looked horrible. Secondly, the recipe book states that it's more of a coffee cake type of bread than yeast bread. Uh no.  It's bread with some very faint (and very little of it too!) swirl of purple. Doesn't take like blueberry and looks horrible.  Next time I'll just bake a proper coffee cake!

ACCOMPLISHMENTS
  • Kitten duty
  • Cooked Greg's breakfast
  • Renewed library DVDs
  • Replied to blog comments
  • Ran dehumidifier in the bathroom
  • Folded laundry
  • Started putting the laundry away
  • Paid bills
  • Balanced checkbook
  • Put some more laundry away
  • Clean the upstairs litter box
  • Swept litter
  • Wiped downstairs bathroom sink and toilet
  • Sprayed bleach in shower stall
  • Wiped bathroom mirror
  • Washed bathroom ceiling with bleach and water
  • Put suet cake out on bird feeder pole
  • Refilled all empty cat litter jugs with rain water from the rain barrel
  • Watered the roses, hibiscus and vincas again
  • Reattached basket to my bike
  • Tightened my kickstand
  • Added water to my pineapple jars (used rain water)
  • Drove my son to RaceTrac
  • Took the trash cans back up the driveway
  • Swept the top of the driveway, stairs and pathway in front of the house
  • Pulled weeds from pathway
  • Printed coupons
  • Swept the stairs to daughter's room
  • Swept the kitchen
  • Took a customer survey
  • Shredded pile of stuff that was waiting to be shredded
  • Went through crate of genealogy materials and shredded a few things
  • Did some genealogy research inputting
  • Cooked dinner
  • Took recycling down the curb for collection

HEALTH
  • Didn't diet or exercise. I'm hating myself for this but I just don't have the motivation or energy right now.
GRATITUDE
  • For being able to spend a quiet day at home, working on my chores and cuddling with kittens.

KITTENS

So I found out that covering food is a very common behavior in cats. It's an instinct that kicks in when they want to protect their food from predators.  Cats do that in the wild.  I still think that kitten's father was a squirrel!

Princess started doing the same thing today, so I decided to move the food and water bowls in front of the fireplace, where it is tiled, and take the towel away.

Princess cuddling in my arms this morning

Then all three were cuddling on me although I couldn't get a good enough angle to photograph all three!

Time to help mom with the laundry!

Tabby Kitty was promoted to supervisor...

But I caught him sleeping on the job!

In my neighbor's yard... I think this is a Bird of Paradise (?)
How was your Tuesday?

10 comments:

  1. Nooo! I had typed up a long comment and my computer deleted it! I was saying you might not have gone grocery shopping today, but you crossed off a lot of items on your to do list! And that Princess looked like Cleopatra in the first picture, but seemed rather unimpressed with her brother's paw against her face in the next picture. Loved the kittens helping fold the laundry and Tabby Kitty sleeping on the job! I'm sorry the blueberry swirl bread didn't turn out OK. That's weird that the "skin" came off when you went to take it out of the pan! Yes, that is a Bird of Paradise in your neighbor's yard - very beautiful, isn't it?

    Hope the kittens do well at the vet's tomorrow and you have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argh, that happens to me all the time too, Bless! And every time I think "I'm going to start typing up all my comments in Word and then copy and paste them into Blogger" and then I never do it.

      The bread machine definitely didn't mix the blueberries in well, they all ended up forming a crust on one side of the bread but at the bottom of the loaf in the machine, which formed a "skin" rather than a crust that came off, like a glove, when I removed the loaf from the machine. It was bizarre. It's one of those breads that actually tastes better the next day. It doesn't taste like blueberries at all but with some butter on top, it's not bad. So it's not a complete waste but I think I'll just stick with more traditional bread recipes in that machine from now on!

      Delete
  2. That is a Bird of Paradise plant. They look so exotic, but it's not warm enough here to grow them. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was much younger, my mom had gone to Martinique with my stepdad (he's from there) and taken pictures of Birds of Paradise. They indeed looked so exotic and I never imagined that one day I'd have one growing in almost-my-front-yard, hahaha (it's between our 2 driveways).

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness I have just had my dinner shepherds pie and sweetcorn with tiramisu for dessert and now I've seen your apple fritter (yum) and read about your fried egg sandwiches and now I want those as well. I can see a good reason for me not being a spritely thin forty something! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll join you in that. Goodness, I was doing so well with my exercise and my diet and then we got the kittens and then everything went to hell. I'm back to not being motivated and avoiding the scale. It's ridiculous!

      Hmmm, tiramisu! One of my favorite desserts! And shepherd's pie! I love that too! Now I'm the one who's drooling!

      Delete
  4. When would you have had time to go shopping today? Funny! You said you are not feeling very energized or motivated. Maybe you're just not motivated to go shopping, because you sure did accomplish a lot today. Look at that list. I could only dream of getting that much done in a single day.

    Brucie lo-o-oves getting into a basket of laundry that has been dried outside on the line. He doesn't sleep in dirty laundry, or clean laundry from the dryer....only line-dried outdoor laundry. He is an indoor cat, so maybe it is the smell of outdoors he likes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is hysterical! What a discerning cat... or maybe a couple of squirrels rub themselves on your laundry before you bring it in and he smells them on it!

      Delete
  5. I'm laughing at your "laundry supervisor" comment!

    And now I want tiramisu...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back when Male Cat was little and we were still marveling at his 6 toes per foot, I had high hopes that I'd be able to teach him how to fold the laundry one day (back then he was fascinated with the laundry. He was about the age the kittens are right now). But those 6 toes are wasted on him, he never learned to do much of anything with them, ha.

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!