Thursday, October 13, 2016

Pissing Off The Kittens ~ Thursday 10/13/16



Once again the kittens slept upstairs in my bedroom. Because it can get a little chilly in there at night (that room has 2 vents when all the others only have one), I put their fluffy bed on top of my bed, hoping they'd sleep in that.  But no,  I found them curled up around it, on top of the duvet.  Once again, they hadn't eaten or drank or, seemingly, used the litterbox.

Like yesterday, I brought them down right away and they ate breakfast there and, like yesterday, they spent the first hour playing around and ignoring me.  Then they came to cuddle a little but they went back to sleep in the basket of their cat tree, all three of them snuggled in there.

So I took my Kindle and my coffee and I went to sit outside on the patio. The weather was gorgeous and I stayed until noon. I didn't see any birds at the feeders, though, and barely spotted any at all, although I could hear calls in the trees around the house.  I should have bought the suet cakes I saw at Aldi yesterday.

When I came back inside, the kittens were snuggled together on a pillow close to where I usually sit, but awake.  They came off the couch and started playing with my feet, so I sat down and played with them for a minute, but when back outside to get my stuff that I had left on the patio.  Then I noticed that my back seat felt... wet?

I touched it, smelled my hand, and it smelled faintly of cat pee.  What the...?!  I went back to check the futon, and right there, in the middle of where I usually sit, one of them had peed (or maybe even all three, it was a lot of pee), all over the comforter that I have been using as a couch cover and the pillow I use for lumbar support when I'm sitting down.  I was hoping that the mattress might have been spared, but now, it's soaked through too.  Arrrrgghh.  My futon is now going to stink of cat pee for years to come!  And let's remember it's where I sleep at night too!

I'm washing the pillow and comforter in hot water and sponging off the mattress with a thick bath towel.  Once it has dried off a little, I'll probably pour Febreeze on there!  The kittens, meanwhile, made themselves scarce and are back to ignoring me.  I'll bet they were fighting and one of them had been holding it a little too long.  Ugh.  Either that or they were very "pissed" at me for leaving them all morning again.

FRUGAL SUCCESSES
  • I packed leftover pizza for Greg to take to work.

  • I brewed 2 pots of half caf with the free decaf coffee that I had won from Wawa.

  • Our son packed a lunch to take to school and rode the school bus.

  • I placed the order on the Kohl's website for my new walking shoes. They still weren't on sale, but I was able to use the 30% off code that had been posted on Slickdeals and automatically received free shipping as an MVC member. I also redeemed $15 in Kohl's cash. So my $80 shoes ended up costing me $48.69.  I ordered them in half a size larger than my usual size, as several commenters had recommended.  I charged it to my Kohl's charge so no rewards there, but I'll get about 135 SB as I went through the Swagbucks shopping portal (3 SB per $ spent) and if I find another $4.50 to spend, I'll get $10 back in Kohl's cash.  I guess I should have found something else to buy.
It's still expensive for shoes but the rave reviews from people who've been wearing that brand for years and who work all day on their feet really convinced me. With my heel problems, I wanted to try to get as comfortable a walking shoe as I could. I hope I won't be disappointed!
  • I spent the morning reading a library book on the back patio. I opened the sliding door for our adult cats to enjoy a whiff of the outdoors and the birds' tweeting.

  • Ibotta credited my account for the rebate I submitted yesterday.


  • CVS emailed me a new coupon that I uploaded to my ExtraCare card.

  • I had taken a Swagbucks survey that never credited last night and opened a ticket about it. They credited my account with the 65 SB that were missing.

  • I then spent the afternoon reading more of my library book.  Yes, I have been living a life of leisure all week. I don't know if it's the change of seasons or what but I've lost all motivation.  The kittens took another hour-long nap on me mid-afternoon and I fell asleep with them again!  This time I had all 3 on me. Tabby Kitty was stretched on my thighs and the "twins" were across my throat. At some point I started snoring and it woke them up and they protested, lol!




At the end of our nap some neighbor rudely kept on banging on my front door so I put the kittens on the couch
to go answer the door. I thought they would wake up but they kept sleeping for another hour after that!
Anyway, this time it wasn't the kittens that were pissed off, it was me. I hate visitors and I hate it when someone
bangs on my door. I don't think that neighbor will be back.
  • My daughter redeemed her Free Bagel a Day reward from Panera and brought me back a surprise Asiago Cheese Bagel again today!


  • For dinner I made a Publix Apron recipe with Pork Tenderloin, Onion Soup Mix and Mushrooms. I can't remember what it's called and I'm too tired (seriously?!  Yes, seriously!) to go check it, but it was super delicious. I cooked a box of fettuccine to go with it.


SPLURGES

  • A new pair of walking shoes for myself
  • Gas for my daughter to go to her college classes.

FAILURES
  • Nothing that I can think of except that my diet was poor again today and that I didn't exercise either.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS
  • Fed the kittens
  • Order new walking shoes
  • Cooked breakfast for Greg
  • Packed him a lunch
  • Read a book :)
  • Washed the futon's comforter and a pillow
  • Fed the kittens
  • Continued reading a book
  • Provided "nap support" for the kittens
  • Swept the kitchen, entry room, breezeway, exercise room, and part of the living room
  • Cooked dinner
  • Fed the cats


GRATITUDE
  • For beautiful weather
  • For my daughter gifting me a surprise bagel again :)

NATURE
Scenes from my backyard this morning...

Turkey vulture

A new rose about to bloom

A butterfly taking a rest atop a sweet potato vine leaf

One of the many lizards on the patio

Dragonfly

12 comments:

  1. Ooh, those naughty kittens! The pet supplies store might have something to neutralize the odor - you really need to get the odor off so that they won't go in the same spot, again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Someone" peed again on the same spot this morning so you're 100% correct. After reading your comment (but before I realized that they had peed again!), I went to find the canister of ExStink that Greg's mom had given us many years ago for another stinky problem we were having. So I shook some of that powder on the spot when I realized they had gone again.

      In subsequent comments, other readers mentioned "Nature's Miracle" so I might need to go to Petco this weekend and grab a bottle. Grrrr. I thought I was done obsessing about their pee and poop habits and now it's worse. I haven't been able to relax all day. Every time one sits down somewhere, I swoop in, scoop the kitten and sits its little butt in the litter box, lol.

      Delete
  2. Have you tried the Nature's Miracle product? It's for cleaning up animal messes and it's the best thing I've found to combat cat urine. One of the problems we've had with one of our cats is that if she can still sense any lingering urine odor, she'll keep peeing in that spot. >:-/
    The nature's miracle worked reasonably well to combat that problem.

    Your pork and mushrooms recipe sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. You're right, they're going to keep on peeing in the same spot over and over again, I'm afraid. They already peed again this morning before I saw your comment. Grr. I think it's because they hold it all night (they don't seem to be using the upstairs litter box in my bedroom at all!) and then they eat and drink and start playing right away when I bring them down and when the need strikes, they're "too far" away from the litter box (we have one right there in the living room but I guess 3 feet is still too far, when you gotta go, you gotta go!) and they pee where they are. Grrr. Starting tomorrow I'm not going to set up their Ripple Rug (favorite toy), food or water until they've first peed in the litter box.

      I don't have Nature's Miracle but thanks for the recommendation. I did have an old canister of ExStink that Greg's mom had given us several years ago for another stinky mess so I used that on the futon this morning. If I go out this weekend, I will stop by Petco to see if they have it. I did see, on their website, that there are several versions. Can you tell me which one works for you?

      The Publix Apron recipe for the Mushroom Pork Tenderloin is here (Mushroom Pork Tenderloin). It's super easy to make and delicious (even better the 2nd day, according to Greg). I didn't make the bruschetta, though.

      Delete
    2. I believe that we have used the Urine Destroyer. When I was looking up the different varieties, I saw that they have one specifically targeted at cat messes. If would get either of those two. Since we transitioned to mostly hardwood floors we have much less of a problem with pee happening out of the litter box so I'm having to cast back a bit!

      Thanks for the recipe!

      Delete
  3. Do you ever use one the enzymes like Natures Miracle on cat pee, throw up, etc. It reacts with the urine and negates it. It's something you might try on your futon. It does help.

    I particularly enjoyed your pictures today--especially the one with the kittens under your chin and the lizard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. I was sad not to see any cute birdies to photograph, but glad I could find something to photograph nonetheless!

      Thank you for the Nature's Miracle recommendation. You're the 2nd person to recommend it. Is there a particular version of it that you recommend? Their website seem to show different products all with the same name. I'll look for it at Petco if I go out this weekend. In the meantime, I shook some ExStink odor control powder on the futon this morning. We've had it for a long time, I hope it works. In case it doesn't, I parked my pretty large butt on top of a towel on top of the specific spot most of the day to prevent them from going there... for a 3rd time, since one of them (probably Explorer) peed in the same spot again this morning before I had put the ExStink down :( I hope this doesn't turn into a serious problem.

      Delete
  4. Those little bums. I am going with the explanation that one of them had an accident, until they prove me wrong. You may have to place a garbage bag or some kind of plastic sheet down under the futon cover, just in case. Now that one of them (or all of them) have gone there once, they may take that as permission to use that spot again. Little monsters, I mean...those little cuties. How could your heart not melt when they want to be with you all the time. And you are their main source of "nap support". Ha.

    Loved seeing your backyard pictures again. It seems so long ago now that you would give us photo tours of the garden and the wildlife that inhabited it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has felt like a long time to me too, and now I'm really grieving the fact that all my birdy friends seem to have disappeared, even though none of those species are migratory here in Florida. Even the Mourning Doves that used to stuff their faces at the cardinal feeder have disappeared :(

      I agree that it probably was an accident but then it happened again this morning and I also witnessed Princess peeing on the Ripple Rug. Arrgh. I threw the rug in the wash but the futon is more problematic. I spread some ExStink Odor Control Power on it but I might look for the Nature's Miracle that's been recommended in a couple of other comments just in case.

      They do melt my heart but I'm not enjoying a living room that smells like cat pee. Bath & Body Works scented candles to the rescue in the meantime (until they figure out how to climb on the mantelpiece and then I won't be able to have scented candles again until I banish them to the Cat Room permanently, LOL.)

      Delete
  5. I was going to comment on your post from a few days ago (when you mentioned plantar fasciitis) that I started buying the Ryka brand shoes. Somehow I commented something else and forgot about it. And here you are, already ordered that brand without me having recommended it.

    Ryka is the only brand I've been wearing for about a year or so. I don't know if the pain subsided because of that, but the shoes feel comfortable. I generally buy them at Bealls when they have a good sale and a coupon on top of that. I usually end up paying $30 - $40 for the pair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the feedback! I got mine today and put them on right away and ooooh, they really are THAT comfortable! I've been wearing them in the house all afternoon. There were cheaper models of the same brand on Kohls.com but I went with the more expensive one, hoping it would provide even better comfort. But all the models seemed to be highly rated.

      The closest Bealls to me (if it's still there!) is in Winter Garden, about 25-30 minutes away. I might have to look there next time, though. I had never heard of Rykä until I searched for "walking shoes for women" on the Kohl's website. I was going to buy Asics because my comfy ones were Asics and from the Kohl's website but I guess they were running shoes and not walking shoes because I couldn't find any Asics walking shoes. Oh well, I'm excited about the Rykä and can't wait to try them on a trail and see how my foot does!

      Delete

Anything you'd like to add? Share away!